EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Just a quick Hurts comment from a non-analytical/football perspective.  

The season is upon us and it's time to cool it on the debate.  I, admittedly, have a pretty radical and VERY negative view of Hurts. I will not beat that dead horse further or justify it now...but suffice to say, I think he is bad for the position and even worse for the future of this team.  There are others who think he can be great for us and have a massive admiration of him.  Both, at this point, are opinions.

The debate and clash of those opinions, on this board (and amongst fans outside of it) has become so acrimonious that it has pinned both sides in corners they don't want to be in.  I don't want Hurts to fail.  And I don't think anyone on this message board is really a bigger Hurts fan than Eagles fan and wants Hurts to start if it's going to be bad for the team.  But we have devolved into a situation where, if Hurts turns into an MVP candidate, some of us are going to be quire frustrated by the enormous crow coming our way, while if Hurts embarrasses himself, others will be more upset about what it means for their stance on Hurts than for how it will hurt our team.

The season is upon us.  Hurts is the starter.  Time to just hope for the best and see how it plays out.  I'll try to wait at least until week 1 halftime to remind everyone why Hurts sucks.

Not for another 8 weeks, I think.  

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Are Jimmy G's days as a starting QB over?

I think they like Davis Mills. 

Fair chance that Jimmy G won't need to pack methinks. Of course if somebody loses a starter phones ring in S.F.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Rational argument: I don’t trust the data presented, in part because I don’t believe (even during his JAX stint) that Foles was the worst decision-making QB in the NFL, nor do I believe Jackson is in the top 3 decision-making QBs

Troll reply:  Lamar Jackson is a better QB than Foles

RT-nuance-K

How is it a troll reply to say that one of the top 10 QBs in the league, a former MVP that is only 24 years old is a better QB than a journeyman backup QB who is currently a backup QB on his 6th team?  

We can even take out the exceptional running ability of Lamar Jackson and he's still a far better QB than Foles.  There just isn't any argument for it otherwise.

TD:INT? 

Lamar 84 TD passes to 31 interceptions.

Foles 82 TD passes to 43 interceptions.

Completion percentage?

Lamar 64.1%

Foles 62.4%

Yards per attempt?

Lamar 7.5

Foles 6.8

QB rating?

Lamar 98.1

Foles 87.3

Career win/loss record?

Lamar 37-12

Foles 29-27

So yeah it's obviously trolling to say that Lamar Jackson is a better QB than Nick Foles.  

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

1) I disagree. Saints have a hard as F schedule, they have a terrible QB, a new coach and are gonna miss Kamara for a bunch of games

2) You can be a 3rd team in the division and make the playoffs. 

I think Rhule isn't a good coach. Their offensive line is just bad.  Beyond DJ Moore they have a bunch of nothing at WR.  It's the same at RB after CMC.   They could make the playoffs but they weren't a 5-12 team just because of Darnold last season.  

1 hour ago, blindside said:

What makes sense about it is that it takes the parity out of it a little. There’s only 17 games in the regular season. You want the best teams in the playoffs. And a snow/heavy rain game can be stolen by a worse team depending on the matchup and run game. Or drops. Or a number of things. And one loss can take a better team out of the playoffs. I agree, snow games are fun to watch. And with our current personnel, we probably are a better snow team than most. But I’d rather all teams have the same conditions to make things even. But at the same time, I prefer the team playing on grass than turf. But I agree with his overall sentiment. 

Also, does the cold/rain/snow increase the chance for injuries?

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Well chances are very likely that Lamar ends his career with at least the same amount of Super Bowl wins if not more. 

983056B1-40DE-4C9B-BEEF-1080DD017D42.jpeg

2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How is it a troll reply to say that one of the top 10 QBs in the league, a former MVP that is only 24 years old is a better QB than a journeyman backup QB who is currently a backup QB on his 6th team?  

We can even take out the exceptional running ability of Lamar Jackson and he's still a far better QB than Foles.  There just isn't any argument for it otherwise.

TD:INT? 

Lamar 84 TD passes to 31 interceptions.

Foles 82 TD passes to 43 interceptions.

Completion percentage?

Lamar 64.1%

Foles 62.4%

Yards per attempt?

Lamar 7.5

Foles 6.8

QB rating?

Lamar 98.1

Foles 87.3

Career win/loss record?

Lamar 37-12

Foles 29-27

So yeah it's obviously trolling to say that Lamar Jackson is a better QB than Nick Foles.  

Dude, friendly advice. Back away from any Foles discussions. You were wrong before and he won Philly a SB by outplaying The Goat. Just leave it at that and go back to supporting Hurts in the manner that only you do.

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I disagree.  

Correct, Lawrence was a massive project coming out.  I'm not sure how the hype around him didn't cool despite regression every year in college.

6 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

The interesting part of the Mayfield trade to the Panthers is it leaves the Texans as the only logical landing spot for Jimmy G.  Hard to imagine the Niners would even consider sending him to SEA.

Davis Mills played fine last year as a rookie given the circumstances. I don't know why Houston wouldn't continue to start him. 

4 minutes ago, BDawk_ASamuel said:

Davis Mills played fine last year as a rookie given the circumstances. I don't know why Houston wouldn't continue to start him. 

Agree that they should roll with Mills as he played well enough to earn it….but it is the Texans, they love doing dumb stuff

Good news is we probably are done seeing Baker Mayfield commercials all the time now.

17 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Good news is we probably are done seeing Baker Mayfield commercials all the time now.

Bad news, these will live on the internet forever 

image.gif.7afe2a091da97955564d3a3f50a016d4.gif

5 hours ago, UK Eagle said:

If every team had to play on grass then it has some merit.But frankly, one of the joys of professional sport is adapting to the conditions. 

As for PFF, anything they produce where a number of people with different biases need to interpret what the play call is and/or who was responsible for who on a play, is no different to creating metrics using a magic 8 ball.  Anyone that willing pays for that is an idiot.

Been saying this for awhile that most new stadiums are going to be dome or some kind of retractable roof.  We all know it's a passing league and will continue to be.  That's what most fans want to see.  It makes sense for stadiums to be indoors in a controlled environment where teams can air it out.  

5 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

God awful take.  No idea why that punter is so popular.  Football should be played in the elements.  It's more fun to watch on TV and more fun to attend the games. I really despise how every new stadium being built these days is essentially an indoor stadium. 

Games that are played in snow or rain aren't always more fun to watch.  More times than not they are sloppy games with players fumbling all the time and very difficult to throw the ball.  I wouldn't want to pay money to go to a game being rained or snowed on for 3 plus hours. 

3 minutes ago, 315Eagles said:

Been saying this for awhile that most new stadiums are going to be dome or some kind of retractable roof.  We all know it's a passing league and will continue to be.  That's what most fans want to see.  It makes sense for stadiums to be indoors in a controlled environment where teams can air it out.  

Games that are played in snow or rain aren't always more fun to watch.  More times than not they are sloppy games with players fumbling all the time and very difficult to throw the ball.  I wouldn't want to pay money to go to a game being rained or snowed on for 3 plus hours. 

They are unique games.  I love them.  I love watching games in the elements and I love when I get the chance to go to a game in the elements.  There is a different energy in the stands in those games.  

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Nick Foles named Super Bowl MVP as Eagles top Patriots - Arizona Desert  Swarm

Foles the G-O-A-T: Boston zoo makes good on Super Bowl bet

Where is the one with Lamar, what say rtk

1 hour ago, Next_Up said:

Dude, friendly advice. Back away from any Foles discussions. You were wrong before and he won Philly a SB by outplaying The Goat. Just leave it at that and go back to supporting Hurts in the manner that only you do.

Rtk, you need to take a sleeping pill, wake up and rethink your life

23 minutes ago, olsilverhair said:

Rtk, you need to take a sleeping pill, wake up and rethink your life

Yeah you do the same every night. Only instead of a pill you just crush a fifth of jack 6 pack of PBR you trailer park trash POS 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They are unique games.  I love them.  I love watching games in the elements and I love when I get the chance to go to a game in the elements.  There is a different energy in the stands in those games.  

Everyone and their preferences are different.   I'd rather all teams play in similar environments.  I don't think the weather and controlling it necessarily effects outcomes of games.  The year the Eagles won the SB they played outside in the cold and won the SB in a dome.  TB won it playing in a warm weather city that has rain at times and went on the road to beat GB in Lambeau where obviously its extremely cold.  Speaking of GB, they've been to how many NFCCG with Rodgers and had home field in the elements.  Didn't work out for them too well.  Good teams can play in any environment.  

2 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

Correct, Lawrence was a massive project coming out.  I'm not sure how the hype around him didn't cool despite regression every year in college.

He wasn’t a massive project like the QB’s that just got drafted, but a heavy RPO team like Clemson with the passing offense consisting of "if the defense does this, throw to option A, if they do this instead, throw to option B.”  
 It doesn’t help that dumb arse Meyer had him splitting reps with Minshew in TC.  Then again at Ohio St, Meyer told Burrow he throws like a girl, too bad, he didn’t say crap like that to Aaron Hernandez. 

34 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

He wasn’t a massive project like the QB’s that just got drafted, but a heavy RPO team like Clemson with the passing offense consisting of "if the defense does this, throw to option A, if they do this instead, throw to option B.”  
 It doesn’t help that dumb arse Meyer had him splitting reps with Minshew in TC.  Then again at Ohio St, Meyer told Burrow he throws like a girl, too bad, he didn’t say crap like that to Aaron Hernandez. 

Disagree, he had terrible footwork, a loopy motion, spotty accuracy and held on to the ball for far too long.  All of which got worse over his years at Clemson.  He was anointed the next big thing coming out of high school.  He lived up to the frosh hype but never took the next step, and I think took steps back every year.

Minshew got traded super early in the process as well.  I hardly think it hurt him.

So the Browns will pay Mayfield $588,235 Week 1 to try and beat the Browns.

Meanwhile, the QB they signed to replace him will be suspended for sexual misconduct. 

What a franchise. 

9 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

So the Browns will pay Mayfield $588,235 Week 1 to try and beat the Browns.

Meanwhile, the QB they signed to replace him will be suspended for sexual misconduct. 

What a franchise. 

There's a reason why they're called the Browns....

10 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Everyone and their preferences are different.   I'd rather all teams play in similar environments.  I don't think the weather and controlling it necessarily effects outcomes of games.  The year the Eagles won the SB they played outside in the cold and won the SB in a dome.  TB won it playing in a warm weather city that has rain at times and went on the road to beat GB in Lambeau where obviously its extremely cold.  Speaking of GB, they've been to how many NFCCG with Rodgers and had home field in the elements.  Didn't work out for them too well.  Good teams can play in any environment.  

Right so there is no need to remove the elements from the game.  I don't think indoor stadiums should be allowed in the league at all. If everyteam had an outdoor stadium it would open it up to each team having their own unique climate expierence. I think that's far better for football than turning it into this artificial indoor experience. 

It's okay for football to be tough at times.  It's okay for it to be a hard fought slugfest where both teams are trying to conquer the elements.  Not everything the NFL does should be to turn the league into arena football. 

I went to Green Bay when Sanchez was QB and we got blown out but it was in the cold, it had been snowing in the lead up to the game and it was just an amazing expierence overall. I'd love to go back there for a game but it will have to be when it is in November or later, I wouldn't even bother with a September game and it'd be an absolute tragedy if they ever built an indoor stadium. 

And that Eagles-Lions snow game was one of the most enjoyable regular season viewing experiences on TV.  I wish I was in attendance at that game. 

It is pretty wild how Roseman was able to get a 1st and a 3rd for Wentz on his large contract after the God awful season he had in 2020 and the Browns could only get a conditional 5th for Mayfield on a rookie deal still. 

Archived