Are the Foreskins still an NFL team?

wtfcares

14 hours ago, paco said:

Well, I just learned this was a thing:

Is he wearing an Eddie mask?

On 7/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, paco said:

I think you underestimate the % of the fanbase who would be very turned off if they changed the name.  Remember, they haven't won squat for over a generation.  Unless you are over 40, you don't remember their last SuperBowl.  *Those* are the fans that care the most and they are clinging to their faded memories.  Many of them that would be the last straw.  You're not getting new merchandise sales from them.  Trust me, they have a buried thread on ES for this topic (you can't see it unless you have an account) you would be surprised at the comments.

The young ones, they know nothing but apathy.  They are all about DC United (Ironically at RFK) and are coming off the high of the Caps and Nats wins.  Tickets are cheap on the secondary market and they still arn't buying them.  I doubt they'll be running to fanatics for the newly branded jersey.

Finally, the brand itself has intrinsic value.  It's going to take a while for a new one to get there and Lil' Danny Boi isn't going to wait for that.  He wants to coast and buy his yachts.  

Don't say I didn't tell you.  Be prepared to see a lot of this.  

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I kind of enjoyed that lol

He makes Will Smith look like ODB :lol:

5 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Is he wearing an Eddie mask?

Maybe?  I thought it was the hulk at first  :lol: 

I'm not buying the Redskins worth plummeting with a name change.  There is simply zero evidence of that happeneing when you look at franchise histories.  If anything they get a short term boost by selling new merchandise.  DC is a city that is mostly Democrat and full of trasnients, the value of the team simply comes from being in DC and having so much big money poltics going on around them.

Redskins announcing tomorrow morning that they are changing their name.  New name not being announced yet as they work out Trademark issues.  

4 hours ago, What The F said:

Redskins announcing tomorrow morning that they are changing their name.  New name not being announced yet as they work out Trademark issues.  

Did the right thing finally

Out of all the serious contenders, Red Wolves seems like the most popular. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

8 hours ago, What The F said:

Not going to lie.  I thought that the "we got a committee and are discussing" approach was just a stall tactic for Danny to let s*** blow over.  

NEVER in all caps and all that.

44 minutes ago, toolg said:

Out of all the serious contenders, Red Wolves seems like the most popular. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I see that too but, I think they should just stay away from the native American theme all together. 

18 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

I'm not buying the Redskins worth plummeting with a name change.  There is simply zero evidence of that happeneing when you look at franchise histories.  If anything they get a short term boost by selling new merchandise.  DC is a city that is mostly Democrat and full of trasnients, the value of the team simply comes from being in DC and having so much big money poltics going on around them.

Was this a reply to our discussion from a week or so ago?

FTR, I wasn't of the opinion that it would plummet.  I said that there is a lot of value with the brand.  And I am of the opinion that there is going to be a lot of resistance to change from the fan base given where they are as a franchise.  (I.E. Old faded memories with the younger generations being completely apathetic).  

The timing is good for this discussion, since this just popped up on their board:

Will you still wear your Redskins gear if the name changes

I only read the first page so far.  Other than one person saying they are all in on the rebrand because of the reboot and one person saying they might wear it in public cuz they live in philly, everyone else is all in on the old gear.  And there are a few posts that really show the resistance

Yes I won't think twice about it.  Won't be buying new name gear either.

A bunch of our older fans will be moving on, hopefully the team does well enough to gain a younger base.

This American Cultural Revolution will eventually end  - just as China's did. Wear your Redskins gear. 

I know, anecdotal.  A small group on a dying format and I only read the first page.  But it does confirm my suspicions a bit given the sheer amount of R-Word fans I know.

Finished the thread.  There are some gems

Yes absolutely will wear my Redskin gear!  Never considered it racist!  And still don't!  

As for new gear! Have to wait and see!  Redtails. Are you serious!  That is racist for sure!   

PROUDLY WITHOUT HESITATION!!!

Wouldn't surprise me if the fans in the stadium all sang the old fight song too, after we score, even if there's no band playing it.

^^^ JFC.  Yeah, lets protest the name change by going even more racist.

I will never wear anything other then gear that says REDSKINS. 

I’m rockin the REDSKINS gear til the day I die!! Name change and all they will always be the REDSKINS!!!! 

Of course I will wear my old stuff.  I'm a black guy so it's okay.

And some confirmation bias:

Imagine the answer is some will switch and some will just become disinterested in the NFL.  I fall into the later category if Redskins are totally killed off (which is why I prefer Braves or Warriors). 

I am still on the fence about remaining a fan but considering I have Redskins hats and my custom jersey of my uncle, I will still wear it to games and when I am out.  Redskins is in my blood and what I identify with, not whatever the other name is going to be. 

And to be fair, there are a few in on the reboot

Hell no. I stopped wearing it out about 2 years ago. I have a couple old T's and a hoodie that I wear around the apartment, and I'll replace those with new merch that I'll be proud to wear outside again. Only piece I'll keep is my framed ST21 jersey (fake but looks good) which has the backplate facing out and no Redskins anywhere on that side.

I’ll absolutely be keeping my ST21 jersey, and will be gleefully buying new merch. This is long overdue. Hail to the past, hail to the future.

Not me.  I stopped in 2013. And now I feel karma is coming our way.  I will buy new gear and wear it proudly.  My Joe Theisman and RGIII jerseys are retired. A new era begns!

This is new life for me as a fan. The redskins have been a joke in my entire lifetime. Time for a rebrand and a recharge to this franchise. 

Finally, Prime FYP opputunity

I was recently waiting in a supermarket line wearing a Redskins cap. I heard a woman behind me whisper to her friend "that's that racist American baseball team, isn't it?" I didn't really feel like getting into a debate with a stranger and actually felt a bit uncomfortable so I acted like I didn't hear her. I'm starting to think that I may only wear my gear indoors.

I was recently waiting in a supermarket line wearing a Redskins cap. I heard a woman behind me whisper to her friend "that's that racist American baseball team, isn't it?" I didn't really feel like getting into a debate with a stranger whether or not the Redskins are a football team

1 hour ago, toolg said:

I'm still seeing a lot of support for Red Tails, too.  This would be in reference to the Tuskeegee Airmen, and more of an homage to the contributions to african americans in our society.  FWIW, I think it's a good tribute, but I just think this name is not quite right.  Sure, DC has a military presence, but other than that there's really nothing to link that fighting unit to DC.  

Anyhow, pretty sure it will either be Red Wolves or Red Tails.  We'll see.  What are they going to do with the fight song?  Change or retire it?

1 hour ago, Boogyman said:

As of right now, it appears no, the Redskins are not an NFL team

Whoever started this thread is like Nostradamus.  Called it months ago!   

They'll become the Washington Warriors. Apparently Snyder was trying to trademark the name for an Arena League expansion before that was killed off. 

Usually I think you go with something of historical significance

why not the DC Plague

Or just call them the native Americans or just the Americans 

On 7/8/2020 at 9:27 PM, paco said:

Well, I just learned this was a thing:

Ok... so apparently this wasn't an embarrassing high school video.  This was something he posted the day after get got married to his wife (who is one of the backup dancers) back in 2013

So...new name guesses???

We've already had D.C. Redskins, so have at it.

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

What are they going to do with the fight song?  Change or retire it?

They will have to rework the entire song. They cannot simply replace Redskins with something else; some of the other lyrics won't work either:  "Hail to the Redskins", "Braves on the warpath".... So I think they just scrap the old song and come up with something brand new.

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

What are they going to do with the fight song?  Change or retire it?

Launch it into the sun.  

2 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

Do they ban fans in Redskins gear from entering the stadium?

probably, its not like they will be missed with the thousands of opposing fans that fill their stadium every game.

It's awesome watching them go to the silent count in their own house :roll: 

2 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

probably, its not like they will be missed with the thousands of opposing fans the fill their stadium every game.

05ff9641ac66cef33d27a7262cc442b7.jpg.10be3c3a5192f32133b5dbb143968aaf.jpg

:roll:

Archived