****OFFICIAL SOCCER THREAD****

TEW

1 hour ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Best day of soccer, I have seen ever. 

And I F'ing missed all of it aside from the last 5 min of ET and PKs in the second game. F'ing work.

Good Lord. That Neymar goal was the best goal of the tournament for me. Can't help but feel bad for him.

What a rollercoaster those two games must've been.

He is the reporter that got told he can't wear his Pride Shirt. Better hope Qatar had nothing to do with this or just cancel the WC

53 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Good Lord. That Neymar goal was the best goal of the tournament for me. Can't help but feel bad for him.

What a rollercoaster those two games must've been.

It was a thing of beauty, but damn stop attacking with 4 minutes left. 

38 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Foul play???

Sure looks like a possibility.

I have to say though, why poke the bear? It’s like Grimer… don’t go to alien nations and break their laws. These places are not like the west.

Wahl wrote on Monday that he visited a hospital in Qatar after his body "finally broke down” after three weeks of little sleep, high stress and a heavy workload.

"What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort,” Wahl wrote. "I didn’t have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I’m already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno.”

Wahl was initially denied entry to a stadium last month before a game between the U.S. and Wales. He said he was detained for 30 minutes for wearing a shirt that had a soccer ball surrounded by a rainbow, though he was eventually let in.

The Qatari government has cracked down on LGBTQ news coverage recently as it prepared to host the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/09/u-s-soccer-journalist-dies-world-cup-grant-wahl-00073361

Unless he was poisoned or was exposed to something that would cause respiratory distress, this just seems more like really bad luck to get sick in a country with mediocre healthcare options.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Sure looks like a possibility.

I have to say though, why poke the bear? It’s like Grimer… don’t go to alien nations and break their laws. These places are not like the west.

Even if there was foul play, which doesn't seem to be the case, it's a bit of leap to assume it's state-sanctioned. Could just as easily be some pissed off Qataris with no affiliation to the government. 

20 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

Even if there was foul play, which doesn't seem to be the case, it's a bit of leap to assume it's state-sanctioned. Could just as easily be some pissed off Qataris with no affiliation to the government. 

Absolutely. I mean don’t poke the bear in the general sense. If you go to a fundamentalist Muslim country, then you need to worry about both the government and the general public. They are not like us.

12 minutes ago, TEW said:

Absolutely. I mean don’t poke the bear in the general sense. If you go to a fundamentalist Muslim country, then you need to worry about both the government and the general public. They are not like us.

It was his job to cover the sport, so not going wasn't really an option, but yeah some discretion is needed if you're a gay man going to a country like that. But based on everything we know, his main mistake seems to be underestimating just how much his illness had taken a toll. Had a coworker pass out at work a few years back after trying to "tough it out" while he was sick with the flu. Denial is one of the most powerful human emotions to override.

42 minutes ago, we_gotta_believe said:

It was his job to cover the sport, so not going wasn't really an option, but yeah some discretion is needed if you're a gay man going to a country like that. But based on everything we know, his main mistake seems to be underestimating just how much his illness had taken a toll. Had a coworker pass out at work a few years back after trying to "tough it out" while he was sick with the flu. Denial is one of the most powerful human emotions to override.

Gotcha. I don’t know his personal circumstances. All I know is these people traveling to foreign countries really need to start using some sense. Even some European countries will throw you in jail for things that are completely innocuous in the US.

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Was very very disappointed that Argentina went through yesterday. They are a very very unlikeable team. 

If Luka Modric can drag Croatia to a win over Argentina I think he vaults into the greatest midfielders of all time discussion with Zidane and Platini. To do what he is doing at 37 years old is just incredible.

It’s going to be a tough ask, but don’t ever doubt my man Luka! The dude has found the fountain of youth.

• Like 1

Poor by the Portuguese keeper. If you are going to come off your line in that situation you damn well better be sure you can at least punch the ball clear of danger.

Terrible judgement of timing.

• Like 1

Madrid have been really good about selling youngsters who aren’t quite good enough for big profit, but Hakimi is definitely one of the few who got away.

How do you not get a foot on that set piece? Ronaldo drew the entire defense with his run and left a free shot from 8 yards out!

Portugal’s crosses have been terrible. Corners floating 50 feet in the air out of the box. They need to whip some low crosses in and cause some chaos.