Moderation transparency

Moderator6

Just now, EaglePhan1986 said:

I’m here for chaos… just like you

I'm here for righteousness and harmony.  I'm here so there can be peace and just football talk.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I'm here for righteousness and harmony.  I'm here so there can be peace and just football talk.  

😂

I’ll miss you 

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's ok though. They began their attacks though, so rather than allow them to control things (or feel as if they were), I opted to show everyone what they (whoever is included in 'they') were attempting to do. 

You can't allow 'bullies' to feel like they're winning or controlling anything. You have to expose them for what they are. Are all of the names that have been mentioned involved? I can't say. It may be a single individual. Maybe another individual aided him. Maybe 3 or 4 people. I don't know. But I put out the facts that are known to me, so that everyone can see and know what's going on. Transparency. 

This is one of those situations where people don't understand what it takes to run something like this, either from a time or technical standpoint - or how their own behavior and petty emotional immaturity make it even harder to do so.

Reading through this I'd think you were dealing with a bunch of teenage girls, only not hot, instead of a group of football fans who are supposed to be sharing camaraderie over a team.

Yikes. Get a grip everybody. It's a free bloody forum (aside from the generous donations from my estate).

Thin-skinned basket cases. Try not to ruin the draft.

Shameless brown-nosing: thanks VA and mods and please don't ban my clones

23 minutes ago, Mola Ram said:

10 POINTS AND I'LL RIP YOUR HEART OUT!

The voice we need in these challenging times.  🖤

I wish nobody ever had to be banned. I don't get it ... really. People pick and choose their battles, but often sacrifice the things they enjoy (like posting on a certain message board and/or with a certain group of "internet friends." ) There's no way everybody will "get" everybody . "Tone" is often just a perception we make up when we read someone else's posts. If I'm getting bent out of shape over something someone else posted, maybe I need to look at myself first. I'm not going to change anybody else or change anybody else's mind by arguing. I'm not and my opinions are not so important that if I'm gone this place will come crumbling down or something. Life will go on. 

I'm not going to pretend that I found every internet persona to be "likable." But regardless of the differences I've had with people on the forums, there's not 1 person I can think of that I don't believe I could watch Eagles games with in person. 

Finally, it is my opinion that going out of your way to get banned on purpose is just a waste of everybody's time. Message board martyrdom is all for nothing.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Thisll all die down, and Ill be happy discussing football and staying out of trouble. Its just really hard to get past the 4-0 scorecard for RTKs side. In the end, thats what happened here. So its hard to trust. Did they do all of the stuff they got banned for? Yes. But did they receive proper protection? I dont believe so, and it only exacerbated the situation and made them more bold in effort to stand up for themselves. 

If handled differently, and more fairly, I believe some of them had a chance to stop short of getting banned.

In the future, it wont matter, because this is done. But... I was just trying to help see if we couldnt improve these procedures to result in less banns, and less guys flying off the deep end over it, and feeding that endless cycle until they are all gone. 

It ended 4-0.... and I saw that coming from before even one of them was banned. I just wanted to try to help avoid it.

You can see if that way and nothing I've said has made a difference to change your mind, that's fine.  I've repeated myself enough about the history of those 4 and their multiple infractions over years and refusal to change.  

There is no "RTK side" so I don't know who would represent the "0" in your 4-0 reference.  You keep talking about race baiters and I addressed that and how they responded to their warnings vs the 4.  So you could argue in your 4-0 scenario:  4 people kept going, 0 people did not and that's why they didn't get banned.  

This is the problem with childish notions of "sides" and internet drama.  There are no "sides."  We're a community on a discussion board with rules.  I don't give an ish about "sides."  I gave RTK warnings and a suspension, earlier I told him to stop going after you or he's getting a warning.  I don't care about your made up internet drama.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moderator6 said:

You can see if that way and nothing I've said has made a difference to change your mind, that's fine.  I've repeated myself enough about the history of those 4 and their multiple infractions over years and refusal to change.  

There is no "RTK side" so I don't know who would represent the "0" in your 4-0 reference.  You keep talking about race baiters and I addressed that and how they responded to their warnings vs the 4.  So you could argue in your 4-0 scenario:  4 people kept going, 0 people did not and that's why they didn't get banned.  

This is the problem with childish notions of "sides" and internet drama.  There are no "sides."  We're a community on a discussion board with rules.  I don't give an ish about "sides."  I gave RTK warnings and a suspension, earlier I told him to stop going after you or he's getting a warning.  I don't care about your made up internet drama.  

There were definitely sides going at each other. I named the guys who backed RTK. Everyone knows 4for4 and DUM on the other side and the two who were banned more recently.

I know you gave the RTK side warning points here and there. But slap on the wrist once in a while, compared to multiple suspensions and eventual bans just isnt equal. 

I cant possibly go back through threads and point out al the times these guys were baited. Their downfall was always feeling the need to respond. And I pleaded with them to just let it go. But in a sense, when it comes to stuff like racism, its hard to blame them for feeling like they need to squash that. And expecting more severe punishment for that sort of thing vs calling people morons and stuff.

Im sure if they felt it was more equal, that would have calmed them down a bit. Some were wired for self destruct mode anyway. But I dont think it needed to be 4. Some of them got to the point where they became so frustrated by it, they just said F this place. Which youd think would take a lot for guys who helped support it and posted here for so long.

As I said earlier, you think you did a good job. If you're unwilling to consider the possibility that this could have possibly gone any other way, then this just wont be productive and we will go in circles forever. I dont want that. Im hoping my diarrhea is done. Its already too late for those guys anyway.

4 grown men who made conscious decisions to continue to be disruptive...in spite of numerous warnings... are not victims. This whole notion of competing sides is ridiculous. We are each individually responsible for our behavior.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Downundermike would go into the blog and tell people to go into another thread (usually the Hurts thread) and bully someone. He constantly would bring others into his arguments to gang up on someone

4for4 took the get off my lawn attitude to the extreme. He became insufferable

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Downundermike would go into the blog and tell people to go into another thread (usually the Hurts thread) and bully someone. He constantly would bring others into his arguments to gang up on someone

4for4 took the get off my lawn attitude to the extreme. He became insufferable

Yeah DownunderMike was a tool most of the time- he and 4for4 were like 2 12 year old bullys in the school yard, and Toronto would just take personal pot shots at people unprovoked. 

Board wont miss them much. I do agree RTK is not much different than those guys at times, maybe just a bit smarter in not going too far???

12 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im hoping my diarrhea is done.

You and me both, brother :sad:

Never binge on long john silver crumblies

never

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

JR has pulled the quitting and returning routine on a few occasions over the years. I always expect him to come back. But I guess he took the extra step of getting deleted so the temptation is no longer there.

Not correct.  He left the old EMB once because of the Vick signing as he was questioning the team and the dog fighting issue was intense for him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Not correct.  He left the old EMB once because of the Vick signing as he was questioning the team and the dog fighting issue was intense for him. 

He did it at least one or 2 other times since then.  It was short lived.  You may have missed it. 

Speaking of bans, I'm told that Cowboys fans were actually really upset about the possibility the tush push might get banned.

Until they realized it was in fact a football play and not how they spend their Saturday nights. 

• Haha 2

@Moderator6 @Moderator12and all the rest, one of my chiefs gave me the most true to life pieces of advice ive had so far in my 10 year navy career and I'll share it with you here as it directly relates to this issue.

90% of your time is spent on 10% of your people. It's 100% true for me and it seems to be that way here. It's frustrating, but luckily here you're able to rid yourself of those people so do it if you all deem it necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate the spelling out of matters.  As I said in my response to Mod6 in the blog, I don’t t dispute the bannings.   I think I have reported one post in a couple decades on the old and current EMB.  But trolling (think Doug704) is a form of cyber bullying at times. Hard to define.  Ribbing is locker room talk but bullying is too far. The fact that there were PM warnings before points, suspensions and bannings is telling.  What happened to VA is intolerable to me and I am glad it is to the new EMB.  

I do have a few points/questions.

1.  Sure seems that multiple reporters caused a bunch of the issues.  The mods virtually become aware from reporting but in turn the cause seems to be reporters and quite possibly leads to a conclusion there might be factions. I would like a bit more understanding on how multiple reporters are dealt with. Almost seems like there should be warning points for overreporting as it can be a form of bullying. 

2. Frankly, I liberally use the Ignore function and, except for Toronto, had the departed on ignore.  Don’t know if the platform affords any of these options but consider:

• If poster A reports poster B, in any way, report tool or PM, regardless of the outcome, automatically have as a result that poster A has poster B in ignore mode for a month. Multiple reports maybe more months or permanently. Can the Mods trigger an Ignore? 
  • If poster A and poster B both report each other both ignore each other for three months.

3. Turn off emoji confused response. You can like, laugh or cry as a response. If you are truly confused, ask for clarification from the poster.  Never make a thumbs down emoji  enough negativity in this world  

58 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I appreciate the spelling out of matters.  As I said in my response to Mod6 in the blog, I don’t t dispute the bannings.   I think I have reported one post in a couple decades on the old and current EMB.  But trolling (think Doug704) is a form of cyber bullying at times. Hard to define.  Ribbing is locker room talk but bullying is too far. The fact that there were PM warnings before points, suspensions and bannings is telling.  What happened to VA is intolerable to me and I am glad it is to the new EMB.  

I do have a few points/questions.

1.  Sure seems that multiple reporters caused a bunch of the issues.  The mods virtually become aware from reporting but in turn the cause seems to be reporters and quite possibly leads to a conclusion there might be factions. I would like a bit more understanding on how multiple reporters are dealt with. Almost seems like there should be warning points for overreporting as it can be a form of bullying. 

2. Frankly, I liberally use the Ignore function and, except for Toronto, had the departed on ignore.  Don’t know if the platform affords any of these options but consider:

• If poster A reports poster B, in any way, report tool or PM, regardless of the outcome, automatically have as a result that poster A has poster B in ignore mode for a month. Multiple reports maybe more months or permanently. Can the Mods trigger an Ignore? 
  • If poster A and poster B both report each other both ignore each other for three months.

3. Turn off emoji confused response. You can like, laugh or cry as a response. If you are truly confused, ask for clarification from the poster.  Never make a thumbs down emoji  enough negativity in this world  

I am not a part of the moderating crew on this board. I was on the official one. We absolutely would warn people not to abuse the report feature. When that stuff happened, in most cases, there was a certain back and forth going on between two posters. All that really needed was personal restraint or the use of the ignore feature. I would always respond back, recommending that they "ignore" said poster one way or the other. Once again, in most cases, both parties were complaining about things that they also did. So if I were to warn one person because of a reported post, I would investigate prior exchanges between the two and would warn the other party if they had also crossed the line. 

Unfortunately, people try to get other posters banned instead of attempting to get along or just leave them be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

You should not cast stones in glass houses. As one of the biggest repeated race baiters over the years you are a prime example of one of the posters who should be long gone even well before any of the drama being discussed in this thread began.

But the score card reads 4-0 as the guys you have trolled have been suspended, yet here you are to continue insulting them after theyre gone.

Nice try. I trolled NOBODY.

When people constantly throw out dog whistles and are so cowardly that they try to manipulate what they are actually doing they deserve to be called out. That's not race baiting, that's calling a spade a spade. The only ones who were race baiting were the ones who are gone.

As an African-American member of this board I have every right to speak up against that garbage and if you want to make excuses for those that do and call me out that is certainly your right and opinion. Your fighting for the wrong side though cuz. Then again, considering you think a man of color should have been banned from a message board for standing up to constant racist dog whistles maybe your idea of what the right side is is the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Jackson said:

You and me both, brother :sad:

Never binge on long john silver crumblies

never

Wow you’re white trash 

jk don’t tattle on me to the mods

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I am not a part of the moderating crew on this board. I was on the official one. We absolutely would warn people not to abuse the report feature. When that stuff happened, in most cases, there was a certain back and forth going on between two posters. All that really needed was personal restraint or the use of the ignore feature. I would always respond back, recommending that they "ignore" said poster one way or the other. Once again, in most cases, both parties were complaining about things that they also did. So if I were to warn one person because of a reported post, I would investigate prior exchanges between the two and would warn the other party if they had also crossed the line. 

Unfortunately, people try to get other posters banned instead of attempting to get along or just leave them be. 

Were you the one who suspended me for telling a Yankee fan to get AIDS? 

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Could you impose ignore?  That was a big part of my question.

4 hours ago, Arthur Jackson said:

please don't ban my clones

Don't tell anyone, but we're actually collecting clones for the planned Clone Wars.

11 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I know of no way that I could go into the settings and place someone on ignore so that you could not see their posts or they could not see yours. That's something that you can do, or someone else can do to you. But for a Mod/Admin to do impose it on you? I don't know of a way to do that. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Moderator6 said:

We’ve had longtime posters who can’t stand that the blog has become overrun by a few bullies who cause drama all the time and ask to have their accounts deleted.  We encourage them to stay, and maybe just take a break for a while. We’ve had posters change their mind later and thank us for not deleting their account.

As you know, I talked one person off that ledge (for a few weeks), last month, of course it didn't stick for very long. Account deletion is a permanent action that can't be undone. So take a breath or two and re-think it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

That wasn't possible at that time. I doubt that has changed. I mean, I guess you could mandate that to a specific member and make a memo on that for other mods to see and they could enforce it as an arrangement, but we didn't have the ability to manually place one member on another member's ignore list. Even if that was an option, that involves a feature that members have access to as well (They can choose to add or remove posters to or from their own lists at any time).