EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

2 minutes ago, justrelax said:

In typical Kempski fashion, on #3, that block was a combo block with Opeta but Jimmy didn’t credit him because it didn’t fit his narrative. Two guys made the block. Credit them both. I posted on a variety of stuff a while back and touched on that block, crediting both guys.

But Kempski's stick figure cartoons are pretty good.

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Injuries will happen along the oline like any other year. Jergens will see the field in some form or another.  

Speaking of Jurgens, did anyone else notice how sharp and accurate his shotgun snaps were? It’s kind of comforting to think that that probably won’t be something we have to worry about for the next decade. It was always scary with Herbig at center because it felt like there was about a ten percent chance that the next snap would either bounce at the quarterback’s feet or sail over his head.

I was also very impressed with Jurgens’s knee bend when striking. He's really good at staying low and in proper balance. He was rarely off his feet. Some linemen are constantly going to the ground. He just seems so technically sound. Was Tyler Linderbaum really that much better of a prospect that he went a full round earlier?

Even so, I’d be quite happy if Dickerson, Kelce, and Seumalo play 95% of the snaps in the middle of the line this year and Jurgens is relegated to mop up duty in the closing minutes of wipeouts.

I discovered the terrible truth of what happened to JJAW. He flew away with a teaspoon of sugar to help make the cut go down 

FB643F9B-A086-4F9C-A685-92751FDF8643.thumb.jpeg.4bb5e29d0c557d9e909c6baab1479362.jpeg

Given that I thought the refs pretty much allowed players to play in the preseason game, there were still too many mistake penalties for the Eagles.  I was hoping we would see better discipline this season as I thought that was something there was to much of in Nick’s first season.  Still feel that way but am heartened that the cowpads, who led the league in penalties last year, are in mid season form with 17 in their first PS game.  I bet that vein of Jerry’s was popping out and he was beet red.

38 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I discovered the terrible truth of what happened to JJAW. He flew away with a teaspoon of sugar to help make the cut go down 

FB643F9B-A086-4F9C-A685-92751FDF8643.thumb.jpeg.4bb5e29d0c557d9e909c6baab1479362.jpeg

I hope Howie puts a picture of this guy in his office, right in front of his desk, to remind him of his monumental F*** up and to not do it again.

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Speaking of Jurgens, did anyone else notice how sharp and accurate his shotgun snaps were? It’s kind of comforting to think that that probably won’t be something we have to worry about for the next decade. It was always scary with Herbig at center because it felt like there was about a ten percent chance that the next snap would either bounce at the quarterback’s feet or sail over his head.

I was also very impressed with Jurgens’s knee bend when striking. He's really good at staying low and in proper balance. He was rarely off his feet. Some linemen are constantly going to the ground. He just seems so technically sound. Was Tyler Linderbaum really that much better of a prospect that he went a full round earlier?

Even so, I’d be quite happy if Dickerson, Kelce, and Seumalo play 95% of the snaps in the middle of the line this year and Jurgens is relegated to mop up duty in the closing minutes of wipeouts.

It’s funny you mention that because there was a time at Nebraska that he was really bad at snapping, and it really hurt the offense. His RS freshman year he had a bunch of high snaps. Of course he was new to the position, having moved from tight end the year before. He had an issue with trying to block with his offhand before he was done snapping the ball. It was weird. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Given that I thought the refs pretty much allowed players to play in the preseason game, there were still too many mistake penalties for the Eagles.  I was hoping we would see better discipline this season as I thought that was something there was to much of in Nick’s first season.  Still feel that way but am heartened that the cowpads, who led the league in penalties last year, are in mid season form with 17 in their first PS game.  I bet that vein of Jerry’s was popping out and he was beet red.

Just his nose from the booze

9 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Finally starts one week from tonight.  It's going to be great.

I doubt that! 😁

7 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Even Kelce snaps horrible at times. One of the few things he‘s messing up once in a while.

He sure had all the attention while Jurgens had none. I think it is because he is more of a classic center most teams are looking for. Big athlete coming from TE like Jurgens doesn‘t fit everyone. Our system does perfectly because of Kelce but on other teams his talents may have been underutilized I guess.

Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens… the future of our line sure is coming together nicely.

Yep, just imagine what a good qb could do behind this line

7 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

I hope Howie puts a picture of this guy in his office, right in front of his desk, to remind him of his monumental F*** up and to not do it again.

Without a bigger desk, there may not be enough room for more of those pictures.

11 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

That's a terrible take.

Why? He’s saying that the play is designed for the ball to come out very early and since everyone is covered, the play itself is dead so either run or try to by time.

My preference is still to throw the ball away but he can run so it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Why? He’s saying that the play is designed for the ball to come out very early and since everyone is covered, the play itself is dead so either run or try to by time.

My preference is still to throw the ball away but he can run so it is what it is.

That is not at all what he's saying and if it is, he worded that extremely poorly.

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

You continually miss the entire point. We have a great o-line, top 3 (if not the best) in the league. They provide great, clean pockets. Hurts just running out clean pockets because he has a timer in his head is not good. Stay in the pocket, shuffle if you have to, and let your WR's work their way open. Hurts should be like a point guard, distributing the ball to his playmakers. 

@Iggles_Phan provided an excellent breakdown of why Hurts process was bad. If this was a playoff game and he needed to play hero ball to make the play, then he'd get more leeway. This is freaking pre-season against a terrible defense. This is the time to practice his pocket awareness and sit tight. 

58 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Quick decisions = maybe good

Wrong decisions = bad 

2 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

You continually miss the entire point. We have a great o-line, top 3 (if not the best) in the league. They provide great, clean pockets. Hurts just running out clean pockets because he has a timer in his head is not good. Stay in the pocket, shuffle if you have to, and let your WR's work their way open. Hurts should be like a point guard, distributing the ball to his playmakers. 

@Iggles_Phan provided an excellent breakdown of why Hurts process was bad. If this was a playoff game and he needed to play hero ball to make the play, then he'd get more leeway. This is freaking pre-season against a terrible defense. This is the time to practice his pocket awareness and sit tight. 

Let alone the 4th play of the pre-season.  He immediately goes to his habit of rolling out of a clean pocket.  You'd hope he worked on that during the off-season and if he did, it didn't sink in.  

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I can't believe Tom Brady stuck around in those clean pockets all that time.  What a loser.  

Right. 

Though to be fair he got beat in the Super Bowl by former track star Nick Foles.

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

I very literally said he could have tried to by (sic) time.

Again, my point isn’t to say he made the best decision (he clearly didn’t as he got hit) but rather why HonestNFL’s take was "terrible.”

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

Again, my point isn’t to say he made the best decision (he clearly didn’t as he got hit) but rather why HonestNFL’s take was "terrible.”

...but his take was terrible.

1 minute ago, Thrive said:

Re-read his take.

He says "quick drops mean quick decisions need to be made" Yes, a quick drop should mean a quick throw. Let's say nobody was open when Hurts hit his drop (I'd like to see the All 22 if we can, but whatever). Now, WRs aren't open, but the pocket is clean. There's no need to now default to, "welp, nobody open after my drop, I better run backwards and then out of this clean pocket". That's Hurts default mode. When it should be, "OK, nobody open, but I have a clean pocket, let me move within the pocket and see if these guys can uncover, or maybe I can throw one of them open". ESPECIALLY in a pre-season game. 

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

But it is terrible.  What the hell is the mental clock he's talking about?  Hurts didn't even settle in to the pocket, he just runs away from the pocket.  Any smart QB would do the same thing.  Run away from the pocket. 

Archived