EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

Frankly Jefferson is water over the dam. I don't care about him anymore. We need Reagor to step up and be all he can be.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Utebird said:

If Jefferson made that catch in practice would it mean anything???

It'd be the scumbag move of the year if Jefferson dropped by the Eagles facility just to do that

I mean, I would have been ok with Van Jefferson in the 3rd/4th. Not sure why you guys are always talking about him though. 

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I mean, I would have been ok with Van Jefferson in the 3rd/4th. Not sure why you guys are always talking about him though. 

I liked Van a lot as a 4th round prospect until I saw his age; he's turned 25 already a couple of weeks ago.  He might be the highest producing Jefferson this season -- since Matthew Stafford is the reincarnation of everything wonderful .... 

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not if that WR is JJAW or Greg Ward.

On a side note, Boston Scott reminds me a little of Greg Ward.  Meaning, we have seen what their ceilings are.....and I am not sure their ceilings are high enough to warrant playing time over some younger guys.  

Scott has 4.4 speed, great hands and a low center of gravity that allows him to run both inside, where he can hide behind OL and get outside with his speed.  Has almost as many reps as Sanders with the ones in practice so far this season.  He has been in the NFL same amount as Kerryon with less wear and tear and similar weight but faster.  Howard is the one with the longest NFL tenure but he is the big back.  Holyfield is 215 so he is Sanders sized but his speed is measured with a sundial.  Is he one of the younger guys for you?  Gainwell took a year off and still looks very much like a rookie with rust by all reports yet some want him over Scott.  What has he shown to warrant that.  Huntley looked bad the only action he saw last year.  Two kick off returns, poor job.  Not much yardage as a RB. Important to note that while Sanders was banged up and they carried Huntley on the active roster all year, he wasn’t used much.   So what have Huntley, Gainwell and Holyfield done to warrant playing time over Scott?  What in their pedigrees convinces you they have a higher ceiling than Scott?  Just curious because I am struggling at understanding the basis of your conclusions.  

Scott. 80 carries for 374:yards with a 4.7 yard per carry average.  25 catches on 36 targets for a 70% catch rate, albeit down from 92% the prior year, with zero drops for  212 yards.  Considering how bad some of those target throws were, that’s pretty good numbers.

I will admit that Gainwell looked good his one college season (2019) at Memphis. But the presumption he has a higher ceiling than Scott is pretty bold.  Same with Huntley at NMS but he couldn’t make the Lions last year, the same team that cut Kerryon Johnson this year.  Johnson looked decent at Auburn but limited with the Lions last year.  He isn’t fast and is one speed.  Holyfield looked like a beast in college, but couldn’t get called up from the PS last year and is slower than molasses in a Pennsylvania winter.  

What we are seeing from Scott in TC is with the ones.  Gainwell and Huntley mostly with and against the threes.   I am all for competition and needing to earn a job.  Teams, like employers, don’t want to know what you did yesterday as much as what are you doing for us tomorrow.  But your post sounds like that high floor/low ceiling stuff we heard about Justin Jefferson last year.   

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not if that WR is JJAW or Greg Ward.

On a side note, Boston Scott reminds me a little of Greg Ward.  Meaning, we have seen what their ceilings are.....and I am not sure their ceilings are high enough to warrant playing time over some younger guys.  

Agree. I was thinking one of the kids

59 minutes ago, Utebird said:

No? 

45 minutes ago, greend said:

Franklin Jefferson is water over the dam. I don't care about him anymore. We need Reagor to step up and be all he can be.

Who the F is Franklin Jefferson?  :whistle:

1 hour ago, WentzFan11 said:

Reagor had a good day of practice, but this is a little weird. 

What are you talking about this is prime Dave spadaro spin machine season 

2 hours ago, Utebird said:

He looked plenty fast when he one hand mossed slay but instead people want to talk about Siriani pushing him in a drill.

Actually... he didn't look 'fast' on that particular play.  Slay was right there with him.  Reagor turned around, found the ball and did a nice job of bringing it in.  That said, Slay made minimal effort and contact, due to the nature of the practice.  And the last adjective to come to mind on that particular play is 'fast'.  Fast players don't have a DB right on top of them like that, they've already created a lot of separation.  There was virtually none on that play.  

But, one play doesn't immediately erase the observations of not playing to his speed for the past year.  And if a coach needs to say 'at least run fast', that would imply that they aren't happy with other things as well as the slower speed than his best.  You would have to wonder if he's not putting out his best speed at practice what else he might be holding back as well.   All of these things speak to a mental or heart thing, not a talent issue.  But, when a player is a 'high ceiling/low floor' player like Reagor was coming out, all those intangibles are what determine whether they reach the ceiling or get stuck to the floor.  Right now, Reagor is far closer to the floor than the ceiling.  He has to work to get to the ceiling, its not a given.   In the NFL everyone is talented. 

1pd71.jpg

20 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

the dolphins just need a QB to be a legitimate contender 

Not sure how you came to this conclusion.  Their roster is pedestrian at best.

3 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Id swap Fulgham. Both have shown promise at times but done little. I think in the end Washington ends up better. I bet he can beat Ward for the slot job.  

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

That's a foolish question.  The answer is: NO, its just practice.   And for the record, Jefferson has far less to prove than Reagor.  Jefferson has already proven he can play in the NFL and at a Pro Bowl level. Has Reagor?   

We are focusing so much on Reagor because he was a disappointment last year and folks are looking for glimmers of hope that he can make a giant leap forward from last year.  There is no such concern regarding Jefferson.

29 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

Yeah their defense was top 6 last year and special teams top 5. They added Will fuller at wr along with waddle. And they had Parker who has been solid to good the last couple years. I didn’t mention gesicki who was actually good last year at tight end. Their oline is was not good but they also added in the draft and had a bunch of young guys last year who should improve and were ok at RB when gaskin was healthy. Also they have a very good young coach.

They won 10 games last year with Tua as a rookie not playing well and Ryan Fitzpatrick as a starting quarterback who was up and down at times. So you’re telling me if you put the Watson in place of those two quarterbacks they’re not coming away with more than 10 wins when they lost 4 games by less than a touchdown because of bad quarterback in those games? They could’ve potentially been a 12-4 type team with watson there last year. That would be third best record in the conference. 

7 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

The Dolphins' defense is quite good and has talent; their offense is iffy beyond just QB.  I'm going to put my version of the truth somewhere between the two of you:

See the source image

2 minutes ago, DuckWalk said:

Don't often do this but in the spirit of all the folks "jockeying" for position not realizing that the two guys who will probably have the greatest effect on the next decade are already in place, ( or maybe not ) 

What's the word on the street with Brian Johnson? Does he seem happy in his role? That's going to a have a whole lot to do with how this all goes. 

Uh Watson aint goin there either. 

Hey Sherlock i never said he was going there. if you follow along with what was said all I said was if they had a legitimate quarterback they would be a legitimate contender. I never said he’s going. It’s understandable why watson would want to play there. I said if you put him on that team instead of the two quarterbacks they have last year they finish with more than 10 wins which they did with Fitzpatrick and tua 

3 minutes ago, DuckWalk said:

Yep and " I " said I'll take Tua and Jalen. 

Who ya got? 

For gawd's sake, Tom Brady can't smack you all around "forever" 

First you never said that til now. Second and most important 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, DuckWalk said:

BS.   Everybody's who's anybody knows eggsactly what I've said. 

Most of us have you on block so we don’t or just skip over your daily crap you post. 

Wonder how much

#Bills and QB Josh Allen have reached agreement on a massive 6-year extension, per @mortreport. Huge money for the franchise QB

Allen is worth every penny IMO ,he  has come a long way , and has the best arm in the league ,

22 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Id swap Fulgham. Both have shown promise at times but done little. I think in the end Washington ends up better. I bet he can beat Ward for the slot job.  

Thought Washington played outside? I would love to bring him in for the right price. He's pretty good, is just underutilized. Smith/Washington/Watkins/Fulgham on outside, Reagor/Ward in slot.

20 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Actually... he didn't look 'fast' on that particular play.  Slay was right there with him.  Reagor turned around, found the ball and did a nice job of bringing it in.  That said, Slay made minimal effort and contact, due to the nature of the practice.  And the last adjective to come to mind on that particular play is 'fast'.  Fast players don't have a DB right on top of them like that, they've already created a lot of separation.  There was virtually none on that play.  

But, one play doesn't immediately erase the observations of not playing to his speed for the past year.  And if a coach needs to say 'at least run fast', that would imply that they aren't happy with other things as well as the slower speed than his best.  You would have to wonder if he's not putting out his best speed at practice what else he might be holding back as well.   All of these things speak to a mental or heart thing, not a talent issue.  But, when a player is a 'high ceiling/low floor' player like Reagor was coming out, all those intangibles are what determine whether they reach the ceiling or get stuck to the floor.  Right now, Reagor is far closer to the floor than the ceiling.  He has to work to get to the ceiling, its not a given.   In the NFL everyone is talented. 

1pd71.jpg

Speed isn't always going to get you separation.  What I liked about the catch is that he high pointed the ball and made a nice one handed catch.  The fact that Slay is on him may have to do with the route rather than whether he was playing at full speed. It's hard to know much about that play other than the catch. 

I really take the run fast comment to be about getting him to use his best attribute.  Does it mean they're not happy? I don't know.  They won't be if he's playing slow.  If they are getting him to focus on always running fast because they think that translates into better routes in the games. In other words, don't worry about making an exact cut at 10 yards worry about making a cut and running as fast as you can.  

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

Wow. Not sure what Buffalo is thinking on this one. Allen was phenomenal last year, but was pretty bad the other 2 years. And he's still under contract for the next two years. 

Archived