Is it time for Minshew *** Poll ***

Is it time for Minshew  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for Minshew

This poll is closed to new votes

54 minutes ago, greenskeeper said:

If Hurts is the future, then you sit him so his ankle can fully heal after the bye. 

The problem is when Minshew comes in and shows what an actual NFL offense looks like.

Minshew couldn't win games with a Jags receiving corps that had 3 guys that had broken 700yards in a season in their careers plus Leviska Shenault as a rookie, we've got Devonta Smith, Failin' Reagor and guys who were famous for not breaking 500 yards even though their QB threw for 4000

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Yeah but ......... the Jags. They couldn't very well keep him after drafting a QB 1st overall. BTW, how's that 1st overall QB working out? Yes it's early but maybe something about that team?

This.  They needed to give Lawrence a clear path so couldn't have the shadow of Minshew behind him.  In 23 games with ishy JAX he put up 37 TDs to 11 INTs with a 62.8 comp%.  He was their 2nd leading rusher in both seasons with 344 yards (5.1 YPC) in 2019 and 153 (5.3 YPC) in 2020 in just 9 games so tells you how mediocre their ground game/OL was (though 2020 was Robinson's first season and he did go over 1000 yards, but still no other RB could top 150?).  He did put up better stats over that time than any other JAX QB.

Just as how the Eagles drafted Hurts as an insurance policy on Wentz (more about his injuries than his overall play, probably), I think they traded for Minshew to be a (temporary) insurance policy on Hurts.  They clearly favoured Minshew over Flacco by 1-trading for Minshew after overpaying for Flacco, and 2-then trading Flacco away. 

We know that Minshew isn't a long term answer.  He is what he is:  a very solid backup and PT caretaker.  But, he should be able to give us a glimpse of what Siri's O has the potential to be with the right QB (one they're going to have to get somehow) running it.  Minshew is a better pocket passer than Hurts.  I'm curious to see what the passing game looks like today, even vs the lowly Jets.  It should look better.  The WRs should look better today.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Yeah but ......... the Jags. They couldn't very well keep him after drafting a QB 1st overall. BTW, how's that 1st overall QB working out? Yes it's early but maybe something about that team?

Well the same could be said about this team too right? I mean last year the team had a 100 million dollar quarterback, and won three games with him. He looked like an absolute mess. Then that team adds one target, but gets rid of another and they’re expected to be elite now? Some of this talk about Hurts is true, but some of this stuff is frankly to be expected considering what is around him. 

8558673B-F761-44CA-926D-A45348E591FF.jpeg

• Like 1

I think we all overreact initially. I believe when you evaluate things after you give emotions time to settle down, you can get a better grasp on things. In the end, I'm just going to chalk this up to a young group of players that didn't finish plays. If you watch this video, you will see there are good things out there. As Thomas points out, those play designs worked. Guys were getting open. Hurts just didn't always make the right decision. Reagor, who had his worst game, IMO, still did good things until the point of the catch. I haven't checked what the different sites are saying about whether they credited him with "drops." He had 1 on the season going into the game. I really only felt like the last one was a "drop." The one before that, maybe it was dpi, maybe not, but typically you credit the defender on that play for preventing the completion. Regardless, he's capable of making that catch and absolutely needs to make that catch. As a player, if you want to help your team win and help your own career take off, you have to make plays when they are there regardless of difficulty. Reagor has had all his big moments in practice. Time is running out to deliver in the games. Once the season began, nobody cares how many big moments you had in practice. 

Back to Hurts, I think he was feeling a little too good about his previous games and was too comfortable in his ability to make something happen. Good lesson for him if he learns from it. Bad result for the team and fans last Sunday.  This offense should continue to work if we are executing correctly out there.

As many of us have tried to point out several times this season,  Minshew might not be the long term answer at QB, but he has way more QB1 chops than Hurts at this point. And it's not even close.  That may change in the future, but Minshew gives you the best chance of winning this season.  Anyone who couldn't see that still has a lot to learn about football.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

As many of us have tried to point out several times this season,  Minshew might not be the long term answer at QB, but he has way more QB1 chops than Hurts at this point. And it's not even close.  That may change in the future, but Minshew gives you the best chance of winning this season.  Anyone who couldn't see that still has a lot to learn about football.  

Minshew played a good game.   But, in the first half the Jets were caught by surprise.   They had been planning on playing a mobile Hurts running more RPO's.   The Jets adjusted a bit in the 2nd half.    

Nothing against Minshew.   He is more accurate than Hurts for sure.   At the same time, Hurts adds more to the run game.     If you could combine the 2, you would have superstar QB.    Hurts had a meltdown game last week with bad turnovers.   Minshew is a gun slinger who is capable of having the same type of games.   He had a game in 2019 where he lost 3 fumbles.

In a perfect world, I might like to see Minshew start, with Hurts coming in on the short yardage plays.  Similar to what Hill did when Brees was the QB in NO.

• Haha 2

Nice game by Minshew, but let's be real here - the guy is on the small side, and I doubt whether he'd be able to withstand the beating a QB normally undergoes during a now 17 game season.  Good option to have as a backup  though.

The Eagles search for a full time starter at QB should continue.

1 minute ago, Procus said:

Nice game by Minshew, but let's be real here - the guy is on the small side, and I doubt whether he'd be able to withstand the beating a QB normally undergoes during a now 17 game season.  Good option to have as a backup  though.

Doubtful that you're gonna find anyone arguing that Minshew needs to be the QB1 of the future.  But for the rest of this year?  Definitely Minshew.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

Doubtful that you're gonna find anyone arguing that Minshew needs to be the QB1 of the future.  But for the rest of this year?  Definitely Minshew.  

He should be given the rest of the year to prove he can be. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He should be given the rest of the year to prove he can be. 

He won't. However, Minshew may be a better overall QB than Hurts right now and for the length of their careers in the NFL. Both guys look like career backups to me. Neither is the long-term answer for the Eagles. There is no reason that they shouldn't allow Minshew to compete with Hurts for the #1 role. Eagles may not have the long-term answer next season either.

20 minutes ago, Procus said:

Uh, he's the same height as Hurts and only about 10 pounds lighter.  Want to try again?

As many of us have stated here, yet have to keep repeating for those slow on the uptake, Minshew is not the long term answer to our QB situation.  He is a very good backup to have on your team or at most he is a temporary caretaker while you either look for or groom a young QB to sooner than later be 'The Guy'.  But, we did get to see today that he's a much better QB than Hurts in terms of seeing the field, anticipating routes and WRs being open, and has better pocket awareness and simply moves a bit while keeping his eyes downfield instead of just tucking and taking off.  Put it this way, if Minshew was the QB vs the VaGiants then we win that game by 2 scores at least.

This wasn't a game to prove that Minshew is our future QB, it's a game to prove that Hurts is NOT.  The things that Minshew is better at than Hurts are only teachable by so much as they are more instinctive than learned so Hurts won't get much better than he is now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Uh, he's the same height as Hurts and only about 10 pounds lighter.  Want to try again?

No, I don't want to try again.  What does one have to do with the other.  And for that matter, why didn't Hurts play today?

1 hour ago, Pliny said:

Minshew played a good game.   But, in the first half the Jets were caught by surprise.   They had been planning on playing a mobile Hurts running more RPO's.   The Jets adjusted a bit in the 2nd half.    

Nothing against Minshew.   He is more accurate than Hurts for sure.   At the same time, Hurts adds more to the run game.     If you could combine the 2, you would have superstar QB.    Hurts had a meltdown game last week with bad turnovers.   Minshew is a gun slinger who is capable of having the same type of games.   He had a game in 2019 where he lost 3 fumbles.

In a perfect world, I might like to see Minshew start, with Hurts coming in on the short yardage plays.  Similar to what Hill did when Brees was the QB in NO.

A gunslinger with a noodle-arm? Probably not the best way to describe Minshew. You want to call him fiery, I can agree with that. 

2 hours ago, Devaster said:

Neither is the long-term answer for the Eagles. 

There is no way to really know this at this point.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

FYP

Does it matter? Hes allegedly the starter so everyone who's anti hurts can calm their nipples.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:27 AM, Swoop said:

While I can't speak for everyone, people know that the majority of us dont view Minshew as the franchise for the next decade, right?

Why?  What is it about Minshew that makes you draw that conclusion?  And for God's sake, don't say the "eye test".

22 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Minshew couldn't win games with a Jags receiving corps that had 3 guys that had broken 700yards in a season in their careers plus Leviska Shenault as a rookie, we've got Devonta Smith, Failin' Reagor and guys who were famous for not breaking 500 yards even though their QB threw for 4000

C'mon......those receivers were below average, the RBs didn't produce anything except Robinson.....and no TE....and the one of the worst head coaches in the NFL........they were a horrible team that was depending on a very young QB.  700 yards in a season for a receiver is 43 yards a game......and Shenault was a rookie that the coaching staff didn't know how to use.  

Not to mention the 30th ranked defense in the league.

It's a really stupid argument to blame Minshew for how bad the Jags were.....

32 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Why?  What is it about Minshew that makes you draw that conclusion?  And for God's sake, don't say the "eye test".

I think he's too limited as a passer, overall. Not saying he couldn't start and win games, just don't see him as an elite guy moving forward. 

Infinitely better than Hurts though.

• Like 1