EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

2 hours ago, Sack that QB said:

Wonder if Zentner sucks throughout the offseason if they eventually bring in Araiza. Reporters were unimpressed with Zentner.

I don't know if he sucked but it's only been one OTA.  Kempski observed 8 punts. The hang times weren't terrible except for a shank.  

Punt  Siposs  Zentner 
4.81  5.00 
4.85  4.51 
5.13  4.60 
4.40  4.58 
4.93  4.61 
4.98  3.91 (bad snap) 
5.11  3.81 (shankopotomous) 
5.18  4.76 
Avg  4.92  4.47 

Araiza didn't apparently have great hangtimes in college.  He had an average of 3.96 in college according to PFF and a ton of touchbacks. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-matt-araiza-punt-god-bills/dgmyhjvtoiyxcwqqkdaajiez  So he's kicking for distance but without hangtime I would guess you would see more returns so net field position is impacted.  Araiza was a highlight reel punter but there's a reason he's not yet on a roster.    

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Not a fan that he's still skipping OTA's to pursue hurdling. I get they are voluntary, and if he wants to keep pursuing his dreams of being a hurdler, good for him. I just think at this stage in his life if he really wants to play in the NFL, that's what his focus should be solely on. 

That's where his heart is.  He's a track star who moonlights at football.  He's the opposite of what we actually want for the team.

27 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I don't know if he sucked but it's only been one OTA.  Kempski observed 8 punts. The hang times weren't terrible except for a shank.  

Punt  Siposs  Zentner 
4.81  5.00 
4.85  4.51 
5.13  4.60 
4.40  4.58 
4.93  4.61 
4.98  3.91 (bad snap) 
5.11  3.81 (shankopotomous) 
5.18  4.76 
Avg  4.92  4.47 

Araiza didn't apparently have great hangtimes in college.  He had an average of 3.96 in college according to PFF and a ton of touchbacks. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-matt-araiza-punt-god-bills/dgmyhjvtoiyxcwqqkdaajiez  So he's kicking for distance but without hangtime I would guess you would see more returns so net field position is impacted.  Araiza was a highlight reel punter but there's a reason he's not yet on a roster.    

Kempski was saying on the BGN podcast that 4.8 or 5.0 is the hangtime you really want to be hitting at least and that is why he though Zentner was bad and only hit that mark once.  

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That's where his heart is.  He's a track star who moonlights at football.  He's the opposite of what we actually want for the team.

Yep. And I'm not trying to speak ill of him, if that's what his passion is, go for it. I think the NFL experiment should just end then.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Yep. And I'm not trying to speak ill of him, if that's what his passion is, go for it. I think the NFL experiment should just end then.

Correct.

Isaiah Rodgers is the Colt being investigated. How many casual fans know who that actually is? 

18 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Isaiah Rodgers is the Colt being investigated. How many casual fans know who that actually is? 

Those he was casually wagering with.

8 hours ago, RLC said:

I don't have any public data to support this, but a dangerous returner does impact the opposing punter. They will focus more on hang time than distance for fair catches, providing hidden yards. With Covey as the returner, there's no reason for opposing punters not to boom punts.

I agree. We've had some scary returners (Westbrook, DJax) that teams in certain situations would avoid punting to and that led to some favorable outcomes. Covey has not yet made a name for himself at the NFL level. I still believe he can because as his rookie season progressed, he was more confident, more decisive, and more productive. He can continue to improve and will need a couple TDs on his resume before teams ever begin to fear him. But that's just like everybody else. Until you do those things, teams aren't going to adjust. 

On 6/4/2023 at 8:25 AM, EaglePhan1986 said:

You are spending too much time being face deep in @Godfather’s anus. That’s how 

He likes that Chipotle after taste

3 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Fx4JevEXoAg3GTv?format=jpg&name=large

Might want to rephrase that, Mark.

This has been what I've been saying and felt about Lamar for awhile now.

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

This has been what I've been saying and felt about Lamar for awhile now.

Dude this is a PG13 message board. Don’t be disgusting

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Dude this is a PG13 message board. Don’t be disgusting

What the F are you talking about?  I've been preaching Lamar's underrated ability as a passer here for well over a year and have pointed out numerous times how he has not had the benefit of the skill players that other top young QBs of this era have had.  Your response makes literally no sense whatsoever.

23 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What the F are you talking about?  I've been preaching Lamar's underrated ability as a passer here for well over a year and have pointed out numerous times how he has not had the benefit of the skill players that other top young QBs of this era have had.  Your response makes literally no sense whatsoever.

I think it's just the balls stuff.

We are a conclave of deviants here 🤣

11 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

He's looking for the secret national treasure hidden compartment ..

Having read the Athletic article on the NFL gambling policy, it sounds like the NFL and the Union did a woefully poor job of communicating the rules.  Absent betting on a game involving the player’s own team, I expect the NFLPA and NFL come to blows over the suspensions before the start of the season and that most of these suspensions get modified or even lifted before the start of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rules get modified a bit too.  Parlays and bets on the draft by players seem a bridge too far.  

As one of the players interviewed said, when rivalries role around, locker room bets get made. When I was in high school, the Nebraska/Oklahoma battle for first was in its heyday and a friend of mine and I had a bet every year that was done in the locker room.  The betting got fierce during the Texas A&M and Texas game.  But I also remember friendly "wagers” on individual performance too.  Nobody bet on the team or game itself but rather, "i bet I tackle 24”, "I’ll bet I gain more than X yards”, etc.  More often than not, this resulted from and created trash talking amongst teammates.  It’s like Jerruh putting up BBQ against Cheessteaks by Lurie.  Really going to suspend a player for that?  Going to suspend the GA players or the Alabama players for initiating a little friendly wager on the game between the two teams?  Losers treat winners to dinner.  For a blind squares pool?  Roger is an egotistical power monger that puts out a five page legalese rule page.  Should be real simple.  Don’t bet on NFL games or action. Period.  That’s it. 

21 hours ago, NCiggles said:

1. Deon Sanders

2. Darren Sproles

3. DJax

4. Billie "White Shoes" Johnson

5. Dante Hall

6. Desmond Howard. 

Brian Mitchell and of course Devin Hester.

31 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Having read the Athletic article on the NFL gambling policy, it sounds like the NFL and the Union did a woefully poor job of communicating the rules.  Absent betting on a game involving the player’s own team, I expect the NFLPA and NFL come to blows over the suspensions before the start of the season and that most of these suspensions get modified or even lifted before the start of the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rules get modified a bit too.  Parlays and bets on the draft by players seem a bridge too far.  

As one of the players interviewed said, when rivalries role around, locker room bets get made. When I was in high school, the Nebraska/Oklahoma battle for first was in its heyday and a friend of mine and I had a bet every year that was done in the locker room.  The betting got fierce during the Texas A&M and Texas game.  But I also remember friendly "wagers” on individual performance too.  Nobody bet on the team or game itself but rather, "i bet I tackle 24”, "I’ll bet I gain more than X yards”, etc.  More often than not, this resulted from and created trash talking amongst teammates.  It’s like Jerruh putting up BBQ against Cheessteaks by Lurie.  Really going to suspend a player for that?  Going to suspend the GA players or the Alabama players for initiating a little friendly wager on the game between the two teams?  Losers treat winners to dinner.  For a blind squares pool?  Roger is an egotistical power monger that puts out a five page legalese rule page.  Should be real simple.  Don’t bet on NFL games or action. Period.  That’s it. 

These players are supposed to be college educated.  It doesn't occur to them that wagering money on an event where they have direct control over the result undermines public confidence in the integrity of the sport?

Goodell, as Commissioner, has the responsibility to uphold the integrity of the sport.  That's not being an "egotistical power monger"; that's doing his job -- the most important part of his job, from a fan standpoint.

Toolbag keeps his irrational Hurts hate up even when he is forced to rank him in the top 10. Blaming him for the Super Bowl loss saying other QBs would have performed better than him.

49 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Roger is an egotistical power monger that puts out a five page legalese rule page.  Should be real simple.  Don’t bet on NFL games or action. Period.  That’s it. 

I was with you until the bolded.   The issue is how the NFL and NFLPA negotiated the 'rule'.  It should be simple, but it can only be simple if those parties agree to make it that simple.

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I agree. We've had some scary returners (Westbrook, DJax) that teams in certain situations would avoid punting to and that led to some favorable outcomes. Covey has not yet made a name for himself at the NFL level. I still believe he can because as his rookie season progressed, he was more confident, more decisive, and more productive. He can continue to improve and will need a couple TDs on his resume before teams ever begin to fear him. But that's just like everybody else. Until you do those things, teams aren't going to adjust. 

Given that across the whole NFL there were only 3 TD returns, I suspect that teams aren’t going to adjust to any returner any time soon.

Archived