****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

46 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Wasn’t expecting a win, but it’s still disappointing to get the loss.

Three goals in four matches, yeesh. Crappy.

So, all you that hate the Manager, who do you want to replace him?? Names, possibilities?

Do you have to know soccer to manage?  I.e can you bring in a guy that just knows people

like Andy Reid or Doug Pederson… nobody knows them for their playing days.  Did we pick Berhalter because we wanted to pick from the pool of people who have played for the international team?  Maybe what we need is a guy that had no playing talent but understands the game 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

Do you have to know soccer to manage?  I.e can you bring in a guy that just knows people

like Andy Reid or Doug Pederson… nobody knows them for their playing days.  Did we pick Berhalter because we wanted to pick from the pool of people who have played for the international team?  Maybe what we need is a guy that had no playing talent but understands the game 

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say to be honest. Of course you should know the game. Are so many different styles of play formations, picking rosters etc etc

Reid is actually one of the best NFL minds ever, just because he looks like a walrus doesn't mean he just manages people 

14 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say to be honest. Of course you should know the game. Are so many different styles of play formations, picking rosters etc etc

Reid is actually one of the best NFL minds ever, just because he looks like a walrus doesn't mean he just manages people 

Well yeah, but ok.  He didn’t play at the highest levels 

2 hours ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

It does make sense why backup QBs might be good football coaches though.  They spend a lot of their playing career analyzing the game, particularly for Doug since he was Brett Favre’s backup.  You certainly don’t have to be a star player to be a good coach or manager.

As the manager of a national soccer team you basically have 2 responsibilities.  1). Finding the best talent and 2). Getting the most out of the players you have.

7 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

They aren’t great, but they know how to score.  Which brings me back to my original post (see above).

Slightly disappointed with the result. I mean it was expected I guess but still I was hoping for an upset. 

13 hours ago, Seventy_Yard_FG said:

There are different types of coaches just like in the NFL.

Zidane is arguably the greatest midfielder of all time, and later coached Real Madrid to three straight European titles as a "player’s coach” who managed to get a room full of the biggest egos in soccer to work together. He wasn’t known as a brilliant tactician when coaching though.

I do think you need some tactical skill as well. Zidane was hated for his team’s play style, but he made a lot of important decisions. He benched two superstars of the time — Bale and Rodriguez — for Casemiro (a thuggish defensive midfielder) and Isco (a ball control attacking midfielder).

He used left back Marcelo as his main playmaker in attack and pushed Ronaldo into the penalty box to act more as a poacher.

If you mean "do you have to have been a great player to then coach,” no — definitely not. Mourinho is one of the greatest coaches ever and he was nothing as a player.

Also, congratulations to serial choke artist Messi for finally scoring in a knockout round at 35 years of age.

Certainly the highlight of his underwhelming international career. Third greatest Argentinian ever, second best player of his generation, and all with just the aid of PEDs from a young age!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TEW said:

Also, congratulations to serial choke artist Messi for finally scoring in a knockout round at 35 years of age.

Certainly the highlight of his underwhelming international career. Third greatest Argentinian ever, second best player of his generation, and all with just the aid of PEDs from a young age!

salt.gif?w=316&zoom=2

46 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

salt.gif?w=316&zoom=2

How in the hell did it take Messi longer than Haji Wright to score in a knockout round? :lol: 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

F France. Snail eating cowards. 

🇵🇱 🇵🇱 🇵🇱 

Say what you will about them… France has an unbelievably talented team. They’re missing the reigning Ballon D’Or winner, Kante and Pogba and they’re STILL favorites to win the cup.

I really wish Benzema was healthy… that guy deserves a shot at winning it all.

26 minutes ago, TEW said:

How in the hell did it take Messi longer than Haji Wright to score in a knockout round? :lol: 

Ronaldo's never done it :roll:

4 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Ronaldo's never done it :roll:

Yeah, but he plays for Fing Portugal, has won the Euros, 5 UCLs, and doesn’t chronically miss penalties. :roll: 

Messi is lucky DiMaria is there to carry Argentina on his back.

11 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

And Chris Richards, 26, who is our best CB 

And Pepi, who is our most talented ST but somehow didn’t make the team, will be 23.

54 minutes ago, TEW said:

Say what you will about them… France has an unbelievably talented team. They’re missing the reigning Ballon D’Or winner, Kante and Pogba and they’re STILL favorites to win the cup.

I really wish Benzema was healthy… that guy deserves a shot at winning it all.

F France. Snail eating cowards. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TEW said:

Yeah, but he plays for Fing Portugal, has won the Euros, 5 UCLs, and doesn’t chronically miss penalties. :roll: 

Messi is lucky DiMaria is there to carry Argentina on his back.

Di Maria has yet to score so far and didn't even play against Australia, so swing and a miss there. Meanwhile Messi passes your boyfriend on two different records on the same day (three, if you want to count your knockout stage goals record.) Cope and seethe, you salty beeitch, Cope and seethe. :lol: 

Messi beats Ronaldo, sets record for most Man of the Match awards in World Cup history

Argentina captain Lionel Messi, with eight Man of the Match awards in World Cups, has gone past Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/fifa-world-cup/news/messi-vs-ronaldo-records-man-of-the-match-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-stats-goals-comparison-argentina-portugal/article66220793.ece

Messi overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo’s World Cup goals tally

Messi scored in the 35th minute of Argentina’s round of 16 match against Australia to go past his Portuguese contemporary.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/fifa-world-cup/news/lionel-messi-overtakes-cristiano-ronaldo-fifa-world-cup-goals-tally-argentina-vs-australia-round-of-16-qatar-wc-22-updates/article66207168.ece

3 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Di Maria has yet to score so far and didn't even play against Australia, so swing and a miss there. Meanwhile Messi passes your boyfriend on two different records on the same day (three, if you want to count your knockout stage goals record.) Cope and seethe, you salty beeitch, Cope and seethe. :lol: 

Messi beats Ronaldo, sets record for most Man of the Match awards in World Cup history

Argentina captain Lionel Messi, with eight Man of the Match awards in World Cups, has gone past Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/fifa-world-cup/news/messi-vs-ronaldo-records-man-of-the-match-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-stats-goals-comparison-argentina-portugal/article66220793.ece

Messi overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo’s World Cup goals tally

Messi scored in the 35th minute of Argentina’s round of 16 match against Australia to go past his Portuguese contemporary.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/football/fifa-world-cup/news/lionel-messi-overtakes-cristiano-ronaldo-fifa-world-cup-goals-tally-argentina-vs-australia-round-of-16-qatar-wc-22-updates/article66207168.ece

5>4

Euros>Copa

Ronaldo>Messi

Just now, TEW said:

5>4

Euros>Copa

Ronaldo>Messi

Look how happy he is holding a baby version of himself.

161-1619242_messi-argentina-lionel-messi

France looks like they're going to be tough to beat. It's going to take an off game. I had originally predicted a Brazil vs Portugal finals, however, assuming they both make it that far. France shouldn't struggle with Portugal