The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

17 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You think the Eagles might be not letting an UDFA throw much because he might show up the clear QB1? 

Please point out where i said this. I said if people see him throwing the ball well(what we desire from Hurts), it's going to raise some eyebrows. You know what team you root for right? This city loves the backup and the reporters love to drum up QB controversy drama. The front office doesnt want that type of drama going into the season so yes, it does make sense to me that the eagles might not be letting who i believe to be the most gifted passer on our roster throw much because it's going to cause unwanted drama. I've already stated i've been disappointed by the reports about Strong's performance coming out of camp but forgive me if im a little skeptical about reports when he's barely getting any opportunities to show improvement. All im saying is let us see for ourselves. If he sucks this week ill come on here and be honest about what i saw. 

27 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I hope Strong plays this week and lights it up. Would be great if he could at least earn his spot at QB3 if not make Minshew expendable. 

But for me he has already got the Nasty Nate award sewn up. You think the Eagles might be not letting an UDFA throw much because he might show up the clear QB1? When he's been featured in about 3 Stock down reports for his actual throwing in camp? Come on. 

Stock down reports?

10 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Please point out where i said this. I said if people see him throwing the ball well(what we desire from Hurts), it's going to raise some eyebrows. You know what team you root for right? This city loves the backup and the reporters love to drum up QB controversy drama. The front office doesnt want that type of drama going into the season so yes, it does make sense to me that the eagles might not be letting who i believe to be the most gifted passer on our roster throw much because it's going to cause unwanted drama. I've already stated i've been disappointed by the reports about Strong's performance coming out of camp but forgive me if im a little skeptical about reports when he's barely getting any opportunities to show improvement. All im saying is let us see for ourselves. If he sucks this week ill come on here and be honest about what i saw. 

Come on dude. Listen to yourself. 

Strong was not drafted. All 32 teams ignored him in the draft. There were clearly some real red flags about him. More than just injury history and lack of mobility.

No UDFA has contributed in a meaningful way in his first year after being signed. The reports about him are all negative, including from reporters who would love to drum up some controversy or create a QB competition. The Eagles are not giving him reps because he's not earnt them.

He will hopefully get an opportunity this week and I hope he plays well for the Eagles and for you.

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Stock down reports?

The Stock up/Stock down reports/Winners/Losers report that most of the Philly beat writers do.

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Strong was not drafted. All 32 teams ignored him in the draft. There were clearly some real red flags about him. More than just injury history and lack of mobility.

No UDFA has contributed in a meaningful way in his first year after being signed. The reports about him are all negative, including from reporters who would love to drum up some controversy or create a QB competition. The Eagles are not giving him reps because he's not earnt them.

He will hopefully get an opportunity this week and I hope he plays well for the Eagles and for you.

We shall see. Again, let us see how bad he is for ourselves instead of forcing us to watch Reid Sinnett barely be able to muster 10 yards of offense on his first 4 possessions. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Let’s hope we see him in action in this game, but from all reports and whispers so far, Strong legitimately stinks.

He can’t even beat out Stinnett for camp and pre-season snaps ffs. What a disappointment so far.

Have you ever heard of a QB not getting any reps in camp? Even that guy from DE got reps years ago. Something isn't right because I don't buy that he's such trash he can't get reps. They'd just cut him right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Diehardfan said:

Have you ever heard of a QB not getting any reps in camp? Even that guy from DE got reps. Something isn't right because I don't buy that he's such trash he can't get reps. They'd just cut him right now.

The only other guy that comes to mind is Clayton Thorson, he was so bad they stopped giving him any snaps.

With Strong it's one of three things:

1) He is unbelievably bad.

2) He can't grasp the playbook.

3) Both.

Nothing else makes sense considering his competition for snaps is Reid F'in Sinnett.

35 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Let’s hope we see him in action in this game, but from all reports and whispers so far, Strong legitimately stinks.

He can’t even beat out Stinnett for camp and pre-season snaps ffs. What a disappointment so far.

2 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

We shall see. Again, let us see how bad he is for ourselves instead of forcing us to watch Reid Sinnett barely be able to muster 10 yards of offense on his first 4 possessions. 

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

Have you ever heard of a QB not getting any reps in camp? Even that guy from DE got reps. Something isn't right because I don't buy that he's such trash he can't get reps. They'd just cut him right now.

From what I've read, it seems that he is really struggling with the mental processing part of the game. He's got a cannon for an arm, but it's been said he is struggling with his decision making so much that his short to intermediate accuracy has suffered and they are not playing him because to do so would only damage his confidence and would mean they can't get a proper look at some of the fringe receivers. That's speculation, but it seems that way to me.

So I honestly don't know what's going to happen. Hopefully he's processing it better now so he can play some meaningful snaps this week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

The only other guy that comes to mind is Clayton Thorson, he was so bad they stopped giving him any snaps.

With Strong it's one of three things:

1) He is unbelievably bad.

2) He can't grasp the playbook.

3) Both.

Nothing else makes sense considering his competition for snaps is Reid F'in Sinnett.

How fast did they cut Thorson I don't remember? If it's either of those they'd cut him IMO or give him reps to see if he could improve. It makes zero sense to hold a roster spot for someone they think is horrible and aren't willing to give him chances to improve. If nothing else I'd think they'd have him off on a side field working with someone after practice.

Just now, Diehardfan said:

How fast did they cut Thorson I don't remember? If it's either of those they'd cut him IMO or give him reps to see if he could improve. It makes zero sense to hold a roster spot for someone they think is horrible and aren't willing to give him chances to improve.

Thorson was cut during final cuts on August 31. Team will wait to cut a backup QB in case an injury happens and you need a camp arm that is familiar with the plays.

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

From what I've read, it seems that he is really struggling with the mental processing part of the game. He's got a cannon for an arm, but it's been said he is struggling with his decision making so much that his short to intermediate accuracy has suffered and they are not playing him because to do so would only damage his confidence and would mean they can't get a proper look at some of the fringe receivers. That's speculation, but it seems that way to me.

So I honestly don't know what's going to happen. Hopefully he's processing it better now so he can play some meaningful snaps this week.

I've read similar but i still want to see it for myself. These same reporters were saying stock up for Sinnett and some were even saying he was out performing Minshew. That wasnt the case last friday as he was absolutely horrible on like the first 4 possesions. He kind of got it together as he got more reps but who's to say Strong cant do the same. You're probably right about him. He's probably awful and all 32 teams were justified in passing on him. He probably cant hack it at this level. I just want to see him take a snap and throw a pass in game before i come to that conclusion. 

2 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I've read similar and but i still want to see it for myself. These same reporters were saying stock up for Sinnett and some were even saying he was out performing Minshew. That wasnt the case last friday as he was absolutely horrible on like the first 4 possesions. He kind of got it together as he got more reps but who's to say Strong cant do the same. You're probably right about him. He's probably awful and all 32 teams were justified in passing on him. He probably cant hack it at this level. I just want to see him take a snap and throw a pass in game before i come to that conclusion. 

Don't be too downbeat either. It may just be that he needs a year or two. But if it is the case that he is struggling that much, then I think they either need to IR him or try and stash him on the Practice Squad. I'm not sure we can afford to carry him on the roster all year if he can't go yet.

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Don't be too downbeat either. It may just be that he needs a year or two. But if it is the case that he is struggling that much, then I think they either need to IR him or try and stash him on the Practice Squad. I'm not sure we can afford to carry him on the roster all year if he can't go yet.

How does IR'ing him help anyone if he isnt allowed to practice? If he's truly terrible, just cut him. Not like it'll come back to haunt us. I just refuse to believe he went from impressing Sirianni with his "preparation", "knowing where to go with the football" & his "big arm" at rookie camp to being a completely confused bum who cant even get any reps and spends most of his time "observing" as Chris Franklin put it. Hopefully we get a better idea on sunday. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

If he can’t beat out Sinnett then he’s likely destined for the PS unless the Eagles view him like Mialata as a guy they believe other teams will go after and they think is a future star. It will be interesting to see what he does in the preseason if he ever actually plays. They have drafted developmental quarterbacks (Thorson) and pretty much let the league take them away if they didn’t believe in them. 

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The Carson Strong disappearing act is absolutely baffling.  Quite the enigma.

One has to actually show up in order to disappear. From the beginning people said Strong was struggling. He wasn’t even drafted so again where is he disappearing when the value and interest weren’t there? Strong is a hype machine of a) big arm and b) not Jalen Hurts that far too many of you jumped on. It’s Fulgham without actually doing anything in the pros. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

How does IR'ing him help anyone if he isnt allowed to practice? If he's truly terrible, just cut him. Not like it'll come back to haunt us. I just refuse to believe he went from impressing Sirianni with his "preparation", "knowing where to go with the football" & his "big arm" at rookie camp to being a completely confused bum who cant even get any reps and spends most of his time "observing" as Chris Franklin put it. Hopefully we get a better idea on sunday. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If he can’t beat out Sinnett then he’s likely destined for the PS unless the Eagles view him like Mialata as a guy they believe other teams will go after and they think is a future star. It will be interesting to see what he does in the preseason if he ever actually plays. They have drafted developmental quarterbacks (Thorson) and pretty much let the league take them away if they didn’t believe in them. 

Practice Squad is by far the most likely at the moment. He will hopefully get a chance to play some in the next couple of weeks. IR isn't ideal, but if they like him and he just was too green this year, they might stash him and hope everything moves less quickly next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Practice Squad is by far the most likely at the moment. He will hopefully get a chance to play some in the next couple of weeks. IR isn't ideal, but if they like him and he just was too green this year, they might stash him and hope everything moves less quickly next year.

Like others mentioned stashing him doesn’t quite help. He’s pretty much away from the team and a quarterback doesn’t improve by not practicing or studying. I think Strong is going to need to win that third QB spot or he’s PS and if someone takes them the Eagles probably don’t care. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

One has to actually sho up in order to disappear. From the beginning people said Strong was struggling. He wasn’t even drafted so again where is he disappearing when the value and interest weren’t there? Strong is a hype machine of a) big arm and b) not Jalen Hurts that far too many of you jumped on. It’s Fulgham without actually doing anything in the pros. 

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/audio/episode-340-qb-carson-strong-impresses-coach-sirianni-in-rookie-minicamp

No one is anointing him... just asking the question, where is he and why is he not playing in PS?

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/audio/episode-340-qb-carson-strong-impresses-coach-sirianni-in-rookie-minicamp

No one is anointing him... just asking the question, where is he and why is he not playing in PS?

Yeah Sirianni also praised JJAW last year too. Did that get him a bunch more touches? Is he still on the team? Sirianni hasn’t been a guy who likes to bury his players. It means little to hear that Sirianni said some nice things. If he were that good Sirianni would have played him. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah Sirianni also praised JJAW last year too. Did that get him a bunch more touches? Is he still on the team? Sirianni hasn’t been a guy who likes to bury his players. It means little to hear that Sirianni said some nice things. If he were that good Sirianni would have played him. 

I'm not saying it means anything, but it was something that was said by the HC.

29 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Thorson was cut during final cuts on August 31. Team will wait to cut a backup QB in case an injury happens and you need a camp arm that is familiar with the plays.

I mean...if they aren't using him as a camp arm now...

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'm not saying it means anything, but it was something that was said by the HC.

What people say and what they do doesn’t always coincide. The proof is in the showing, and frankly the showing has yet to show up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Not this year methinks.

6 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I mean...if they aren't using him as a camp arm now...

Because they believe the other QBs are better, but if Minshew or Sinnett get injured, they'll need him in TC spot duty.