The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

I dont buy it either. It could be because we were down three receivers in Smith, Ward & Hightower. Might have wanted to give Strong a chance with receivers not named lance lenoir, britain covey & devon allen. I refuse to believe he's worse than Sinnett. Reports from camp havent been good but i'd like to see for myself. Reports were that Sinnett was lighting it up in camp and performing better than Minshew but then he looked like 💩 in the game. 

Unless they plan to cut him and don't want other teams to have tape on him so they can sneak him onto the PS?

20 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Unless they plan to cut him and don't want other teams have tape on him so they can sneak him onto the PS?

Possibly but i doubt it. I'd think they would want to see him in live action before they make a decision. I wouldnt risk cutting him. I think we're much more likely to be able to sneak Sinnett on the PS considering this is his 3rd NFL team in 3 years. 

• Like 1

Possibly but i doubt it. I'd think they would want to see him in live action before they make a decision. I wouldnt risk cutting him. I think we're much more likely to be able to sneak Sinnett on the PS considering this is his 3rd NFL team in 3 years. 

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense to me unless he is absolutely horrible.

There is always a possibility with every player that they just can't figure out the NFL. Take Sam Bradford, great arm, tons of talent, went no where. The mental part of this game is just as important and we don't get a good enough view of most people to know if they are good mentally. He's a UDFA and he's getting time and reps of a UDFA. He needs to make the most of them and the time he gets in the next couple games. It may be the only chance he gets at the NFL level. Surely, others have gotten less.

I'd suggest they played Sinnett so much last week to see if his practice success translated to the field to the point that they could start considering a Minshew trade.  That didn't happen and has now thrown a wrench in one idea.  Strong was never playing for more than third on this team, thus no real reason to play him in this evaluation game.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd suggest they played Sinnett so much last week to see if his practice success translated to the field to the point that they could start considering a Minshew trade.  That didn't happen and has now thrown a wrench in one idea.  Strong was never playing for more than third on this team, thus no real reason to play him in this evaluation game.  

Yeah looks like we can’t afford to move Minshew now.

I suspect we won’t see much of Minshew now, so both Sinnett and Strong should play plenty.

There is clearly something not right with Strong that the scouts picked up on but the experts missed. He was meant to go rounds 2 and 3 but instead went undrafted.

IR or practice squad seems the most likely for now.

6 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense to me unless he is absolutely horrible.

And he very well may be but i think most of us would like to see for ourselves. Obviously i've been high on Strong for awhile so it's disappointing to read that he's struggling, but i want to see him actually play before i conclude that he isnt cut out for the NFL. Hopefully he gets a full half this week. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

And he very well may be but i think most of us would like to see for ourselves. Obviously i've been high on Strong for awhile so it's disappointing to read that he's struggling, but i want to see him actually play before i conclude that he isnt cut out for the NFL. Hopefully he gets a full half this week. 

I hear you. I was one of the first last fall to say I hoped they drafted him. 

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah looks like we can’t afford to move Minshew now.

I suspect we won’t see much of Minshew now, so both Sinnett and Strong should play plenty.

There is clearly something not right with Strong that the scouts picked up on but the experts missed. He was meant to go rounds 2 and 3 but instead went undrafted.

IR or practice squad seems the most likely for now.

IMO, IR is most likely.  I doubt they expose him to the PS this year.  We will see.  I have a hard time believing that a kid with the measureables and that much talent isn't good enough. Also, I don't think QB3 is out of the question after watching Sinnett flounder last week.  They had no reason to play him. 

• Like 3

Not really concerned (nor am I surprised) at a young QB struggling.  Most do when they first enter the NFL unless you are some super elite prospect like Luck or Manning etc. (and even some of those guys struggle initially before finding their footing).  From what I understand, Strong supposedly has the talent but a concerning injury history.  Considering our QB situation (Hurts still needing to show considerable improvement in his passing game, Minshew in the final year of his contract), I think he'd be worth hanging on to develop and continue to evaluate.  Going on IR doesn't help since he then would be unable to participate in practices.  I think he either makes it to final cuts and then they cross their fingers hoping he goes unclaimed so they can add him to the PS or they cut Sinnett and roll with Strong as QB3.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Not really concerned (nor am I surprised) at a young QB struggling.  Most do when they first enter the NFL unless you are some super elite prospect like Luck or Manning etc. (and even some of those guys struggle initially before finding their footing). 

You're right. Im less concerned than i am disappointed. He seemed NFL ready to me just from watching all the things he did pre snap, the throws he put on tape, his mechanics and just the sheer passing volume he had at Nevada. I just figured he'd look alot better in camp than what's been reported.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Going on IR doesn't help since he then would be unable to participate in practices. 

Which is why i dont understand why people keep suggesting this. He either makes the roster as QB3 or is cut and they cross their fingers that he goes unclaimed. It was reported that a dozen teams were interested in signing him after the draft so i doubt he'd last long on our practice squad. 

18 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

You're right. Im less concerned than i am disappointed. He seemed NFL ready to me just from watching all the things he did pre snap, the throws he put on tape, his mechanics and just the sheer passing volume he had at Nevada. I just figured he'd look alot better in camp than what's being reported.

New offensive system to learn, different coaching probably asking him to make changes, whole new group of receivers to get used to, working on timing and building chemistry, etc.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vileborg said:

There is always a possibility with every player that they just can't figure out the NFL. Take Sam Bradford, great arm, tons of talent, went no where. The mental part of this game is just as important and we don't get a good enough view of most people to know if they are good mentally. He's a UDFA and he's getting time and reps of a UDFA. He needs to make the most of them and the time he gets in the next couple games. It may be the only chance he gets at the NFL level. Surely, others have gotten less.

I don't think Bradford is a good example. He was on such a bad Rams team, he just checked out for the rest of his career, just playing the industry game to get contracts. You can see his play be managed to keep his stats up. He was actually very smart. I think he just lost faith.

17 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

I don't think Bradford is a good example. He was on such a bad Rams team, he just checked out for the rest of his career, just playing the industry game to get contracts. You can see his play be managed to keep his stats up. He was actually very smart. I think he just lost faith.

He sucked with the Eagles too.  For a guy that was supposedly so accurate, he had a lot of INTs. Also had 10 fumbles on the year.  I agree that he was thrown into a crappy situation with the Rams, but people don't overlook that fact for why Foles and Goff failed there too.

22 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

You're right. Im less concerned than i am disappointed. He seemed NFL ready to me just from watching all the things he did pre snap, the throws he put on tape, his mechanics and just the sheer passing volume he had at Nevada. I just figured he'd look alot better in camp than what's been reported.

Which is why i dont understand why people keep suggesting this. He either makes the roster as QB3 or is cut and they cross their fingers that he goes unclaimed. It was reported that a dozen teams were interested in signing him after the draft so i doubt he'd last long on our practice squad. 

Thing about signing somebody off a practice squad is that I believe they have to be placed on the 53, they can't go from one practice squad to another. I don't know that there's enough NFL footage out on Strong  (and what there is isn't very good) for a team to sign him to their 53 unless that team is REALLY hurting for QB talent.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Thing about signing somebody off a practice squad is that I believe they have to be placed on the 53, they can't go from one practice squad to another. I don't know that there's enough NFL footage out on Strong  (and what there is isn't very good) for a team to sign him to their 53 unless that team is REALLY hurting for QB talent.

Guys like that can usually latch on teams based off draft status but, he doesn't even have that to fall back on. Just a bunch of practices that he wasn't even good in. I don't get the hype for him at all. I don't care what he did in college most of those guys are product of the system and or the  competition. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Guys like that can usually latch on teams based off draft status but, he doesn't even have that to fall back on. Just a bunch of practices that he wasn't even good in. I don't get the hype for him at all. I don't care what he did in college most of those guys are product of the system and or the  competition. 

His arm talent is extremely rare.   That's not a product of the system or the competition.   Being able to launch the ball the way he did at Nevada is just a product of his genetics.  And watching Hurts struggle to throw the ball deep, struggling to put zip on the ball to fit a tight window, or the unwillingness to even try (throwing the ball away on 4th and goal, for example)... the pendulum swung the other way big time.  Strong is the anti-Hurts in terms of QB style.  He can't run, especially after the knee surgery, but he can sling it like very very few can.  So, he got a following based on the highlights.  

I'm curious what he could do in a preseason game.  It was disappointing that we got such a big dose of Sinnett.  Sinnett is a guy that we know who he is.  He's always going to be a fringe roster QB.  He's already had 2 other NFL TCs, so him looking better in camp shouldn't be surprising.   But, is he the next Kurt Warner?   Highly doubtful that another Kurt Warner story takes place in the NFL for the next 5 decades.  Strong might be worse.  Strong might be the worst QB we've ever brought in to camp (though, that's hard to believe when you remember back to some of the others we've had in the history of the franchise... personally, I have a hard time believing that he's actually worse than some of the QBs we actually trotted out to start regular season games in the past).   But.. he might just be the worst ever.  I'd just like to be able to see that for myself, not have to rely on the "reports" from the likes of ESP, etc.   It's preseason.  And we likely have seen the last of Hurts out there, Sirianni doesn't like to actually give him too many reps.  So, reps are available to be had at the QB position.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

His arm talent is extremely rare.   That's not a product of the system or the competition.   Being able to launch the ball the way he did at Nevada is just a product of his genetics.  And watching Hurts struggle to throw the ball deep, struggling to put zip on the ball to fit a tight window, or the unwillingness to even try (throwing the ball away on 4th and goal, for example)... the pendulum swung the other way big time.  Strong is the anti-Hurts in terms of QB style.  He can't run, especially after the knee surgery, but he can sling it like very very few can.  So, he got a following based on the highlights.  

I'm curious what he could do in a preseason game.  It was disappointing that we got such a big dose of Sinnett.  Sinnett is a guy that we know who he is.  He's always going to be a fringe roster QB.  He's already had 2 other NFL TCs, so him looking better in camp shouldn't be surprising.   But, is he the next Kurt Warner?   Highly doubtful that another Kurt Warner story takes place in the NFL for the next 5 decades.  Strong might be worse.  Strong might be the worst QB we've ever brought in to camp (though, that's hard to believe when you remember back to some of the others we've had in the history of the franchise... personally, I have a hard time believing that he's actually worse than some of the QBs we actually trotted out to start regular season games in the past).   But.. he might just be the worst ever.  I'd just like to be able to see that for myself, not have to rely on the "reports" from the likes of ESP, etc.   It's preseason.  And we likely have seen the last of Hurts out there, Sirianni doesn't like to actually give him too many reps.  So, reps are available to be had at the QB position.

Thank you for the info, very good post. I see your points and hopefully I'll get to see it for myself as well. Big arms are great I just hope if he does get to play he knows how to use it. We have seen so many cannon arm QBs flop big time. I look forward to seeing him play. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Thank you for the info, very good post. I see your points and hopefully I'll get to see it for myself as well. Big arms are great I just hope if he does get to play he knows how to use it. We have seen so many cannon arm QBs flop big time. I look forward to seeing him play. 

The he can't get the playbook thing is confusing after Sirianni said he was able to call plays during the rookie camp and didn't have to rely on the sideline. There will be growth with a rookie QB, but how do you go from "knowing where to put the football" to being so lost in the woods he can't get a snap?

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

The he can't get the playbook thing is confusing after Sirianni said he was able to call plays during the rookie camp and didn't have to rely on the sideline. There will be growth with a rookie QB, but how do you go from "knowing where to put the football" to being so lost in the woods he can't get a snap?

Well, the question is... are the people posting that he is lost reliable?  Not having the practices open to the public anymore leaves us all scratching our heads.

• Like 1

Just now, Diehardfan said:

That is odd, maybe they put to much on him thinking he could handle it and it was too much? 

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Well, the question is... are the people posting that he is lost reliable?  Not having the practices open to the public anymore leaves us all scratching our heads.

Nick is just a damn hype man. No more, no less

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Thank you. I couldnt have said it any better.

Being able to launch the ball the way he did at Nevada is just a product of his genetics

Rarely have i seen a college QB drop 60 yard bombs right in the bucket so effortlessly. He has the "arm arrogance" trait where he believes he can make any throw on the field and has many instances where you go "no no no, holy 💩 how did he get that in there". He made throws in college that arent even on Hurts radar because Jalen has been in that body his whole life and he knows what it can and cannot do. For example, i challenge anyone to find me a cover 2 holeshot from the far hash on Hurts tape at Bama, OU or with the Eagles. You wont because attempting these type of throws arent even on his mind. He'd rather bail a clean pocket and put himself in harm's way than make a routine out route throw in the preseason.

Strong might be the worst QB we've ever brought in to camp (though, that's hard to believe when you remember back to some of the others we've had in the history of the franchise... personally, I have a hard time believing that he's actually worse than some of the QBs we actually trotted out to start regular season games in the past).   But.. he might just be the worst ever.  I'd just like to be able to see that for myself, not have to rely on the "reports" from the likes of ESP, etc.   It's preseason.  And we likely have seen the last of Hurts out there, Sirianni doesn't like to actually give him too many reps.  So, reps are available to be had at the QB position.

Some reporters are saying he's been awful, while others are saying he's barely had any reps. Maybe he's been awful in the reps he's had but you dont get better by not taking any reps... I still believe Strong is the most gifted passer on the roster and the conspiracy theorists in me thinks they are hiding him, not just from the media but his teammates as well. If they see him effortlessly throwing strikes while Hurts is running in 7on7's, it's going to raise some eyebrows and the front office doesnt want that. 

This is the last positive thing i saw about him. Everything else has been how awful he is, how much he's been outperformed by Sinnett & how he likely wont make the roster. I guess it's not a good idea to be telling everyone that an UDFA has the best arm on the team when you're trying to prop Hurts up as the guy. Reporters were raving about how good Sinnett has been in camp and he was underwhelming in the game. They probably arent a reliable source so i'd like to see Strong play for myself. Hopefully he plays the entire 2nd half this week.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Some reporters are saying he's been awful, while others are saying he's barely had any reps. Maybe he's been awful in the reps he's had but you dont get better by not taking any reps... I still believe Strong is the most gifted passer on the roster and the conspiracy theorists in me thinks they are hiding him, not just from the media but his teammates as well. If they see him effortlessly throwing strikes while Hurts is running in 7on7's, it's going to raise some eyebrows and the front office doesnt want that. 

This is the last positive thing i saw about him. Everything else has been how awful he is, how much he's been outperformed by Sinnett & how he likely wont make the roster. I guess it's not a good idea to be telling everyone that an UDFA has the best arm on the team when you're trying to prop Hurts up as the guy. Reporters were raving about how good Sinnett has been in camp and he was underwhelming in the game. They probably arent a reliable source so i'd like to see Strong play for myself. Hopefully he plays the entire 2nd half this week.

I hope Strong plays this week and lights it up. Would be great if he could at least earn his spot at QB3 if not make Minshew expendable. 

But for me he has already got the Nasty Nate award sewn up. You think the Eagles might be not letting an UDFA throw much because he might show up the clear QB1? When he's been featured in about 3 Stock down reports for his actual throwing in camp? Come on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let’s hope we see him in action in this game, but from all reports and whispers so far, Strong legitimately stinks.

He can’t even beat out Stinnett for camp and pre-season snaps ffs. What a disappointment so far.

• Like 1