DCU Thread

BFit

I'll give it a chance, but here is where you see the difference between DC and Marvel.  Marvel made a commitment to its characters and actors so we know only one actor for a character (except for The Hulk with Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo and War Machine with Terrance Howard and Don Cheadle, though the latter is a secondary character), where DC we have how many Batmans now?  Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Georger Clooney, Christian Bale, and now Robert Pattinson?  And how many Supermans?  Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, and Henry Cavill? 

Shows the difference between a long term game plan and just doing whatever you feel like at the time or constant reboots.  The DC cartoon films are better than the live ones.

4 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

I'll give it a chance, but here is where you see the difference between DC and Marvel.  Marvel made a commitment to its characters and actors so we know only one actor for a character (except for The Hulk with Ed Norton and Mark Ruffalo and War Machine with Terrance Howard and Don Cheadle, though the latter is a secondary character), where DC we have how many Batmans now?  Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Georger Clooney, Christian Bale, and now Robert Pattinson?  And how many Supermans?  Christopher Reeve, Brandon Routh, and Henry Cavill? 

Shows the difference between a long term game plan and just doing whatever you feel like at the time or constant reboots.  The DC cartoon films are better than the live ones.

Marvel only has a handful of directors that they turn too. DC pins everyone against each other like it's a competition. DC just handles things in such a sheety way guys like Nolan just make their movies then get out because they will then let another director come in make a different version that doesn't fit what the last guy did so you can't fit them together. 

Joker movie is a perfect example of this. They had the Jared Leto joker who was awful but, the put him in with the Snyder universe. Just to turn around and let someone make a completely different Joker with Phoenix who was a lot better then Leto but, he has nothing to do with the Snyder movies so they can't fit him in. 

My hopes are with how dark and serious The Batman is going to be, they will be able to fit the Phoenix Joker in. Given how serious and dark the Joker was they could easily mesh those 2 together. 

And I forgot to add Ben Affleck to the list of Batmen.  So that's at least 6 different ones.  You are right that DC handles it like ish and seemingly without a cohesive and uniform game plan.  Their studio is a hot mess and with the characters they have to work with there's no excuse for them to be as bad as they are.  If someone had some brains and balls over there they'd fire the entire lot and start over with a whole new group of people with a vision and commitment to going in the same direction.

2 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

And I forgot to add Ben Affleck to the list of Batmen.  So that's at least 6 different ones.  You are right that DC handles it like ish and seemingly without a cohesive and uniform game plan.  Their studio is a hot mess and with the characters they have to work with there's no excuse for them to be as bad as they are.  If someone had some brains and balls over there they'd fire the entire lot and start over with a whole new group of people with a vision and commitment to going in the same direction.

DC is being run like the Eagles. With the meddlesome owner being Warner Bros. It's a shame really. They have been a an Eff up going all the way back to freaking Burton Batman and WB getting involved telling him what he needs to do. 

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

DC is being run like the Eagles. With the meddlesome owner being Warner Bros. It's a shame really. They have been a an Eff up going all the way back to freaking Burton Batman and WB getting involved telling him what he needs to do. 

Uh, you saying Batman 89 was a F up?

Pretty sure it’s the grand-daddy of modern comic book movies. 

The next three were hot piles of garbage, but 89 was pretty good. 

The DC movies that have been ish lately were the Snyder-verse ones. MoS was alright, but then they just gave a mediocre director reins to the franchise, and then were shocked and appalled that an average director made an average movie.

When you look at some of the greatest comic book movies of all time, most of them are DC. The issue is that when DC Fs up, they really screw the pooch. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Uh, you saying Batman 89 was a F up?

Pretty sure it’s the grand-daddy of modern comic book movies. 

The next three were hot piles of garbage, but 89 was pretty good. 

The DC movies that have been ish lately were the Snyder-verse ones. MoS was alright, but then they just gave a mediocre director reins to the franchise, and then were shocked and appalled that an average director made an average movie.

When you look at some of the greatest comic book movies of all time, most of them are DC. The issue is that when DC Fs up, they really screw the pooch. 

No that's not what I'm saying at all. They let Burton do his thing for Batman 89 and Batman returns they were both great in my opinion.

Michael Keaton and Tim Burton were supposed to do the 3rd one but, WB stepped in because they didn't like Batman Returns and wanted Burton to do it differently and since Keaton was a Tim Burton guy they both baled. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No that's not what I'm saying at all. They let Burton do his thing for Batman 89 and Batman returns they were both great in my opinion.

Michael Keaton and Tim Burton were supposed to do the 3rd one but, WB stepped in because they didn't like Batman Returns and wanted Burton to do it differently and since Keaton was a Tim Burton guy they both baled. 

Ah ok yeah that makes sense.

Returns for me wasn’t as strong as 89, but holy ish can’t get much more worse than any of the following two. Which is odd because it was the same director that did Falling Down. 

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

Ah ok yeah that makes sense.

Returns for me wasn’t as strong as 89, but holy ish can’t get much more worse than any of the following two. Which is odd because it was the same director that did Falling Down. 

Yes falling down was an amazing movie too. 

41 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yes falling down was an amazing movie too. 

Between the abominations which were Batman 3 and 4 Schumacher proceeded to make one of best films of 90’s with A Time to Kill. Guy just couldn’t pull of comic book movies apparently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homerpat said:

Between the abominations which were Batman 3 and 4 Schumacher proceeded to make one of best films of 90’s with A Time to Kill. Guy just couldn’t pull of comic book movies apparently. 

It's like Ang Lee making Hulk.  They thought comic book gimmicks instead of just making a good movie that happens to be based on a comic book.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:23 AM, Green_Guinness said:

Forgot spiderman..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Forgot spiderman..

Good point.  However, since Spidey is technically owned by Sony and doesn't really have a true home and is 'leased' out to the MCU so Sony don't appear to be dbags then it's not entirely proper to include the character as part of the Russos/Favreau MCU.  And probably after Batman and Superman he's the #3 popular superhero character as witnessed by the cheers of fans from certain Endgame clips where he got the biggest cheer of all the MCU characters from people in the theaters during the "On your left" scene.

Though, there is clip where Thanos is beating on Thor and you see Mjolnir rise up and the audience (in a theater in India) just goes ape ish bonkers.  One comment says "I didn't know they built a cinema inside a zoo" and it's spot on.  It sounds like the movie is being played in the monkey house of a zoo, but apparently that's how audiences react in India.  One person clearly says "Captain" upon seeing Mjolnir lift off the ground and the comments are like "Rest of the theater:  So, how would you like to die?".  Pretty damned funny. 

Time travel and multi-verses are so hot right now.  I didn't know Michael Keaton's Batman was going to be in this.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Time travel and multi-verses are so hot right now.  I didn't know Michael Keaton's Batman was going to be in this.

Meh

If it’s Flashpoint Paradox could be amazing, but with the Batman thing not sure where they’re going.

Flash has always been a timeline character 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:23 AM, Green_Guinness said:

You're going back to 1978 with the original Superman. :lol:  You can't have the same actors play these roles forever.  But the recent DCEU I agree it would have been better to have a long-term plan.

One aspect people don't often realize with the reboots/remakes of the same character is that contractually the company that owns the rights has to make a movie with the character every so often or else they lose the rights and they can be sold to someone else.  That's why Sony did the Andrew Garfield Spidey movies which were completely unnecessary.  Because they didn't want to lose the rights to the character.

Marvel created their own studio and set the world building blue print where they can choose the production crew, actors, control how their stories are brought to life, etc.  They also mostly nailed all the casting so well.

Warner Bros got stuck because in 2005 they made Batman Begins and started Nolan's trilogy of Batman movies.  The Dark Knight came out in 2008 the same year Iron Man came out.  Later when the MCU really took off and DC had to catch up, Nolan and Bale didn't want to do any more movies.  They offered Bale $50 million to make another movie and he said no.  

Affleck was actually a good Batman/Bruce Wayne, he was the only good part of BvS.  It was a gloomier, more violent take and made him a real bad ass that criminals feared again.  But he was frustrated by the production and got his own writing partner to work with him to re-write the Batman parts of the script.  They made Batman kinda silly and not as cool in the JL movies.  

Then the standalone Joker movie with Phoenix while it was good, it was set in an older time and out of place with the DCEU and the Leto Joker in the movies set in current times, now this new movie with all new cast.  It looks pretty good, but where does it fit in the DCEU?  And is there a road map for where they're going in the future?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

That's why Sony did the Andrew Garfield Spidey movies which were completely unnecessary. 

Unfortunately I'm the only one on the planet that liked those movies lol

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The first one wasn't bad, and it gave a new villain.  I liked a bit of the sarcastic version of Peter, even though Garfield was still older it had more teen vibe.  Toby did a good enough job in the first one but was too old and had no personality.  Holland really is the best IMO.  The Garfield Spidey also tried being trendy or something with the video game POV sequence and to use skateboarding Footloose type sequence which were dumb.

But Emma Stone was in it, and I absolutely can't stand Kirsten Dunst.

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The first one wasn't bad, and it gave a new villain.  I liked a bit of the sarcastic version of Peter, even though Garfield was still older it had more teen vibe.  Toby did a good enough job in the first one but was too old and had no personality.  Holland really is the best IMO.  The Garfield Spidey also tried being trendy or something with the video game POV sequence and to use skateboarding Footloose type sequence which were dumb.

But Emma Stone was in it, and I absolutely can't stand Kirsten Dunst.

Toby killed my love for Spider-Man after the first one. He had such a punchable face so does Dunst lol. Garfield brought me back to loving it again and I didn't hate the 2nd one as much as most.

Tom Holland is definitely perfect for it while the action sequences were great for " far away from home" the plot holes made it not as good as it could of been.

I'm skeptical of the 3rd one it's giving me the 3rd movie vibe of trying to do to much and squeeze everything possible into because it's the last one. 

Real excited for the flash movie. Looks like he might get a real good costume upgrade. Wasn't a fan of his look in JL. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

My son-in-law liked them as well, but his tastes are pretty pedestrian.

1 minute ago, sameaglesfan said:

My son-in-law liked them as well, but his tastes are pretty pedestrian.

Not sure if that was a shot lol. It's not like I owned them or watched them over and over. I just enjoyed them and wouldn't have minded them doing the 3rd one. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Not sure if that was a shot lol. It's not like I owned them or watched them over and over. I just enjoyed them and wouldn't have minded them doing the 3rd one. 

He's calling you a child! :lol:

• Sad 1