The official Hurts/Minshew/Stinnett/Strong/EJ Perry containment thread

jsb235

On 8/3/2022 at 7:34 PM, Kwahu said:

I’m honestly shocked at how badly Minshew has been playing. Worrying if this is tanking his trade value.

Sinnett is looking solid, don’t sleep on him either.

If Sinnett continues to play solidly and Minshew struggles, I want to end up with: Hurts Sinnett Strong as our depth chart. Provided we find an optimal way to move Minshew.

I do NOT want Strong on the PS. We won’t be able to keep him, guaranteed. 

That's my concern with Strong although he hasn't looked that good in practice so far based on what we're told. Isn't there a short term IR these days? Do that and see how things shake out with Minshew & Sinnett?

I just find it kind of hilarious that people just ASSume the next quarterback will be better than what we have. Yeah cause everyone but the Eagles have Pat Mahomes right? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I just find it kind of hilarious that people just ASSume the next quarterback will be better than what we have. Yeah cause everyone but the Eagles have Pat Mahomes right? 🤦‍♂️

So stick with a guy and never have a shot. Or use all your assets to hide him? Nah. Bengals flipped it around quick with the right QB. Philadelphia did between 16 and 17. Having the right QB means everything 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

So stick with a guy and never have a shot. Or use all your assets to hide him? Nah. Bengals flipped it around quick with the right QB. Philadelphia did between 16 and 17. Having the right QB means everything 

You think Minshew gives us a shot? You think after one season you really know if you have a shot? You knew Nick Foles would outduel Tom Brady and win a Super Bowl? You knew that Carson Wentz would never win a playoff game here? Asking since you seem to know that Hurts gives us no shot. And just so you know I KNOW the Eagles are going to do whatever they want regardless of what you or I think. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You think Minshew gives us a shot? You think after one season you really know if you have a shot? You knew Nick Foles would outduel Tom Brady and win a Super Bowl? You knew that Carson Wentz would never win a playoff game here? Asking since you seem to know that Hurts gives us no shot. And just so you know I KNOW the Eagles are going to do whatever they want regardless of what you or I think. 

Minshew can run an offense closer to what Nick was brought in here for. I don't think anyone in the QB room makes us contenders this year. The rest of the roster may be, but not in the QB room. Nick Foles overachieved and jumped off his shoulders over the goal line after Wentz carried the team to damn near the end. Carson Wentz not winning a playoff game is quite surprising. Your best ability is availability, and he just was never available during the post season.  Hurts style of play has zero rings. There have been over 50 Superbowls, and his style has none of them. If he changes his style up and shocks the world, cool....but he is taking off running on 7v7s so I wouldn't bet a dime on him changing much. The team around him got a legit wide out, a fourth wide out, and a backup tight end that's already hurt. So play in, play out he got a wide receiver, and now he is going to take his weak ass skill set and change his playing philosophy, or will he be exposed week in, week out like the Bucs showed. He isn't good. If he gets any playoff wins, he will be carried across the finish line just like Jimmy G was last year. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The next group of QB's have a bunch of guys with prototypical QB skills.

Stroud 6'3" with a big arm

Tanner McKee, 6'6" with a big arm

Will Levis, 6'3" with a massive arm

Anthony Richardson, 6'4" with a massive arm ( and drawing Josh Allen comps )

Tyler Van Dyke, 6'4" with elite arm ( and drawing Justin Herebert comps )

This QB class could easily rival 2020, and may be the best class in the last 10 years top to bottom.  Yes, they still have to go and do it this year, but this is the reason Howie pushed an extra 1st to 2023.

21 hours ago, downundermike said:

This QB class could easily rival 2020, and may be the best class in the last 10 years top to bottom.  Yes, they still have to go and do it this year, but this is the reason Howie pushed an extra 1st to 2023.

For sure, it looks a really good class at the moment. The sensible plan was always roll with Hurts this year and if he doesn't get to be pushing as a top 10 QB this year then we use our 2 firsts (and possibly more) to get into a position to get one of these guys in 2023.

Just really hope the Saints suck and Winston goes back to crazy interception QB without Payton.

21 hours ago, downundermike said:

The problem is they've got height, athleticism, and big arms, but none of them have been particularly good and precise QBs.  When someone satisfies both halves of that equation, then they need to be a top 3 pick.  When you've only got the raw talent part, then they are deservedly first round picks, but they need to be later to be of any value...their success rate will be well under 50% (given that they haven't put that talent together), so a franchise just cannot (or should not) go all-in on that.  It's not worth trading multiples of 1's and 2's to take one of those guys top 3.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hurts is either going to prove he can be a top 10 QB this year or that he needs to be replaced.  There are worse situations to be in IMO, like being locked in with a QB that is better than Hurts (and paid a lot more) but never going to lead their team to a championship (Carr, Cousins, Murray, Tannehill, Wentz, etc.).  

• Like 3

As an aside, EJ Perry was waived with a nfi by the Jags. So apparently the Eagles got the less injured of the two udfas.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hurts is either going to prove he can be a top 10 QB this year or that he needs to be replaced.  There are worse situations to be in IMO, like being locked in with a QB that is better than Hurts (and paid a lot more) but never going to lead their team to a championship (Carr, Cousins, Murray, Tannehill, Wentz, etc.).  

I would prefer the Eagles not lock into any quarterback for a big contract or long deal ever again. It’s just too difficult to field a championship caliber team with an overpaid average quarterback. With that being the case this is not the final year of Jalen’s deal so the Eagles do not have to make any moves until they deem it necessary. 

Minshew looks and acts like a Hollywood version of an Eagles qb. Who cares if he's any good, lol.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, ThinkGreen said:

Minshew looks and acts like a Hollywood version of an Eagles qb. Who cares if he's any good, lol.

spacer.png

Dude is Uncle Rico to go with literally living out a van. 😂🤣😂 We all have our heroes I guess.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-gardner-minshew-selling-van-he-trained-all-offseason

All I want to know is when does the "Sinnett Should Be The Starter!” thread start? At least maybe then he gets his name spelled right. 😂🤣😂

EJ Perry back with the Jags. Let the "did we sign the right udfa to mop up preseason games" debate begin!

On 8/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, jsb235 said:

As an aside, EJ Perry was waived with a nfi by the Jags. So apparently the Eagles got the less injured of the two udfas.

:thumbsup:Nice. EJ Perry discussion here in the EJ Perry thread. 🙂

On 8/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, downundermike said:

Watch most of these guys not even get drafted and someone come out from nowhere to be the top pick.

College is a fickle sport. Joe Burrow was buried at Ohio State and couldn't beat out JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins to win the starting job. Had to move to LSU where he had one decent year and then exploded in his 5th and final year. Nobody had Joe Burrow as the top pick in the 2018 offseason.

I mean people in 2021 were saying that JT Daniels and Kedon Slovis were surefire franchise QBs for the 2022 draft.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:23 PM, EazyEaglez said:

All I want to know is when does the "Sinnett Should Be The Starter!” thread start? At least maybe then he gets his name spelled right. 😂🤣😂

Only preseason, but he’s having a rough game. 

Unless Strong was hurt, he must be unbelievably bad to not beat out Sinnett for pre-season play time. Sheesh.

4 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Unless Strong was hurt, he must be unbelievably bad to not beat out Sinnett for pre-season play time. Sheesh.

People so desperate to see Hurts gone we’re completely overhyping the readiness of Strong. He’s got a strong arm, but most of his completions are 40 yards down field and 10 yards out of bounds to the ball boy. He’s not close to ready and there’s a chance he never will be.

• Like 1

There were some whispers during the draft process that Strong had trouble grasping the playbook and struggled with the mental part of the game.

If he is having trouble learning the plays here as well, that would be appropriate cause for not giving him playing time. We'll see in game 2.

8 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Yeah, I don't buy that. You don't sit him for then entire second half unless it was for a reason.

36 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Yeah, I don't buy that. You don't sit him for then entire second half unless it was for a reason.

I dont buy it either. It could be because we were down three receivers in Smith, Ward & Hightower. Might have wanted to give Strong a chance with receivers not named lance lenoir, britain covey & devon allen. I refuse to believe he's worse than Sinnett. Reports from camp havent been good but i'd like to see for myself. Reports were that Sinnett was lighting it up in camp and performing better than Minshew but then he looked like 💩 in the game. 

• Like 1