Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

19 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Why?

Well the thinking here is that Rosie offered him more than HC money to stay on as DC. So Rosie really valued him at that job. Now this is assuming he already knew all the information he found out about his ‘distractions.’ Because we really didn’t find out necessarily all Rosie found out about Gannon was guilty of. But it seemed clear to me the whole time that if we couldn’t get Fangio….the dropoff was a large one at the DC coaching position. Seemed fairly obvious Desai was getting the job.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the way I see it Rosie was trying really hard to retain Gannon so he didn’t need to fall back on Desai.

The Cards HC job I consider to be one of the weakest HC opportunities to have reached for. Gannon had a fantastic opportunity here to have achieved so much more. He jumped after the worst HC job. Looking like a fairly dumb move to me. He stayed here one more season he surely would have better jobs come knocking next season.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Honestly really don’t see a down side to playing Jurgens at RG if he is the best man for the job.

Steen isn’t going to get the chemistry bonus if in 2-3 years Kielce and Lane both hang them up he will be playing next to two new guys regardless.

Same goes for Jurgens and it isn’t like we can’t still give reps to Jurgens at C during the time Kelce is still playing…. Extra reps with the 2nd team isn’t going to hurt Jurgens any 

Think it can really go either way. Steen is a G. So having him be capable of taking over day one at RG would be a great start. You are looking at getting Jurgens on the field at G before he switches to C. But I’m seeing it the opposite. Getting Steen right in at his actual position is actually the best option. I know several fans here laugh at me being critical of arm length for a T. But that’s exactly the main drawback of Steen. He’s considered a G because of this shortcoming. But could see him being a backup T option. So if Jurgens actually did beat out Steen…then Steen could cross train more. LT backup feels like the most crucial job possibly missing with Dillard’s departure. So roster management wise having Driscoll and Steen both G/T capable backups really would be a great potential luxury.

See what I’m saying though BG? I see your angle of wanting Jurgens to get on the field. But I’m looking at the most optimal outcome being Steen winning RG and immediately taking over his permanent job.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:20 AM, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Sooooo if Jurgens wins the RG spot and then plays well over the next 1-3 years however long Kelce keeps playing do we look to move him to C then or just look for another new C replacement? Leave Jurgens at RG? 

Way too far down the road. But you weigh out all your options at that time. The offseason Kelce retires you have to look at all available options. What FA are available? What possible trades? What does the draft offer?

On 5/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bleedinggreen93 said:

So again if he is the best option at RG you would rather him sit for 2-3 more years rather then put the best 5 man OL on the field during a SB window? 

I clearly stated I believe you always go with your best five man Oline option. Not just looking at one spot amongst that group. It has to be the best collective to field. Basically the logic could end up dictating playing a guy at his lesser position potentially if it is the best whole Oline grouping. Kind of like moving Mailata to RT to bring in Dillard at LT. Gave the best whole.

On 5/18/2023 at 3:13 PM, Bleedinggreen93 said:

So who beats Jurgen for the RG spot Kelce himself seems extremely high on Jurgens that impressive praise for a guy… only real competition it seems is Steen the rookie we drafted. 

Definitely the case that Steen makes sense to start day 1 but no real guarantee Lane or Kelce call it quits anytime soon both could easily play 3+ seasons… Do we just sit Jurgens 2-3 more seasons to wait for Kelce to hang them up? 

I think Kelce and Lane are very possibly on their last season. Lane been dealing with a bunch of things to be able to play. Mental depressions. Rumored painkiller addiction. Then having to play through that injury last year. His offseason spent with surgery and rehabbing is difficult.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bleedinggreen93 said:

So again if he is the best option at RG you would rather him sit for 2-3 more years rather then put the best 5 man OL on the field during a SB window? 

I never said this. I actually stated fielding the best five man Oline as a whole specifically.

20 hours ago, joemas6 said:

If you are a Jalen Hurts fan... you want the best 5 man unit blocking for him.  It's really not complicated.  

First sentence is correct. However it can be fairly complicated. Many questions tend to arise during the season. You have to choose whether to move guys or not. Like if we suffer a starting Oline to injury that only will have him miss one week. You might not choose to move players around as much to fill out the Oline. Where as if a starter goes down for the season. Then you know it’s a long term move. So all options are on the table.

18 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/american-sports/philadelphia-eagles-lane-johnson-injury-30027401

"almost three months to the day after the operation, Johnson has provided an update on his rehabilitation.

Johnson confirmed that he is cleared to take full part in off-season work with the Eagles. In a short message on Twitter, the right tackle wrote: "Officially cleared!”

I really don’t think Lane continues on too much longer. I noticed his contract doesn’t incentivize him to reach deep to come back either. He’s been paid most of his money already. Tiny little base salary ahead. 

His contract been converted to signing bonus and option bonus and restructure bonus money.

No doubt rewarded by Rosie for gutting out the postseason almost Lombardi run through tough injury.

Kelce is opposite. They’ve made sure to have massive financial reasoning to make it hard to quit. Gotta remember how little the money Kelce was earning for most of his career. C just isn’t a high paying position. So they finally made it one to give every reason for him to find it hard to walk away.

45 mil dead cap on Lane after this season. Not sure how that plays out in a retirement scenario.

I’m seeing Lane getting 1,400,000 in cash to return next season.

Not sure how all the signing bonus and restructure bonus money falls in a retirement scenario. I’m guessing it was guaranteed money. So it is all out the door already.

Definitely a huge chunk of cap invested in the future towards Lane. 

I mean from what I’m seeing about his contract…even with so much future cap money tied into him(45 mil dead next offseason). We are going to need to through even more at him to return. Those that love Rosie contract management it’s very clearly in effect with Lane. 

Some crazy huge financial hurdles to deal with for Lane. We owe him tons on the cap going forward. But he isn’t facing any incoming cash to incentivize him to keep going. Kelce didn’t earn nearly the money Lane has been making. So 14 mil towards him is a big deal. What kind of cash will it take to make a dent for Lane to dig deep to carry on? 

I have Lane at making near 100 mil in just job pay in his career already

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well the thinking here is that Rosie offered him more than HC money to stay on as DC. So Rosie really valued him at that job. Now this is assuming he already knew all the information he found out about his ‘distractions.’ Because we really didn’t find out necessarily all Rosie found out about Gannon was guilty of. But it seemed clear to me the whole time that if we couldn’t get Fangio….the dropoff was a large one at the DC coaching position. Seemed fairly obvious Desai was getting the job.

Again....why?

5 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Again....why?

Think I laid out my reasoning and logic fairly thoroughly.

Rosie really went big to try and retain Gannon. I see the Cards under Gannon being a terrible train wreck this season. So the possibilities of him not keeping his job after this season looks fairly likely.

This isn’t about how I feel about Gannon or Desai as much as just reading the tea leaves on how Rosie played things. Clearly Rosie has extremely high esteem for Gannon. Think Siri having Gannon lined up to come with him was a fairly good part of why Siri got our HC job.

Archived