EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

36 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Would he have been beaten out by the likes of Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower, JJAW? We don't know and that's why it's worth a look to bring him in cheap. He has a lot of talent and your argument here doesn't hold a ton of weight IMO. Pittsburgh isn't a big down field passing team anymore and he is a vertical threat so he could have fallen down the depth chart due to that.

That by itself would be a reason not to trade for him.  Add to that his awful catch rate and that he would be a 2021 only under contract while costing future draft capital to a rebuilding team seals it. 

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

That by itself would be a reason not to trade for him.  Add to that his awful catch rate and that he would be a 2021 only under contract while costing future draft capital to a rebuilding team seals it. 

Does catch rate factor in all passes or all catchable passes?

2 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

You guys remember 2018/2019 when we had practice squad WR playing in final weeks of the season??
Competition is great, and I’d be interested in Washington only depending on the cost. A 6th or 7th founder sounds good to me, anything higher & it’s a no go. 

More WR depth/talent/competition the better

But this is JJAW's breakout season. 

Haven't all the Steelers receivers had drop/pass catching concerns recently.  Does make me wonder if there's some kind of systemic issue at work. Could be wrong about that though. 

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

But this is JJAW's breakout season. 

And if it's not this season it'll be next season.

27 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You guys all jinxed Justin Jefferson. Talking about him so much that he may have just broken his collarbone in camp.

All time Eagle 

33 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

You guys all jinxed Justin Jefferson. Talking about him so much that he may have just broken his collarbone in camp.

Apparently it's just an AC joint sprain

4 hours ago, RLC said:

He gets this after one great season? Damn they are just lining up the brink trucks for starting QBs now

36 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Well since every eagles fan was wishing they had him it brought our curse of wrs getting injured to him. 

42 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Doug should be using his year off to network and learn new ideas. This could be a great opportunity for him to put together a prospective coaching staff. 

Perhaps

See the source image

6 minutes ago, metal said:

The Vikings have the Eagles ex-strength and conditioning coach, so Jefferson will be well taken care of there.

8 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Does catch rate factor in all passes or all catchable passes?

Targets.  And before you start blaming Pittsburgh QBs, note that both Fulgham and Reagor were better and their catch rates were still not great and Ward’s catch rate was 14 percentage points better and the Eagles QBs weren’t better than the Steelers.  JuJu’s catch rate was 22 percentage points better than Washington on the same team. Diontae Johnson’s catch rate was eight points better. Claypool was four points better (Fulgham range). 

19 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Haven't all the Steelers receivers had drop/pass catching concerns recently.  Does make me wonder if there's some kind of systemic issue at work. Could be wrong about that though. 

Not JuJu. Johnson and Claypool have mediocre results. (Reagor/Fulgham range)

15 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Not JuJu. Johnson and Claypool have mediocre results. (Reagor/Fulgham range)

Yeah forgot about Juju.  Still even their TEs and RB had issues

29 minutes ago, metal said:

They got lucky, video didn’t look good 

21 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Targets.  And before you start blaming Pittsburgh QBs, note that both Fulgham and Reagor were better and their catch rates were still not great and Ward’s catch rate was 14 percentage points better and the Eagles QBs weren’t better than the Steelers.  JuJu’s catch rate was 22 percentage points better than Washington on the same team. Diontae Johnson’s catch rate was eight points better. Claypool was four points better (Fulgham range). 

Diontae Johnson (who i really like) had a case of the dropsies last year for a couple weeks. There were a ton of memes about it. I also use Robbie Anderson as an example with the Jets. He had a less than stellar catch rate. Was 54%. It jumped all the way to 70% with Carolina last year. I think some of the Steelers catch rate issues besides just drops was big Ben not very good he last 6 weeks of the season. Big Ben had a Qb rating of 82 during that stretch and 11 tds and 6 ints and his completion percentage dropped by 6 percent from the first 11 weeks. 

34 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Ward’s catch rate is better because they throw him 3 yard passes

Back to the RB competition.  If the reports are true that Jordan Howard is healthy and dare I say in the best shape of his life, he needs to be RB2 without questions.  Heck, a healthy, best shape of his life Howard could push Miles Sanders to be RB1.  It's easy to forget how good Howard was his first few years.  It seems to me that Boston Scott is RB2 by default for the time being.  No disrespect to Scott, who can do some OK things, but a healthy Howard, heck a healthy Kerryon Johnson should be ahead of him on the depth chart.

I'm excited to see these guys in live games.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Back to the RB competition.  If the reports are true that Jordan Howard is healthy and dare I say in the best shape of his life, he needs to be RB2 without questions.  Heck, a healthy, best shape of his life Howard could push Miles Sanders to be RB1.  It's easy to forget how good Howard was his first few years.  It seems to me that Boston Scott is RB2 by default for the time being.  No disrespect to Scott, who can do some OK things, but a healthy Howard, heck a healthy Kerryon Johnson should be ahead of him on the depth chart.

I'm excited to see these guys in live games.

I like Jordan Howard, but you might be drinking some I need to find a new cliche here:

See the source image

35 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I like Jordan Howard, but you might be drinking some I need to find a new cliche here:

See the source image

Oh, I'm not drinking it.  Just curious to see how he looks after all of these reports.  I also think it shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade over Boston Scott.

I think pass blocking will be a key separator, a guy like Howard who isn't much of a receiver can be valuable if he can handle blitz pickup, providing the play action option and then buying time on pass plays. For the receiving RBs, it'll be the difference between starting, the bench and the waiver wire.

1 hour ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Ward’s catch rate is better because they throw him 3 yard passes

Ward’s yards to target average last year was 5.3.  Washington’s was 7.  Not a defense of Ward but just a demonstration that depth of catch wasn’t Washington’s issue. I don’t watch enough Steelers games to have a fully developed opinion of Washington as a pro but nothing I have seen convinces me spending draft capital for him at his fourth year salary is worth the gamble. 

Part of the reason for the Steelers' drop rates being a little high is because the whole league knew Pittsburgh wanted to throw short on pretty much every play. Every pass was highly contested.

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Ward’s yards to target average last year was 5.3.  Washington’s was 7.  Not a defense of Ward but just a demonstration that depth of catch wasn’t Washington’s issue. I don’t watch enough Steelers games to have a fully developed opinion of Washington as a pro but nothing I have seen convinces me spending draft capital for him at his fourth year salary is worth the gamble. 

There’s not one person on this board that’s watched the Steelers enough to make an opinion on it.... just kidding he also said claypool was a jag

Archived