EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 hours ago, blindside said:

Shannon Sharpe has nothing nice to say about Jalen Hurts. He must be racist. 

How can he be racist, I thought only middle aged, white republicans were racists

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Lmao😂. To be fair, over 60% have picked Hurts:facepalm:

:roll:

Good Lawd you all tracked him down on Twitter.:lol:

Suffice to say, some of us clearly have wayyyy too much time on our hands (and that’s not counting the time we waste on this forum).

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

:roll:

Good Lawd you all tracked him down on Twitter.:lol:

Suffice to say, some of us clearly have wayyyy too much time on our hands (and that’s not counting the time we waste on this forum).

Nobody tracked him down on Twitter, it the first reply to the poll Marks and Reese posted.  He posted almost the exact same thing in the blog yesterday.

19 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Is John Marks currently the worst regular sports talk radio host in the city? He's gotten so bad over the course of this year to the point he has become a caricature of himself. 

Shame too because Ike and Jack Fritz are great on the radio.  They really need to replace Marks. 

39 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

That IS fair — I don’t even know who this "Lawerence” guy is, and I doubt he even played college ball.

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

It's like two different universes combining.  Comic book guys....is this the equivalent of DC and Marvel coming together?  EMB and twitter interacting.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:35 PM, BigEFly said:

Tony Buzbee seeks documents regarding NFL’s investigation of Deshaun Watson

Posted by Mike Florio on July 2, 2022, 1:34 PM EDT

This past week featured a three-day hearing regarding the league’s effort to discipline Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson. The four pending lawsuits against Watson were not completely forgotten.

Fox 8 in Cleveland reports that attorney Tony Buzbee filed paperwork on Friday seeking documents from the NFL regarding its investigation of Watson. Buzbee seeks among other things the transcript of the disciplinary hearing.

It’s fair game, especially since Watson’s testimony can be used in the civil litigation that Buzbee is pursuing. The materials also may contain others relevant information.

Regardless of whether and to what extent the league suspends Watson, the four pending cases will continue — along with any others that may still be filed. Watson officially has settled 20 of the cases. The others could settle, but Buzbee needs to proceed as if they won’t.

My thoughts:

Florio must have been a crappy attorney and he keeps falling for Buzbee’s grandstanding.  First, I am sure all personal behavior investigations are conducted under the auspices of the NFL legal department in anticipation of mandated arbitration, a legal procedure.  Hence such investigation should be attorney work product and protected by attorney client privilege.  Further the disciplinary process is an alternative dispute resolution procedure.  Texas law clearly states that such procedures and any information shared therein are confidential:

Sec. 154.053. STANDARDS AND DUTIES OF IMPARTIAL THIRD PARTIES. (a) A person appointed to facilitate an alternative dispute resolution procedure under this subchapter shall encourage and assist the parties in reaching a settlement of their dispute but may not compel or coerce the parties to enter into a settlement agreement.

(b) Unless expressly authorized by the disclosing party, the impartial third party may not disclose to either party information given in confidence by the other and shall at all times maintain confidentiality with respect to communications relating to the subject matter of the dispute.

(c) Unless the parties agree otherwise, all matters, including the conduct and demeanor of the parties and their counsel during the settlement process, are confidential and may never be disclosed to anyone, including the appointing court.

The CBA is subject to NY law (it has a choice of law clause therein) unless conflicting with Federal Law.  While the disciplinary hearing process does not clearly identify as arbitration in the CBA or the commissioner’s communication on the Personal Conduct Policy, it sure does set forth a legal process that mirrors arbitration.  Neither the Federal Arbitration Act nor CPLR 75, which sets forth NY law on arbitration, address confidentiality in proceedings.  (Although 28 USC Sec 652(d) does provide for local rules requiring confidentiality in the Federal Courts mediation process). Given that the CBA and Commissioner’s Communication on the Personal Conduct Policy set forth a goal of confidentiality for witnesses, and given that Watson’s behavior was subject to criminal investigation, I would be surprised if his lawyers did not insist on confidentiality.  (Not sure he can compel such but given that Buzbee made the Texans a party, can’t believe the Commissioner wouldn’t insist on such a provision from Robinson, herself a former Federal judge.). Courts have enforced confidentiality orders of arbitrators as though issued by judges. I never participated in a NY mediation or arbitration, including NY’s appellate mediations in front of appointed judges, that did not include a confidentiality agreements. I never participated in any Federal mediation that was not subject to confidentiality.    Most arbitrations I have participated in were subject to American Arbitration Association rules.  (Pretty standard.)

Confidentiality
Subject to applicable law or the parties’ agreement, confidential information disclosed to a mediator by the parties or by other participants (witnesses) in the course of the mediation shall not be divulged by the mediator. The mediator shall maintain the confidentiality of all information obtained in the mediation, and all records, reports, or other documents received by a mediator while serving in that capacity shall be confidential.
The mediator shall not be compelled to divulge such records or to testify in regard to the mediation in any adversary proceeding or judicial forum.
The parties shall maintain the confidentiality of the mediation and shall not rely on, or introduce as evidence in any arbitral, judicial, or other proceeding the following, unless agreed to by the parties or required by applicable law:
(i) Views expressed or suggestions made by a party or other participant with respect to a possible settlement of the dispute;
(ii) Admissions made by a party or other participant in the course of the mediation proceedings;
(iii) Proposals made or views expressed by the mediator; or
(iv) The fact that a party had or had not indicated willingness to accept a proposal
for settlement made by the mediator.

Given that Texas has adopted the confidentiality provision of the Uniform Arbitration Act, I would be shocked if Buzbee’s attempt doesn’t go down in flames.  

@NCiggles Sure hope Florio wasn’t batting for your side or mine.  

I think you're right on being able to compel the testimony of the hearing officer from the proceeding.   Florio may be right about compelling the NFL to produce a copy of the transcript from the hearing and other exhibits.  The NFL discipline process falls under Section 46 of the CBA.  I do not see any part of that section that provides for the transcript and exhibits to be considered confidential.  I think compelling production of them could otherwise fall under the NLRA and I do not know what that law provides.  I don't see anything in the CBA that prohibits it.  A judge might think that it's not discoverable if the NFL moves to quash a subpoena of the transcript.  I am sure there are arguments to be made.  I think Watson could also be made to produce a copy of the transcript.  

30 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t even know who this "Lawerence” guy is

You tellin me you dont remember Lawrence Guy???

20220706_111919.jpg

33 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That IS fair — I don’t even know who this "Lawerence” guy is, and I doubt he even played college ball.

Joey Lawrence GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Jalen Hurts' biggest accomplishment thus far has been to drastically reduce my respect for this fan base as a whole. 

I thought average Eagles fans were a little smarter than casuals, but theyre not

12 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

Jalen Hurts' biggest accomplishment thus far has been to drastically reduce my respect for this fan base as a whole. 

I thought average Eagles fans were a little smarter than casuals, but theyre not

But he made a front flip for a first down and juked the Saints D on a TD run

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

For this year, that likely makes sense.  Both are going to go through growing pains passing the ball, but Hurts offers more as a runner who can make more plays through improvisation.  I don't see Lawrence as that guy in the NFL.  So, for 2022... yeah, Hurts is likely the better option.  But, having Lawrence go through the growing pains in 2022 could lead to a much higher level for Lawrence in 2023 than for Hurts in 2023.  

Short term 'solution'. 

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

For this year, that likely makes sense.  Both are going to go through growing pains passing the ball, but Hurts offers more as a runner who can make more plays through improvisation.  I don't see Lawrence as that guy in the NFL.  So, for 2022... yeah, Hurts is likely the better option.  But, having Lawrence go through the growing pains in 2022 could lead to a much higher level for Lawrence in 2023 than for Hurts in 2023.  

Short term 'solution'. 

I understand that but the question is who would you rather have quarterbacking the Eagles this season. That answer is unequivocally Trevor Lawrence IMO. You swap the two QB's and Jags probably go 0-16 last year while the eagles would still win 9+ games. The only .500 or better teams we've beaten under Hurts is the Tysom Hill led Saints and the Trevor Siemian led Saints. Lawrence on a dumpster fire team led the jags to three victories over .500 or better teams last season(Dolphins, Colts & Bills). Im taking him in our current situation over Hurts 100/100 times. 

2 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

As if further evidence was needed how big of no life loser stalkers these people are to go harras random Twitter users thinking they are me. 

25 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I understand that but the question is who would you rather have quarterbacking the Eagles this season. That answer is unequivocally Trevor Lawrence IMO. You swap the two QB's and Jags probably go 0-16 last year while the eagles would still win 9+ games. The only .500 or better teams we've beaten under Hurts is the Tysom Hill led Saints and the Trevor Siemian led Saints. Lawrence on a dumpster fire team led the jags to three victories over .500 or better teams last season(Dolphins, Colts & Bills). Im taking him in our current situation over Hurts 100/100 times. 

I’m interested to see what Trey Lance does in SF this season.  He goes into Year 2 with about half the spot-duty that Hurts had in his actual rookie year.  Lance is a taller and faster version of Hurts with a bigger arm.  Accuracy will also be a question mark 

If Lance can put together a better 2022 season than Hurts, that will be very telling — even though some folks will simply default to praising Shanahan for it.

Just a quick Hurts comment from a non-analytical/football perspective.  

The season is upon us and it's time to cool it on the debate.  I, admittedly, have a pretty radical and VERY negative view of Hurts. I will not beat that dead horse further or justify it now...but suffice to say, I think he is bad for the position and even worse for the future of this team.  There are others who think he can be great for us and have a massive admiration of him.  Both, at this point, are opinions.

The debate and clash of those opinions, on this board (and amongst fans outside of it) has become so acrimonious that it has pinned both sides in corners they don't want to be in.  I don't want Hurts to fail.  And I don't think anyone on this message board is really a bigger Hurts fan than Eagles fan and wants Hurts to start if it's going to be bad for the team.  But we have devolved into a situation where, if Hurts turns into an MVP candidate, some of us are going to be quire frustrated by the enormous crow coming our way, while if Hurts embarrasses himself, others will be more upset about what it means for their stance on Hurts than for how it will hurt our team.

The season is upon us.  Hurts is the starter.  Time to just hope for the best and see how it plays out.  I'll try to wait at least until week 1 halftime to remind everyone why Hurts sucks.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The season is upon us and it's time to cool it on the debate.  I, admittedly, have a pretty radical and VERY negative view of Hurts. I will not beat that dead horse further or justify it now...but suffice to say, I think he is bad for the position and even worse for the future of this team.  There are others who think he can be great for us and have a massive admiration of him.  Both, at this point, are opinions.

The debate and clash of those opinions, on this board (and amongst fans outside of it) has become so acrimonious that it has pinned both sides in corners they don't want to be in.  I don't want Hurts to fail.  And I don't think anyone on this message board is really a bigger Hurts fan than Eagles fan and wants Hurts to start if it's going to be bad for the team.  But we have devolved into a situation where, if Hurts turns into an MVP candidate, some of us are going to be quire frustrated by the enormous crow coming our way, while if Hurts embarrasses himself, others will be more upset about what it means for their stance on Hurts than for how it will hurt our team.

The season is upon us.  Hurts is the starter.  Time to just hope for the best and see how it plays out.  I'll try to wait at least until week 1 halftime to remind everyone why Hurts sucks.

Seriously though, what else are we going to talk about until camp starts ??

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Seeing as delusional is the topic of the day in the Hurts thread, here is some more delusion.

Tee Higgins and Devonta aren't necessarily comparable but I think Devonta is the more gifted WR.  I like AJ Brown but he's not better than Chase.  I can see an argument for a 24 year old Watkins over a 28 year old Boyd in terms of upside.  Boyd was a better WR last season and I don't think he's going to be worse than Watkins next season.  

27 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

As if further evidence was needed how big of no life loser stalkers these people are to go harras random Twitter users thinking they are me. 

So you are either that Twitter user, or he should sue you for plagiarism.  

22 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Is John Marks currently the worst regular sports talk radio host in the city? He's gotten so bad over the course of this year to the point he has become a caricature of himself. 

Shame too because Ike and Jack Fritz are great on the radio.  They really need to replace Marks. 

Just now, Alphagrand said:

I’m interested to see what Trey Lance does in SF this season.  He goes into Year 2 with about half the spot-duty that Hurts had in his actual rookie year.  Lance is a taller and faster version of Hurts with a bigger arm.  Accuracy will also be a question mark 

If Lance can put together a better 2022 season than Hurts, that will be very telling — even though some folks will simply default to praising Shanahan for it.

I suspect he will be much better in his "basically rookie season" than Hurts was in his "basically rookie season". He might even just be flat out better. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

So you are either that Twitter user, or he should sue you for plagiarism.  

Does RTK have copywrite on pro Hurts opinions? 

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I would put your over/under at reminding us why Hurts sucks at the 2nd offensive series of the first game.  

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I would put your over/under at reminding us why Hurts sucks at the 2nd offensive series of the first game.  

I can see it now "play action. Hurts going deep! Ball hanging in the air! ...intercepted! Hurts was going to connect deep with his friend AJ Brown, but it hung in the air just a little too long". Board crashes

5 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I can see it now "play action. Hurts going deep! Ball hanging in the air! ...intercepted! Hurts was going to connect deep with his friend AJ Brown, but it hung in the air just a little too long". Board crashes

Doubt it.  Unlike Hurts, @VaBeach_Eagle puts the work in and actually produces on game day.

Archived