Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Cut all the Stars

That might start a Stars War 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Think I've only seen one who wants to see failure, which I don't understand at all. I personally would love for my doubts to be answered with high levels of success. I think our QB situation, depth at corner, and safety situation are the biggest question marks. I'm excited to see the new defense and to see Gainwell's year two. I expect Smith to be high end #2, low end #1 which isn't an insult. I question Brown's production last year with a more productive QB. Hoping that was just a down year. I am looking forward to see how our coaches have grown, and what they learned from the Bucs handing them their ass.  I also don't think our schedule is as easy as everyone wants to believe. Washington got better and the giants have taken one the last two years while being a dumpster fire. I'm not looking forward to playing Minnesota either.  I'm hoping to eat a plate of crow and will down that like a fat man on cake 

I don't think CB depth is an issue...if Slay/Bradberry/Maddox go down...how many teams have a 4th/5th guy that can step in and be a starter level? It's not reasonable. But, looking at the future, yes, CB is still a glaring need for the team. 

13 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No.  Not you.  

The only posts I ever see that guy (aptos) make are about how the blog's quality has declined. Yet I never see him post anything to generate any kind of discussion. Just bishes about the state of the blog. 

15 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I don't think CB depth is an issue...if Slay/Bradberry/Maddox go down...how many teams have a 4th/5th guy that can step in and be a starter level? It's not reasonable. But, looking at the future, yes, CB is still a glaring need for the team. 

CB is need #1 in the 2023 NFL draft. By then, our 30 year old CBs are a year older and we'll know if the young DBs (Vincent, Jobe, Gowan, etc.) can play. At least at EDGE, we have guys in their primes like Reddick/Sweat. 

11 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a lot of names.  We'll see if there is much talent there.  If someone gives you 10 scratch-off tickets, what are the odds that you'll become a millionaire?  

BTW... it doesn't do the Eagles much good that Douglas and Poyer are having good careers elsewhere.  It sort of sucks for us.  That falls under the 'organizational failure' mantle for me.  

The eagles, like every other team in this city apparently, just absolutely blow at player development. For them, it happens to be on defense. Graham and Cox were their two home grown high end talents in the last what 10 years? And they are now on the decline.

Every corner they've drafted outside of mills and Maddox has done nothing here and a couple went on to do pretty decent elsewhere. 

Every safety they've drafted since Dawkins left has been hot garbage.

They don't draft linebackers, and when they do they've sucked. Hicks was the sole exception and of course he was hurt all the damn time until he left.

This team is just so God awful at defensive player development it is absolutely disgusting. Big part of it is the awful drafting for years, but guys go on and play pretty well elsewhere and that shows there's a development problem also. And obviously that's why they constantly have to bring in high end free agents like Jenkins, slay, Hargrave, and Reddick. 

So frustrating that it's every team, minus the sixers. Phillies haven't developed a high end player since probably Utley despite having a top 3 pick like what twice? The flyers had the best farm system years ago based on talent and did literally nothing with it, actually ruined every player who had a slight chance of being even decent. 

If the eagles didn't have stoutland it would look even worse. Most of their player development comes from him.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

yep-you-got-it.gif

Slay is about to hit the big decline.  And what comes with aging CB play?   Injuries.  Most of the time it is the nagging injuries, and then the player is on the field, but less effective.  Which is why using the 'games missed' stat is a misleading one.  How much better is it to have an aging vet on the field at roughly 80-85%, versus a young player that might make some mental mistakes but can actually get into the right place?   How quickly we forget the Blaine Bishop performance in the 2002 NFC Championship game.  I wonder how different that game might have been with Michael Lewis in the game the entire time instead of rolling with 'the vet'.  

I'd add, Maddux is pretty much worthless playing outside.  He's a slot only, or perhaps best at safety, as he demonstrated his rookie year.   We'll see what McPhearson has this year.  He's likely the top guy outside of the depth.  Then there's the UDFAs from big time college programs that we have to hope were just missed out on by the other 31 teams... Jobe and Goodrich.  Both of whom are about average athletes, who's likely much better close to the LOS and as a part of run support.  If they are going to have to carry coverage deep, they are in trouble.  BUT... it's possible that this is the blueprint for the type of CB that Gannon prefers.  

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

yep-you-got-it.gif

Slay is about to hit the big decline.  And what comes with aging CB play?   Injuries.  Most of the time it is the nagging injuries, and then the player is on the field, but less effective.  Which is why using the 'games missed' stat is a misleading one.  How much better is it to have an aging vet on the field at roughly 80-85%, versus a young player that might make some mental mistakes but can actually get into the right place?   How quickly we forget the Blaine Bishop performance in the 2002 NFC Championship game.  I wonder how different that game might have been with Michael Lewis in the game the entire time instead of rolling with 'the vet'.  

I'd add, Maddux is pretty much worthless playing outside.  He's a slot only, or perhaps best at safety, as he demonstrated his rookie year.   We'll see what McPhearson has this year.  He's likely the top guy outside of the depth.  Then there's the UDFAs from big time college programs that we have to hope were just missed out on by the other 31 teams... Jobe and Goodrich.  Both of whom are about average athletes, who's likely much better close to the LOS and as a part of run support.  If they are going to have to carry coverage deep, they are in trouble.  BUT... it's possible that this is the blueprint for the type of CB that Gannon prefers.  

Agreed on all points really. I guess my point was just for this year, CB is actually in an OK spot. Of course, once this year is over it's a top 3 need on the team. And Slay is likely to miss time this year, he's been a little banged up since he's been here, missing little bits of time but nothing major thankfully. I'm too lazy to look up Bradberry's history. And Maddox I feel has a reputation of being made of glass, but that could just be me mis-remembering things (and he seems to get injured on "memorable" type injuries, so maybe that's why). But again, if any team loses a CB, especially in-game, usually the very first play is a pass targeted right at their replacement. And often it results in a big play because the talent drop off is significant. And we're no different than pretty much any other team in this regard. Maybe you get lucky at that point and find a diamond in the rough, but the odds are very slim.  

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

yep-you-got-it.gif

I think the Bradberry signing would have been great if the Eagles were closer to being a SB contending team.  This Eagles team, IMO, might be a WC team but they just aren't there to be a force yet.  Same goes with brining back Anthony Harris.  The Eagles invested the bare minimum at safety.  I would have rather them say OK, we aren't going to make a splash, let's just see what Epps and Wallace or Mayden can do.

In reality, this team is still building and it would have been wise to let McPhearson, Gowan or any of the other 9 CB on the roster that Howie brought in battle it out for CB2 and throw them in the fire.  We need to see if any of these guys are players.  Bradberry will just keep them on the bench one year longer and come next offseason when he signs elsewhere and Slay turns 32, the Eagles will still have questions at CB2 and have no idea what the young guys can do.

Slay, McPhearson/Gowan, Wallace/Mayden, Epps, Maddox with Vincent as the 3rd safety would have been fine with me rather than stop gap guys who while making the team better, don't help the roster grow.  

Next year, I want CB,S, TE, RB, DE in the draft.

40 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Agreed on all points really. I guess my point was just for this year, CB is actually in an OK spot. Of course, once this year is over it's a top 3 need on the team. And Slay is likely to miss time this year, he's been a little banged up since he's been here, missing little bits of time but nothing major thankfully. I'm too lazy to look up Bradberry's history. And Maddox I feel has a reputation of being made of glass, but that could just be me mis-remembering things (and he seems to get injured on "memorable" type injuries, so maybe that's why). But again, if any team loses a CB, especially in-game, usually the very first play is a pass targeted right at their replacement. And often it results in a big play because the talent drop off is significant. And we're no different than pretty much any other team in this regard. Maybe you get lucky at that point and find a diamond in the rough, but the odds are very slim.  

Yup, and for good reason.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I really tried to forget this. That's still the worst loss in my lifetime. 

Slay's decline is interesting. More 2 high should mean that any loss of speed will be less impactful. 

I saw that InsideTheBirds wanted to extend him. I can't think of a dumber move we can make.

Happy 4th for those of you celebrating! 

Here’s our 2nd best export ever:

image.jpeg.90ff88d68975df7b7b373fa84f7f3239.jpeg

29 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Ugh, dude For the last time, Nickelback is not the pinnacle of music history

7 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Ugh, dude For the last time, Nickelback is not the pinnacle of music history

No, this is our best export:

image.jpeg.d94aa6fd34a39bd9dabba4d98b86b4bb.jpeg

3 hours ago, RLC said:

I saw that InsideTheBirds wanted to extend him. I can't think of a dumber move we can make.

Never under estimate Howie!

In a sea of change this offseason, one unit that was clearly unsettled has been impacted. I am interested to see how the Eagles respond to their Special Teams. I am especially interested in the return/cover teams.

7 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

No, this is our best export:

image.jpeg.d94aa6fd34a39bd9dabba4d98b86b4bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.a858f48413dbdae4f6a956874008fa76.jpeg

25 minutes ago, aptosbird said:

Never under estimate Howie!

In a sea of change this offseason, one unit that was clearly unsettled has been impacted. I am interested to see how the Eagles respond to their Special Teams. I am especially interested in the return/cover teams.

The season finale against the Turds was an utter crapfest, but there was one bright spot. And that was Jason Huntley’s performance as a kick returner. I would suggest that he is easily the best option they have there. It’ll be interesting to see if he can actually make the 53 though. I’m not sure he will so they’ll probably try to make do with someone like Kenneth Gainwell.

Andre Chachere was the only coverage guy that impressed me last year. I’m guess TJ Edwards was okay as a LB/bigger type.

Punt return game still stinks of course. Greg Ward has good enough hands, but his judgment is poor and he has very little ability to make the first man miss. It’s hard to justify Reagor after that playoff game, and I’m not even convinced he’s going to make the team. I’m not sure they really have any good options. And I wouldn’t count on any rookie free agent to do the job.

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

The season finale against the Turds was an utter crapfest, but there was one bright spot. And that was Jason Huntley’s performance as a kick returner. I would suggest that he is easily the best option they have there. It’ll be interesting to see if he can actually make the 53 though. I’m not sure he will so they’ll probably try to make do with someone like Kenneth Gainwell.

Andre Chachere was the only coverage guy that impressed me last year. I’m guess TJ Edwards was okay as a LB/bigger type.

Punt return game still stinks of course. Greg Ward has good enough hands, but his judgment is poor and he has very little ability to make the first man miss. It’s hard to justify Reagor after that playoff game, and I’m not even convinced he’s going to make the team. I’m not sure they really have any good options. And I wouldn’t count on any rookie free agent to do the job.

That is what I am most interested in...most of the names I am thinking of might not even make the roster at their position. I doubt they can hold a spot for an exclusive returner.

Eagles 2017 season highlights at 3 on nfl network 

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Hepatitis?

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

My teenage spirit from the 90s thanks you immensely. 

2 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Flappy crack?

7 hours ago, devpool said:

If the eagles didn't have stoutland it would look even worse. Most of their player development comes from him.

I was thinking of Mailata. It's early to crown Dickerson but yeah, Stoutland. I have a lot of hope for DeVonta but he needs better QB play to show what he can do IMO.

Pam Anderson is Canadian

1 minute ago, matchew88 said:

Pam Anderson is Canadian

Do you know what an export is?

Archived