EMB Blog: 2021 Training Camp / Preseason

Connecticut Eagle

New players, new coaches, new scheme...Hurts...preseason games, joint practices...position battles, roster cuts...

Plenty to debate without the need to get political or partisan.

Thank you in advance for a robust, informed, and collaborative discussion.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm most excited about who wins the competition for LT

The best thing about LT is the winner SHOULD be a very good player.  If it's Mailata, then he's making strides and he can continue to learn technique on top of his freak size/strength.

If Dillard wins, he's clearly getting stronger and can be the technician coming in to his own.  

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens to the loser of the battle.  I truly think Driscoll is the perfect swing lineman who can be a backup all over the line.  Does the loser of the battle get traded?  You're going to have a talented player on the bench either way.

23 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The best thing about LT is the winner SHOULD be a very good player.  If it's Mailata, then he's making strides and he can continue to learn technique on top of his freak size/strength.

If Dillard wins, he's clearly getting stronger and can be the technician coming in to his own.  

What's going to be interesting is to see what happens to the loser of the battle.  I truly think Driscoll is the perfect swing lineman who can be a backup all over the line.  Does the loser of the battle get traded?  You're going to have a talented player on the bench either way.

LOL did you forget how injury prone this team is?? No one is getting traded

Just now, Mike030270 said:

LOL did you forget how injury prone this team is?? No one is getting traded

No, I realize it but I'm also being cautiously optimistic about the O-Line and health in general. 

Here for page 1

The new season can;t get here fast enough. 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

No, I realize it but I'm also being cautiously optimistic about the O-Line and health in general. 

It’s crazy how injury prone the team was with the Pederson era. Hopefully whatever was causing that goes out the door with him.

1 minute ago, MillerTime said:

It’s crazy how injury prone the team was with the Pederson era. Hopefully whatever was causing that goes out the door with him.

Its not crazy, its all about preparing your body which Doug was not well and giving his team the best chance at. 

I was a player, and I can say the best way to prepare yourself for a full season is to practice hard. Prepare in practice like your playing a game. Doug ran very cupcake, soft practices. Players bodies were not prepared for contact. Same goes for running routes, playing coverage etc. If you are not practacing atleast 75% + speed your not ready to 100% in a real game. Hits, tackling etc.

Just like preseason games. I can;t stand teams that sit all their players during the preseason to avoid an injury. I was never a Reid fan but he did it right and still does it right. Wk1- 1Q, Wk2- 2Q, Wk3- 3Q. Reid still does that today. Seams the teams that play as many starters as possible in preseason make the playoffs. 

Im just Hoping Nick keeps working the players hard and getting them ready for contact. This alone can make a big difference in the injury front. 

2 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Its not crazy, its all about preparing your body which Doug was not well and giving his team the best chance at. 

I was a player, and I can say the best way to prepare yourself for a full season is to practice hard. Prepare in practice like your playing a game. Doug ran very cupcake, soft practices. Players bodies were not prepared for contact. Same goes for running routes, playing coverage etc. If you are not practacing atleast 75% + speed your not ready to 100% in a real game. Hits, tackling etc.

Just like preseason games. I can;t stand teams that sit all their players during the preseason to avoid an injury. I was never a Reid fan but he did it right and still does it right. Wk1- 1Q, Wk2- 2Q, Wk3- 3Q. Reid still does that today. Seams the teams that play as many starters as possible in preseason make the playoffs. 

Im just Hoping Nick keeps working the players hard and getting them ready for contact. This alone can make a big difference in the injury front. 

Don’t hold your breath. He already said he’s only going to have a day or two of live hitting 

10 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Good post, agree completely.

I am getting excited about the CB competition and S competition if McLeod is healthy.  I really thought the SS competition would likely be Wallace v Riley.  Riley strikes me as a real potential sleeper.  

8 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Don’t hold your breath. He already said he’s only going to have a day or two of live hitting 

Yea, as quick as the Eagles caved to the players not wanting to do full OTA this year, I don't see Nick doing much of anything that the players don't want to do.  Hitting will be a minimum.  I want the athletic training staff to have these guys build their bodies the best way possible and when an injury occurs, diagnose it correct and rehab for said injury. 

What I hope this staff does differently is the way they discuss injuries.  No more of making us think someone is going to be out for 2 weeks and then next thing we know he's out for 3/4 of the season while eating a roster spot.

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

I am getting excited about the CB competition and S competition if McLeod is healthy.  I really thought the SS competition would likely be Wallace v Riley.  Riley strikes me as a real potential sleeper.  

What competition gets you excited at CB?  Not being a smart-a$$.  We know what Maddox is and more importantly what he isn't.  McPherson is the big unknown.  The best thing to come from the CB competition is that a few of the JAGs prove to be capable NFL players who can complete the D-Backfield. 

I want to see if Wallace has done anything to take the next step and if Epps can contribute more but honestly, there isn't one defensive back I'm excited about or I think is any sort of long term answer.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m excited for the QB competition.  

I am pretty sure Watson can beat out Flacco and Mullens.

I announce and proclaim that I am the new el presidente of this thread

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Here is my pick

A7757E35-7A64-4DD1-AEE6-89F32E2BE9B0.jpeg

To celebrate football season being almost here, let's watch a video to remind ourselves that future WR GOAT candidate DeVonta Smith is an Eagle.

27 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What competition gets you excited at CB?  Not being a smart-a$$.  We know what Maddox is and more importantly what he isn't.  McPherson is the big unknown.  The best thing to come from the CB competition is that a few of the JAGs prove to be capable NFL players who can complete the D-Backfield. 

I want to see if Wallace has done anything to take the next step and if Epps can contribute more but honestly, there isn't one defensive back I'm excited about or I think is any sort of long term answer.

At CB, I am curious to see McPhearson (so much so that people spell both his first and last name right).  I am anxious to see Maddox with competition at slot from Scott. Or will Maddox battle McPhearson for CB2.  Lots of competition for back up roles where ST play will be so important. James v Jacquet, plus Seymour, Hill, Taylor, Hill and Meador.  Can James stay healthy?  They aren’t just playing for a spot on the 53, they are also playing for a PS spot or two and against cut downs after PS.  

At S, can someone taken the next step and win the SS position between Wallace, Andrews, Arnold and Riley?   Is McLeod healthy enough to play and did he lose a step?  Will Harris be functional at FS or is he done?  Does Epps continue to improve?

What will be the opening primary defenses? How will Gannon disguise them?  How will the secondary grow and develop this year?

42 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Would be interesting how they handle it if recovery and rest revitalizes Flacco.   

I'm also extremely curious what Gannon is going to do

Only Slay and still no LBs?

As long as he doesn't use sticks defense then I'll be happy

I think they kept Moorehead just because it's been a revolving door there

Archived