EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If Nick Sirianni wants us to believe it was a good rep because "no one was open” then why doesn’t every QB run for his life as soon as he gets the ball?   Because no one is open.  

Also, if Hurts decided pre-game that he wasn't gonna throw to Brown....was Brown open on the play? I'm just asking questions

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are obviously extremes on both sides of this argument and always will be. Having said that, the amount of Hurtscuses they make for this guy is comical.

I don’t know if anyone could actually see his tweet before he erased it, but it had the all-22 view. That would have been beneficial to the conversation. 

6 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Re-read his take.

He says "quick drops mean quick decisions need to be made" Yes, a quick drop should mean a quick throw. Let's say nobody was open when Hurts hit his drop (I'd like to see the All 22 if we can, but whatever). Now, WRs aren't open, but the pocket is clean. There's no need to now default to, "welp, nobody open after my drop, I better run backwards and then out of this clean pocket". That's Hurts default mode. When it should be, "OK, nobody open, but I have a clean pocket, let me move within the pocket and see if these guys can uncover, or maybe I can throw one of them open". ESPECIALLY in a pre-season game. 

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

But it is terrible.  What the hell is the mental clock he's talking about?  Hurts didn't even settle in to the pocket, he just runs away from the pocket.  Any smart QB would do the same thing.  Run away from the pocket. 

Fellas, I understand you all want what’s best for him (at least I hope you do)/the Eagles but a take can’t be terrible just because the best QBs in this league would have handled the situation differently.

Expectations need to meet where he is. A year ago he’d bail without even going through his reads. Now he bails after going through his reads — that’s progress. I read HonestNFL’s take in light of that. 

And it’s not like he didn’t display the decision making that you two are espousing during this same drive: his touchdown pass had him utilizing subtle pocket navigation to find an open lane for the pass.

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Fellas, I understand you all want what’s best for him (at least I hope you do)/the Eagles but a take can’t be terrible just because the best QBs in this league would have handled the situation differently.

Expectations need to meet where he is. A year ago he’d bail without even going through his reads. Now he bails after going through his reads — that’s progress. I read HonestNFL’s take in light of that. 

And it’s not like he didn’t display the decision making that you two are espousing during this same drive: his touchdown pass had him utilizing subtle pocket navigation to find an open lane for the pass.

That's exactly why it's a terrible take. 

28 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Right. 

Though to be fair he got beat in the Super Bowl by former track star Nick Foles.

I’ve always said about Foles. If you blink, you miss him. 

8 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Well first, not really.

Second, that's not what he said. Again, his "praise" was that Hurts made the quick decision to bail from the pocket and that's good because he has a timer in his head. There was no mention that all of his reads were covered. There was no mention that he went through all of his reads. 

Even if those were true, you don't bail from a clean pocket (AGAIN) to run backwards and right (AGAIN) and fail to convert a third down (AGAIN).

For all of this talk about how dedicated he is and how he's worked with a QB guru to get to that next level, it was quite a watch to see him say "Nah, I'ma do me. People can't run or buy time like I do."

Red flag, but intangibles!!!

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

Well first, not really.

Second, that's not what he said. Again, his "praise" was that Hurts made the quick decision to bail from the pocket and that's good because he has a timer in his head. There was no mention that all of his reads were covered. There was no mention that he went through all of his reads. 

Even if those were true, you don't bail from a clean pocket (AGAIN) to run backwards and right (AGAIN) and fail to convert a third down (AGAIN).

For all of this talk about how dedicated he is and how he's worked with a QB guru to get to that next level, it was quite a watch to see him way "Nah, I'ma do me. People can't run or buy time like I do."

In the original tweet that he deleted and now isn’t showing up in my post, he said (and it showed) the receivers were covered but that he would have liked Hurts to wait a bit on the dig to Brown. 

Basically, he left the pocket a little early, but that he would rather Hurts have an early timer there due to a quick drop and people being initially covered. 

All in all, an even-handed analysis IMO. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

In the original tweet that he deleted and now isn’t showing up in my post, he said (and it showed) the receivers were covered but that he would have liked Hurts to wait a bit on the dig to Brown. 

Basically, he left the pocket a little early, but that he would rather Hurts have an early timer there due to a quick drop and people being initially covered. 

All in all, an even-handed analysis IMO. 

Strange that a terrible take just happened to get deleted. Talk about convenience.

8 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Well first, not really.

For all of this talk about how dedicated he is and how he's worked with a QB guru to get to that next level, it was quite a watch to see him say "Nah, I'ma do me. People can't run or buy time like I do."

Weren't you "don't overreact it's just preseason guy"  yesterday? 

Just now, jsb235 said:

Weren't you "don't overreact it's just preseason guy"  yesterday? 

If you go back and look, I've actually mostly been positive about Hurts and his drive and not overly picky, but that dude had a poor take and it was a poor play.

Nothing wrong with discussing it.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

That's a terrible take.

It’s Howies burner account so…..

Great view on the play. If Hurts steps up, the WR on the far sideline breaks open. If Hurts could throw to his left, and with anticipation, it would've been an easy completion. 

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Great view on the play. If Hurts steps up, the WR on the far sideline breaks open. If Hurts could throw to his left, and with anticipation, it would've been an easy completion. 

Yes, but consider the following: 

countdown-timer.gif

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I believe that’s Brown, which HonestNFL was referencing. 

Too much talk on one bad rep in pre-season game #1. Unsurprisingly, significantly less discussion on his good reps. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

"Had Hurts stayed in the pocket, he had AJ Brown for a big gain, a third down conversion and potentially a TD. He instead chose to leave a perfectly clean pocket earlier than he did last year, so that's something."

If anything, that's worse.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Too much talk on one bad rep in pre-season game #1. Unsurprisingly, significantly less discussion on his good reps. 

Well let's compare it to the very first play of the game. Hurts is flushed from the pocket there, and instead of his usual instinct to try and tuck and run and be the hero, he waits for Watkins to come open, which he does, and he completes a nice pass downfield. THAT'S what we're looking for. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Maybe because if not for a Jets meathead plastering Hurts out of bounds, that likely would have been his last rep.

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

The problem is that people have discussed his good plays. His TD to Goedert was a good play. He could've had better form though, which will help with his consistency. Rather than discuss, we are met with:

"Way to be picky!!!!"

It’s a fantasy segment but the gist is Schefter thinks it’s likely Kamara isn’t suspended this season 

14 minutes ago, Swoop said:

"Had Hurts stayed in the pocket, he had AJ Brown for a big gain, a third down conversion and potentially a TD. He instead chose to leave a perfectly clean pocket earlier than he did last year, so that's something."

If anything, that's worse.

If he hung in the pocket, yeah, I think it would have been a relatively easy completion for a first. We agree there. I don’t know where you’re getting a potential TD from it. Maybe you’re looking at the wrong WR. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

If he hung in the pocket, yeah, I think it would have been a relatively easy completion for a first. We agree there. Good don’t know where you’re getting a potential TD from it. Maybe you’re looking at the wrong WR. 

I'm re-watching it again....the LT and LG make absolutely beautiful blocks, and form a perfect throwing lane between them to Brown. You couldn't have asked for a better pocket and route...but by the time the throw needs to be made, Hurts is already running back, and to the right. 

12 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yeah, that's pretty good.   The out to the left was there.

13 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

But, Hurts was predetermined not to throw the ball to Brown in the game.   It makes sense.  Why throw to your top target on 3rd down when you can bail the pocket?

Archived