EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Wasn't expecting to see more offseason cooking videos than workout videos. 

Jalen heard that Eagles fans had beef with his performance...

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Most predictable thing is the Watson suspension coming out today at 4PM. Nothing like a negative NFL news dump the eve of a holiday weekend. 

It’s not the most popular point, but he could get the AD treatment: credit for time served.

He was benched all year last season mainly because they couldn’t trade him with the accusations pending, which affects his legacy in the same way as a direct suspension. On top of that, he signed a suspension-proof contract, so he gets paid either way, reducing the penalty of actually being suspended. So he could say he’s already served his year and that’s that.

Not likely as there would be huge public backlash, but it makes sense.

Falcons waived Dom Maggio, punter, when they signed Pinion.  Maggio is a local kid just down the road from here in Parkton.  Was All ACC for three years and second in his class in punt average.  Maybe worth a look as competition at the position. C’mon Howie, bring in another punter.  

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

It’s not the most popular point, but he could get the AD treatment: credit for time served.

He was benched all year last season mainly because they couldn’t trade him with the accusations pending, which affects his legacy in the same way as a direct suspension. On top of that, he signed a suspension-proof contract, so he gets paid either way, reducing the penalty of actually being suspended. So he could say he’s already served his year and that’s that.

Not likely as there would be huge public backlash, but it makes sense.

Eh, I don't see that as a possibility. He was never on the exempt list, nothing prevented him from playing but himself, and he said multiple times he'd never play a snap again for the Texans. Texans didn't block him from the facility or anything, and they can't control a team didn't want to complete a trade unless he settled. Watson not playing last year was 100% a Watson decision. 

Wasn't expecting to see more offseason cooking videos than workout videos. 

he eats too

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

he eats too

Don't like his on field at all, but respect his off field for the most part 

25 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Don't like his on field at all, but respect his off field for the most part 

He's endorsed by Pepsi, this is just another paycheck 

Ah

On 6/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, Desertbirds said:

Would you PM to me a picture? I will use it in one of my lectures.

I'll take one tomorrow.  Farmers Market here is on Saturday .

16 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Knowing the outcome is an impossibility.  Risk itself is a statistical uncertainty…and enough shots have been given to know the risks.

We don't KNOW the risks.  We can only approximate them ... with reasonable certainty, but not with knowledge.

3 minutes ago, mattwill said:

We don't KNOW the risks.  We can only approximate them ... with reasonable certainty, but not with knowledge.

They aren’t risks if you KNOW.  Granted, semantics.

Always a fan of Big Beau. Enjoy the young retirement, and see you at the SB 52, 10 year reunion.

4 hours ago, downundermike said:

When I started reading this comment, I though he was talking about Philly's new power couple.

Jalen Hurts was with A.J. Brown when he got the call and was drafted in  2019 : r/eagles

That shirt is zero swag

2 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Falcons waived Dom Maggio, punter, when they signed Pinion.  Maggio is a local kid just down the road from here in Parkton.  Was All ACC for three years and second in his class in punt average.  Maybe worth a look as competition at the position. C’mon Howie, bring in another punter.  

Because the Eagles roster is at the max of 90 players, signing another player means one of the current players needs to be released or waived.  The 90 limit may be 91 because of Matt Leo qualifying (last year) as an International Player.  I don't know whether that carries over from year to year.  The signing of Cam Jurgens earlier today already puts us at 91.

So, which current roster player would you release in order to sign Maggio?

4 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"We hope you enjoy the Eagles this season on their way to one and done in the playoffs" doesn't have quite the same drawing power. 

"We hope you enjoy the Jalen Hurts swag this season on his way to not throwing any balls to the left handside and running around in circles for no reason" doesn't have quite the same drawing power. 😉

The loser of the week in sports has to be Lincoln Riley. Goes from the best coach in his conference to now a distaaaant second behind James Franklin. Sucks to be him.

Anyway, now Riley can see what going up against real coaching is all about.

#BigGameJames

41 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Always a fan of Big Beau. Enjoy the young retirement, and see you at the SB 52, 10 year reunion.

Great seventh round pick there. Mills and Mailata are two others who significantly surpassed the expectations of that round.

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

he eats too

So, anything this guy does is ****, right? An athlete helping black owned businesses is hard to critique, yet, the braintrust in TATE needs it for their daily "Let's make sure everyone knows that Hurst S*cks" circle jerk. It is as if you all believe in some fatalistic spell that needs daily attendance in order for Hurts to fail and be replaced ASAP. Frankly, it comes off as stupidly biased to critique an athlete doing a community action like this.

28 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

So, anything this guy does is ****, right? An athlete helping black owned businesses is hard to critique, yet, the braintrust in TATE needs it for their daily "Let's make sure everyone knows that Hurst S*cks" circle jerk. It is as if you all believe in some fatalistic spell that needs daily attendance in order for Hurts to fail and be replaced ASAP. Frankly, it comes off as stupidly biased to critique an athlete doing a community action like this.

Who’s being critical?  It’s a paid endorsement by an athlete to sponsor a local restaurant.  His tweet was really good, the restaurant and its owners benefit financially, and Hurts is paid to do it.  He didn’t just walk in the place out of the blue and sing its praises out of the goodness of his heart — that’s all that is being pointed out.

I have a theory about building NBA teams: two players on the same team who only give you volume shooting on offense and are not primarily facilitators won’t work.

KD+Kyrie

Embiid+Harden

Luka got better when they dumped Porzingis

Westbrook+Harden

Westbrook+KD did make 1 finals, but their time in OKC ultimately disappointed with talent around them

Westbrook and Harden have both averaged 10+ assists, but I believe that’s out of necessity due to the way their offense is built entirely around them; they get double and triple teamed a lot and get easy kick out assists. They’re not true facilitators in the fabric of a Chris Paul or a Rajon Rondo.

Or one like Lebron. He is a volume shooter, but he is also one of the best facilitators in NBA history. Think about each team he built:

Heat: Dwayne as a volume shooter, Lebron as the hybrid facilitator, Chris Bosh took a backseat role and no longer shot in volume like he did in Toronto. Dude was a 25-10 before he took his talents to south beach.

Cleveland: Kyrie the volume shooter, Love took a backseat preventing multiple volume shooters with little else to contribute.

LAL: Only AD as the volume shooter opposite Lebron. Westbrook did not fit.

Only example I can think of that bucks this is Kobe and Shaq, though they also had absurd talent around them and Phil Jackson; if someone can make it work, it’s him.

This is also why KD fit so well on the warriors. Draymond is a straight up offensive facilitator, Steph gets to 30 pts on fewer shots than anyone Else in the NBA and is also a strong facilitator in that offense, and Klay has never been a volume shooter. They had a spot open for one, and he fit in nicely.

Also the Celtics, Pierce was the only guy throwing up tons of shots on that team. KG’s points per game went down considerably, and Allen became a spot shooter with Rondo as a pure facilitator.

I bring this up because I was talking to my Wolves friend a month ago and I told him ANT is a volume shooter. You don’t want him with DLo long term or Kyrie or KD, you want to bring in someone like Gobert who’ll move KAT to the stretch 4….

And Boom! Gobert to the Wolves! Good job Minnesota, that’s team building.

Also question whether Booker and KD would work in Phoenix unless Booker takes a back seat

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

Because the Eagles roster is at the max of 90 players, signing another player means one of the current players needs to be released or waived.  The 90 limit may be 91 because of Matt Leo qualifying (last year) as an International Player.  I don't know whether that carries over from year to year.  The signing of Cam Jurgens earlier today already puts us at 91.

So, which current roster player would you release in order to sign Maggio?

Craig James or Richard Rodgers. 

Archived