EMB Blog: 2022 Post-Season - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

My mindset going into the combine: if Howie can somehow, someway get Jalen Carter, then make that deal with the devil. Trade both 1’s, sell your kidney, whatever it takes. Couple teams trade into the top 5 for QBs and suddenly he may be available at 5 or 6. We may be able to swing that for 10th overall and NO’s 2024 2nd. I think the drop off in talent for this draft is severe. Not only after Jalen and Will, but a Lot of people saying they’re struggling to find 18 guys with first round grades.

If that’s not possible, then just do whatever. Trade both picks, combined them for some megadeal, whatever. Though I do like Brian Branch and it’d be sweet if he and CJGJ were our 2023 safeties.

Jalen or wing it

I just don’t see anything special at all in Jalen Carter.  I’d rather use pick #10 on Bijan Robinson than trade up for Jalen Carter.  At least with Robinson we could quit using our franchise QB as our power RB 

• Replies 37.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t have concerns about Hurts regressing, but I do have concerns that once he gets paid, the draft is going to become even more so important, especially on defense, and we don’t have a strong recent history of drafting and developing great defensive players. Hurts was great this year, but he didn’t do it alone, and I’d hate to see him be a great QB on a team that won’t be more than mediocre because it proves difficult to put a team around him. 

That’s been my thinking most of the year, but after yesterday, is good defense really that important? I mean we had one of the best defenses in the league, yet we got no pass rush (because of the field, mostly), and they had WRs running WIDE open all game. Travis Kelce has no one around him. If the goal is to win a Championship and the best QBs in the league make it to the big game, it almost nullifies the defense. We might as well have had the Giants defense yesterday. 

That said, the field conditions severely impacted our pass rush, which is the strength of the team. 

It’s really, really difficult to watch these games and this team all year, all to build up to a f-ed up field and game deciding officiating. We put a lot of emotion into this, only to have factors that shouldn’t be factors mess it up. I’m getting pretty over it

The one thing I hope Hurts works on this off-season is getting with a private acting coach. I get that the script said "QB fumble, Chiefs return for a TD” but he didn’t make it look believable at all. 

1 minute ago, blindside said:

That’s been my thinking most of the year, but after yesterday, is good defense really that important? I mean we had one of the best defenses in the league, yet we got no pass rush (because of the field, mostly), and they had WRs running WIDE open all game. Travis Kelce has no one around him. If the goal is to win a Championship and the best QBs in the league make it to the big game, it almost nullifies the defense. We might as well have had the Giants defense yesterday. 

That said, the field conditions severely impacted our pass rush, which is the strength of the team. 

It’s really, really difficult to watch these games and this team all year, all to build up to a f-ed up field and game deciding officiating. We put a lot of emotion into this, only to have factors that shouldn’t be factors mess it up. I’m getting pretty over it

I think you load up on offense (especially OL) and build a mid-tier defense, then hope you can get a big INT or fumble recovery at the right time. 

1 minute ago, blindside said:

I understand the league favors offense, and has for some time, but I still think you need some semblance of a defense. You need to kill a few drives with sacks and turnovers. Especially in the 2nd half of games. We got off to an 8-0 start in large part due to turnover differential and racking up sacks. Last night, we had neither. 

4 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I just don’t see anything special at all in Jalen Carter.  I’d rather use pick #10 on Bijan Robinson than trade up for Jalen Carter.  At least with Robinson we could quit using our franchise QB as our power RB 

I want the texas tech DE or skoronski

I really think we need to have a tame outlook to the off-season.  The Eagles have minimum money to spend and I'm pretty sure those projections didn't include Jason Kelce coming back in 2023.  Right now, if Kelce decides to come back, the two contracts you MUST sign are CJGJ and Jason Kelce.  Not sure how accurate, but I read that if they extend Hargrave, that opens up $10 million in cap space.  Not sure how that difffers if he just walks?

We currently have 6 draft picks, none in rounds 4-6, where depth should be built.  Howie has proven he sucks at drafting on defense and that he is far better off at veteran trades than scouting college players.

So let's say they bring back CJGJ, Kelce and BG.  You migt have some extra cash to sign a few backup level players, otherwise the Eagles are reloading this team from within.  That goes all the way from starters to key backups. 

Just from free agency, you're going to have holes at:

DE2 - Sorry guys, Derek Barnett or potential vet trade (See below)

CB2- This is filled by the other 1st or 2nd.  Joey Porter is who I have my eye on

LB1- Nakobe Dean

LB2- I'm going to pound this drum up until FA/draft but I think the Eagles are going to plug Davion Taylor in at LB2.

S2- Reed Blankenship

DT1- Milton Williams

DT2- Jordan Davis

RG- Cam Jurgens

RB1- draft pick

RB2- Kenny Gainwell

OL6- Sua Opeta/Brett Toth

QB2- Phillip Walker/draft pick

WR3- draft pick

Then you look at the holes created by current players moving up to starting roles:

DE3- BG

DE4/rush LB- Tarron Jackson/Patrick Johnson/Kyron Johnson

DT3- draft pick

DT4- Marlon Tuipulotu

RB3- Trey Sermon

S3- Andre Chachere, he was a solid player in this role in 2022.

LB3- Christian Ellis

Now, a huge curveball I'm looking at is a draft day trade using one of the 1st round picks or 2nd round pick to trade for a young veteran DL.  I'm looking at Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Chase Young.  Quinnen Williams next to Jordan Davis and Milton Williams would be incredible. Would the Jets part ways for an extra 1st?  Is Washington going to pay Young after his injury or would an extra 1st entice them?  I think a 2nd gets Oliver. 

I just think we need to prepare for a lot of players currently on the roster taking on bigger roles rather than any big splashes. 

17 minutes ago, Thrive said:

I wouldn’t rest on those thoughts. Who is best can change very quickly as we can tell in Jalen’s case. There are other QBs in the NFC that can have phenomenal years.

Then there’s Justin Fields. I see him as a more physically talented version of Jalen if he ever puts it all together and they provide him the right weapon.

Again, nothing is guaranteed except for last night’s opportunity and we blew it.

We have nothing else to do right now but to rest on our optimism. But it's not exactly without logic. Maybe he won't be, but you'd be hard pressed to give me someone definitively better in the NFC. That isn't nothing.

As an side though, I'm wondering after last night how much of the success this season was Jalen Hurts covering up problems. And I mean "wonder" literally, not rhetorically. I'm legit wondering.

The Eagles formula all season: Get a big lead, bring pressure on other teams that need to pass, win.

The offense was built around the RPO game and their dominant run game that relied heavily on Hurts' abilities. Which in turn helped the defense and how they played.

When the Eagles had a game where they didn't have a big lead or they faced competent QBs, we noticed a pretty significant drop off from the defense. Goff lit them up, Rodgers played really well against them with a bum hand, Prescott lit them up, Heinecke lit them up. The one good QB they stifled was Cousins(but it was MNF Cousins).

And on top of that we saw how they played this year in the ultra small sample without Hurts. And in the one game with him where he wasn't able to run.

So basically, as great as Hurts was this year, maybe the Eagles weren't quite as good as we thought and they were a little "exposed" last night. And I put exposed on quotes, because I don't mean truly exposed. The Eagles still had a great team with a great roster. But maybe Hurts truly was that freaking good this year that he made other parts of the team look better than they actually were, and combined that with the fact that the Eagles got a lot of schedule breaks along the way(and credit to them for taking advantage of them) the Chiefs kind of knocked us down a peg and this was just a great team with a QB who has ascended to a whole other level of greatness rather than a historically great team.

9 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Neither of these scenarios is appealing to me. Eagles have a 10 or more holes to fill. Not about moving up. But definitely not for drafting a RB in the top 10. When is the last time that worked out? Look at the leading rushers for the last 20 super bowl winners. It's always low paid guys. 

7 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I really think we need to have a tame outlook to the off-season.  The Eagles have minimum money to spend and I'm pretty sure those projections didn't include Jason Kelce coming back in 2023.  Right now, if Kelce decides to come back, the two contracts you MUST sign are CJGJ and Jason Kelce.  Not sure how accurate, but I read that if they extend Hargrave, that opens up $10 million in cap space.  Not sure how that difffers if he just walks?

We currently have 6 draft picks, none in rounds 4-6, where depth should be built.  Howie has proven he sucks at drafting on defense and that he is far better off at veteran trades than scouting college players.

So let's say they bring back CJGJ, Kelce and BG.  You migt have some extra cash to sign a few backup level players, otherwise the Eagles are reloading this team from within.  That goes all the way from starters to key backups. 

CB2- This is filled by the other 1st or 2nd.  Joey Porter is who I have my eye on

LB1- Nakobe Dean

LB2- I'm going to pound this drum up until FA/draft but I think the Eagles are going to plug Davion Taylor in at LB2.

S2- Reed Blankenship

DT1- Milton Williams

DT2- Jordan Davis

RG- Cam Jurgens

RB1- draft pick

RB2- Kenny Gainwell

WR3- draft pick

Then you look at the holes created by current players moving up to starting roles:

DE3- BG

DT3- draft pick

DT4- Marlon Tuipulotu

RB3- Trey Sermon

LB3- Christian Ellis

Now, a huge curveball I'm looking at is a draft day trade using one of the 1st round picks or 2nd round pick to trade for a young veteran DL.  I'm looking at Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, Chase Young.  Quinnen Williams next to Jordan Davis and Milton Williams would be incredible. Would the Jets part ways for an extra 1st?  Is Washington going to pay Young after his injury or would an extra 1st entice them?  I think a 2nd gets Oliver. 

I just think we need to prepare for a lot of players currently on the roster taking on bigger roles rather than any big splashes. 

Use a second rounder to get a cheap backup Qb. 

2 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

We have nothing else to do right now but to rest on our optimism. But it's not exactly without logic. Maybe he won't be, but you'd be hard pressed to give me someone definitively better in the NFC. That isn't nothing.

As an side though, I'm wondering after last night how much of the success this season was Jalen Hurts covering up problems. And I mean "wonder" literally, not rhetorically. I'm legit wondering.

The Eagles formula all season: Get a big lead, bring pressure on other teams that need to pass, win.

The offense was built around the RPO game and their dominant run game that relied heavily on Hurts' abilities. Which in turn helped the defense and how they played.

When the Eagles had a game where they didn't have a big lead or they faced competent QBs, we noticed a pretty significant drop off from the defense. Goff lit them up, Rodgers played really well against them with a bum hand, Prescott lit them up, Heinecke lit them up. The one good QB they stifled was Cousins(but it was MNF Cousins).

And on top of that we saw how they played this year in the ultra small sample without Hurts. And in the one game with him where he wasn't able to run.

So basically, as great as Hurts was this year, maybe the Eagles weren't quite as good as we thought and they were a little "exposed" last night. And I put exposed on quotes, because I don't mean truly exposed. The Eagles still had a great team with a great roster. But maybe Hurts truly was that freaking good this year that he made other parts of the team look better than they actually were, and combined that with the fact that the Eagles got a lot of schedule breaks along the way(and credit to them for taking advantage of them) the Chiefs kind of knocked us down a peg and this was just a great team with a QB who has ascended to a whole other level of greatness rather than a historically great team.

There are far-reaching implications to this that impacts even Nick S. 

But I do remember several games earlier in the season where Kelce specifically indicated that Jalen was the determining factor between the two teams so I don’t think you are far off.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Use a second rounder to get a cheap backup Qb. 

Flips page of NFL script back to 2018...hmmmm. 

Just got the first "Nick Sirianni should be fired" WIP call of the offseason just now. I'm surprised it took until 7:30 pm

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Flips page of NFL script back to 2018...hmmmm. 

Sometimes sequels are good. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Sometimes sequels are good. 

Or sometimes you get Dumb and Dumber 2 When Harry met Lloyd.   

17 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I'm not thrilled with Carter either. I like Tyree Wilson but he's probably gone by 10. Man, I really like the idea of Robinson in this offense. But I think there's close to zero percent chance they go RB in round 1. Robinson is a top 20 pick easily. 

1 minute ago, Sack that QB said:

Just got the first "Nick Sirianni should be fired" WIP call of the offseason just now. I'm surprised it took until 7:30 pm

We have a great fan base we really do but sometimes it can be embarrassing 

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

LB1- Nakobe Dean

S2- Reed Blankenship

DT1- Milton Williams

DT2- Jordan Davis

RG- Cam Jurgens

RB1- draft pick

RB2- Kenny Gainwell

WR3- draft pick

DE3- BG

DT3- draft pick

DT4- Marlon Tuipulotu

RB3- Trey Sermon

LB3- Christian Ellis

I feel you on this. I think next year is going to be a big step back... rebuilding for 2024. I don't have much confidence in Nakobe Dean. Never loved the pick. I think if the coaches had any confidence in him, we would have seen him more this year. 

9 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I understand the league favors offense, and has for some time, but I still think you need some semblance of a defense. You need to kill a few drives with sacks and turnovers. Especially in the 2nd half of games. We got off to an 8-0 start in large part due to turnover differential and racking up sacks. Last night, we had neither. 

i understand the hate for gannon but i really believe that our inexperience players on d was the reason why were struggling, especially the middle our linebackers cant make plays, epps getting torched. i really think if we had another experienced safety and two linebackers, i think it would have been a different outcome. the 2017 roster was deep on d especially with experienced players, that's why brady was struggling in that sb, if it was this roster, we probably would have never won that sb.

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Or sometimes you get Dumb and Dumber 2 When Harry met Lloyd.   

I’m for it. Willing to take the risk. 

2 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

i understand the hate for gannon but i really believe that our inexperience players on d was the reason why were struggling, especially the middle our linebackers cant make plays, epps getting torched. i really think if we had another experienced safety and two linebackers, i think it would have been a different outcome. the 2017 roster was deep on d especially with experienced players, that's why brady was struggling in that sb, if it was this roster, we probably would have never won that sb.

Brady threw for 505 yards 

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

LB1- Nakobe Dean

S2- Reed Blankenship

DT1- Milton Williams

DT2- Jordan Davis

RG- Cam Jurgens

RB1- draft pick

RB2- Kenny Gainwell

WR3- draft pick

DE3- BG

DT3- draft pick

DT4- Marlon Tuipulotu

RB3- Trey Sermon

LB3- Christian Ellis

We’re in a win-now window, even if we need some heavy retooling on defense. There’s no way Howie is going to let the defense erode to nothing. He’ll find some money. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

We’re in a win-now window, even if we need some heavy retooling on defense. There’s no way Howie is going to let the defense erode to nothing. He’ll find some money. 

How? With about 12 free agents and a big contract to Hurts... gotta think this next year is a reset and down year with a reload for 2024/2025. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

spacer.png

Archived