Is it time for Minshew *** Poll ***

Is it time for Minshew  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for Minshew

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You stick with Hurts to seasons end, if it still isn't working him and Minshew and / or another retread attempt free agent (Mariota, Bridgwater) have a proper camp battle to be starter next year and hope one of them works out or there's a decent draft class of QB's in '23.

The worst thing this franchise can do is trade away draft picks for the last years of Russell Wilson or package those firsts to move ahead of a team like Detroit for one of the guys in this years class as it stands, if Pickett and Ridder keep improving and you can gain extra picks by moving back and pick one of them up late 1st that might be something worth considering but turning 3 picks into one or two to take someone like Willis or Corral top 3 would be a HUGE mistake.

Normally, I would agree. You don’t trade away draft picks but if Howie is making the picks, we’re better off trading them for some talent. A monkey throwing darts at a draft board could make better picks than Howie. 

With that being said, maybe Lurie is the one behind the scenes pulling the strings for everything because there’s no way an owner could be happy with Howie’s performance in the draft. The first problem this team needs to address is the FO. They need to find a football guy, not a lawyer or accountant, to run the show and make personnel decisions. 

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The play-calling is built around him and the decision to run, handoff, or pass is mostly his read. I'd like to see how this offense looks with a more traditional QB --- with play-calling built around that guy.

I get that, but I also think there's something to be said for lining up under center and handing the ball off to your dynamic running back. I'm a fan of the read option, but it shouldn't be our only mechanism for handing the ball off. It's a joke at this point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But all the while that potentially gives Sirianni an excuse and I think he's the bigger problem. 

His play calling leave a lot to be desired, but, there is wide open WR’s that Hurts is not seeing

Yes, because I don't want Hurts blamed for all of Sirianni's failures and idiocy. While I don't think Hurts is an NFL starter, I don't think Aaron Rodgers could succeed in this "offense". Sirianni needs to go and I don't want next season to be "Let's give him a chance with a different QB".

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts should be learning and improving with every game. His timing should be getting better with every practice. That hasn't been happening. Sticking with him too long might adversely affect the growth of the young WRs. It's time to open up the competition for the QB1 job. Hurts can still wind up being the guy, but right now, he can't even perform in front of the home crowd. I'm a patient guy, but if there is someone sitting behind a starter that has a higher ceiling, than it's criminal to keep that player inactive on game days. 

They are going to give Hurts every chance to see if he can develop if for nothing else, he was a high pick.  Howie has way too many misses with those high picks ... I wouldn't doubt if the directive comes from above to keep playing him to see if he can progress and prove worthy of the selection.  I'll further guess Hurts is our starting QB for all of 2021.  If we have as many questions about him at the end of the season as we did entering it, I can see a true QB competition next offseason leading up to the 2022 season.  We shall see.  

23 minutes ago, downundermike said:

His play calling leave a lot to be desired, but, there is wide open WR’s that Hurts is not seeing

Yeah I'm not going to argue that because he is. He really is.

Hurts is going to get the season 

Minshew is contingency for next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Minshew may be the guy if they draft a QB. Just to let the rookie sit for a few weeks. 

3 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I'm all for giving Hurts the rest of the season, but I think that Siri will more than likely panic if we're sitting at 2-10 and start Minshew. 

2 minutes ago, Birdman said:

I'm all for giving Hurts the rest of the season, but I think that Siri will more than likely panic if we're sitting at 2-10 and start Minshew. 

If we start 2-10 with the Raiders, Lions, and Giants all coming up and winnable games against the Broncos and Saints also on the schedule, we'll be looking for a new coach and a new QB in the offseason.

Minshew is not going to make the Coach run the ball. He is not the answer to this teams problems.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Yes, because I don't want Hurts blamed for all of Sirianni's failures and idiocy. While I don't think Hurts is an NFL starter, I don't think Aaron Rodgers could succeed in this "offense". Sirianni needs to go and I don't want next season to be "Let's give him a chance with a different QB".

Siri is a certified idiot no doubt but let's be honest here. Rodgers and many other starting QBs and backups can hit on those passes that Hurts constantly weak arms several times a game. Hit a few of those and the games are different. 

9 minutes ago, Heavywchamp said:

Siri is a certified idiot no doubt but let's be honest here. Rodgers and many other starting QBs and backups can hit on those passes that Hurts constantly weak arms several times a game. Hit a few of those and the games are different. 

Gardner Minshew can hit those passes.

Naw, you let Hurts dazzle with his legs and hope someone gives you a 2 for him next year. His legs are literally the only asset this team has, because it sure isn't his passing ability or field vision.

Maybe that's not totally fair to Miles Sanders who might be an asset if the coaches ever remember there are 11 guys on offense.

• Like 1

Give Hurts all 17 games. In the big picture, it's the best thing for the team in every way.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Gardner Minshew can hit those passes.

Would love to see what he can do. We're being force-fed Hurts. 

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

Give Hurts all 17 games. In the big picture, it's the best thing for the team in every way.

Top 5 pick

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

yeah...let hurts start this season. then see if you can get a decent draft pick for him in a trade. they can go into next season with minshew & a qb they draft with one of their 1st round picks. 

10 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

You want to be careful making a habit of firing coaches after short times. Makes people with options not want the job. Ask the Browns. 

People with options already don't want this job. That's how we end up with Sirianni who is willing to do everything that Howie and Lurie tell him during the week every week. 

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

People with options already don't want this job. That's how we end up with Sirianni who is willing to do everything that Howie and Lurie tell him during the week every week. 

Did you ever think they didn't want the job because they knew they would be forced to figure out a way to make Hurts look good ??

The only reason to inevitably go with Minshew is to further expose how terrible of a HC Sirianni is. 

4 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

yeah...let hurts start this season. then see if you can get a decent draft pick for him in a trade. they can go into next season with minshew & a qb they draft with one of their 1st round picks. 

2022 draft offers no QB's worthy of an early first round pick. 2023 looks like it probably will. They must move pick(s) forward in time to position the team to get one. I expect Howie to NOT do that and miss out completely.

Just now, downundermike said:

Did you ever think they didn't want the job because they knew they would be forced to figure out a way to make Hurts look good ??

No because they were sold the job that Wentz would be the QB. Sirianni already said that was his expectation when he took the job. 

2 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The only reason to inevitably go with Minshew is to further expose how terrible of a HC Sirianni is. 

Minshew will go through his reads, find the 2nd and 3rd guys open, and also throw deep passes efficiently.  The only one who will be exposed if Minshew plays is Hurts.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'll give Sirianni a bit more time on his HC eval, since the players are playing pretty hard. That said, the players are also constantly doing very very stupid stuff, and that's a bad look. Jury is still out, IMO.

His playcalling is inarguably atrocious. He needs to give that up immediately and see if Shane is any better.