EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

43 minutes ago, Thrive said:

@bpac55, I disagree. I looked at it similarly to Dan.

Even with that angle, #8 peeling back would never get to the pylon for an INT.  At 1:11 where he is discussing this, Goedert has about 10-12 yards of separation from #8 and the two guys who have taken AJ Brown.  I admitted when I made the initial post that I was nitpicking.  Hell, this was a TD, that's great.  IMO, I just think the better ball location taking Goedert to the pylon would have avoided all contact.  

Now, the fact that Hurts saw that Goedert was open is good and I think that's really the point that Orlovsky is making.  Hurts seeing the field.   

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Even with that angle, #8 peeling back would never get to the pylon for an INT.  At 1:11 where he is discussing this, Goedert has about 10-12 yards of separation from #8 and the two guys who have taken AJ Brown.  I admitted when I made the initial post that I was nitpicking.  Hell, this was a TD, that's great.  IMO, I just think the better ball location taking Goedert to the pylon would have avoided all contact.  

Now, the fact that Hurts saw that Goedert was open is good and I think that's really the point that Orlovsky is making.  Hurts seeing the field.   

Dan is saying what others have said (I replied to your post before reading their posts). Basically if the defense was played right, Hurts is taught to throw the ball literally where he threw it. 

20 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Some random thoughts about the game for people who didn't get to watch it.

QB -- This might bother some, and I'm sure it'll thrill some, but basically Jalen Hurts was excellent. He completed every pass he threw and appeared poised and confident. The only criticism I would have was his decision to try to run for the first down on third and five. He was never going to get there, and he came up short as he went out of bounds. Fortunately for the Eagles (not for Hurts), he was drilled with a late hit and the drive was extended. He later ran for a touchdown but it was called back because of a hold. And he threw a touchdown pass on the next play. Gardner Minshew was inconsistent. He didn't outright suck but he didn't really look all that good either. Reid Sinnett kinda crapped the bed, though he did lead the team to a go-ahead drive in the closing minutes. Carson Strong didn't play. He'll probably get a lot of action in one of the two remaining games. Based on tonight, I'm not keeping Sinnett on my 53.  I don't disagree with this assessment.  Are you going with 2 QBs on your 53?  If yes, do we carry both Strong and Sinnett on the Practice Squad?

RB -- It was mostly Jason Huntley. He had one very good kickoff return (he's good at that) and I would say he ran hard. But he really didn't look good. There were runs where he definitely should have gotten more yardage than he got. Free agent Kennedy Brooks looked very slow to me, especially when moving laterally. But he showed some power and I guess you'd say he made a decent overall impression.  I believe we sign Jordan Howard after the Week One game is complete.

WR -- AJ Brown never saw the ball. DeVonta Smith didn't play. Apparently Greg Ward and John Hightower didn't either. Quez Watkins made a fine deep sideline catch on the first play of the game but he also dropped a catchable (not that it was easy) pass later in the game. Jalen Reagor caught a couple short balls but was unable to do anything after the catch. That's supposed to be his bread-and-butter, but he didn't show it. Zach Paschal made a couple of catches and looked the part of an experienced veteran who can help the team. Deon Cain dropped a ball. I think he caught one later. Britain Covey didn't shine. He had a decent kickoff return but also a poor punt return. Apparently he also got injured so we probably won't see him again. Devon Allen seems so buried on the depth chart (translation: not a chance in hell he's making the team) that he only got in on the last play of the game. (Could be wrong about that since it's hard to tell watching on television). I'm personally playing it safe and keeping 5 WRs including both Reagor and Paschal.  I'm willing to risk losing Covey by waiving himn and then signing him to the Practice Squad.  I'd probably give Allen a Practice Squad slot as well, but that will depend on the remaing preseason games.

TE -- Dallas Goedert had a touchdown catch. He's obviously the real deal. Didn't need to play after that. Jack Stoll caught a pass but the announcers didn't realize it was him. Noah Togiai made a couple of good plays. I'm not sure he's making the team but I'd say he helped himself. JJAW dropped the only pass that came his way. The announcers tried to make excuses for it (poorly thrown) but I don't buy it.  JJAW is gone.  I would keep Togiai rather than Rodgers, who can always be resigned during the season.

OL -- The highlight of the night was the play of Cam Jurgens. He played the whole first half and looked really good. Very mobile and always active. What I really liked about him was the way he kept his feet. There was also a running play that made me say "wow" out loud when I saw how quickly he got onto the defender and moved him. Andre Dillard seemed okay but I didn't really focus on him. He got flagged for a false start but it was really the whole line that moved when Jurgens snapped the ball late. The third team guys did not impress.  The third team did not need to impress.  The best they can expect is a spot on the Practice Squad.  We are essentially two deep at every OL position.

DL -- Jordan Davis only played a little bit but you could see the talent. Tarran Jackson batted a pass. I thought he looked okay. I don't think Derek Barnett played, and if Josh Sweat played, I didn't notice him. It was a game with the backups. I didn't see any standouts. Agreed.

LB -- Kyzir White intercepted a short pass and had a pretty good return. For a moment there, I thought he might take it to the house. I'm excited about the idea of actually having linebackers who can make plays in the passing game. He's definitely a plus. I thought Nakobe Dean and Davion Taylor were active. I'd give them both a plus. I would say that Patrick Johnson was more noticeable than Kyron Johnson but that's hardly a definitive judgment. It's just a casual thought.  It is nice to have nothing but positives to say about the LBs.  What a change!

DB -- I would say that Zech McPherson had a positive game. He's a tough dude. He was aggressive in his tackling. I saw him get beat once in coverage but I seemed to recall him making a play another time. Of the other corners, I'd say the best was Tay Gowan. Josh Jobe got beat a few times. No one else really stood out. This was my biggest disappointment in the game.  I hoped fro more from the backups.

K/P -- Jake Elliott made all his PATs. The Eagles intentionally kicked off high and short in the early going but still couldn't manage to pin the Jets as hoped. Then with less than a minute to go after the Eagles took the lead, Elliott kicked the ball five yards deep with what I believe was very good hangtime...and the Eagles barely kept the return man from getting to midfield. Arryn Siposs had one very good deep punt and a decent (mostly good) game overall. I was a bit disappointed when he had the chance to punt from around midfield and pin the ball deep. Instead he landed the ball at around the fifteen. You gotta do better than that, dude.

I've seen worse preseason openers. It's kinda disappointing to lose when you're up 14-0 off the bat. But the backups kinda stunk. Fortunately there weren't injuries other than Covey.

Good assessment Franklin.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Bpac55! George Pickens!

I just watched highlights of the first drive. Trubisky hit him and he turned up field for some RAC and a 1st down. Then McFarland had a run and Pickens blocked 2 guys down field. LOVED the blocking part of his game, as good of a WR as he is. Awesome player. 

8 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

This guy is wild. 

gave the finger wag just like he did in his Georgia highlight vs Michigan. He is great. I know we dont need a WR, but I really wish that guy was on our team.

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

White. He is in the mold of current day NFL LBs. And a better fit for our defense. Edwards is not as well suited for todays game.

And you have Dean now behind him.

4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

yeah. thats the move.

Would be annoying to still have Greg Ward as WR5, but its not the worst thing in the world either.

I prefer that to Reagor as WR5.

11 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

More Pickens

Ugh, man he's going to be a stud.  

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

Imagine someone so insecure about the starter that he only posts positive news about him, negative news about Minshew, positive news about Sinnett, and negativity news all around about Strong.  Everyone on this board wants Hurts to succeed and for the Eagles to succeed. We just don’t believe he has the ability to do it so we post about it on a message board. You’re honestly pathetic. I guess I took the bait.  

Yes.  Yes, you did.

7 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Redskins still have an injury prone Wentz playing in the 2nd quarter.  Bold move. 

He wasn't that fragile, just used his body like a position player which is cool but reckless for a franchise type qb

What a Fd up world. And our justice system... jesus christ.

Last week there was a fire, determined to be arson in Nescopek PA. IIRC 10 died. 

Tonight was a benefit event for the family at a bar in Berwick. A car ran in to the crowd. Then took off, got in to an accident. A girl, or woman got out of her car and asked if the driver was ok. He beat her to death with a hammer.

Its being said that this lunatic was the arsonist, who was bailed out by his father this morning.

Whole bunch of helicopters for victims, including children being lifeflighted.

How the hell can that be possible?

1 hour ago, Infam said:

That’s rich coming from the guy that never posts anything of substance ever.

Just stupid insults all day.

But glad you of all people have concerns.

Looks like I found his clone.  

4 minutes ago, ThinkGreen said:

He wasn't that fragile, just used his body like a position player which is cool but reckless for a franchise type qb

He's suffered injuries every year of his career.  

12 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

What a Fd up world. And our justice system... jesus christ.

Last week there was a fire, determined to be arson in Nescopek PA. IIRC 10 died. 

Tonight was a benefit event for the family at a bar in Berwick. A car ran in to the crowd. Then took off, got in to an accident. A girl, or woman got out of her car and asked if the driver was ok. He beat her to death with a hammer.

Its being said that this lunatic was the arsonist, who was bailed out by his father this morning.

How the hell can that be possible?

Where are you getting all of those details?  

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Where are you getting all of those details?  

facebook pages

33 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Perfect 3-6-4 DP by the Phillies on a sac bunt attempt.  Playing really good baseball.

One of hoskins best fielding plays this year. I’ve seen far too many times howard and sometimes hoskins launch that into the outfield. 

sucks we lost but nola was unhittable after the 2nd inning. But got wheeler tomorrow and hopefully we have schwarber. 

that said the Mets record isn’t indicative of how close i think these two teams are. Phillies being bad for the first two months makes it look like it’s a sizable difference. The Mets have a better overall rotation than the Phillies. but i think once harper and schwarber get healthy our lineup is better than the mets. Bullpens are about equal now that we don’t have crap familia. Would be a nailbitting type of series in the postseason if we played each other.  

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

One of hoskins best fielding plays this year. I’ve seen far too many times howard and sometimes hoskins launch that into the outfield. 

sucks we lost but nola was unhittable after the 2nd inning. But got wheeler tomorrow and hopefully we have schwarber. 

that said the Mets record isn’t indicative of how close i think these two teams are. Phillies being bad for the first two months makes it look like it’s a sizable difference. The Mets have a better overall rotation than the Phillies. but i think once harper and schwarber get healthy our lineup is better than the mets. Bullpens are about equal now that we don’t have crap familia. Would be a nailbitting type of series in the postseason if we played each other.  

Schwarber pinch hit tonight.  Step one, I guess.

BTW, Phillies have the better record since they replaced Girardi.  ;) 

Archived