Are the Foreskins still an NFL team?

wtfcares

4 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Sean Taylor

He does realize he is black and the reason this all started is because of racism lol. What a bunch of clowns that fan base is

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was gonna say the same plus an arrowhead is just a carved stone for hunting and what not. I see nothing wrong with theirs at all. Then again someone might find something these days

true. id hope people would see that some of these names and monikers are in tribute.

I doubt the Chiefs and Braves would  have to change their name. That seems obvious to me, though.

Kinda like calling your supervisor a respected title such as  "Manager”, "Boss”, or " Director” instead of just peckerhead.

6 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

unless the ultra PC turds take the reigns, no. names like theirs, the braves, Seminoles, etc aren't obvious slurs.

Slurs wasn't the only "offense." They have long been arguing that use of Native American mascots is also derogatory and has been called harmful. This won't end with Washington and Cleveland. 

Here is a great "Its not all bad you guys, things are looking up thread"... which falls flat :lol:

Heels Dug In Forever: Die Hard Fans and Snyder

Last week I made my first post on ES in about six months. That’s my defense mechanisms these days. I am fully able to basically shut the Redskins out during the off season and only pour deep energy into it from pre-season to season’s end. 

From the day Rivera’s first presser ended until last week, I rarely checked the boards and pay almost no attention to FA, draft, general news. I stay connected enough to know what’s going on, but it’s minimal. I watch other sports, focus on my other teams and other interests. And this year in particular I easily would have kept my "ignore” feature on until almost game 1 was it not for the name change and this latest story. That brought me in last week. 

In that post I questioned whether or not the name change could be the "move on” moment for me. It bugged me more than I thought it would. Probably because of HOW it’s going down more so than the fact that it IS going down. But that’s really a whole other conversation/debate. It stung me because of my personal history and memories of the team. It was a little more painful than I imagined it was going to be. And that led me to openly wonder if perhaps it could push me out. But deep down, not sure I was really being honest with myself. 

In the massive and highly entertaining thread from yesterday/today I posted a quote from a favorite movie of mine: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: 

"I-I could tolerate any, any insurance seminar, for days. I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can ya stand it?" And I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith.”

If you’ve seen the movie, you get it. And today I realized that this is where I am with this team and where I will always be. 

I am indestructible. There is literally no "move on” moment for me short of disbanding the franchise. I will survive. I can handle anything. I will outlast everyone. Even the owner. I was here before he was. When he’s gone I’ll either still be here or I’ll be six feet under. I wear it as a badge of honor now. I’ve done this my whole life. It’s brought me immense pleasure. Yes, even the miserable years have provided a level of entertainment/enjoyment that might border a bit on the demented side, but it remains still. 

I cast no judgement on other fans. If people bail altogether, I get it. If they scale back, I get it. In some ways I’ve done that myself. 

But I actually don’t have to harken back to 1991 to find WHY I still root for this team. Heck, I can just go back to last year. 

Yes, last year. 

The 2019 season is absolutely a bottom three season for me as a fan in terms of my enjoyment level. It sucked. 

But there was a moment. Week one at Philly, we lead 10-0. Keenum drops back and McLaurin is streaking wide open. Perfect pass, easy 75 yard TD. Well, I SHOT off my chair on the deck when I saw how open he was and I jumped and yelled when he crossed the goal line. It’s absolutely instinctive. In that moment did I suddenly think we were winning the Super Bowl? Uh, no. I wasn’t even convinced we’d win the game (smart move). But that sort of unplanned response is all I need. I woke up that morning; put my jersey on, set up food and drink and got the two TVs set up on the deck. My excitement level for the season was lower than normal for sure, but it was absolutely higher than if it was just a normal Sunday. The season itself quickly devolved into misery. But I mean it was just the year before that that the Redskins ruined my Thanksgiving once again. And you know what ruining Thanksgiving means? It means I still care. 

I guess I’m able to separate Snyder from my personal fandom. I think largely due to the fact that I really was doing this long before he arrived. I feel a stubborn ownership myself and have no intention of letting him or anyone else ruin the Redskins for me. 

So, I guess he can’t ruin the "Redskins” for anyone anymore. But I think it’s clear I’m not going anywhere regardless. 

I was hopeful like everyone else. That maybe this "bombshell” would be our Snyder-escape. Doesn’t look like that will be the case. The allegations are slimy and the dudes involved are super creeps and all deserve to be fired and out of the league (and probably out of a workplace setting) for good. But there isn’t any assault there. Nothing even criminal per se. It’s almost identical to the Dallas Mavs situation although probably not quite as bad because the execs in our case weren’t as high up as in Dallas and the allegations weren’t quite as gross/blatant. Even the accusers made it clear in our case Snyder was not involved and no one even implicated him in a cover up or intimidation or anything like that. So he’s guilty of not setting the culture properly and lacking oversight. Things we’ve known for 20 years. This is probably the most obviously embarrassing moment for him and the organization over that span, but it’s not a removable offense based on what is being alleged. 

So for about 24 hours I had the same hope many of you did. Maybe we’d all get our wish. But alas, this ain’t Disney and wishes don’t always come true. So for me, I soldier on. I continue to search for slivers of hope. 

My current silver is this:

From 2004-2007 the Redskins took a break from being a national joke. On the field things were decent to good and off the field there were no humiliations. No media leaks. No terrible stories. No accusations. No media rumors of chaos behind the scenes. Pretty boring, calm. Those years felt like a normal NFL team. It was the one period under Snyder where we had a proven leader and good man in charge with NO ONE between him and Snyder. That last part is the key. It was the one time in the Snyder era there wasn’t some sort of right hand man acting as an intermediary between the owner and the hands on leader. 

The situation now is much like 2004-2007. It is apparent that Snyder somehow has good relationships with people when he enters into that relationship with a personal lever of reverence or respect for that person. Gibbs and Rivera seem to fit that bill. Snyder seems to have horrible relationships with pretty much everyone else. 

But I firmly believe this is Rivera’s ship right now. And it REALLY will be now. I promise you Dan will be hiding in his yacht as much as possible. He hates facing the music/media and he knows he can’t run from this. If he shows his face he’s going to have to answer. Fingers will point. I think he was turning the keys over to Rivera anyway, but now he basically has no choice. Snyder is still there and as long as that’s the case it probably ultimately means bad things for us. But I do think the further he pushed into his hole, the better chance we have to succeed— or at least not be humiliating. 

I’m not sure if Rivera has the chops to change the culture AND turn around the on field product as well. That’s a monumental task. But I do believe he is legitimately a man of good character and integrity and he will clean up the behind the scenes BS. There is no Bruce or Vinny to undermine him. If Snyder has remaining lackeys in the organization I’m not sure who they would be. Now, will Rivera have the patience, tolerance, and energy to get through this mess, the virus mess, the social justice stuff, rebuilding a roster, etc?? Well, I certainly have my doubts about that. But I think he’s as good as anyone to try. 

Personally, I’m fine if the 2020 season evaporates. I’m pretty worn out by it all and a full year off from this football team wouldn’t bother me a bit. May very well be just what the doctor ordered for fans and the organization itself. Timing certainly seems good for that. So no, I am not itching with anticipation for week one this year. 

But... someday I will be. Maybe in September 2020 or maybe in September 2021. I’ll be there. I hibernate, but I never leave. They can’t smoke me out. If this is a game of chicken with Snyder, he will have to swerve first. He isn’t "duping” or tricking me. I know what this deal is. I know what I’m getting into. But I’ve dug my heels in. I still find the good in it. I still find the fun in it. I have to look harder now and some years it doesn’t last very long, but it remains. As do I. 

I would say Snyder is lucky to have me. But maybe that’s why this doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers some. I do not view this as HIS team. He doesn’t have ME. This is MY team. I promise you I know more about this organization than he does. I promise you I can rattle off specifics better than he can. He probably doesn’t even remember Romeo Bandison or why he SHOULD remember him. He can’t have that. I won’t give it to him. 

I’m 42 years old. I’ve been doing this as long as I can remember. Even in the lowest times being a fan of this team brings me some level of expression/passion/interest/enjoyment that is hard to explain. So let’s see what you got next Dan. If he ever accidentally gets it right, the rewards will be mine

21 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Slurs wasn't the only "offense." They have long been arguing that use of Native American mascots is also derogatory and has been called harmful. This won't end with Washington and Cleveland. 

Well the chiefs mascot is a dog and the braves mascot is a baseball. So I think they are good. The Seminoles mascot is a depiction of an actual seminole and is approved by actual native Americans. 

So what ones are harmful and being argued? 

33 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well the chiefs mascot is a dog and the braves mascot is a baseball. So I think they are good. The Seminoles mascot is a depiction of an actual seminole and is approved by actual native Americans. 

So what ones are harmful and being argued? 

When they talk about mascots, they aren't really talking about a guy in a costume. They are talking about "eagles, bears, lions, etc..." All schools, organizations, or sports teams with names representing native American (people or culture)  should start working on their re-naming plan right away. If you take time to read what native American representatives' arguments against the names are, they (the arguments) clearly don't allow for a "less offensive" caricature of native American past to be exploited in the future. Do the research. They are all on the chopping block. 

23 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Still havent chosen a new name?  Wow.  Wtf are they doing?

Hearing either the RedWolves, RedTails or Warriors.  I'm betting on RedWolves.

Meh to Warriors, too vague and difficult to represent visually. I'm imagining some lame "W" logo coming out of that.

Red Tails is too specific in my opinion. Those pilots absolutely do deserve honor and respect but I'd hope for something more inclusive of all US servicemen and women.

Red Wolves is alright. It's kind of like Seahawks, adjective + animal plus Red Wolves were the wolves of the southeast. The nearest ones now live in North Carolina but hey it's not like there's Bengal Tigers native to Cincinnati. by the way, there actually are eagles in Philadelphia https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/homepage/20090110_A_third_eagles_nest_in_Phila_.html

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Hearing either the RedWolves, RedTails or Warriors.  I'm betting on RedWolves.

They should just forget the native American theme all together. 

15 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

Meh to Warriors, too vague and difficult to represent visually. I'm imagining some lame "W" logo coming out of that.

Red Tails is too specific in my opinion. Those pilots absolutely do deserve honor and respect but I'd hope for something more inclusive of all US servicemen and women.

Red Wolves is alright. It's kind of like Seahawks, adjective + animal plus Red Wolves were the wolves of the southeast. The nearest ones now live in North Carolina but hey it's not like there's Bengal Tigers native to Cincinnati. by the way, there actually are eagles in Philadelphia https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/homepage/20090110_A_third_eagles_nest_in_Phila_.html

Warriors is vanilla as F, I thought Snyder hated vanilla.  Red Wolves sounds like one of those names that won't age well, like Raptors or Timberwolves.  It's got a Div II/minor league sound to it.  Red Tails just sticks to your tongue like peanut butter.  Whatever they do, don't leave it to online voting, that's how you end up with generic corny names like Jaguars and Panthers.  Somebody needs to get on the soap box and make a gutsy decision.  I'm still in on Pigskins, 150-1, but I also like Hogs.

18 hours ago, Fresh_Prince said:

If using Indians as a mascot was racist, then using black men would be too, no?

6 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Warriors is vanilla as F, I thought Snyder hated vanilla.  Red Wolves sounds like one of those names that won't age well, like Raptors or Timberwolves.  It's got a Div II/minor league sound to it.  Red Tails just sticks to your tongue like peanut butter.  Whatever they do, don't leave it to online voting, that's how you end up with generic corny names like Jaguars and Panthers.  Somebody needs to get on the soap box and make a gutsy decision.  I'm still in on Pigskins, 150-1, but I also like Hogs.

This comment won't get the recognition it deserves. 

3 hours ago, paco said:

This comment won't get the recognition it deserves. 

It was just for you.

20 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Warriors is vanilla as F, I thought Snyder hated vanilla.  Red Wolves sounds like one of those names that won't age well, like Raptors or Timberwolves.  It's got a Div II/minor league sound to it.  Red Tails just sticks to your tongue like peanut butter.

I agree, they all kind of suck. 

Redwolves sucks.  I dislike team names that have nothing to do with the area that they are from.  Dallas is in Texas, so Cowboys is pretty good.  New York has skyscrapers so Giants makes sense, Philadelphia is the birthplace of America so Eagles are appropriate.  Redwolves?  Just a lame weird generic name you picked because it sounded like it could go with the fight song.  I've also seen "Howl to the Redwolves" so you keep the HTTR thing.  Let it go.  That name sucks.

Redtails is supposed to be in honor of the Tuskeegee airmen.  It's a good thought, but C'mon, redtails?  Kind of like their tails getting kicked all the time because they are a bad football team?  No.  This also has nothing to do with DC unless you are going with a military theme.

Warriors is vanilla.  It's kind of the best here, though.  They could do a military theme and have that be somewhat related to DC?  I don't know.  

I have no idea what they will be changing it to, but I bet it will suck regardless of what it is. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

The Washington Rtards still works. 

That's offensive to politicians.  

48 minutes ago, paco said:

That's offensive to politicians.  

They wouldn’t understand. We’re good there. 

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

They wouldn’t understand. We’re good there. 

Yeah, plus it's too hard to fit the Washington 'The best, really.  Everybody agrees.  All the other teams are total disasters.' onto a helmet.

Archived