EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Same here.  We all hope so.  But to project him as part of a solid rotation after one preseason game is RTK wish-casting.  

well, no one said that. The original post just said the same thing  you agreed with. 

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I like the idea of the best 5 OL on the field.  I do not like the idea of trading away OL depth of players that are capable of being a starter at multiple positions.  

someone would be expendable.  Opeta, Driscoll?  Best news about Driscoll is that he's been healthy so far. 

Ok.  Go with that.  Again, wish casting based on part of one pre-season game. 

Do you think Hurts is a good QB based off of Friday night.   

No but I do think Jurgens is a good offensive lineman. I guess you woldnt know since you didnt watch the game. 

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Great.  You think he’s now a solid pro based off of Friday night?  

It looks like he may become a solid rotational player. 

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

There are straight up busts and busts taken with studs available at the same position.  If DK didn't become what he has, the JJAW bust, while still a bust, wouldn't feel as busty. 

Yeah but it's not like DK was a sure thing, lots of teams passed on him or took him off their boards all together because of the injury.

Having said that I barely knew who JJAW was when they picked him, I was like who???

Apparently Jeffrey Lurie knew who he was and that's what you get when owners make picks 

Stay in your lane Jeff 

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Josh Sweat- Decent, nothing great.  You'd want more out of your top DE.

BG:  We all love him.  But does anyone seriously expect much from him?

Barnett:  Sucks

Tarron Jackson:  Barely contributed in 2021. 

Matt Leo:  WHO??

Thats a "solid rotation”?   Please.  

Long time away but if Marcus Davenport hits free agency next offseason, i suspect that the eagles are likely very in on him considering he’s 25 and entering his prime. And I’m not sure the saints can afford him. 

but this year i still think DE is ok but like you said what are you getting from Graham after his injury and his age. Hoping for a big season but wouldn’t be surprised if we get declining graham due to injury and age. sweat is an solid starting DE. Barnett is what he is and is. fine in a backup role until he does something dumb. Like jackson but i think he’s just a rotational piece. Imo i think DE and S is a position they target next year in FA especially if someone like Davenport becomes available. 

@HazletonEagle I know your head is already bigger than a watermelon in general but I have to give you credit on your Joe Douglas hate. I have no idea what he brought to our organization at all and it looks like he’s spreading it into the Jets terribly.  "From the surface” it looks like Howie has absolutely nailed every draft since he left. Gee….what an amazing concept. Draft absolute studs from the SEC and look what happens. 

46 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Cut down to 75 by Tuesday.  Cut Fayad and Dunkle.  JJAW did not practice "non injury related”. Suspect he may be one of the cuts or invited to seek a trade.  Lots of other choices to go with this group.  Maybe one each from the DBs and WRs. 

I believe the number for Tuesday is 85 rather than 75

• August 16: 90 to 85 players
  • August 23: 85 to 80 players
  • August 30: 80 to 53 players

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

@HazletonEagle I know your head is already bigger than a watermelon in general but I have to give you credit on your Joe Douglas hate. I have no idea what he brought to our organization at all and it looks like he’s spreading it into the Jets terribly.  "From the surface” it looks like Howie has absolutely nailed every draft since he left. Gee….what an amazing concept. Draft absolute studs from the SEC and look what happens. 

LOL, MUWAHHHHHHHHHHHH, 

Just now, bpac55 said:

someone would be expendable.  Opeta, Driscoll?  Best news about Driscoll is that he's been healthy so far. 

I like keeping at least 9 OL on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yeah but it's not like DK was a sure thing, lots of teams passed on him or took him off their boards all together because of the injury.

Having said that I barely knew who JJAW was when they picked him, I was like who???

Apparently Jeffrey Lurie knew who he was and that's what you get when owners make picks 

Stay in your lane Jeff 

What's sad is that I knew who he was.  I remember thinking the Eagles just drafted the guy who was great at jump balls while at Stanford.  It did seem like every week there was a JJAW highlight of some sort from Saturdays.  Didn't like the pick because I wanted DK.  But at the same time thought he would bring SOMETHING to the table. 

2 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Denzel Mims sure does look like hot garbage. And that interception that Zach Wilson threw the other night wouldn’t exactly make me feel thrilled about his future.

If we had a solid rotation, Tarron Jackson wouldn’t be a "solid” part of the rotation, because he wouldn’t be in the rotation.   But since we don’t, he’s "solid” compared to the other players we have in the rotation.  Now it all makes sense.  

😂

Eureka GIFs | Tenor

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I like keeping at least 9 OL on the roster. 

So we have Mailata, Dickerson, Kelce, Seumalo, Johnson

Dillard and Jurgens make 7 locks. Opeta and Driscoll appear to be too but that's where you can get creative and trade one of those 2 if there is a taker.  

I think they really like Jack Anderson, Brett Toth (once healthy) and Awosika.  All of them offer postition versatility too.  

Sills should be on the PS and Clark shouldn't make the initial roster to avoid vet guarantee.  I don't think he makes the roster anyway.

I look at Opeta, Seumalo and Driscoll as your trade chips.  Seumalo would clear salary and you have to think a contending team might be interested.  

However it plays out, I think Jurgens belongs on the field.

Typical Howie Fluffing Pillar wish-casting.  You’re ready for the season, H.E.   You don’t need the next two PS games.  

I want 2 more. I need more evidence that Carson Strong is a solid rotation player. 

Just now, bpac55 said:

So we have Mailata, Dickerson, Kelce, Seumalo, Johnson

Dillard and Jurgens make 7 locks. Opeta and Driscoll appear to be too but that's where you can get creative and trade one of those 2 if there is a taker.  

I think they really like Jack Anderson, Brett Toth (once healthy) and Awosika.  All of them offer postition versatility too.  

Sills should be on the PS and Clark shouldn't make the initial roster to avoid vet guarantee.  I don't think he makes the roster anyway.

I look at Opeta, Seumalo and Driscoll as your trade chips.  Seumalo would clear salary and you have to think a contending team might be interested.  

However it plays out, I think Jurgens belongs on the field.

None of those 3 would excite me if he was asked to play more than spot duty.  

It would have to take a lot to pry Seumalo away from me.  He's a starting OG.  

7 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’ve given up on us targeting S outside of short veteran deals, like we’ve done in the past.  

Idk they were in on Marcus Williams. He chose the ravens over the eagles. how serious the eagles were or not is another story. I tend to think they won’t draft a S high but will look for someone in FA. That seems to be their MO going back to signing mcleod and jenkins after they missed with Allen and jarrett  

But is he part of a solid rotation?   That remains to be seen.  

I guess by your logic but Id still say any rotation lead by Hurts can not be solid. 1 solid player does not make a rotation.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

None of those 3 would excite me if he was asked to play more than spot duty.  

It would have to take a lot to pry Seumalo away from me.  He's a starting OG.  

Don't disagree but my argument is to get Jurgens on the field.  If that's the case, Seumalo is pretty expensive backup.  

I think Jack Anderson has more upside than we think.  I don't see it with Awosika but all we have are reports from the Philly twitter mob and they seem to like him. 

5 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Denzel Mims sure does look like hot garbage. And that interception that Zach Wilson threw the other night wouldn’t exactly make me feel thrilled about his future.

They both look terrible. I’ll give Douglas the benefit of the doubt since it’s the Jets and it seems like they need much more than a good talent evaluator, but since he left the Eagles, Howie has had a completely different draft approach the last 2 seasons.  He’s actually going after proven studs that have dominated in the toughest conference. 

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Don't disagree but my argument is to get Jurgens on the field.  If that's the case, Seumalo is pretty expensive backup.  

I think Jack Anderson has more upside than we think.  I don't see it with Awosika but all we have are reports from the Philly twitter mob and they seem to like him. 

I am not against Jurgens on the field.  Seumalo wouldn't be on the bench long.  Injuries happen.  Opeta already had to start in the first preseason game.  Having 6 'starting' OL works in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

When you have a bunch of average to below average players in a rotation, it’s hard for it to be solid.  But one of those pieces can kinda suck and also appear to be "solid” by comparison.  Like Jackson.  Whatever the opposite of  "a rising tide lifts all boats” is. 

Like if I lumped you in with a group of Afan, RTK and Bacarty.  You would be pretty damn solid.  So you for that going for you.  

OR, the rotation can be weak but one of those pieces can be kinda good. We will see if Jackson can keep it up.

Do you remember Smith in our WR corps last year?

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

I am not against Jurgens on the field.  Seumalo wouldn't be on the bench long.  Injuries happen.  Opeta already had to start in the first preseason game.  Having 6 'starting' OL works in the NFL.

and he did get destroyed on his first rep causing Hurts to roll right.

Ideally I would love for them to cross train Dillard at T/G but that won't be happening.  I want them to salvage that pick in to something besides a backup LT.

2023 could be Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, Dillard, Johnson if he was capable of learning G.  He busted it to get in shape this year so it's not like he's as mentally weak as a lot made out to be.  Then you have Toth/Opeta/Driscoll as your next men up. 

Smith was better than solid.  And came in with a hell of lot more cache than Tarron freaking Jackson.  

Or are you talking about AFan with this response? 

So, by your logic you are saying the WR corps was better than solid. interesting. 

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Then Hurts didn't have zero carries, which is a different narrative being pushed by some.

I agree though, the TD run was a good rep.  The Personal Foul run he made was a bad rep, and he was bailed out by the penalty.  It breaks both ways.

Sorry IP if you already covered this but why did you think the personal foul run was a bad rep?

Archived