EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

For an often injured guy who will give the ball to the other team in the most critical times of games ? A potential 1st is as good as you can ask don’t you think? 

Yes, but the 1st if he plays 75% or whatever it is knowing he probably won't make it isn't great. It should have been a 2nd and another pick or a 1st from them with one of our picks back.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

To think it is not being discussed is absolutely absurd.  I would be willing to bet the discussion was had before Carson even put on a Colts uniform.  

The problem with that idea is he is at 100% snap count since the Rams game. They’ve had close games, but their games over Houston and Miami were comfortable enough that they could have sat him late to get a bit more control over his percentages. 

30 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

I’m not arguing any of that.

I’m saying he, with all the flaws you mentioned, is still a better option than wentz was.  Which is why he was drafted in the 1st place IMO.  Because the eagles new they would probably move on from wentz sooner rather than later.  Hurts is a stop gap at worst.  But his athleticism was something the eagles brass wanted to take a chance on.  Looking for the next Wilson or Mahommes so to speak.  

But at the same time I’m not writing hurts out of being a #2 on most rosters and having viable employment  in the nfl as a qb

Stop gap at worst?  For our offense, he puts the stop in stopgap.

53 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Well it kills the joy of the offseason to not have a first round pick.  

Read the whole tweet. It was more to the effect of "The Colts need to bench Wentz now to preserve the first round pick. But look at the quarterback room. Who would they play?" He's probably right - the Colts would have to bench Wentz soon to keep him below 75% of snaps. He didn't tweet anything to make it seem likely to happen; if anything he came up with a good reason they can't choose to bench Wentz, the backup is I think a 6th round rookie. If the Colts were considering such a move I doubt they'd have released Hundley.

9 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The problem with that idea is he is at 100% snap count since the Rams game. They’ve had close games, but their games over Houston and Miami were comfortable enough that they could have sat him late to get a bit more control over his percentages. 

Or not rush him back from foot surgery.

Or not let him play on two sprained ankles.

Or......

The evidence is out there. They aren't concerned about protecting the pick. The trade was made in good faith and the snap qualifier is likely just an injury protection. 

37 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

I’m not arguing any of that.

I’m saying he, with all the flaws you mentioned, is still a better option than wentz was.  Which is why he was drafted in the 1st place IMO.  Because the eagles new they would probably move on from wentz sooner rather than later.  Hurts is a stop gap at worst.  But his athleticism was something the eagles brass wanted to take a chance on.  Looking for the next Wilson or Mahommes so to speak.  

But at the same time I’m not writing hurts out of being a #2 on most rosters and having viable employment  in the nfl as a qb

This part I’ll disagree on. They’ve consistently since dealing wentz tried to find a better QB and replace hurts. If watson wanted to come here or they could’ve gotten the jets to trade back with them to get Zach Wilson then hurts wouldn’t be the starter. They’ve shown since dealing wentz they’ve wanted a better QB than hurts. Additionally mosher, caplan and schefter have all said they never expected hurts to be the starter going into 2021 when they drafted him unless Carson was hurt and couldn’t play. 

They drafted Hurts b/c he was good value at that point in the draft, they were committed to Wentz but worried about his durability, and wanted a long-term insurance policy.

The advantage of Hurts as a backup is his legs, since few backup QBs are good enough to win with their arms (or they'd be starting somewhere), the ideal backup is one with an adequate arm, running ability and the intangibles to accept a backup role and work hard to be ready to start if needed. Hurts checks all those boxes.

For some weird reason, Wentz felt threatened, even though any intelligent player would realize that after you miss three playoffs, your FO is going to want an insurance policy. They got lucky with Foles in 2017, not so much in 2018 and were left hanging with McNown in 2019.

If Wentz had started every game his first four seasons in the league, like a Manning, Howie wouldn't have looked twice at Hurts.

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They drafted Hurts b/c he was good value at that point in the draft, they were committed to Wentz but worried about his durability, and wanted a long-term insurance policy.

The advantage of Hurts as a backup is his legs, since few backup QBs are good enough to win with their arms (or they'd be starting somewhere), the ideal backup is one with an adequate arm, running ability and the intangibles to accept a backup role and work hard to be ready to start if needed. Hurts checks all those boxes.

For some weird reason, Wentz felt threatened, even though any intelligent player would realize that after you miss three playoffs, your FO is going to want an insurance policy. They got lucky with Foles in 2017, not so much in 2018 and were left hanging with McNown in 2019.

If Wentz had started every game his first four seasons in the league, like a Manning, Howie wouldn't have looked twice at Hurts.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Gotta love that 2nd round good backup value. 

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Or not rush him back from foot surgery.

Or not let him play on two sprained ankles.

Or......

The evidence is out there. They aren't concerned about protecting the pick. The trade was made in good faith and the snap qualifier is likely just an injury protection. 

Sit him when they had a huge lead and let someone else hand the ball off.

I don't know why the bolded is so complicated for folks to accept on face value.

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Right? such great value they alluded that other teams didn’t have him graded as a second round pick and didn’t want to miss out on him cause of a past mistake of Russell Wilson. Furthermore since trading wentz they’ve tried to replace him and traded for another young cheap backup QB for when they get that "franchise QB”. So there’s a chance Hurts is gone next year or the year after and the eagles don’t get the value back they put into getting him. Add on they had him a bottom 1/3 starter in the league for a year and a backup on a lousy team. Bravo eagles really paving the way of valuing going forward.

It’s an absolute necessity to spend a second round pick on a cheap backup cause they didn’t have money to spend on a veteran backup. But yet somehow with less money this year they got Flacco and then also gave themselves a dead money hit in 2022. Another brilliant value by the eagles 

Some of you attention-****s really need to check your ego. Real quick to put hurts out the door and still try to put Jalen raegor in as a player the eagles should keep because…….. because what? he’s better than JJAW? 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Ok.  What was your screenname?

eaglesflyers#1 but now I'm a whole new man

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

When you can only get a backup QB that costs over $10M, yea. 

3 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

Some of you attention-****s really need to check your ego. Real quick to put hurts out the door and still try to put Jalen raegor in as a player the eagles should keep because…….. because what? he’s better than JJAW? 

Jalen Hurts is about to be the next Holy Vagabond of the NFL as a backup journeyman

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Really surprised by how much Von Miller fetched.  Time for us to start selling off assets.

They got so much because the Broncos took the big hit on the salary cap.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I thought so.  That was quick.  Not sure I’m a fan of the state of Texas with our eagles on it.  But it’ll do I guess.   LOL. I know. You didn’t ask. 

Stole it from a local Eagles bar 😂

23 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wentz puts himself in position to be injured.  And said he won’t change that to boot.  

Who knows how good wentz could have become had he stayed healthy and protected his body better.  Clearly the injuries took a toll on his game mentally and physically. But wentZ gunna wentz

5 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

Who in the blue hell has argued to keep reagor? He averages 30 yards receiving per game over 19 games in his career. At this moment that pick looks like a bust too.

the eagles will refused to accept it until they have no other choice like JJAW when it becomes more reasonable due to salary to actually cut him. They actually save 1.2 mil when they cut JJAW in 2022. If they did it this year they have more dead money hit then cap savings. Reagor’s rookie contract makes it even harder. He gives them no cap savings (to cut him) unless he’s traded next offseason and even then the cap savings is 13.5k compared to 3.6 dead money 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Who in the blue hell has argued to keep reagor? He averages 30 yards receiving per game over 19 games in his career. At this moment that pick looks like a bust too.

the eagles will refused to accept it until they have no other choice like JJAW when it becomes more reasonable due to salary to actually cut him. They actually save 1.2 mil when they cut JJAW in 2022. If they did it this year they have more dead money hit then cap savings. Reagor’s rookie contract makes it even harder. He gives them no cap savings (to cut him) unless he’s traded next offseason and even then the cap savings is 13.5k compared to 3.6 dead money 

Jalen Reagor sucks

11 minutes ago, Texas Eagle said:

Jalen Hurts is about to be the next Holy Vagabond of the NFL as a backup journeyman

IMO…there are a few types of backup qbs:

Failed highly drafted starters on a rehab stint: ex, Sam Darnold, although he’s starting right now.  David Carr with the Giants is an example.

Over the hill former starters who have produced in the league: ex Flacco.

Young mid/later draft picks getting coached up by the team that drafted them.

Spot starters who have played well in stretches but aren’t going to get a real opportunity: Fitzpatrick, Foles, Tyrod Taylor. 

IMO, Hurts doesn’t even slot into one of these categories.  I do think his mobility will make him a disruptive backup qb for in game emergencies. I would not want him as a backup to actually start a few games.  He’s just too miserable as a passer and other backups will be better there.  

Archived