EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

We said the same thing except it wasn’t hanging in the pocket he needed to do here it was where to move in the pocket.  Half step up to the right and square. We both agree long and back to the right was the wrong move and I agree with you that is a habit move for him.   But once he moved right it is a throw across his body.  Hence my comment that isn’t an average NFL QB throw, that’s an Elway throw.  And if he threw it across his body in preseason, even if he made the throw by some miracle, I would hope Sirianni would chew him out on that during film review because that would be a stupid throw for any of the QBs on the Eagles roster.

The pictures I posted indicate, he didn't have to move in the pocket, or really hang in.  Just read it, adjust his base and release it.

5 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

My eyes are failing me. Who is the WR at the top of the screen? 

Brown, I believe.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The pictures I posted indicate, he didn't have to move in the pocket, or really hang in.  Just read it, adjust his base and release it.

Brown, I believe.

Thanks. That’s what I thought. 

People are really nitpicking pre-season.

A month until the first game, if Hurts worked on his mechanics this summer, he's still processing a lot of stuff to where it's probably not second nature at this point, it's one thing to do reps on an empty field, another to combine your focus on footwork, arm position, reading the field, feeling the pressure in the same package. Beating one play to death is silly.

There is a weird need to ITYS on internet boards, as if just observing and seeing what happens isn't sufficient.

We still have 4 weeks of practice, including 4 scrimmages and maybe a quarter of pre-season action before the 1st game.

Hey, I have an idea, let's see how he looks when the games count before making a big deal of anything.

Just now, austinfan said:

A month until the first game, if Hurts worked on his mechanics this summer, he's still processing a lot of stuff to where it's probably not second nature at this point, it's one thing to do reps on an empty field, another to combine your focus on footwork, arm position, reading the field, feeling the pressure in the same package. Beating one play to death is silly.

There is a weird need to ITYS on internet boards, as if just observing and seeing what happens isn't sufficient.

We still have 4 weeks of practice, including 4 scrimmages and maybe a quarter of pre-season action before the 1st game.

Hey, I have an idea, let's see how he looks when the games count before making a big deal of anything.

Bruh, it's his 3RD YEAR of professional ball, never mind all the reps and throws he's made in HS and college. If he can't read and make a simple out throw to his left, and only a 5-7 yard out throw at that....what the hell are we waiting for with him? 

18 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

If our starting QB can't make a 5 yard out throw....what the hell are we even doing. 

This is why I advocate for an open competition amongst the QBs. It's absurd. 

That's a fair question. I don't think anything's to be had from starting Minshew over Hurts. Sinnett actually showed a better arm than either of them but he has accuracy issues.  I think the team seeing how far Hurts takes them is less of a long shot than Sinnet or Strong.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Brown, I believe.

I didn't see the earlier pictures.  

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

We've seen what he looks like when the games count, and are hoping to see improvement.  

What's weird is that while you seem to understand that he needs more reps to have any new techniques really take hold, the coaching staff cuts practices short, takes him out after a single series, even though the defense got the ball back to the offense in scoring position very shortly after the first drive.   It's almost as if they are so scared of injury, they are missing the opportunities for development.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yep.  Know all about it.  Was there a few weeks ago.  Weather wasn’t great and the seas were angry that day my friends. It was a decent little spot.  

You think the sea is so salty because the beach refuses to wave back? 

11 minutes ago, WentzFan11 said:

Wow. Should have been at minimum 4 games. 

He's going to likely get something. His point is the legal process needs to play out and the case keeps getting pushed back and doesn't look it's going to get resolved anytime soon.

35 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

There's a safety in the middle of the field that would have had an angle on Brown.  

Hurts left the pocket early but I don't think he left when there was someone wide open.  He possibly could have just stayed put and made the throw to Brown.  I also am not sure that he could have stepped up to make the throw.  I get it that he could have made a throw to Brown.  If he was set on having to pass the ball but it's not like the Tampa game where he has Watkins open on a post route but he takes off instead.  I don't think it's a terrible play by him to run.  My point would also be that it's not likely that Hurts makes a great throw to Brown.    I don't think he's at the point where he makes that throw for a completion.  

I guess my sense was that was where he perceived the pressure from and why he ran so soon.  I think that's why everyone is saying he should have stepped up to make a throw.  

The safety may have gotten there, but it's also not inconceivable that Brown could've caught the ball and turned up field to score. I'm not saying it was a slam dunk, but the potential was there.

52 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Why bash a guy we have no option but to start? Like Herbert’s just grow on trees or we turned something down that was better.

Because he freaking sucks as a QB and we don't worry about snowflakes.

19 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I don't think 4 more scrimmages is going to get hurts to the point where he can comfortably throw a 5 yard out to the short side of the field.

I mean that's a pretty basic throw for an NFL QB, I realize hurts is a 3rd year Rookie but if he hasnt figured out this throw yet 4 more weeks of practice isn't going to magically do it 

@bpac55  You kind of half get your wish TC scenario the next couple of weeks.  The Eagles go early on the road for practice scrimmages before the preseason games.  Not exactly the dorms at Lehigh but as close as the team will get now that they hold TC at the NovaCare.  Nick doesn’t control the practice time alone, the other coaches have a say.  IIRC, the scrimmage practices were longer practices last year.  

24 minutes ago, austinfan said:

I don't think that's a good idea.  Kind of like jumping out of an airplane at 37,000 feet, then analyzing at that point whether you remembered a parachute.

Amazing cause it’s what i yell at the tv when i see Barnett 

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Bruh, it's his 3RD YEAR of professional ball, never mind all the reps and throws he's made in HS and college. If he can't read and make a simple out throw to his left, and only a 5-7 yard out throw at that....what the hell are we waiting for with him? 

You are conflating not making this particular throw with not being able to ever make this throw.  

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't think that's a good idea.  Kind of like jumping out of an airplane at 37,000 feet, then analyzing at that point whether you remembered a parachute.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ijqgtnpxp0a4vailq2

So far, so good.

36 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

See the source image

2 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

It's more like starting a football season with a QB that probably won't lead your team to a Championship but he is still the best option on the roster.  

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

It's more like starting a football season with a QB that probably won't lead your team to a Championship but he is still the best option on the roster.  

That's the macro view for sure.  I think people have a valid concern that he might be the same guy as last season, without any measureable improvement -- when that didn't have to be the case.

36 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Had Hurts stayed in the clean pocket, he had the potential for four completions:

Screenshot_20220815-114724.png

Also don't try to sell me that he went through all of his progressions. The receivers are barely out of their break and he's already lowered his head and took off.

57 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Does this mindset also apply to those excited by his lack of incompletions, and TWO TDs scored on one drive?

Archived