Lane Johnson posts personal message about depression & anxiety, returning to the field soon

time2rock

Welcome back Lane.

Brooks should be back also for a game in the coming week, before he goes back on injured reserve.

So we should get 1 game with an experienced healthy Oline..

• Haha 1

Lane Johnson says he is battling depression and anxiety, will re-join team

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2021, 7:56 AM EDT

Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson has taken time away for what the team described as "personal reasons.” Now Johnson has confirmed publicly that the reasons had to do with depression and anxiety.

Johnson posted a statement on Twitter saying that he is planning to return to the team after taking some time to work on his mental health.

"I would like to thank everyone for their understanding and support over the last two weeks,” Johnson said. "I appreciate the positive notes and messages as I’ve worked hard to restore my personal life. Depression and anxiety are things I’ve dealt with for a long time and have kept hidden from my friends and family. If you’re reading this and struggling, please know that you are not alone. I am excited to re-join my teammates and coaches. I’m grateful for the entire Eagles community and look forward to continuing to play in front of the best fans in the world!”

Johnson played every snap for the first three games of the season but has not played in the last three games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/18/lane-johnson-says-he-is-battling-depression-and-anxiety-will-re-join-team/

Lane.thumb.jpg.75fd4836a6b0822e99dedba43c0d7e4b.jpg

• Like 2

Firstly really happy to have Lane back and I truly hope for his own wellbeing the time off helped him address his mental health and anxiety and that he is in a better place now.

From a football standpoint, it's huge. I have still not given up on Hurts and having Lane back at RT and Mailata back at LT will hopefully settle him more in the pocket and help him see the field and not look as jittery or uncertain.

Welcome back Lane. 

• Like 1

Glad that he's getting the help he needs and that more pro athletes are bringing awareness to mental health.  Wish him all the best.

• Like 1

Getting divorced by the wife, and she keeps the children, can lead to depression for years. I speak from experience. Will pray for him.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Big___Al said:

Getting divorced by the wife, and she keeps the children, can lead to depression for years. I speak from experience. Will pray for him.

Playing for a team run by Howie can really lead to depression!  :P

In all seriousness, glad he's back ... hope he got the help he needed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Glad that he's getting the help he needs and that more pro athletes are bringing awareness to mental health.  Wish him all the best.

^^^this.

And I'm glad athletes are finally talking about the importance of mental health.  I'm from an unhealthy place and time where you kept that stuff quiet or were seen as soft or weak. Now, the opposite is true.  Go in health, Lane. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is just so depressing. This team just misses so many guys every damn week. I know this isn't an injury but still.

Give Lane a break I know what he is dealing with I suffer from same thing .

58 minutes ago, rickospia said:

But give yourself a break too. I've come to the conclusion that *everyone* is crazy, myself included. That helps a little bit.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:00 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Has me thinking it could be something similar to what happened to Brooks. Anxiety issues can crop up out of nowhere. I certainly don’t believe it’s steroids or anything like that otherwise the league would already be involved. The fact that everyone has been so closed mouth about this has me thinking it’s a very personal matter either related to him or his immediate family. 

You win the speculation contest … congrats.  

As long as he's healthy, that's what really matters. if he's also ready for football, that's good news too. Welcome back Lane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickospia said:

Only 15 days late there... When at the time all we knew was that he wasn't going to be playing on that Sunday. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Making people aware of your mental health sometimes can be frustrating  and wish you never said anything. People still expect you to act normal and when you don't they just think you are off your meds and tell you to just go relax. 

I'm glad he said something though and made people aware. I just hope the people around him actually listen to him and truly understand and not just say it because that's what you are supposed to say. 

4 hours ago, Big___Al said:

I bet you, just like me still went to work every day. I lost my job of 23 years and starting over at 47. Getting paid peanuts now, but still work every day. My girlfriend of 6 years is bi polar and works everyday. Hopefully doesn't turn into Shawn Andrew's situation. 

Anxiety and depression was never really allowed to be expressed by athletes in the past. It is so much better today than it was before. I’m glad he got the help he needed. 

• Like 2

Welcome back. Also, the courage to speak up about it is huge- it will help others open up about it and get help. Those are serious issues, if not treated properly. They can become life threatening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Making people aware of your mental health sometimes can be frustrating  and wish you never said anything. People still expect you to act normal and when you don't they just think you are off your meds and tell you to just go relax. 

I'm glad he said something though and made people aware. I just hope the people around him actually listen to him and truly understand and not just say it because that's what you are supposed to say. 

Well he plays next to Brooks who also has gone through that so hopefully there's some support there.  I think back to Shawn Andrews who was going to be a beast for us but struggled with mental health issues as well.  You have to wonder if there wasn't as much stigma would a player like that have got the help he needed and been able to have a longer career.

During the draft weekend I remember a bunch of commercials from various pros talking about mental health awareness as well.  

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well he plays next to Brooks who also has gone through that so hopefully there's some support there.  I think back to Shawn Andrews who was going to be a beast for us but struggled with mental health issues as well.  You have to wonder if there wasn't as much stigma would a player like that have got the help he needed and been able to have a longer career.

During the draft weekend I remember a bunch of commercials from various pros talking about mental health awareness as well.  

There is definitely more support for it these days but, it still carries a stigma. I have adhd and Bipolar 1 disorder..... I'm actually a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up on it.That explains not wanting to fly and the abrupt decision to just not play and take off. 

I've made irrational decisions in the moment and had freak out moments like that. I'm very open with it especially with my job but, they say they understand till they don't. Then they tell you that you are just doing it for attention and what not. It's not fun

13 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is definitely more support for it these days but, it still carries a stigma. I have adhd and Bipolar 1 disorder..... I'm actually a bit disappointed in myself that I didn't pick up on it.That explains not wanting to fly and the abrupt decision to just not play and take off. 

I've made irrational decisions in the moment and had freak out moments like that. I'm very open with it especially with my job but, they say they understand till they don't. Then they tell you that you are just doing it for attention and what not. It's not fun

It's good to recognize and get the help.  I'm a volunteer counselor through my church and have been trained on identifying some things.  My wife and son both have ADHD, my wife has depression and anxiety and my son has anxiety and goes to counseling.  We wanted to get him help early and it's really helping, he's coping better and less problems.  He speaks so maturely, and expresses himself so well even many adults can't express it like that.  We wanted him to start early so it's easier to manage as he gets older.

• Like 2