EMB Blog: 2022 OTAs thru Pre-Season

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Any QB can get two TD's on a drive, tag me when he progresses to three. 

It's almost as comical as "Well he really had another like 7 passing TDs last season if you count the ones that didn't count!"

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

That's the macro view for sure.  I think people have a valid concern that he might be the same guy as last season, without any measureable improvement -- when that didn't have to be the case.

The team isn't heavily invested in Hurts. It's not like there will be a $30+ million dollar dead cap hit if they move on from him.  My guess is that they will without a 2nd thought unless he looks much better than last season.  I mean maybe they screw up and offer him some big extension in the offseason but I hope they learned their lesson from Wentz.  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

what was a good rep besides his on the run throw to quez which we knew he could do?

He made the right read on the jack stoll completion, it was a basic concept and a short throw and  one that looks like the same/similar play Wilson threw his Int on.

The crossing route to Watkins was a decent throw, again not tough but good ball placement got the ball out quick, too bad Watkins ran backwards.

The TD throw to goedert was pretty good, his footwork was a bit wonky but pretty good placement, wasn't a perfect throw but got the job done.

I think Siri was smart in giving him route combinations where he only had to read one side of the field, hurts isn't a guy that's going to work his way to the backside of a play, even his dumpoff to Sanders was a one side of the field read, Sanders looked to be the 3rd read according to O Sullivan's video and even though the ball placement wasn't perfect it was the right read, hurts could have easily taken off like he has in the past, so that was minimal improvement.

The 5 yard out to the short side of the field is a simple throw, it's a timing throw on a short drop and hurts never even gives it a chance which I'm guessing is because he doesnt trust his arm on that throw.

He's never shown good anticipation or timing so shouldn't be surprising that he struggles with those throws.

3 days after Hurts went 6/6, 80 yards, 2 TDs and a perfect 158.3 passer rating and the blog is still trying its hardest to nit pick and paint it as a bad showing. 

Either he will step up or he won't.  Feels like this Hurts discussion has run it course and we are just...

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

It's almost as comical as "Well he really had another like 7 passing TDs last season if you count the ones that didn't count!"

My favorite talking point. "It's not fair! Hurts should get credit for scoring TD's that only happened because of blatant penalties!"

16 minutes ago, Swoop said:

Also don't try to sell me that he went through all of his progressions. The receivers are barely out of their break and he's already lowered his head and took off.

I would guess they only have him reading half of the field.  

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I think Siri was smart in giving him route combinations where he only had to read one side of the field, hurts isn't a guy that's going to work his way to the backside of a play, 

I disagree and you illustrated why. He needs to work on these things because teams will adjust and shut it down. We saw it all last season unless the team was garbage.

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Either he will step up or he won't.  Feels like this Hurts discussion has run it course and we are just...

giphy.gif

Maybe that horse is just sleepy and he's beating him to wake him up🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, NCiggles said:

I would guess they only have him reading half of the field.  

Probably not wrong and that's a problem that many are chalking up to: "Eh, preseason" as if it'll magically change in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Cliftoma said:

giphy.gif

We were told all off season, Hurts was working with a QB guru and improving his mechanics, blah blah blah. We were told we couldn't discuss or criticize him then, because it was beaten to death.

We had OTAs and training camp start, and again, we were told not to criticize or discuss Hurts, because he's our starter for the year and we have to just live with it.

Now we have a preseason game, and again, you and Afan are crying that the discussion of Hurts is a dead horse.

So, when is it OK with you guys to discuss the most important position on the team? Do you want to offer up something else to discuss to get off the Hurts topic? By all means, raise a topic and if it's engaging, people will discuss.

If you don't want to discuss Hurts, scroll past, or wait until something you want to discuss comes up. Otherwise, STFU. 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

We sure about this

As sure as we are that you’re a Steelers fan 

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

We sure about this

No, we'll never know because our ultra hyper competitive coach won't allow an actual competition. 

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

If I could chime in....

Sunday-Day preseason football is dumb and I dont ever remember it happening. 

As far as results go, preseason is meaningless.

But the process matters.

And frankly, from the Tampa playoff game to today, nothing I've seen or read from Hurts has shown me that anything has changed. Sure, we'll likely beat up the crappy teams again. What happens when we face a good defense? 

1 minute ago, Swoop said:

I disagree and you illustrated why. He needs to work on these things because teams will adjust and shut it down. We saw it all last season unless the team was garbage.

Sorry I meant just for that game. It was a pretty vanilla pre season game plan and the D was pretty vanilla as well.

Most teams in preseason play a lot of zone flooding a zone is one way to counter that.

Now if siri comes out game 1 calling just one side of the field route combinations all game like you said it's going to be tough sledding for hurts and the eagles offense especially when playing better defenses than the jets, which is most defenses.

If hurts comes out game 1 and shows he can read more than just one side of the field then we may have something going forward 

I have zero reason to believe he will but him as the starting QB for now is what it is.🤷‍♂️

8 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

We were told all off season, Hurts was working with a QB guru and improving his mechanics, blah blah blah. We were told we couldn't discuss or criticize him then, because it was beaten to death.

We had OTAs and training camp start, and again, we were told not to criticize or discuss Hurts, because he's our starter for the year and we have to just live with it.

Now we have a preseason game, and again, you and Afan are crying that the discussion of Hurts is a dead horse.

So, when is it OK with you guys to discuss the most important position on the team? Do you want to offer up something else to discuss to get off the Hurts topic? By all means, raise a topic and if it's engaging, people will discuss.

If you don't want to discuss Hurts, scroll past, or wait until something you want to discuss comes up. Otherwise, STFU. 

Dude smoke a doob or something. 

And yes I don't think 3 days of analyzing one f'n play in preseason is very engaging or interesting.  It is one play and it is f'n stupid to extrapolate whether that one play will determine the outcome of the entire season.  I get that the QB is the most important position on the field but jeezus get a life!

Just now, Cliftoma said:

And yes I don't think 3 days of analyzing one f'n play in preseason is very engaging or interesting.  It is one play and it is f'n stupid to extrapolate whether that one play will determine the outcome of the season.  I get that the QB is the most important position on the field but jeezus get a life!

Make me brah

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It's the starting Qb in Philly, that almost got knocked the F out on a dumb play where some people are calling it a good play.  It's gonna be discussed.  Especially since it's all we'll see of him, most likely, until 9/11.

Speaking of which, I think that is a dirty play all day long.  Led with his head, up high.  That's not even taken into account it was out of bounds in the freaking preseason.  

Did he end up getting fined at all for it? Should be a suspension, IF the NFL was actually serious about player safety. 

1 minute ago, Cliftoma said:

Like you need to tell him that

Just now, Cliftoma said:

And yes I don't think 3 days of analyzing one f'n play in preseason is very engaging or interesting.  It is one play and it is f'n stupid to extrapolate whether that one play will determine the outcome of the season.  I egt that the QB is the most important position on the field but jeezus get a life!

God help us if the eagles lose to the lions week 1. This place is going to burn to the ground if that happens. 

spacer.png

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yet, certain posters still obsess about a QB that isn't even on the team.  

I don't even engage that moron 99.9% of the time and don't bother reading what he says. All of his posts are the same.

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Make me brah

We're gonna have to recriminalize pot to give you something else to complain about    

See the source image

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

God help us if the eagles lose to the lions week 1. This place is going to burn to the ground if that happens. 

spacer.png

I buy into the theory that Week 1 is the absolute worst time of the year to draw the Lions. But they should still beat them relatively easy unless it's one of those dumpster fire games we only play against the Giants. 

Also if you are betting on it, wait all day to place it. Hard Knocks is going to cause the line to come down. 

6 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Those werent "good" plays. Those were plays that the majority of QB's can make in there sleep. 

He had dump off right to Miles, Screen pass to Miles, dump off in the middle to Stoll and dump off middle to Quez. 

And, even on the Touchdown it look liked Chad Pennington throwing a high arching ball(15 yards in the air) and DG had to wait for it, meaning Hurts was late on the timing.

I'm shocked when people give Hurts A, or B+ 

Look man I'm the last person on here that's going to defend hurts, I think he's a backup at best 

And while the throws above werent elite throws they weren't awful or bad 

Like you said they are throws most NFL qbs routinely make.

The only throw I thought ,wow that was a really good throw was his first in the run, good accuracy good zip but we all knew hurts could make that throw.

It's other throws like 5 yard timing out routes to the short side of the field that most NFL qbs can make in their sleep that hurts struggle with.

I'm not going to bury hurts for his performance against the jets in the pre season nor am I going to elevate him to God status like some after a meaningless pre season game against a trash team.

I'm waiting for game 1, I think defenses have hurts pegged and will defend him the same way the BUCS did, if he struggles against that I won't be surprised if he shows he can beat it I'll be beyond surprised.

We'll see what happens, my exie rations for hurts are pretty low, my expectations for the team are much higher.

Not sure they can overcome hurts limitations.

Archived