Lane Johnson posts personal message about depression & anxiety, returning to the field soon

time2rock

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's good to recognize and get the help.  I'm a volunteer counselor through my church and have been trained on identifying some things.  My wife and son both have ADHD, my wife has depression and anxiety and my son has anxiety and goes to counseling.  We wanted to get him help early and it's really helping, he's coping better and less problems.  He speaks so maturely, and expresses himself so well even many adults can't express it like that.  We wanted him to start early so it's easier to manage as he gets older.

That's a great idea, I'm sure it will help him tremendously. My parents are old school and don't believe in mental illness, my dad just tells me to go for a car ride.... My mom said she always knew I had issues but, she thought I'd grow out of it.

It wasn't till I got a full time.job and my own insurance that I went to get checked out on my own. I always felt different from everyone else and never knew why or how to deal with it. 

It took a long time till I learned my symptoms and when I'm slipping into depression or going into mania which is more dangerous for me then depression. I will never be cured and there will never be enough help or medications to make it go away and people don't get that.

Nothing more I hate then when someone asks if I took my medication when I'm mad about something that any normal person would be mad about. The other part is when people say they are trying to help me and I won't let them then they get mad at me. Like just leave me the hell alone stop making it about you.

It's stuff like that where you wish you never said anything. 

If you ever need any advice or talk about it, maybe something you aren't quite understanding with your wife or son don't hesitate to PM me. The one thing that helps me was learning to be open about it ( even though it can be frustrating) because then others open up to me and I can help them.  

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is definitely more support for it these days but, it still carries a stigma. I have adhd and Bipolar 1 disorder..... I'm actually a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up on it.That explains not wanting to fly and the abrupt decision to just not play and take off. 

I've made irrational decisions in the moment and had freak out moments like that. I'm very open with it especially with my job but, they say they understand till they don't. Then they tell you that you are just doing it for attention and what not. It's not fun

I imagine that the last thing anyone suffering from any of those conditions would want is to have attention called to them.  I’d guess they’d want to be as low key about it as possible.  I feel for all of them … and for anyone conflicted with any mental health disorders.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I imagine that the last thing anyone suffering from any of those conditions would want is to have attention called to them.  I’d guess they’d want to be as low key about it as possible.  I feel for all of them … and for anyone conflicted with any mental health disorders.  

Yup, we just want to be left alone, because at the end of the day we are the only ones that can get ourselves through it. Don't get me wrong sometimes talking helps and  we do appreciate when someone genuinely cares. We just have so much going through heads to process and need to figure that out for ourselves before we can talk. 

I literally get home from work and spend the first 2 hrs just trying to get through everything I did throughout the day and organize it in a way that I can handle it. Every morning I have to reset my mind to take on a new day with new challenges to sort through. It's exhausting.

• Like 3

Good for Lane getting the support and time he needed I  hope he continues to do so.

While I don't suffer from debilitating depression or anxiety my wife is a clinical psychologist who works daily with those that do so it's a big focus if attention in our household.

I hope he continues to take the steps he needs to be emotionally and mentally healthy.

• Like 2

Glad he's opened up about it and hopefully can get some help. Obviously Brookes suffers from a similar condition. 

I wonder if players get older and it starts to manifest itself.

When they're young and have less responsibilities i guess its less likely to happen.

10 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Great news, sorta. Hope he is well and not rushing back.

This was my initial reaction, too. At this point, it seems to have been proven banging one’s head into things caused many people negative emotional changes (or, maybe it just exacerbated previous issues). He’s only 31. He’s (hopefully) got a lot of life left.

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Glad he's opened up about it and hopefully can get some help. Obviously Brookes suffers from a similar condition. 

I wonder if players get older and it starts to manifest itself.

When they're young and have less responsibilities i guess its less likely to happen.

The 500 lb. gorilla in the room is that CTE  effects stack up and manifest the longer these guys play.  It makes sense now why he and Brooks have a bond over what we now know is a shared condition. 

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's good to recognize and get the help.  I'm a volunteer counselor through my church and have been trained on identifying some things.  My wife and son both have ADHD, my wife has depression and anxiety and my son has anxiety and goes to counseling.  We wanted to get him help early and it's really helping, he's coping better and less problems.  He speaks so maturely, and expresses himself so well even many adults can't express it like that.  We wanted him to start early so it's easier to manage as he gets older.

Very interesting and personal post for me.  My wife has the same condition set (ADHD and it’s associated depression/anxiety).  When she’s untreated, she’s a mess - constantly anxious over the smallest thing, unable to cope with the slightest stress without lashing out or breaking down, leaving messes everywhere and then complaining about clutter around the house.  It’s ugly.  Medication helps, but many of them lose effect after a certain amount of time and the process of finding another one that works, with tolerable side effects, starts all over.

I think the general public seriously underestimates how much of an impact these disorders have on an affected individual’s ability to function, let alone the impact on the people around them.  I live every day scared to death that ADHD is going to show up in one or both of ours kids because of how destructive it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Used to be the best RT in the league he has been banged up for the last couple.of years and has had not so great games sprinkled in. I don't want to deal with another Peters situation. 

Yeah that's true but he's considerably younger than Peters when we were still hanging on to him too long. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 7:00 PM, CheesesteakNBeer said:

About 2 years ago Lane and his wife seperated and somehow she got the kids. I watched it unfold on Instagram. It was pretty ugly. Not saying that has anything to do with what's going on now but could be.

Somehow?  "She" always gets the kids lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at a far less serious issue for a moment it will be good to see Lane back in action and seeing Mialata back at LT. Dillard isn’t close to the player Mialata is at LT and Mialata has struggled some coming off an injury and at RT. Some stability and talent on the OL will help this situation. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Somehow?  "She" always gets the kids lol

Not always. Lots of factors but i know what you mean.

1 hour ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

Not always. Lots of factors but i know what you mean.

Yeah I was exaggerating for sure but it's like 80-90% of the time

On 10/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is definitely more support for it these days but, it still carries a stigma. I have adhd and Bipolar 1 disorder..... I'm actually a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up on it.That explains not wanting to fly and the abrupt decision to just not play and take off. 

I've made irrational decisions in the moment and had freak out moments like that. I'm very open with it especially with my job but, they say they understand till they don't. Then they tell you that you are just doing it for attention and what not. It's not fun

I was diagnosed with ADHD and bipolar disorder just this year. I never thought I had an issue but I struggled with depression and massive highs and lows depending on what was going on.

The biggest thing for me was that I had multiple thoughts going on at the same time all the time. Unless I was hammered I couldn't sleep at night because of this. Usually I lived on 4 hours of sleep on a good night for the past 20 or so years. It wasn't until my actions almost ripped my life apart that I decided to get help.

I really thought everyone was this way so I never talked about. When I first was diagnosed I refused to take medication because I thought it would turn me into a mindless zombie. That I wouldn't be able to function properly because if I was able to survive 46 years on this planet this way and was able to be very successful, why would I want to screw with that?

Once I got over myself and took the medicine that I saw a dramatic change in my life and the things I do. The best way I could describe the medicine is that all the chattering monkeys stopped in my head. I know that sounds like I am insane but there is no other clean way to describe it. I was never hearing voices, it was just thoughts about everything around me at all times everything. Someone could be talking to me about work and I would be thinking about, the Eagles, my car, a vacation next week, a show on TV and an article I read earlier all at the same time.

While I don't harp on what I didn't do, I now wonder how much better off I could have been if I did this sooner. Projects that sat there unfinished are getting done. I am more focused and less emotional over everything, and less scattered brained which has improved my home life as well as work.

While it has a stigma still I just don't care. I tell everyone my story in hopes that it may help someone else in the future. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

The biggest thing for me was that I had multiple thoughts going on at the same time all the time. Unless I was hammered I couldn't sleep at night because of this. Usually I lived on 4 hours of sleep on a good night for the past 20 or so years. It wasn't until my actions almost ripped my life apart that I decided to get help.

This is how it all started for me brother. 

I 110% know what you are going through. You don't sound insane to me at all. I've been there. I've had more time to make the adjustments then you. Hang in there. Whatever you do don't convince yourself you don't need the meds. I battled that for 10 yrs. You may be fine now and think you have already accepted the meds. However, sometimes the meds ain't enough and you get manic and your mind starts playing tricks on you. 

If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to do so

• Like 2

The average person who gets hit with a load of stress is a good candidate to experience mental illness.  Most people experience anxiety or depression at some point.

Glad he's back, hope he's well.  IMO, this belongs off the headlines and is a private matter.

1 hour ago, Procus said:

The average person who gets hit with a load of stress is a good candidate to experience mental illness.  Most people experience anxiety or depression at some point.

Glad he's back, hope he's well.  IMO, this belongs off the headlines and is a private matter.

I think he was ready to speak about so that’s why he came back. It was going to become an unnecessary distraction if he hadn’t spoken about it even with a write up. Now that it’s out everyone can move on. Truth is we spend way too much time sweeping these types of issues under the rug. The more people speak up the less it becomes a taboo in society as a whole. Stress is a silent killer. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:53 AM, MIRV Griffen said:

Very interesting and personal post for me.  My wife has the same condition set (ADHD and it’s associated depression/anxiety).  When she’s untreated, she’s a mess - constantly anxious over the smallest thing, unable to cope with the slightest stress without lashing out or breaking down, leaving messes everywhere and then complaining about clutter around the house.  It’s ugly.  Medication helps, but many of them lose effect after a certain amount of time and the process of finding another one that works, with tolerable side effects, starts all over.

I think the general public seriously underestimates how much of an impact these disorders have on an affected individual’s ability to function, let alone the impact on the people around them.  I live every day scared to death that ADHD is going to show up in one or both of ours kids because of how destructive it is.

This is what my girlfriend does and been gone past 2 days. They also don't speak about loved ones and the anxiety they go through supporting them. I commend you cause I love her but not sure if I can deal with this anymore... should hear the voice mails I had at 6 am in morning today. Accusing me of not caring, when I'm not giving her crap about it and asking her to come home.

• Like 1

I'm going to say this once:  be respectful of mental health in this topic, not only toward Lane Johnson but your fellow community members sharing their own stories.  You have a hundred other topics to be a jackass in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4