Are the Foreskins still an NFL team?

wtfcares

Chief Wahoo was phased out.  That’s the way I’d describe it over the last few years.  It is a racist caricature.  I wouldn’t say the Braves are safe.  If the Indians change their name then everyone will start focusing on Atlanta being the holdout in MLB. 

The problematic thing for the Skins is obviously their name.  Because of that they’ll need a full rebrand.  They need a new owner too, although Eagles fans should hope Snyder doesn’t sell...

5 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yes you would.  You could easily offhandedly call somebody at the end of the bar a Cowboy.  You would have no issue meeting some Swiss dude and calling him a Viking within 5 minutes either.  I think you are refusing to spend a little introspection on this and that's why i have to say you are wrong.

I guess you know me better than I. 

10 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

I wouldn’t say the Braves are safe

How do they get away with tomahawk chop?  Seriously, that’s just about as bad as it gets.  The name "Braves” is probably ok.  

10 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

a new owner too, although Eagles fans should hope Snyder doesn’t sell

I’ve heard some rumblings about that.  Minority owners are done and want to sell.  Jeff Bezos is a name I heard associated...

Report: Redskins’ Name Only Offensive If You Think About What It Means

kccbksqmad81gqd0yyww.jpg

WASHINGTON—A new study published Monday by the University of New Mexico confirmed that the name of the Washington Redskins is only offensive if you take any amount of time whatsoever to think about its actual meaning. "When you hear or say ‘Redskins’ in the abstract, it’s completely harmless, but we’ve discovered that if you briefly pause to remember it’s a racial slur for an indigenous group wiped out by genocide over the course of a few centuries, then, yeah, it’s awful,” said lead researcher Lawrence Wagner, adding that only if you allow the NFL franchise’s name to register in your mind does it evoke the thought of human beings devastated by the forced removal from tribal lands, intentional exposure to smallpox, and countless massacres. "It has the potential to come across as a degrading relic of an ethnocentric mentality responsible for the destruction of an entire people and their culture, but that’s only if you take a couple seconds to recognize it as something beyond a string of letters.” Wagner recommended that the NFL franchise should change their name to something more appropriate and historically accurate, such as the Washington Racist Fs.

I mean that's funny, but that's like, EXACTLY what i spent an entire page walking brksmn through.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:53 PM, dawkins4prez said:

You could easily offhandedly call somebody at the end of the bar a Cowboy.

You can call me a Cowboy. That's ok. Call me a Cowboys fan? Now you've crossed the line! :furious:

42 minutes ago, toolg said:

You can call me a Cowboy. That's ok. Call me a Cowboys fan? Now you've crossed the line! :furious:

Settle down Chief.

1 hour ago, paco said:

JFC :facepalm:

I read through some of that. What a bunch of dopes. They still want to keep it native American related and still using the same kind of logo lol. Just start fresh you morons. 

12 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I read through some of that. What a bunch of dopes. They still want to keep it native American related and still using the same kind of logo lol. Just start fresh you morons. 

If a fresh start involved a new owner I think most fans would go for it.

First Nike, then Walmart, now Amazon pulls R-words merchandise.

The NFL and Fanatics? (not sure how legit, fwiw)

NFL Shop Reportedly Makes Decision On Redskins Gear

GettyImages-84139954-775x465.jpg

A Washington Redskins name change is expected to come soon, after announcing a "thorough review” of the situation last week. The decision came the day after some of the teams sponsors exerted pressure on the franchise, including Nike, which removed Redskins gear from its online shop.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has publicly supported the name change. "In the last few weeks we have had ongoing discussions with (Redskins owner Dan Snyder) and we are supportive of this important step,” he said in a statement. Even so, the NFL isn’t going to pull gear from its own store before a change comes.

According to Sports Business Daily, NFLShop.com will still have Washington gear available. Fanatics, a major online sports gear retailer, will as well. That news comes as other major stores, including Target, pull it from their online listings.

"A Fanatics spokesperson said the sites will continue to sell Redskins licensed items for the time being,” Terry Lofton reports. "The person added that Fanatics was taking direction from the NFL on the matter. An NFL spokesperson noted that a team review of the name is underway and that Redskins merch will remain on NFLShop.com during the review.”

Per the report, both online shops have 2,644 Redskins items available. Fanatics, which the NFL has 3-percent equity in, runs the league’s online shops.

While the timeframe is very short, a name change could come as soon as this coming 2020 season. Ron Rivera says that having the new name ready for the fall would be "awesome.” He also said that there are already two options that stand out, though he wouldn’t reveal what they are at this point.

One thing is certain: when the Redskins name change becomes official, there will be a serious push to get that new gear on Washington fans.

22 hours ago, paco said:

JFC :facepalm:

It’s my favorite Eagles fan story of all time.

If they change the name because it denotes a derogatory image of a race of people. Will fans who wear throwback gear be considered racists?

1 hour ago, hey suess said:

If they change the name because it denotes a derogatory image of a race of people. Will fans who wear throwback gear be considered racists?

You mean these fans?

Washington-fan-in-redface-e1443383987805

CMRCOHCJ3EYMVL34PSYYYPRN7U.jpg

redskinsfan7.jpg

NAH

#heritagenothate (Yes, that was a real thing from their propaganda arm)

As R-words review name, Dan Snyder's once-touted Native American foundation has gone dark

In the face of mounting public pressure to change the name of his NFL team, Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wrote in a 2014 letter that it was time to focus on actions, not words.

That's why, he wrote, he was announcing the creation of the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation, a nonprofit organization that would "provide meaningful and measurable resources that provide genuine opportunities for Tribal communities."

"I believe the Washington Redskins community should commit to making a real, lasting, positive impact on Native American quality of life — one tribe and one person at a time," Snyder wrote.

Now, more than six years later, the team is undergoing a "thorough review" of its name amid a new wave of criticism and public statements from key sponsors. 

And after a splashy start, Snyder's once-trumpeted foundation has effectively gone dark.

According to an audited financial statement obtained by USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday, the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation (WROAF) distributed $0 in grants or donations to Native American causes during the fiscal year ending Feb. 28, 2019 — the most recent year for which records are publicly available. 

The absence of financial giving in the 2019 fiscal year is part of a steep decline since the foundation's inaugural year. 

Tax records show the WROAF donated nearly $3.7 million to Native American causes in that first year, but less than half that amount ($1.6 million) in Year 2. The foundation subsequently donated about $650,000 in the 2017 fiscal year, $303,000 in the 2018 fiscal year and $0 in the 2019 fiscal year, according to tax records.

As a result of that decline, the WROAF has spent more money maintaining its own staff than it has directed to Native American causes in each of the two most recent years for which records are publicly available.

Brian Mittendorf, an expert in non-profit accounting, said the organization's finances paint the picture of a private foundation that is "just kind of hovering out there."

"They’ve shifted away from providing grants to charities that are engaged in these areas. They’ve, in fact, shifted to a level of zero," said Mittendorf, an accounting professor at Ohio State.

"I guess the big question you would say is: What is it they’re doing instead? And it’s largely paying salaries. How that translates to the charitable outcomes is unclear."

In response to a series of questions about the WROAF, team spokesperson Sean DeBarbieri said the foundation has directed more money to Native American causes than any other professional sports team since its creation in 2014, citing a figure of nearly $10 million. (He later clarified that only $6.25 million has been directly distributed to Native American communities, and that the $10 million figure includes the foundation's operational and overhead costs.)

DeBarbieri also wrote in an email that the WROAF conducted two football camps, facilitated the donation of 160 pairs of glasses and delivered food and supplies to various tribes in South Dakota during the 2019 fiscal year, which covers the period from Feb. 28, 2018 to Feb. 28, 2019. 

Boyd Gourneau, a leader with the Lower Brule Sioux, confirmed that his tribe benefited from all three activities, but he said the glasses were donated in the fall of 2019 and the other activities occurred roughly three or more years ago. He said his tribe nevertheless has a "great" relationship with the foundation.

"We haven't had a lot of interaction lately," Gourneau said Wednesday morning. "But you know, every tribe is kind of in a fight for survival right now. And when it comes, we'll take it. We can sure use it."

While the WROAF is still registered as an active charitable organization in Virginia, according to state records, there have been few public traces of its activity since 2018.

The foundation does not have active social media accounts, and the domain name for its web site has expired, though the site itself is still accessible. Promotional materials distributed by the team focus on the efforts of The Redskins Charitable Foundation, a separate nonprofit entity.

The lapse of the WROAF stands in stark contrast to the bombast with which Snyder, who has owned the Redskins since 1999, announced its creation.

In his four-page letter to fans in 2014, Snyder wrote that he had visited 26 reservations across 20 states in an effort to learn about the hardships faced by Native American communities. He also outlined charitable efforts that were already underway to address them.

"Because I’m so serious about the importance of this cause, I began our efforts quietly and respectfully, away from the spotlight, to learn and take direction from the Tribal leaders themselves," Snyder wrote.

In subsequent years, however, the WROAF quickly became a source of tension in some Native American communities, with multiple tribes or reservations declining to accept grants or donations from the foundation out of fear that they would become props in the ongoing fight over the NFL team's name.

The Quechan Tribe in Yuma, Arizona, for example, said it turned down a "blank check" from the WROAF that would have constructed a skate park on the Fort Yuma Reservation.

"We know bribe money when we see it," the Quechans said in a statement at the time.

Others were more open to the foundation's offers. The Chippewa Cree Tribe in Montana, for example, allowed the WROAF to finance the construction of a burgundy-and-gold playground on the Rocky Boy's Reservation. According to tax records, the tribe received more than $960,000 from the foundation in a three-year span beginning with the 2015 fiscal year.

Like other tribes, though, the Chippewa Cree saw that money dry up during the 2018 fiscal year. It did not receive any grants or contributions in that time period, according to the WROAF's tax filing. (A message left with the tribe's finance department Tuesday was not immediately returned.)

Mittendorf said he found the WROAF's recent financial records to be both bleak and unusual. He noted that the foundation had just $1,000 in cash on hand in February 2018, for example, and that its spending on staff relative to grants and donations was "pretty skewed" — especially in the 2019 fiscal year, when it did not issue any grants or donations at all.

"It’s certainly rare for a private foundation to not engage in grant-making, and not engage in direct charitable activity, either," Mittendorf said.

DeBarbieri said the foundation plans to focus on future programming that will have a larger reach than its past efforts. According to the WROAF's tax filing for the 2018 fiscal year, the majority of its most recent donations have been directed to schools. The median gift or grant distributed that year was $3,600. 

Well, I just learned this was a thing:

10 hours ago, paco said:

Well, I just learned this was a thing:

I kind of enjoyed that lol

Hearing on the news today (sorry, no link, but I could dig one up...) that in the name change they will no longer have any native american imagery. 

This means you can go ahead and cross off 'warriors'.

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Hearing on the news today (sorry, no link, but I could dig one up...) that in the name change they will no longer have any native american imagery. 

This means you can go ahead and cross off 'warriors'.

They can go the golden state warriors route and just have a sheety Maryland bridge as a logo lol

Archived