The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

18 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Obviously Strong is the secret weapon! The Eagles are stashing him for the regular season where they will unveil him as their starting quarterback and trade away Hurts just like they traded away Bradford for their last starting Carson! Just ask DUM! He’ll tell ya! 😂

Told you he was a secret weapon! Lol. Never understood the hype for the guy, he played good in college who cares. Doesn't mean sheet in the NFL. 

As for down under I'm staying out of that one, I like mike and we get along as I do with you too. That debate has gotten to ridiculous levels and I don't like either Carson or hurts so ha! 🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Told you he was a secret weapon! Lol. Never understood the hype for the guy, he played good in college who cares. Doesn't mean sheet in the NFL. 

As for down under I'm staying out of that one, I like mike and we get along as I do with you too. That debate has gotten to ridiculous levels and I don't like either Carson or hurts so ha! 🤣

The love for the new Carson is directly related to the hate for the Hurts. You know the guy who replaced the old Carson. He’s "got a big arm” so obviously that means elite in the NFL. Remember Rstarter and the arm talent theory. 

14 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The love for the new Carson is directly related to the hate for the Hurts. You know the guy who replaced the old Carson. He’s "got a big arm” so obviously that means elite in the NFL. Remember Rstarter and the arm talent theory. 

Hurts passes looked pretty crisp against the jets and he was setting his feet to where he was throwing so those are good signs towards him helping himself make passes with more zip and accuracy.

Like I've said before though I want to see that when the real games start. We have seen with a lot of QBs with mechanical issues resort back to bad habits when they are getting knocked around by good defenses. I don't hate hurts but, I also don't think he is the answer as of today. I was back and forth with him all of last year and then the playoffs happened and that's when I made my mind up he may not make it. Hopefully he grows from that experience. 

It had to be embarrassing for Hurts to have on tape players and coaches on the opposing team saying he can't read the defense and then destroy him. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Funny news for the people laughing is Hurts is the QB. He can run. End of QB traits. He sucks despite squirters wishing upon a star.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

And? Some of us hate him as a QB for good reason. 

It's not directly related to any hate towards Hurts. Some of us want a pocket passer that has the arm to make any throw

I have no hate towards Hurts. I want him to succeed but I don't think he will. I think this experiment is wasting a year of Smith and Brown

Gotta say, I was never the biggest Strong fan before the draft, but even I didn’t expect this level of disappointment.

Not to mention they paid him a very high guarantee to sign for a UDFA as well. Sheesh.

53 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It's not directly related to any hate towards Hurts. Some of us want a pocket passer that has the arm to make any throw

I have no hate towards Hurts. I want him to succeed but I don't think he will. I think this experiment is wasting a year of Smith and Brown

I mostly agree, but I don't really see that there were better long term options available in the off season.  This was a pretty terrible draft for QBs.

8 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

How and why?

1) You can see his progression from season to season.

2) He's one of the top young QBs in the NFL and someone that sets the bar for other young, developing QBs. 

3) He's from this era so people can't scream, "Can't compare! Different Era!"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

2) He's one of the top young QBs in the NFL and someone that sets the bar for other young, developing QBs. 

When is he going to grow 5 inches and get an arm transplant so we can compare them.

22 minutes ago, downundermike said:

When is he going to grow 5 inches and get an arm transplant so we can compare them.

You just compared their height and arms! The nerve!!!

gomer-gomerpile.gif

55 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Their only similar trait is their mobility is equal....

I get he wasn't great his first two years and I'm proud of you admitting that Jalen wasn't good his first two either in this comparison, but that at this moment is about as far as it can go. Unless Jalen's new mechanics unlocked a 12/10 arm and a random huge upgrade in accuracy.....

5 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Their only similar trait is their mobility is equal....

I get he wasn't great his first two years and I'm proud of you admitting that Jalen wasn't good his first two either in this comparison, but that at this moment is about as far as it can go. Unless Jalen's new mechanics unlocked a 12/10 arm and a random huge upgrade in accuracy.....

Jalen's arm has not been his issue. He has enough arm despite what you believe. He needs to get the ball out quicker, trust his receivers and trust what he sees. Fortunately, those traits routinely get better with experience. For reference, see Josh Allen. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Jalen's arm has not been his issue. He has enough arm despite what you believe. He needs to get the ball out quicker, trust his receivers and trust what he sees. Fortunately, those traits routinely get better with experience. For reference, see Josh Allen. 

Actually his arm has been an issue for his game play...he doesn't have the arm to make the throws on the run he tries.  Sure he has the requisite functional arm strength from a perfect platform to make most throws, but that's not how his brain works.

1 minute ago, Wentz_Era said:

Actually his arm has been an issue for his game play...he doesn't have the arm to make the throws on the run he tries.  Sure he has the requisite functional arm strength from a perfect platform to make most throws, but that's not how his brain works.

That might be why Sirianni had him working in California on his footwork in the offseason. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

That might be why Sirianni had him working in California on his footwork in the offseason. 

Footwork doesn't fix his play style if he's gonna bail/roll/improvise every other play.

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Josh Allen can throw an out 40-50 yards deep the same way Jalen throws his 10. You may not NEED that, but it opens up the offense in a way Jalen's arm strength does not. Does not matter his footwork, he will still be only 6"1 and only comfortably throw 40 yards max without needing a lot of extra effort. You can keep saying it's not a problem..but you should be able to admit it isn't a strength. 

If accuracy isn't a strength, and arm strength isn't a strength, and mechanics isn't a strength, vision isn't a strength, and anticipation isn't a strength .... Then what do we have....patience by the fan base 

Ps...you did admit Jalen wasn't good his first two years like Josh Allen. 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

No amount of work he does will ever allow him to do this

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Hurts passes looked pretty crisp against the jets and he was setting his feet to where he was throwing so those are good signs towards him helping himself make passes with more zip and accuracy.

Like I've said before though I want to see that when the real games start. We have seen with a lot of QBs with mechanical issues resort back to bad habits when they are getting knocked around by good defenses. I don't hate hurts but, I also don't think he is the answer as of today. I was back and forth with him all of last year and then the playoffs happened and that's when I made my mind up he may not make it. Hopefully he grows from that experience. 

It had to be embarrassing for Hurts to have on tape players and coaches on the opposing team saying he can't read the defense and then destroy him. 

It’s not said, but many young quarterbacks go through the same thing. Was Zach Wilson reading the defense correctly when he threw the ball right to Katie Wright? Don’t think so. Many young quarterbacks have difficulty reading defenses. Those who can’t run make bad throws or get sacked. Some get better and some never develop and are out the league. Jalen’s legs are a blessing and a curse for him because he can make a potential bad play and turn it into a good one, but if he relies too much on his legs it could hinder his development in reading those defenses. He’s going to have to take his lumps and just try and stand in the pocket where he’s probably more likely to be hit more when he sits in the pocket. He’s more likely to make negative plays sitting in the pocket while learning. Are the fans and front office ready to let him develop this way? Probably not so he’s still more likely than not to use his legs. On top of this the Eagles are running a system where it’s encouraged for him to actually run with the ball. This isn’t like Andy Reid drafting McNabb who was an option quarterback and putting him into a system where he had to learn how to throw. If the Eagles wanted a drop back and throw quarterback then they never should have drafted him. With that being the case let’s be honest here too. The Eagles have done a poor job of drafting drop back traditional quarterbacks. The best one in at least 50 years is probably Nick Foles and he’s basically a career backup. 

19 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Funny news for the people laughing is Hurts is the QB. He can run. End of QB traits. He sucks despite squirters wishing upon a star.

And? Some of us hate him as a QB for good reason. 

Yeah don’t worry Carson Strong will fix everything with that arm talent and throws ten yards into the bleachers. 🫣

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If the Eagles wanted a drop back and throw quarterback then they never should have drafted him. 

In fairness Hurts was drafted as a gadget player and an insurance policy to Wentz. There was high hopes going into the 2020 season for that team and well we know how that turned out.

I highly doubt they drafted hurts expecting him to be the long term franchise QB, considering they just made the playoffs and handed that huge contract over to Wentz in 2019. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

In fairness Hurts was drafted as a gadget player and an insurance policy to Wentz. There was high hopes going into the 2020 season for that team and well we know how that turned out.

I highly doubt they drafted hurts expecting him to be the long term franchise QB, considering they just made the playoffs and handed that huge contract over to Wentz in 2019. 

Yeah I’m not so sure about that. No team drafts a gadget player in the 2nd round of the draft and the truth is Hurts wasn’t good at anything other then running and throwing. No I think the team that prides itself on being a "quarterback factory” thought they could groom and develop Hurts into being the next guy. They also knew that with Wentz being their quarterback they needed assurances that they had an affordable backup, because frankly Wentz kept getting hurt. The true problem was Wentz flaked out too soon and wanted out thus forcing the move to Hurts on them far sooner than they wanted it to happen. I don’t think the Eagles planned to keep Wentz unless he pulled a Rodgers like resurgence, but that clearly didn’t happen. I also don’t think they realized how much drafting Hurts would throw off Wentz too, and something that everyone around here keeps taking for granted and that is the leadership attributes of Hurts. He clearly outclasses Wentz in that department and it showed very early. We as fans have put it in our minds that the Eagles never really wanted Hurts, but is that really the case? Doug Peterson wasn’t jumping for joy because he got a gadget player in the second round. A gadget player didn’t make the Eagles one player away from the Super Bowl. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I’m not so sure about that. No team drafts a gadget player in the 2nd round of the draft and the truth is Hurts wasn’t good at anything other then running and throwing. No I think the team that prides itself on being a "quarterback factory” thought they could groom and develop Hurts into being the next guy. They also knew that with Wentz being their quarterback they needed assurances that they had an affordable backup, because frankly Wentz kept getting hurt. The true problem was Wentz flaked out too soon and wanted out thus forcing the move to Hurts on them far sooner than they wanted it to happen. I don’t think the Eagles planned to keep Wentz unless he pulled a Rodgers like resurgence, but that clearly didn’t happen. I also don’t think they realized how much drafting Hurts would throw off Wentz too, and something that everyone around here keeps taking for granted and that is the leadership attributes of Hurts. He clearly outclasses Wentz in that department and it showed very early. We as fans have put it in our minds that the Eagles never really wanted Hurts, but is that really the case? Doug Peterson wasn’t jumping for joy because he got a gadget player in the second round. A gadget player didn’t make the Eagles one player away from the Super Bowl. 

Meh whatever, then I guess the eagles are just flat out stupid then . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh whatever, then I guess the eagles are just flat out stupid then . 

More like arrogant. They view themselves as the "Gold Standard.” They generally believe they’re better than most. Statistically they’re not wrong though. They have had far more winning seasons under Lurie than most organizations in that span.

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Agreed. I think Hurts was drafted as insurance jic Wentz got hurt. I don't think they ever really expected him to become a permanent starter. I'm sure Howie probably planned to use him as trade bait at some point as well.  

• Like 1