**Official Philadelphia 76ers Thread 2022/2023 Regular Season*

4for4EaglesNest

Ugh. For my money I’m not giving the final shot to soft Tobias, dude isn’t a closer in any sense of the word. 

Shake is the best ball handler (besides Maxey) on the team and he was the high scorer.  Why is Ben handling the ball the last few possessions?  This loss is on the coach.

• Like 1

Maxey is 6'3" with a 6.7.75 wingspan

Shake 6'5" with a 7' wingspan 

They have the size to play both guard spots and even though they won't get the assist numbers that Simmons has, Joel can make up for it by passing out of the post. 

Wonder if Morey might start looking for a wing player that can create off the dribble and shoot instead of a ball handler. 

Simmons just doesn't shoot enough or well enough from distance if you are building around Joel, period. 

Porter/Will Barton for Simmons 

Beal for Simmons/Thybulle/picks

Patrick Williams/Lavine for Simmons/Thybulle/Future protected 1st 

And a crazy one

Simmons/Thybulle for Anthony Edwards/Malik Beasley/Jaden McDaniels/Future 1st (Edwards is the slasher on the wings and while his 3 point shot has not fallen he is shooting 77% FT. Beasley is shooting 38.7% from 3. Jaden is just a prospect that has a Harris type feel to him. 

Just now, ggs5008 said:

How much value does ben actually have? If we all see how bad he is, can't other gms?

That is the million dollar question. In a certain system he might work but not with an elite post big. 

I tried to find teams that make sense for Ben and not many teams to be honest. 

Nuggets need a defender, not scorer 

Shoot your shot with Beal

Bulls need to blow it up so Ben could be a future centerpiece for them

TWolves still not winning and KAT might say he wants to play with his friend. No pressure in Minnesota 

7 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Ugh. For my money I’m not giving the final shot to soft Tobias, dude isn’t a closer in any sense of the word. 

They gotta transition to trusting shake and Tyrese. We have the pieces, but we are not trusting what we have. Classic baby boomers thinking. Those young boys just can't do it they say. Hide the truth and force a trade they say. Tell shake the truth and hand him the keys. Just because Tobias got the brinks truck does mean he can got to the bank.

Per Pompey, the Sixers were so sure of the Harden trade,  they told Simmons to be ready.  His agent basically told him to start packing.

Lucky it went down before our next game.  We almost Okafor'd him. 

I have always been of the opinion that Simmons/Embiid were never going to be good enough after watching them together in the offense...but I was also of the opinion that you really have no choice but to ride it out and hope to get lucky.  What else are you going to do?  We just saw how tricky it is to trade one for a proven star who is better than they are.

They are the result of the process and you just have to let them play and hope for the best.  I never wanted to trade one and build around the other.

But at some point, enough certainty creeps in that it's not going to happen.  Embiid misses enough games, Simmons remains sufficiently useless on offense.  When you reach that point, you don't trade one of them to build around the other.  You just trade both for as many picks as you can get.

I think that time will be no later than this offseason and potentially as early as the trade deadline.

8 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I have always been of the opinion that Simmons/Embiid were never going to be good enough after watching them together in the offense...but I was also of the opinion that you really have no choice but to ride it out and hope to get lucky.  What else are you going to do?  We just saw how tricky it is to trade one for a proven star who is better than they are.

They are the result of the process and you just have to let them play and hope for the best.  I never wanted to trade one and build around the other.

But at some point, enough certainty creeps in that it's not going to happen.  Embiid misses enough games, Simmons remains sufficiently useless on offense.  When you reach that point, you don't trade one of them to build around the other.  You just trade both for as many picks as you can get.

I think that time will be no later than this offseason and potentially as early as the trade deadline.

Unless embiid keeps getting injured, or loses his conditioning again,   he's not getting traded this off-season. He's back to MVP level right now. 

Ben has to go before the off-season. I think he needs to go by the deadline or is too late.  Even now,  I think it's time to settle our expectations in to the Russell/Rozier tier and hope for someone a good a McCollum or LaVine, rather than hoping for Kawhi, Harden, etc. His value isn't there anymore.  

We were adding in 2 firsts and a pick swap. 2 years ago,  wouldn't have needed that. 

1 hour ago, ggs5008 said:

Shake should be getting every last possession.  

Why it went to Simmons on the inbound I have no idea. Shake was the hot hand and instead you had Ben throw it out of bounds and Harris turn it over because he was stuck in an awful spot. 

18 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Unless embiid keeps getting injured, or loses his conditioning again,   he's not getting traded this off-season. He's back to MVP level right now. 

Ben has to go before the off-season. I think he needs to go by the deadline or is too late.  Even now,  I think it's time to settle our expectations in to the Russell/Rozier tier and hope for someone a good a McCollum or LaVine, rather than hoping for Kawhi, Harden, etc. His value isn't there anymore.  

We were adding in 2 firsts and a pick swap. 2 years ago,  wouldn't have needed that. 

A player in that tier +Embiid are not competing for a title.  That's why you trade both, IMO.  

2 years ago, you would have gotten more for Simmons.  2 years for now, you won't get as much for Embiid.  You need to give up something good to get something good.

24 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

A player in that tier +Embiid are not competing for a title.  That's why you trade both, IMO.  

2 years ago, you would have gotten more for Simmons.  2 years for now, you won't get as much for Embiid.  You need to give up something good to get something good.

I think they'll compete for a championship trading Simmons for someone in that tier.  It'd be a massive upgrade in offensive cohesiveness.

People act like we need to replace Ben with another super star as if he is a super star and we can't sieves from that. 

He not.  And guys in that tier are an improvement over what we have now. 

I'm not against trading Embiid. I've been the only one in here saying I'd trade both for a while now.  I just know they're not doing it while he's having this resurgence.

35 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

I think they'll compete for a championship trading Simmons for someone in that tier.  It'd be a massive upgrade in offensive cohesiveness.

People act like we need to replace Ben with another super star as if he is a super star and we can't sieves from that. 

He not.  And guys in that tier are an improvement over what we have now. 

I'm not against trading Embiid. I've been the only one in here saying I'd trade both for a while now.  I just know they're not doing it while he's having this resurgence.

Perfect time to do it.

Didn’t see it live, but watched the recap and checked out the box score... I see our second "superstar” had 11 damn points with Embiid out. 

On the plus side, Shake is still the man. Should have been running the O through him down the stretch. 

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Per Pompey, the Sixers were so sure of the Harden trade,  they told Simmons to be ready.  His agent basically told him to start packing.

Lucky it went down before our next game.  We almost Okafor'd him. 

CBS kind of puts it together that the rockets owner was likely behind that trade not happening 

You can imagine the timeline going like this: New Rockets GM Rafael Stone's talks with Brooklyn and Philadelphia boil down to decision time, at which point he realizes the Nets' offer, while rich in draft equity, lacks the franchise-cornerstone piece that the Sixers can offer in Simmons. He's leaning heavily toward Philly, strongly enough for word to trickle down to Simmons, at which point Fertitta steps in and kills the deal. 
The math adds up here because had Fertitta made it known to Stone from the start, explicitly, that a deal with the Sixers was not going to happen, while Stone still could've, and almost certainly would've, kept negotiations with Philly open for leverage against the Nets, it never would've gone as far as Simmons being told to expect a trade. 

No right-thinking GM -- particularly one getting his first shot at running his own club with presumably no interest in torching his credibility with front offices, players and agents throughout the league -- would knowingly deceive people to that length. More likely, Stone believed he had the green light to make the best deal possible, got set to make that deal, then had the plug pulled by his owner. 

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

CBS kind of puts it together that the rockets owner was likely behind that trade not happening 

You can imagine the timeline going like this: New Rockets GM Rafael Stone's talks with Brooklyn and Philadelphia boil down to decision time, at which point he realizes the Nets' offer, while rich in draft equity, lacks the franchise-cornerstone piece that the Sixers can offer in Simmons. He's leaning heavily toward Philly, strongly enough for word to trickle down to Simmons, at which point Fertitta steps in and kills the deal. 
The math adds up here because had Fertitta made it known to Stone from the start, explicitly, that a deal with the Sixers was not going to happen, while Stone still could've, and almost certainly would've, kept negotiations with Philly open for leverage against the Nets, it never would've gone as far as Simmons being told to expect a trade. 

No right-thinking GM -- particularly one getting his first shot at running his own club with presumably no interest in torching his credibility with front offices, players and agents throughout the league -- would knowingly deceive people to that length. More likely, Stone believed he had the green light to make the best deal possible, got set to make that deal, then had the plug pulled by his owner. 

Yeah in the article where pompey said they thought Simmons was gone,  it was said it's not likely Maxey was the deal breaker. Even though he's playing so well,  hes a late first rounder 13 games in to his career. More likely Fertitta simply did not want to do a deal with Philly. 

• Like 2

Dont really agree with whats written in the tweet. No one forced ben to pick up his dribble. The stop dribble and jump pass is what he does. They doubled him below the FT line and anticipated his jump pass kickout. Its no one's fault but Bens that he has no handle to navigate this situation better. 

Keep the dribble alive, shuffle back to create space, drive if it opens up, or find a place to swing it. Dont just jump and hope someone is there. 

Also, I said when we signed Dwight that this was going to be a bad pairing on the court. As you try to stagger Joel and Ben's time to minimize their time on the court together, its going to lead to more Ben and Howard together, which is even worse. 2 guys who cant from outside of arms reach of the rim. 

Dwight is a nice backup center. Ben has got to go.