EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He's 24 years old.  The story of his career is long from written and over.  Stafford was 0-3 in the playoffs until he won the Super Bowl.  Peyton was 3-4 before he won his first Super Bowl.  

When has a run first QB that won anything of note in the playoffs? I suppose Scam Newton getting to the Super Bowl is something, but look how he fared there. And then his career completely cratered afterwards. Who else?

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

What made him more of an NFL level QB that ran the RPO in college other than the number of games played?  His mechanics didn’t.  Now Meyers didn’t have a QB coach. Pederson hired Mike McCoy. McCoy did get the best out of Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow as a QB coach but never fixed Tebow’s mechanics. Should be interesting to see if he and Pederson can get Lawrence to believe he needs some fixing.  Pederson and Press Taylor failed at that with Wentz. (Of course, the Colts reaction to Wentz suggests that may be more of a Wentz issue than a coach issue.).   But he also faces a new offense in year two and probably two new starters at WR.  That may hamper his progress a bit.

(In contrast, both Watkins and Hurts grew more familiar as the season went on and Quez expanded his route running and Hurts was already familiar with Smith. Hurts is also more familiar with Gainwell and is in his third year with Goedert. I bring this up because the question that started this conversation was who would you rather have a QB this season).

I wasn’t comparing him to Hurts (or referring to the original post).  Lawrence has been a top prospect since his high school days and part of that reason was due to the fact that he was "polished” and had good mechanics etc.  He was undefeated as a Freshman in college.  The so called "regression” happened after his Freshman/Sophomore  years - and that to me points to coaching over anything else. 

10 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Lamar is a good regular season QB. He sucks in the playoffs, when the intensity and level of competition are at the peak. 

He has 3 TDs to 5 INTs in his 4 playoff games. Is that what you want? 

I didn't say I wanted Lamar in the playoffs. I'm saying he isn't hot garbage either like some are acting. I think he further developed as a QB than some are acting. He just needs to commit to in pocket to go further 

9 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

There was no other teams bidding.  Wentz was arguably the worst QB in the lwdgue in 2020 and he was about to start a massive contract he had signed the season before. We're there any reports of any other teams interested in Wentz? I don't remember any at all. He was seen as such a massive negative asset at that time. 

Here you go @TorontoEagle

The Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts are interested in Wentz, according to Mortensen and Schefter.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2930134-carson-wentz-trade-rumors-rival-teams-think-deal-happens-sooner-than-later#:~:text=The Chicago Bears and Indianapolis,according to Mortensen and Schefter.

Just now, downundermike said:

It's obvious he doesn't understand how negotiations or leverage work, at all. There's no point in discussing with him. 

4 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I didn't say I wanted Lamar in the playoffs. I'm saying he isn't hot garbage either like some are acting. I think he further developed as a QB than some are acting. He just needs to commit to in pocket to go further 

Well, what good is a QB if he can't win in the playoffs? What's the point? 

Flyers fans, anything worth getting excited about with the #5 pick as far as prospects or potential trades?

13 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

It's obvious he doesn't understand how negotiations or leverage work, at all. There's no point in discussing with him. 

Stick to Canadian Football, eh-hole. 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I feel that his throwing touchdowns are based on his run trickery and not reading a defense and finding tight windows. 

Which is fine, and we've seen it work here against terrible teams and terrible defenses. 

What happens is with a good coached team, or a good defense in the playoffs those "opportunities" dont come up and he looks terrible. 

Theres a reason why he's 1-3 in the playoffs and 2-6 or something against the Steelers. 

Even his one playoff win had no passing TDs, and he ran for like 136 yards. Just like Hurts, shut down his running and make him throw, and he can't beat good teams. Just like so many before. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

I wanted to dig deeper on Lamar's 36 Touchdown year...

5 touchdowns against the 4-12 Dolphins

5 touchdowns against the 7-9 Jets

4 touchdowns against the 2-14 Bengals

6 touchdowns aginst the 6-10 Browns

He's (and all run first QBs are) like a Jeep. A group of people love it and are wowed by the appearance of how good they can be....but the reality is they are crap machines that breakdown at the worst time. 

Side topic, using Eagles franchise records as proof whether some other player in the league is great or not is pretty pointless unless you are talking about Reggie White's sack record which isn't even an official statistic/record. Eagles only had one player pass for more than 4,000 yards a season , that's bad. 33 passing TD's being the leading number in franchise history isn't great. A rookie WR getting 900 yards is also not some great accomplishment. 

18 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I feel that his throwing touchdowns are based on his run trickery and not reading a defense and finding tight windows. 

Which is fine, and we've seen it work here against terrible teams and terrible defenses. 

What happens is with a good coached team, or a good defense in the playoffs those "opportunities" dont come up and he looks terrible. 

Theres a reason why he's 1-3 in the playoffs and 2-6 or something against the Steelers. 

I agree to most of this and it's hard to argue against that I don't fully agree on. I think he is the best version of the running QB style and still not able to get it done. I just won't act like he isn't a good player. he is just undisciplined as a QB so a disciplined defense kinda takes him out the game

43 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's another retractable roof stadium. 

Wrong.

• The new Bills stadium will not have a roof - or any retractable roof of any kind.

Hochul was echoing the sentiments of Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula, who have indicated through representatives that they prefer an open-air stadium. "Well when there's 18 inches of snow on the ground a dome always sounds better, but I do believe part of the culture of the Buffalo experience is to have the outdoor [stadium],” Hochul said. "To keep it open air is part of the Buffalo bravado,” Hochul said, "which people love to showcase.”

I'm not a running QB guy btw. I much prefer a distributor vs someone who tries to get the yards themselves. 

49 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

When has a run first QB that won anything of note in the playoffs? I suppose Scam Newton getting to the Super Bowl is something, but look how he fared there. And then his career completely cratered afterwards. Who else?

Cam was never as good of a passer as Lamar already is. Also there is no such thing as a run first QB.  Closest thing to that would be Tebow. 

Also the laziest argument for anything is X has not yet occurred therefor it never will.  Like anything in life and especially an evolving sport like football, X hasn't occurred until it finally does. 

13 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Side topic, using Eagles franchise records as proof whether some other player in the league is great or not is pretty pointless unless you are talking about Reggie White's sack record which isn't even an official statistic/record. Eagles only had one player pass for more than 4,000 yards a season , that's bad. 33 passing TD's being the leading number in franchise history isn't great. A rookie WR getting 900 yards is also not some great accomplishment. 

Exactly.

10 QB's passed for more than 4000 yards last year.  14 QB's all time have passed for 5000 yards, #50 on the single season passing list is 4671 yards.

Carson Wentz record of 33 TD's is tied for 67 all time.

25 rookie WR's have eclipsed 1000 yards.  2020, Justin Jefferson, 1455 yards.  2021, Ja'Marr Chase, 1473 yards.

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Cam was never as good of a passer as Lamar already is. Also there is no such thing as a run first QB.  Closest thing to that would be Tebow. 

Also the laziest argument for anything is X has not yet occurred therefor it never will.  Like anything in life and especially an evolving sport like football, X hasn't occurred until it finally does. 

Saying it never occured isn't lazy, it's just an observation. saying it never will happen is using the evidence that has been presented so far. QBs who constantly sit around 700 yards rushing haven't been successful in the Superbowl era for more than a single season of their career. They peak early and then fall to average to below average. Developing your arm and distributing is the name of the game. 

11 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Saying it never occured isn't lazy, it's just an observation. saying it never will happen is using the evidence that has been presented so far. QBs who constantly sit around 700 yards rushing haven't been successful in the Superbowl era for more than a single season of their career. They peak early and then fall to average to below average. Developing your arm and distributing is the name of the game. 

Bucs never won a playoff game outside under 40 degrees...until they did. 

Packers never lost a playoff game in Lambeau, until they did. 

A black QB never won a Super Bowl, until one did. 

A black HC never won a Super Bowl, until one did. 

John Elway could never win a Super Bowl, until he did. 

Peyton Manning could never win the big one, until he did. 

Offenses that were pass heavy and weren't built around a strong running game never won a Super Bowl, until they did. 

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Bucs never won a playoff game outside under 40 degrees...until they did. 

Packers never lost a playoff game in Lambeau, until they did. 

A black QB never won a Super Bowl, until one did. 

A black HC never won a Super Bowl, until one did. 

Peyton Manning could never win the big one, until he did. 

Offenses that were pass heavy and weren't built around a strong running game never won a Super Bowl, until they did. 

A run first QB never won a title until they...................oh wait, never mind.

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Cam Blows, He and Rivera have made a career because they had 1 season. Literally 1 season.

I agree it's a lazy argument to say "he hasnt won, so he stinks". 

My argument is how he's looked when he hasnt won, and how he looks when he plays good teams. Like Dog ****. Very Similar to what we've seen in hurts. 

He hasn't looked like dog crap against good teams. He had some really impressive wins against good teams in prime time last year.  He has a winning record for his career against teams with winning records.  

And again he's only 24 years old.  The best version of Lamar Jackson has not even been seen yet. 

Here is a Lamar Jackson stat that is very relevant to Jalen Hurts, teams get film and familiarity with a QB, especially a run first QB, and can game plan against them.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-facing-bears#:~:text=Jackson is 25-2 when,as a rookie in 2018.

Jackson is 25-2 when facing a team for the first time

Jackson is 12-10 when facing a team the second time and beyond

4 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

And again he's only 24 years old.  The best version of Lamar Jackson has not even been seen yet. 

He's 6 months away from being 26

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

He's 6 months away from being 26

Point remains the same.  25 for this this season is still very young.  QBs don't really enter their primes until 28-30.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Cam sucked as a passer.  But you wouldn’t know that.  

Cam career highs are 68%, 4051 passing yards and 8 YPA

Lamar career highs are 66%, 3127 passing yards and 7.8 YPA

off topic: didnt know where to do this but figured id shoe horn it into the blog. 

ive watched this play probably 40 times today. its a 2018 play from the wisconsin badgers. from an Xs and Os standpoint, its beautiful. its the football equivilent of art. the strong side gaurd pulling to seal off the backside, the weakside of the line fake down blocking then releasing as pulling lead blockers, the strongside WR sealing the edge on the only linebacker with a chance at the play.  i want to know, trick plays not withstanding, can anyone show me a more beautiful blocking scheme?

Archived