EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

Is it possible to change your username on here? I created this dumb one like 15 years ago when I watched a ton of hockey.

Also side note, my gamertag on Xbox is Wentzlvania. I have to stare at that every time I play.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, Sack that QB said:

I wouldn't even say 2018 is good. It's the best of the bunch, but it isn't good. They have a TE who shows flashes, but hasn't emerged as anything special yet. A nickel corner, a rotational pass rusher. Their best pick was Mailata. That should be baseline for most drafts. To get a couple starters and a couple rotational guys.

It looks good in comparison to some others where the Eagles essentially got nothing.

I’ll give him 2018. It’s a solid to good class. That said 2017 is a complete dumpster fire. Barnett is gone at the end of the year and they’ll have nothing from it. 2019 is also a mess. Unless someone goes down along the oline dillard is stuck as a backup cause he’s not as good as mailata (7th round pick who developed) and howie kept restructuring and kicking the can down the road so brooks is here. Sanders is seemingly always getting hurt or leaving games. He always has had this issue since his rookie year. He misses games and leaves them early. Solid when he plays and we get him the ball but he’s is unreliable and I’d argue regressed from rookie year til now. And JJAW is a Fing joke. 

i haven’t even talked about 2020 class. Reagor is averaging 29.5 yards per game in his 20 game career. That’s not good there’s been no improvement this year from last year. He’s the same player. they drafted hurts to be a backup and tried to replace him all offseason and even into the season. Heck we were all talking about benching him if they eagles looked awful against the lions and really they just ran the ball down the lions throats and he didn’t need to pass. Davion Taylor is a project they selected and he also has had some injury concerns and is still a project that has shown flashes. I liked wallace but he has missed games due to injury or inactive cause he’s been eh. Driscoll, Watkins and Bradley might be their three best picks to date. Driscoll is a backup with potential to eventually be a starter but he’s missed games with injuries. Watkins is a good no. 3 wr. And Bradley is a ST player. That’s not exactly crushing the draft. 

2021 is way too early. Dickerson looks to be getting better however he’s injury prone in college. So if he gets hurt again that’s exact reason why people were hesitant to draft him. Too early to tell what Williams is as he’s a rotational player right now. If he stays that again pick inside the top 75 the eagles have found backups not starters in multiple drafts. That’s not good. Besides gainwell the rest of the late round picks are backups which is fine but they haven’t shown to be quality backups proven backups. Making the argument this draft class is good when they’ve played 8 games is ridiculous. Ask me next year around this time for a more definitive answer.  

39 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Gainwell was mostly in during garbage time with Minshew. He was ignored while it was an actual game. 

Because they weren’t running the plays that are his strength.  That said, when asked to run inside Behind Dickerson, Gainwell got some yards. 

5 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Of course it could change, but the players seem to like Sirianni, despite the goofy PCs

Players don't like fake people. Sirianni, for better or worse, is himself. 

4 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Is it possible to change your username on here? I created this dumb one like 15 years ago when I watched a ton of hockey.

Also side note, my gamertag on Xbox is Wentzlvania. I have to stare at that every time I play.

I don’t know about here but you can change your gamer tag on Xbox. I think it cost 10 or 15$ though.

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Not bad 2021 draft:

Smith (#10) plus top ten 1st rd pick in 2022

Dickerson (#37) getting comfortable at LG

Williams (#73), LDE, rotational DT

Gainwell, #150, Jackson #191, Johnson #234 getting rotational snaps, MacPearson (123) on STs

In fact, the last four years have been pretty solid, a couple misfires but not nearly as bad as advertised:

2018:  Goedert (49), Maddox (125), Sweat (130), Pryor (206), Mailata (233)

2019:  Dillard (22), Sanders (53), JJAW (57)

2020:  Reagor (21), Hurts (53), Taylor (103), Wallace (127), Driscoll (145), Bradley (196), Watkins (200)

:facepalm: 

Do we have to go through this constantly?  Smith has shown flashes, but has yet to prove himself worthy of a top 10 selection.  Dickerson still hasn't proven he can stay healthy, which was the big knock on him.  Williams made one play.  Gainwell was forgotten about yesterday until garbage time.  

2020 - that's a bad list.   Reagor has been and continues to be a bust.  He had a couple carries that were nice, but still isn't a WR.  Hurts wasn't terrible yesterday, but he was mostly a running back, not a QB.  Taylor looked better than a complete waste out there.  Was Wallace on the field?  What has he done?  Bradley still not a contributor.  Driscoll is suffering from Eagles' OL syndrome, and can't stay healthy.

2019 - You still listed JJAW... he's a bust who is only used as a blocker.  That type of player isn't worthy of a second round selection.  That's Jack Stoll level production!  In fact, Stoll actually caught a pass yesterday, which puts him ahead of JJAW in receptions this year.   He had 4 receptions in 2020, and 0 this year.  How is he not looking bad?

2018 - That's the one that you might be able to point to... not a bad draft.  But, not exactly world beater stuff.   

Convenient that you left 2016 and 2017 off this.  Why is that?  2016 - Seumalo alone remains.  2017 - Barnett alone remains.    That's really bad.   Really, really bad.  For a team that supposed thinks that you build through the draft, the fact that 2016 and 2017 combined for 2 players... and a year from now, probably only Seumalo.  Gross incompetence is the term I'd use to describe it.

7 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Not as bad as mine. 

28 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Both sides are factual statements.   Perhaps if you dealt with people who were working in low wage position and saw how often their complaints are dismissed by medical providers you would think differently.  

Dealt with plenty of low wage earners.  Many of them are rural and AFan is exactly right about doctors limiting nurse practitioners but not wanting to live in rural settings.  He is also right about the refusal of Medicaid, Medicare and SCHIPP patients.  But low income also tends to mean uninsured and thus low use of preventive care.  It also means the tendency towards poor dietary choices that leads to coronary disease.  Couple that with this insane idea that the US government should not negotiate for better drug prices, none of which is mentioned in the proposed language.  That’s nuts.  

I get the appeal of tanking but we also  have several bad-to-very bad teams coming up in the back half of the schedule.  A top 5 pick just isn't realistic.  Might as well take a nice long look at Hurts, Sirianni, and Gannon this year and let them work out kinks. Particularly the coaches. 

Fully on board to trade away some vets though. 

21 minutes ago, downundermike said:
14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup the first round pick in dillard who’s a backup. Sanders who’s perpetually hurt and likely not getting a second contract and JJAW. What a Fing class that was. Are seriously trying to tell me that it’s good you drafted a 1st rounder who’s a backup? A running back who in three consecutive seasons has missed time due to injuries and has actually regressed since his rookie season. And JJAW who sucks and can only play special teams to make a contribution. Seriously? You had 3 picks on the first two rounds and currently one is a backup, one is an injury prone RB and one is a scrub ST player 

let’s look at 2020 as well. Reagor has been underwhelming and not that good. I know that 1 reception for 0 yards and 21 rushing yards was fantastic yesterday. Or maybe it’s his 20 receptions for 165 yards this season. Or maybe career total of 51 receptions for 561 yards in 19 career games. So averaging 29.5 yards per game for being a top 25 pick is amazing. Wait jalen hurts who was drafted to be a backup QB and the eagles have tried to replace continuously since they dealt wentz with Wilson and watson (and don’t give me your BS agenda they were doing due dillegence they sent Fing people to houston to investigate and talked to watson and his camp about him wanting to be here). I am speed davion Taylor has been great at getting lost in space and destroyed in the run game. And is better suited as a backup. Wallace who can’t stay healthy and is a backup and not even as good as Epps. Driscoll and Watkins are solid late round picks. Bradley is a jag. When your 4th and 6th round picks are the best out of that draft and one is a fringe starter and the other is a nice 3rd wr that’s not good drafting regardless of what you think  

2018 was a good class. 2019 and and 2020 and 2017 were not good. Only an delusional person would defend them as being good.   

on top of all this you don’t want go get a Quarterback because you’re telling me they’re not ready. BUTTTTTTT then you’re telling me they drafted well over the last four years. So if that is true then they should go get the quarterback or you’re full of it

Pryor is starting and playing well. Dillard would be a starter on a number of teams, and I expect him to be traded at some point. He got beat out by Mailata.

RBs getting hurt? Gee, that's a surprise. When healthy Sanders is a top RB, though his pass catching issues are a mystery (not a problem as a rookie).

Hurts is 3-5 on a team supposedly devoid of talent. As I've shown, most 1st rd QBs are similar quality, and few "quality backups" are taken after the 2nd rd. Most quality backups are 1st rd flops or starters who aged out. Hurts was good value where he was taken, his running provides real value, and his build and ability to avoid contact makes him viable as a running QB.

Taylor was a project when drafted, he's now starting, he'll have growing pains but "speed kills."

Anyone picked after #150 who contributes, even just on STs, is a good pick, odds get real low of just sticking on a roster at that point in the draft.

Basically, you're talking JJAW and Reagor, and we don't know who was behind Reagor over Jefferson.

People have exaggerated expectations of drafts, a good draft produces 2 solid starters and 1-2 solid backups.

It takes time to build through the draft, took TB 7 years and they still had to add Brady, it's going to take 2 more drafts here to build critical mass.

You take a QB when the right one knocks, you don't waste a high first rd pick(s) reaching for someone because fans want a "franchise QB."

It will be interesting to see what Saints do at QB. Sitting at 5-2 and coming off a huge win, I don't see how they can just roll with Siemian. I wonder if they would pull the trigger on Jimmy G, Foles, Bridgewater, Minshew etc.  

4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Wonder if they would like to trade for Sanders

Sanders is on the IR. Not sure if he can be traded 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ll give him 2018. It’s a solid to good class. That said 2017 is a complete dumpster fire. Barnett is gone at the end of the year and they’ll have nothing from it. 2019 is also a mess. Unless someone goes down along the oline dillard is stuck as a backup cause he’s not as good as mailata (7th round pick who developed) and howie kept restructuring and kicking the can down the road so lane is here. Sanders is always hurt. He always has had this issue since his rookie year. He misses games and leaves them early. Solid when he plays and we get him the ball but he’s is unreliable and I’d argue regressed from rookie year til now. And JJAW so a Fing joke. 

i haven’t even talked about 2020 class. Reagor is averaging 29.5 yards per game in his 20 game career. That’s not good there’s been no improvement this year from last year. He’s the same player. they drafted hurts to be a backup and tried to replace him all offseason and even into the season. Heck we were all talking about benching him if they eagles looked awful against the lions and really they just ran the ball down the lions throats and he didn’t need to pass. Davion Taylor is a project they selected and still looks lost for most of the time. I liked wallace but he has missed games due to injury or inactive cause he’s been eh. Driscoll, Watkins and Bradley might be their three best picks. Driscoll is a backup with potential to eventually be a starter but he’s missed games with injuries. Watkins is a good no. 3 wr. And Bradley is a ST player. That’s not exactly crushing the draft. 

2021 is way too early. Dickerson looks to be getting better however he’s injury prone in college. So if he gets hurt again that’s exact reason why people were hesitant to draft him. Too early to tell what Williams is as he’s a rotational player right now. If he stays that again pick inside the top 75 the eagles have found backups not starters in multiple drafts. That’s not good. Besides gainwell the rest of the late round picks are backups which is fine but they haven’t shown to be quality backups proven backups. Making the argument this draft class is good when they’ve played 8 games is ridiculous. Ask me next year around this time for a more definitive answer.  

I don't get how anyone could look at where the Eagles are right now and think they've drafted well. How does one think the Eagles have arrived at this point? They've continued a downward trajectory for a reason. They've had no influx of impact players.

The Eagles got here through a series of bad decisions and ineptitude.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Stupid rule. You can trade players on IR if its a major injury but not if its a minor one. 

Get rid of the designations. Give the trading team the medical files and chance to look the player over. If they want to go forward with it, the risk is on them. 

Teams are individually responsible for providing medical care for the injuries.  The responsibility for providing care cannot be assumed by another team.  It's probably more related to that and players not wanting to get traded in treatment.  

15 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

You can change your Xbox tag.  First time it's free.  After that I think it's $10 per change.

11 minutes ago, goeagles5039 said:

I don’t know about here but you can change your gamer tag on Xbox. I think it cost 10 or 15$ though.

^

7 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Not as bad as mine. 

At least you can still be a fan of his even if he plays elsewhere.  Not sure if that's the case.

35 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

And theyre going to be SB contenders for the next 3-5 years

Looked at their cap situation on spotrac.

2021 cap space = $3.1M with $41.3M in dead money

2022 cap space = $7.8M that includes the $3.1M roll over from 2021, but only $242K in dead money

2023 cap space = $88.8M (includes the roll over again), but that's with Stafford and LT Whitworth off the books and RT Havenstein and DT Robinson in void years of their contracts.  They're going to re-sign Stafford at least after trading #1 picks for him, but who else do they re-sign or what FAs do they sign, which they'll have to since they lack high end draft picks the next 2 years.  So they'll eat into their cap space pretty quick.

As a comparison the Eagles in 2021 are showing $19.9M in cap space (that seems high) with $60.1M in dead money.

In 2022 it's showing $27M in cap space that includes the $19.9M roll over from 2021 and $20.2M in dead money.

In 2023 it's showing $114M in cap space (includes the roll over), but that's only based on 35 players listed.

Rams better hope they hit on their FAs and that their late round picks are good backup and depth guys.

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Teams are individually responsible for providing medical care for the injuries.  The responsibility for providing care cannot be assumed by another team.  It's probably more related to that and players not wanting to get traded in treatment.  

Maybe. The way it was explained last year was that they can't be traded with a minor injury designation is because they didn't want teams to understate the injury to other teams. 

3 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Would you trade the Miami pick for Zach Wilson?

I'd trade our first. 

3 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Would you trade the Miami pick for Zach Wilson?

Jets aren't dealing Zach Wilson; you don't draft a player #2 unless you have a long term plan for him (I know, it's the Jets)

It shouldn't be a surprise Wilson has struggled; the Jets are still an awful team.  

1 minute ago, Alphagrand said:

Jets aren't dealing Zach Wilson; you don't draft a player #2 unless you have a long term plan for him (I know, it's the Jets)

It shouldn't be a surprise Wilson has struggled; the Jets are still an awful team.  

Also would be taking a $22M dead cap hit to trade him. 

10 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

I don't get how anyone could look at where the Eagles are right now and think they've drafted well. How does one think the Eagles have arrived at this point? They've continued a downward trajectory for a reason. They've had no influx of impact players.

The Eagles got here through a series of bad decisions and ineptitude.

They've drafted better since Douglas left. Given what Douglas has done on the Jets . . .

I'm also more comfortable with Sirianni and Gannon in the draft room than Pederson and Scwartz, who got more power after the SB win. The only coach from that regime I'd trust with draft opinions is Stoutland. Sirianni and Gannon have a lot more hands on coaching experience, and aren't trying to win now.

I hope the latest Wentz meltdown didn’t cost the Eagles a first round pick. Barring injury, that pick was ours if IND wins the game yesterday. Now they’re a few bad weeks away from a lost season.

Archived