****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

La Liga training has resumed!

Competition begins in June!

Plus a very interesting new set of rules for the remainder of the season:

(1) Teams will have 23 players available for every match. 11 starters, 12 on the bench.

(2) Each team will have a maximum total of 5 player substitutions.

(3) To avoid increased delays in the match, each team will only be allowed 3 opportunities to make substitutions.

So, for example, you could make one sub, then two at one time, then two more at your third opportunity for a total of five players. Or one, one, three. Or one then four. Or five all at once. You get the idea.

I really like the concept. Teams are expected to be playing a match every third day to make up time from the season, so this will allow teams to pace their players fitness and reduce injury.

I think it’s great to use the opportunity to experiment with some rule changes. In theory, this system should also do wonders for youth development if implemented for a full season. Imagine how many managers would use younger players to start a match if they had five subs in their pocket to bring them off if they were performing poorly? Or in the case of blowouts, bring them on the field. It would benefit older players as well since they could start matches but be limited to 50-60 minutes.

This should be interesting to watch. Plus, finally, live sports! :excited: 

So glad this thread is official.

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hopefully the EPL just gets cancelled. 

😁

What do you think happens with relegation if it does get cancelled?

1 hour ago, TEW said:

What do you think happens with relegation if it does get cancelled?

I'm not really sure... There are so many issues and ramifications to figure out.

4 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

EPL JUNE 1ST 

GGMU

Not going to happen bud. At this point they should just scrap the idea. 

So you are saying the govt will back track on the permission they gave the EPL to start the 1st? 

9 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

So you are saying the govt will back track on the permission they gave the EPL to start the 1st? 

Permission or not the players don't want to and there's many other things to resolve first. 

Plus I've seen nothing official that they've been given permission so where are you seeing that?

Haland with another goal for Dortmund! Kid is special. Wonder how long they’ll keep him.

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Haland with another goal for Dortmund! Kid is special. Wonder how long they’ll keep him.

He's something else isn't he. Been a scoring machine since joining Dortmund. Great to hear that he continued that.

On 5/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, Blazehound said:

Supposedly there is a €60M release clause in his contract that kicks in the summer of 2021.

I think Madrid goes the double galactico route and brings in both him and Mbappe that summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Supposedly there is a €60M release clause in his contract that kicks in the summer of 2021.

I think Madrid goes the double galactico route and brings in both him and Mbappe that summer.

Oh my god can you imagine? That would be freaking insane if Madrid paired those two together. Would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh my god can you imagine? That would be freaking insane if Madrid paired those two together. Would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch. 

A lot of reputable sources have reported that this is the plan.  Basically Galacticos 3.0... Plus it would coincide with the stadium remodeling project.

Madrid has done a fantastic job of buying up young talent for relatively cheap prices and positioning themselves financially. The one thing we really lack is that transcendent finisher up top. You add those two and pair them with Vinicious and Rodrygo and I think it could usher in another golden age for Madrid. Barca is on the decline and liverpool are getting a bit old, so i think there would be the chance to dominate both domestically and in Europe. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TEW said:

A lot of reputable sources have reported that this is the plan.  Basically Galacticos 3.0... Plus it would coincide with the stadium remodeling project.

Madrid has done a fantastic job of buying up young talent for relatively cheap prices and positioning themselves financially. The one thing we really lack is that transcendent finisher up top. You add those two and pair them with Vinicious and Rodrygo and I think it could usher in another golden age for Madrid. Barca is on the decline and liverpool are getting a bit old, so i think there would be the chance to dominate both domestically and in Europe. 

Oh absolutely and I hope Real do dominate both domestically and Europe. I've always been Madrid over Barca and I would love to see them back on top in Europe. If they were to add both Mbappe and Haaland to that attack with Vincious and Rodrygo then I mean that would be crazy and such good fun to watch.

I'm completely taken aback by this. Soccer should not be returning whilst COVID-19 is still so rife in the community. Scrap the season for the love of God. Get ready for next season and hopefully that can start on time. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm completely taken aback by this. Soccer should not be returning whilst COVID-19 is still so rife in the community. Scrap the season for the love of God. Get ready for next season and hopefully that can start on time. 

your LDS is shining thru :P

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

LDS?

Liverpool Derangement Syndrome

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Liverpool Derangement Syndrome

God I dislike that team. Id really like them to just not win the league at this point. 

42 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

God I dislike that team. Id really like them to just not win the league at this point. 

It would be the ultimate salt in their long suffering wounds to get this close only to be denied by something they can't even see

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

It would be the ultimate salt in their long suffering wounds to get this close only to be denied by something they can't even see

Yes it would. And it would be oh so sweet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jenkins27 said:

Premier League starting back up June 17th!

Complete and utter joke that is. I'm at a loss for words.