EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

10 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What the F are you talking about?  I've been preaching Lamar's underrated ability as a passer here for well over a year and have pointed out numerous times how he has not had the benefit of the skill players that other top young QBs of this era have had.  Your response makes literally no sense whatsoever.

Could you be more obtuse?

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Toolbag keeps his irrational Hurts hate up even when he is forced to rank him in the top 10. Blaming him for the Super Bowl loss saying other QBs would have performed better than him.

He ranked Hurts #7? Who is above him on the list? I'm not watching the video

13 hours ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

17 is such a horrible number for a LB 

Why?

A number is a number just like any other number.

11 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

This has been what I've been saying and felt about Lamar for awhile now.

You think his balls are great probably top 5 balls in the league right now.  

6 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Why?

A number is a number just like any other number.

Nah.  Some numbers are rational, others irrational.  Some are prime.  Some are composite.  And some are real, others are imaginary.  Not all numbers are alike at all.

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Nah.  Some numbers are rational, others irrational.  Some are prime.  Some are composite.  And some are real, others are imaginary.  Not all numbers are alike at all.

I want Jordan Davis to wear Happy Pi Day: Code Pi with Raspberry Pi and Python - The MagPi ...

8 minutes ago, just relax said:

I want Jordan Davis to wear Happy Pi Day: Code Pi with Raspberry Pi and Python - The MagPi ...

There was a former Harvard receiver in the 70s who tried to wear pi with the Bengals. They wouldn’t let him obviously. Incidentally the rumor was that he was the only person to ever get a perfect score on the standardized intelligence test.

22 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He ranked Hurts #7? Who is above him on the list? I'm not watching the video

Lawrence is 6th and Jackson 5th. He didn’t reveal top 4 but it’s some order of Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert.

10 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Lawrence is 6th and Jackson 5th. He didn’t reveal top 4 but it’s some order of Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert.

Jackson shouldn't be higher. His mvp year was nearly 5 years ago. Lawrence is on an upward trend but he's still not better than Hurts at the moment

The 4 can be argued both higher or lower IMO

44 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Could you be more obtuse?

Monken's offensive philosophy at Georgia was actually not that far away from what the Ravens have been doing the past few years.  The TE has gotten the most targets at UGA the past couple of seasons, and they lean fairly heavily on their running game as well.  I expect more of the same from BAL this season -- and that includes Jackson not finishing the season healthy.

What’s wrong with Hurts being ranked seventh on some guy’s list?

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I'd personally prefer people ranking him outside top 5 to keep that fire in him burning white hot

5 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Because Chris Simms is someone who has notoriously been a huge Hurts hater and still continues to throw shots at Hurts.  He's a clown.  Also Hurts is at worst the 3rd best QB in the league.

32 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

There was a former Harvard receiver in the 70s who tried to wear pi with the Bengals. They wouldn’t let him obviously. Incidentally the rumor was that he was the only person to ever get a perfect score on the standardized intelligence test.

That's irrational!

52 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Jackson shouldn't be higher. His mvp year was nearly 5 years ago. Lawrence is on an upward trend but he's still not better than Hurts at the moment

The 4 can be argued both higher or lower IMO

That's pretty much where I am, pure passing QB 4 of the 6 ahead of him I can see a case for, but Jackson has been patchy as all hell the last couple of years. 

Jackson's last couple of years make him top 15 at best, I'd have Rodgers, Geno and Tua ahead of him on last year, probably Lawrence as well.  Even guys like Dak and Carr have a decent case to be ahead of him as it stands, maybe Jackson bounces back this year with a better supporting cast but based on last year, 5 is a joke.

23 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's irrational!

So is this:

wZhwU5I.jpg

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Both are.

Yeah, I misread and amended my post 

TBH, I just wanted to do square root of two.

2 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

These players are supposed to be college educated.  It doesn't occur to them that wagering money on an event where they have direct control over the result undermines public confidence in the integrity of the sport?

Goodell, as Commissioner, has the responsibility to uphold the integrity of the sport.  That's not being an "egotistical power monger"; that's doing his job -- the most important part of his job, from a fan standpoint.

I didn’t say wager on "events where they have direct control”.  Quite the opposite, I said "Should be real simple.  Don’t bet on NFL games or action. Period.  That’s it.” 

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I was with you until the bolded.   The issue is how the NFL and NFLPA negotiated the 'rule'.  It should be simple, but it can only be simple if those parties agree to make it that simple.

Every thing I read suggests that the NFLPA had no negotiation on that five page rule.  What they did negotiate was allowing Roger some very specific areas f discipline and the interpretation is that Roger’s five page rule springs from the integrity of the game clause.  What does betting on NBA games during a break have to do with the integrity of the game?  What does betting your teammate a steak dinner that your alma mater will beat his in basketball have to do with the integrity of the game.  What even does a parlay during the draft of the number of QBs in the first round, the number of players from x college, etc. have to do with the integrity of the game.  Frankly, want to talk "integrity” of the game, maybe look at Jerruh’s role as a GM and as an investor in a gaming site (especially when Texas has not legalized sports books.  Makes punishment of the players for nonNFL bets seem petty and overreaching. 

The players interviewed in the article said very little was said about the five page rule until the current OTAs/minicamps.  They said the rule was included with a whole raft of rules in basically a one hour meeting and a handbook. One said he thought the rule was what I suggest it should be. One team did a graphic this year to emphasize the rule points rather than rely on players to read Roger’s five page legal treatise. They interviewed two agents that said they had not been given a copy of the rule.  

The company handbook when I started working was hardly the same as when I retired and some of the more experienced players commented on how online betting is a rather new phenomenon. I certainly didn’t have it memorized.  

In my view the betting on nonNFL games on premises should be a team decision and probably get a warning and if a recurrence a fine.  And you turn a blind eye to friendly wagers like alma mater games with teammates, Final Four brackets, blind square pools and fantasy sports with football not including money pools. Pretty much like most workplaces handle the matter.  Roger’s harsh punishments and five page memo are over the top, invasive and controlling as he tends to be.  

One final thought, many states have heightened their privacy laws.  You probably have received notices from credit card companies, on line sites etc. about such changes (usually with an arbitration clause because the companies are scared of class action suits because the tread across the line at times.  If I was a suspended player, I would bring an action against any company that gave the NFL my info about what bets I placed. About the only way the NFL could track going to sites and actually making bets is by a disclosure of that information.  Now, I don’t bet so I couldn’t tell you if the sites don’t have a notice about disclosure of your bets to others but I would be surprised if it is that broad if there is one.  Given the cost to the three players that got cut, I would think the damages could be significant although I am sure there is a limitation of damages clause.  Problem is that their lawyers don’t reveal when drafting those clauses is that some states prohibit "choice of law” clauses and courts tend to disapprove of clauses that tell them what law to use to interpret a contract. I premise with that because different states interpret language differently so the wording in an agreement that might work in one state might not work in another.  One would easily argue that the agreements you approve (whether the check mark,to move forward is an enforceable agreement) are contracts of adhesion meaning only one side can negotiate the terms.  The courts would tend to interpret any vagueness against the drafter.  Bet any broad disclosure language does not specifically include identifying the person betting, when or where the bet was placed to the person’s employer.   I bet a good lawyer could avoid arbitration with the gambling site and win challenges of the "agreement” language. Makes me almost wonder if Detroit was targeted by the NFL so that if there are legal challenges their gambling partners have a better chance of prevailing.

Of course, the babies on the PGA Tour are whining already.  Pro golfers are such tools.

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's irrational!

One could say, transcendental.

3 hours ago, BigEFly said:

Having read the Athletic article on the NFL gambling policy, it sounds like the NFL and the Union did a woefully poor job of communicating the rules.  Absent betting on a game involving the player’s own team, I expect the NFLPA and NFL come to blows over the suspensions before the start of the season and that most of these suspensions get modified or even lifted before the start of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rules get modified a bit too.  Parlays and bets on the draft by players seem a bridge too far.  

As one of the players interviewed said, when rivalries role around, locker room bets get made. When I was in high school, the Nebraska/Oklahoma battle for first was in its heyday and a friend of mine and I had a bet every year that was done in the locker room.  The betting got fierce during the Texas A&M and Texas game.  But I also remember friendly "wagers” on individual performance too.  Nobody bet on the team or game itself but rather, "i bet I tackle 24”, "I’ll bet I gain more than X yards”, etc.  More often than not, this resulted from and created trash talking amongst teammates.  It’s like Jerruh putting up BBQ against Cheessteaks by Lurie.  Really going to suspend a player for that?  Going to suspend the GA players or the Alabama players for initiating a little friendly wager on the game between the two teams?  Losers treat winners to dinner.  For a blind squares pool?  Roger is an egotistical power monger that puts out a five page legalese rule page.  Should be real simple.  Don’t bet on NFL games or action. Period.  That’s it. 

I would be fine if NFL players could bet on their own games as long as they bet to win. They just would have to make the information public so the lines are adjusted.  Betting is big business but it's ultimately entertainment.  I think if there's transparency there's little chance that a player wouldn't compete.  Further given the multiple avenues of legal gambling on the sport, it's likely that players do and will continue to bet through surrogates.  Ultimately, there's little or not ability to stop players from wagering through 3rd parties despite rules or policies.  The NFL should just take the opportunity to market players that bet on themselves, make them advertise it and make it a joint venture with the gambling apps.  All of this pretend integrity about it is nonsense.  

I don’t see how anyone can agree Justin Herbert is a better qb than Jalen hurts. 

Archived