EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

15 minutes ago, justrelax said:

I hope you're right. All I'm saying is that if they're out of it then I see nothing wrong with protecting the pick.

And you would get no furthers deals with anyone if you pull a scumbag move like that on a healthy player just to "preserve the pick"

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I didn't move the goal posts... I planted them where Howie took over as GM again.   You want to put everything on Douglas... it's not.  Howie is his boss.  Howie is the one making the final decision.  Howie is the one that supposedly, sided with the coaches, rather than the scouts on certain players.  He's the one that gets to make those decisions, it's his decision, not Douglas'.  And if he can't handle the pressure or doesn't want the accountability of being the one who ultimately makes the final choice, then get out of that chair and give it to someone who can and does.  Howie was the one that went against the scouts and went Reagor over Jefferson, by all accounts.  If Howie is depending on his personnel guys, then he shouldn't overrule them.  Howie was also the one that went against the scouts and went Hurts over Chinn, against their recommendation... apparently Hurts was rated at a 3rd round level by his personnel people.  So, apparently, Howie only leans on them when it comes time to point the finger, not when it comes time to make a decision.   Just completely disingenuous for you to try to paint Howie as if he doesn't love having the final say.  

As for Hurts, he isn't an NFL starting QB.  You can play the game of misdirection all day.  Hurts' performance speaks to what he is... an athletic, hard working guy, who can't throw at the NFL level, can't see the entire field, or anything close to it, and runs WAY too much.   Hurts isn't a rookie, so stop acting like he is.  And if you want to know why Hurts doesn't get a mulligan, it's because the team decided they could punt on preseason games because he didn't need the reps.  So, either his lack of experience is a problem, in which case he should be on the field more, or his lack of experience isn't a problem, and he should be held to a higher standard than a rookie.  

And if you want to throw around bad QBs (Darnold, Jones, etc.) to defend Hurts, that sort of proves the point, doesn't it?  Hurts isn't a starting caliber QB, same as those guys.  No one is making excuses for Darnold or Jones, are they?  Darnold is going to be a journey man type QB in the league.  It will feed him, pay his bills and make sure he always has a roof over his head.  Hurts will be just fine too.  But, that doesn't mean that the team needs to, or should hitch their wagon to him long term as the starter.  That would be worse than the decision to draft him in the first place.   And now you bring in the trump card... 4th system in 4 years.  Tell me again why he had to transfer from Alabama?  Oh yeah, because he wasn't good enough to be a starter there... he was the backup, primarily because his PASSING ability was extremely limited at the collegiate level, and now we are to believe that he'll be better as a passer in the NFL with more time?  Stop it.  It's getting embarrassing.

As for Dillard... I didn't say he was a bad pick, or that he couldn't play.  I said he's been depth here.  The Eagles are at fault for him not getting the chance to start over Peters sooner.  Peters was not a top OT at that point.  He was a shell of his former self, but this organization was slow to recognize that (organizational failure again).  And then he got hurt.  It happens.  Then he got beat out by Mailata.  But, once again, can we not use hyperbole?  Mailata has a great deal of potential to be a top OT.  But he's not that guy yet.  Of course, if he is, that helps your case for Howie.  But... hurts it at the same time, because apparently the drafts from 2016-2019 were all on Douglas, so if Mailata works out, then Douglas, not Howie, gets the credit.

So, if you want to know what the theme of all this is:  bad organizational moves are compounding and all of this falls at the feet at the top of the organization.   And unless we want to declare Lurie as the most meddlesome owner in the NFL, the person at the top is Howie Roseman, and he's to blame for the organizational failure of this team and their rapid fall from grace... from Super Bowl Champs to last place chumps in the span of 3 years... and it looks like the Eagles will be fighting to be the chumps of the NFC Least again this year against two other organizations that are organizational failures with the Washingteam and the Gnats.

Stop Stop Hes Already Dead GIF - Simpsons Shocked Upset - Discover & Share  GIFs

40 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

They're not getting coronary disease from being low income either.

No they aren’t but I suspect it is a factor. I suspect that statistic may be impacted a bit by location of lower wage people. While we tend to think of poverty as being centralized in inner cities, that is not the actual situation.  Rate wise, poverty rates are higher rurally than in metro centers.  Yet in numbers, cities exceed rural populations.  Interestingly, a Brookings study showed a higher number in the suburbs, probably largely attributable to elderly on fixed incomes in existing homes. (Older people with coronary disease, who would have guessed?)  Now, in the inner cities, the availability of fresh foods is limited as grocers don’t tend to locate there.  Such is even more prevalent rurally. Fresh food is less available to them as well as Dollar General replaces grocers.  Ever seen the food section in a Dollar General?   That’s not gentrification.  That is the reality of choice in poorer areas.  But, with all respect to the AMA, you won’t find doctors in those locations either. 

29 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Even though the Colts lose the tiebreaker to the Titans, they will be in competition for that division because of the loss of Derrick Henry. Derrick Henry is the cog that makes that offense go. I still think the titans win the division but would it surprise anyone of us if there’s a dramatic drop off on offense with Henry out? I like tannehill but I’m curious to see how well he functions when teams don’t have to focus on Henry. he has to be the one who steps up in his absence. Gonna see what tannehill is really made of over the next 9 games 

That's a stretch.  Titans still have Texans (2x), Jets and Dolphins.  If they win only 3 out of the 4 games and lose the rest, that's 9-8.  Colts would have to go at least 6-2-1 to overtake them.  They still have Bills, Bucs, Patriots, Raiders and Cardinals to play, more likely they'd have to go 7-2.   At 3-5, the Colts are in a bad way for the division.... unlikely they can get to 10-7 or even 9-7-1.

30 minutes ago, austinfan said:

One reason you're not going to see a lot to the left out of the pocket is the lack of a traditional, big possession "X" WR.

LOL.

It wasn't as obvious before, but you are without a doubt a troll.

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

And it wasn't done to tank, Pederson had promised Sudfeld some PT to showcase his talent (or lack of such) before he entered free agency.

I do think the plan was to play Sudfield in order to potentially get him a new contract.  It's not like sitting Hurts impacted the teams' chances for winning.  Hurts had a bad first half.  I do 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Didn’t the Eagles do that with his back injury. It was on there after that Giants game and then it really didn’t appear throughout the course of the year and then all the sudden he had a back fracture

I think the disclosure has to do with when the injury is changing practice reps.  My recollection is that the fracture wasn't initially the diagnosis.  It was only the diagnosis after he was still complaining of symptoms. 

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

It's been pretty well documented Weidl travelled to Oklahoma to watch Hurts and became infatuated with him as a prospect.  Not only did Doug smile in the draft room, Doug is on record from both Brett Favre and Troy Aikman saying after last season his plan was to roll with Hurts over Wentz.

Howie is ultimately responsible for making the pick, especially after Wentz had reservations about it when Howie told him -- but Weidl and Doug were the ones pushing for the pick to be made.

Incorrect

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a stretch.  Titans still have Texans (2x), Jets and Dolphins.  If they win only 3 out of the 4 games and lose the rest, that's 9-8.  Colts would have to go at least 6-2-1 to overtake them.  They still have Bills, Bucs, Patriots, Raiders and Cardinals to play, more likely they'd have to go 7-2.   At 3-5, the Colts are in a bad way for the division.... unlikely they can get to 10-7 or even 9-7-1.

Their final record doesn't matter.  It's their record after week 12 that does.

They should beat the Jets and Jags.  Lose to the Bucs and Bills.   (pleasant alliteration)

That's 5-7 with the Texans next.  He'll play week 13.   Then who cares.

12 minutes ago, greend said:

J.R. they aren't going to be out of the playoff picture until after it's too late. That said it would also sour teams making future deals with them if they played those kind of shenanigans.

Not to mention all of the players with incentives or guys fighting for roster spots. I doubt they’re even thinking about the scenario. Exactly why Wentz is out there on kneel downs when he doesn’t really need to be. 

4 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

Incorrect

Okay, Wentz convinced Howie to draft Hurts then, and Doug resigned in disgust

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

No they aren’t but I suspect it is a factor. I suspect that statistic may be impacted a bit by location of lower wage people. While we tend to think of poverty as being centralized in inner cities, that is not the actual situation.  Rate wise, poverty rates are higher rurally than in metro centers.  Yet in numbers, cities exceed rural populations.  Interestingly, a Brookings study showed a higher number in the suburbs, probably largely attributable to elderly on fixed incomes in existing homes. (Older people with coronary disease, who would have guessed?)  Now, in the inner cities, the availability of fresh foods is limited as grocers don’t tend to locate there.  Such is even more prevalent rurally. Fresh food is less available to them as well as Dollar General replaces grocers.  Ever seen the food section in a Dollar General?   That’s not gentrification.  That is the reality of choice in poorer areas.  But, with all respect to the AMA, you won’t find doctors in those locations either. 

I agree with you on that count.  Rural poor also don't have access to food banks, public transportation and especially medical providers that are available to more urban residents.  

19 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

It's been pretty well documented Weidl travelled to Oklahoma to watch Hurts and became infatuated with him as a prospect.  Not only did Doug smile in the draft room, Doug is on record from both Brett Favre and Troy Aikman saying after last season his plan was to roll with Hurts over Wentz.

Howie is ultimately responsible for making the pick, especially after Wentz had reservations about it when Howie told him -- but Weidl and Doug were the ones pushing for the pick to be made.

Chinn was Howie's pick but Doug overrode his decision.  

Guest justrelax
12 minutes ago, greend said:

And you would get no furthers deals with anyone if you pull a scumbag move like that on a healthy player just to "preserve the pick"

The Colts went from 10-6 in 2010 to 2-14 in 2011. Their motto: Suck for Luck.

The 76ers tanked for years. 

Didn't hurt their ability to trade.

Of course they would dress it up as giving Wentz a chance to get healthy.

Put another way, if they trade for Wentz, miss the playoffs, AND lose their #1 pick, that's a triple whammy.

GMs screw each other all the time. It's part of the job description.

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Unlikely yes. However even with Derek henry I didn’t trust the Titans. I’m curious to see if the wheels fall off cause Henry was getting 30 touches a game. They are the most Jekyll and Hyde team in the league. Titans already played the Jets. The Jets beat them. And that was with the best player out there.I’m guessing you meant the jags  

I don’t think it’s a stretch the titans begin to struggle on offense and their defense we know sucks besides the two Texans games. I get they have miami, jags and 2 games against the Texans left. But would you really be surprised if the Titans lost to one of those teams? I wouldn’t be, they lost to the Jets with Henry out there. Granted the jets also beat the bengals. I’m really curious to see how that offense looks taking away Derrick Henry. 

6 minutes ago, Swoop said:

LOL.

It wasn't as obvious before, but you are without a doubt a troll.

Are you telling me that Afan has been a Cowboys' fan all along? 

15 minutes ago, greend said:

J.R. they aren't going to be out of the playoff picture until after it's too late. That said it would also sour teams making future deals with them if they played those kind of shenanigans.

Except this year benching Hurts will devalue the pick.

6 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Howie actually filled out the card with Chinns name on it, but Doug volunteered to turn it in and crossed off his name and put Hurts. 

Oh wait, it was the COVID draft. Howie typed out Chinn but didn't click submit, so when he went around the room for socially distanced fist bumps Doug backspaced on the selection and typed Hurts. 

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

The Colts went from 10-6 in 2010 to 2-14 in 2011. Their motto: Suck for luck.

Put another way, if they trade for Wentz, miss the playoffs, AND lose their #1 pick, that's a triple whammy.

We aren't talking about tanking here, we're talking about purposely benching a healthy starter and screwing over a team you made a deal with. So it absolutely would affect future deals.

8 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I do think the plan was to play Sudfield in order to potentially get him a new contract.  It's not like sitting Hurts impacted the teams' chances for winning.  Hurts had a bad first half.  I do 

I think the disclosure has to do with when the injury is changing practice reps.  My recollection is that the fracture wasn't initially the diagnosis.  It was only the diagnosis after he was still complaining of symptoms. 

one of the reasons when they put him on IR after they lost to the Cowboys was that they misdiagnosed the fracture and didn’t see it on the x-rays when they took it for the past couple weeks. Which felt kind of like a lot of BS for them just shutting him down because Their chances to make the playoffs dropped dramatically after that loss. 

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

Weidl is VP of Player Personnel.  He has some pull in the war room.  No idea who Howie's choice was -- could have been Hurts, and it was a consensus pick.  In the end it doesn't matter once the choice is made. 

Howie holds primary accountability for all picks, Weidl second. 

5 minutes ago, justrelax said:

The Colts went from 10-6 in 2010 to 2-14 in 2011. Their motto: Suck for Luck.

I don’t think you are understanding. 

The Colts benching Wentz would dissuade teams in the future from similar type of deals. It has nothing to do with tanking, it has to do with purposefully benching a player to avoid meeting the critia of a trade. 

53 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

This is a win this year move.  They've put all their eggs in on this basket.  If they win, they might find a way to scrape another run together.  But this isn't a 3 year window by any stretch.  This is win now, and maybe they can extend it to win for 2022 as well.  But this is 100% about this season with no real eye towards the future.

Agree.  This is more a very short term move than a 5-6 year sustainable window of opportunity.  Mortgaging their future to go all-in now.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

How does this perpetuate the belief that there are conspiracies festering throughout the front office?

Horrible tweet.

Afan: "Jalen Hurts is a top 27 quarterback who can compile garbage stats, beat the only teams that are in a worse state than the Eagles and can run for days. If you got him a young Alshon on the left, he'd instantly stop leaving the pocket, be able to read the field and go on to be a terror in the NFC East. AMAZING value at 53." 

Also afan: "Ben Roethlisberger was never a franchise QB because he's fallen off the past two seasons as his career comes to a close." 

🤡🤡🤡

7 minutes ago, justrelax said:

The Colts went from 10-6 in 2010 to 2-14 in 2011. Their motto: Suck for luck.

Making a decision about a single player 3/4 of the way into the season should not be compared to a franchise-wide approach that began before the season started.

Archived