Is it time for Minshew *** Poll ***

Is it time for Minshew  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for Minshew

This poll is closed to new votes

31 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Hurts is missing wide open receivers that the system is providing.  That tells me that Sirianni has given him a chance that he can't take advantage of.  How much better does Sirianni look if a competent QB is running the offense.

That's a 2-way street.  If your QB is struggling that much, what would a "QB coach do"?  He would likely start running the ball a little more in order to get his QB "settled down" a little, etc.  I mean, that's textbook coaching.  Sirianni kept dropping Hurts back during the Dallas game when he had similar struggles as last night...it didn't work then, why would he think it would work last night?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mr_hunt said:

same. he's been killin' it with those garbage time rushing td's. :lol: 

big-fudge-garbage-man.gif

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well yeah sure Sirianni probably would look a lot better. But guess what? That competent QB isn't Minshew either. 

Maybe he is.  Maybe he isn't.  No one knows because we haven't seen Minshew run it.  

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Maybe he is.  Maybe he isn't.  No one knows because we haven't seen Minshew run it.  

Well yeah true we haven't. But he's just not very good and that's my opinion. And I know that others have a different opinion on it. 

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

That's a 2-way street.  If your QB is struggling that much, what would a "QB coach do"?  He would likely start running the ball a little more in order to get his QB "settled down" a little, etc.  I mean, that's textbook coaching.  Sirianni kept dropping Hurts back during the Dallas game when he had similar struggles as last night...it didn't work then, why would he think it would work last night?  

Again. this is a chicken and egg argument.  Sirianni counts those screens as runs (in his mind, not mine). That's an Andy Reid philosophy.  We don't have to agree, that's how it is.  It's a safe assumption that Hurts could be running them wrong too. 

Whether he runs more in traditional sets or not, Hurts continues to not see AND MISS wide open receivers.  When the opportunity presents itself and he flat out misses....that's not on the coach.  Why does no one ever see that this offensive scheme is giving Hurts chances, he just makes it all look bad with his performance.  Overthrow, underthrow, interceptions.  AND the offense is keeping a major portion of the passes BEHIND THE LOS.  

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Again. this is a chicken and egg argument.  Sirianni counts those screens as runs (in his mind, not mine). That's an Andy Reid philosophy.  We don't have to agree, that's how it is.  It's a safe assumption that Hurts could be running them wrong too. 

Whether he runs more in traditional sets or not, Hurts continues to not see AND MISS wide open receivers.  When the opportunity presents itself and he flat out misses....that's not on the coach.  Why does no one ever see that this offensive scheme is giving Hurts chances, he just makes it all look bad with his performance.  Overthrow, underthrow, interceptions.  AND the offense is keeping a major portion of the passes BEHIND THE LOS.  

Hurts is (without question) at fault for his performance last night.  That said, Andy Reid would have never dropped him back that many times during the Dallas game and again last night, especially when you could clearly see he was rattled and making bad decision after bad decision.  Andy Reid knows QB's and he would have (at the very least) ran the ball MORE THAN 2 TIMES TO A RB during the Dallas game and MORE THAN ONCE to a RB during the 1st half of last night's game.  That type of play calling just screams "inexperience with QB's".

So yes, Hurts is at fault for his performance but his performance was (once again) made that much worse with a coach who needs to learn how to settle his QB down.  

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well yeah true we haven't. But he's just not very good and that's my opinion. And I know that others have a different opinion on it. 

You can have that opinion and it is fine.  It's not too far of a reach to say that we have no QBs.  The only problem that I see with developing too strong of an opinion  is that we haven't seen the other two run the offense. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Hurts is (without question) at fault for his performance last night.  That said, Andy Reid would have never dropped him back that many times during the Dallas game and again last night, especially when you could clearly see he was rattled and making bad decision after bad decision.  Andy Reid knows QB's and he would have (at the very least) ran the ball MORE THAN 2 TIMES TO A RB during the Dallas game and MORE THAN ONCE to a RB during the 1st half of last night's game.  That type of play calling just screams "inexperience with QB's".

So yes, Hurts is at fault for his performance but his performance was (once again) made that much worse with a coach who needs to learn how to settle his QB down.  

Maybe.  We don't know what the offense looks like with a competent QB.  Hurts is just bad when the ball has to go downfield beyond 5 yards.  I think the playcallers have their hands tied behind their backs personally with his limitations mentally and physically.  Oh, well.  It is what it is.

Let me ask:  what happens to the offense and its productivity if Hurts actually stands in the pocket like a QB does and completes a few passes downfield?  Wouldn't that open things up?  What passes do we have left in the arsenal (beyond screens, if all he can complete are less than 10 yards from the LOS?

I'd love to see more Sanders and Gainwell, but not much is open because of Hurts' limitations.

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But he's just not very good and that's my opinion. 

He came in cold, week 1 of his rookie year and completed 88% of his passes.  Then completed 69% and 66% the following two weeks.  He is better than Jalen Hurts, and would be playing in a better situation here.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

He came in cold, week 1 of his rookie year and completed 88% of his passes.  Then completed 69% and 66% the following two weeks.  He is better than Jalen Hurts, and would be playing in a better situation here.

And then got benched. And no other team seemed desperate to bring him in. I said outside of the SB achievement that Foles was not a good QB and guess what? He's not. I'm saying the same of Minshew. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And then got benched. And no other team seemed desperate to bring him in. I said outside of the SB achievement that Foles was not a good QB and guess what? He's not. I'm saying the same of Minshew. 

And I am saying the offense would be light  years better with a QB that can actually make NFL throws.

17 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts should be learning and improving with every game. His timing should be getting better with every practice. That hasn't been happening. 

The only grace I give Hurts is the play-calling, the offense shows no rhythm, diversity, creativity, just nothing at all. That's coaching.

If Sirianni survives this year hopefully he'll rethink the stupidity skipping mandatory mini-camp and not playing the starters in preseason, after all, an offense has to have more than 3 plays.

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Yes, because their decision making improved.  

Jalen's decision making is really only part of his problem.  Just watching on TV, it looked like most of his throws were to the right guy, save a few here and there.  Decision making is sadly not his problem.  His arm is the problem.  His accuracy looks terrible, especially after last night.   Decision making improves.  Arm strength improves.  It's hard to teach accuracy, and for Jalen that's going to be his downfall.  

Accuracy can be improved. Josh Allen was terribly inaccurate coming out of college. In fact, he had a completion rate of 52% as a rookie. Fast forward two years and he was throwing close to 70%. Lamar Jackson too. He was throwing 58% as a rookie, a few years later he was up to 67%. In Drew Brees’ 3rd year he was throwing 57%. By the end of his career he was consistently throwing over 70% and became the most accurate passer in NFL history. 

My point is very clear, accuracy can be dramatically improved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

mustache his way into a couple lucky wins 

:lol:

Minshew.jpg

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Does he? Then why is he the #3 on this roster? Why was he ousted by Glennon in Jacksonville? Because he's not good that is why. 

Are you talking about the Jacksonville team that hasn't won a game in over a year? Even on that horrible team he completed 66 percent of his passes and was 16td/5 int

11 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't forget the jockstrap king!

I know YOU didn't. 

22 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Since I think Hurts is neither the main problem, nor the long term solution what does that make me.

A QB who is not the long term solution is, at the core of things, pretty damn close to the main problem.

Now, is he the hottest burning fire in the dumpster?  I’d actually argue that he’s close to that too, but I can at least entertain the notion that he’s not.

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

The only grace I give Hurts is the play-calling, the offense shows no rhythm, diversity, creativity, just nothing at all. That's coaching.

If Sirianni survives this year hopefully he'll rethink the stupidity skipping mandatory mini-camp and not playing the starters in preseason, after all, an offense has to have more than 3 plays.

Well, if the offense has 3 plays, do you really need a preseason and practice to implement the offense?

I want them to give Hurts the year  and then look at his overall progression.

Look at Josh Allen's first 16 games vs 2nd vs 3rd season.  QBs take time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, proveagle said:

I want them to give Hurts the year  and then look at his overall progression.

Look at Josh Allen's first 16 games vs 2nd vs 3rd season.  QBs take time.

The problem is we've these same accuracy issues at Alabama, there was nothing outstanding there while playing with superior talent and coaching.

On 10/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You can have that opinion and it is fine.  It's not too far of a reach to say that we have no QBs.  The only problem that I see with developing too strong of an opinion  is that we haven't seen the other two run the offense. 

True but how do you know what Minshew can do if you don't play him. How do you play him without creating a quarterback controversy? Preseason next year? Probably.

19 hours ago, EagleVA said:

The problem is we've these same accuracy issues at Alabama, there was nothing outstanding there while playing with superior talent and coaching.

I hear what you are saying.  I watched him at Alabama and then at Oklahoma.  He progressed at Oklahoma and was not the same QB as he was at Alabama.  Either way though that is college and not in the NFL with NFL coaching etc.

I am not encouraged by what I am seeing.  He is too erratic and is missing reads and late with his throws.  Maybe I would be less tolerant if I thought this was a strong QB draft (its awful).  I am willing to see what he has got because he has major traits that are important in the NFL:  Leadership, Work Ethic, Growth Mindset, athletic profile.

He needs to use that too focus on his mental processing and accurate ball placement.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, T-1000 said:

Since I think Hurts is neither the main problem, nor the long term solution what does that make me.

I’m with you. Hurts is no franchise QB, but neither is he our biggest problem, that dishonor belongs to Siriani.

I will say this however, putting Minshew in there would put Siriani squarely under the microscope as to whether or not he should be retained.

The last thing I want is Siri scapegoating Hurts the whole season only to dangle playing Minshew/someone else next year.

Put Minshew in and see if Siriani’s offense is any better, if not then shitcan him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, proveagle said:

Maybe I would be less tolerant if I thought this was a strong QB draft (its awful). 

Matt Corral and Malik Willis look like potential stars to me, both are mobile, very accurate passers and great touch, Corral has a good arm and Willis has an outstanding arm.