EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

7 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Passing TDs are meaningless with reference to Hurts, who runs in more TDs than the next few QBs combined.

He could get some 2 yard passing TDs, but I think a team lost a SB that way?

I wouldn't call them meaningless. That seems silly to give Hurts that excuse. Also passing stats were brought up as to why Herbert would likely be ranked higher than Hurts if you read the conversation

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once Kelce Watch concludes we'll jump directly into Johnson Watch in 2025 and 2026.

4 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Once Kelce Watch concludes we'll jump directly into Johnson Watch in 2025 and 2026.

Have either mentioned going into broadcasting afterwards?

40 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Herbert has a tougher division to play in

Herbert has more than twice the passing TDs

"Tougher division” is debatable. 

Passing tds more than twice is fine as long as hurts running for more than 4x the tds is as well. Along with eagles offense being one of the best in scoring, red zone td conversion rate, 3rd down conversion rate nd points per drive. 

throwing the football is NOT the most important job of a qb imo. Of course it’s important but we’re in a new age of the mobile qb. It’s all about getting points/tds and prolonging drives by hook or crook. 

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Have either mentioned going into broadcasting afterwards?

Kelce has. Berman has a good article on this if you have an Athletic subscription, but there's other out there

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-jason-kelce-nfl-broadcasting-career-kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-new-heights-podcast

Kelce also mentioned coaching as something he's interested in post playing. I think no matter what he decides, he's going to be related to the game somehow.

Johnson not sure, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would be big into broadcasting. I think he would maybe go into coaching or even being a private O-line coach or something since he's pretty big into the OL Masterminds conference every year. 

2 minutes ago, The Holy Vagabond said:

"Tougher division” is debatable. 

Passing tds more than twice is fine as long as hurts running for more than 4x the tds is as well. Along with eagles offense being one of the best in scoring, red zone td conversion rate, 3rd down conversion rate nd points per drive. 

throwing the football is NOT the most important job of a qb imo. Of course it’s important but we’re in a new age of the mobile qb. It’s all about getting points/tds and prolonging drives by hook or crook. 

Man you guys get defensive. It was suggested that Herbert was ranked higher because of his passing stats are better than Hurts

Saying throwing the football is not the most important job of a QB is debatable lol

3 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kelce has. Berman has a good article on this if you have an Athletic subscription, but there's other out there

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-jason-kelce-nfl-broadcasting-career-kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-new-heights-podcast

Kelce also mentioned coaching as something he's interested in post playing. I think no matter what he decides, he's going to be related to the game somehow.

Johnson not sure, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would be big into broadcasting. I think he would maybe go into coaching or even being a private O-line coach or something since he's pretty big into the OL Masterminds conference every year. 

Kelce going into coaching is interesting. I agree that Lane doesn't seem like the broadcasting type

Look really forward to the flyers searching for another goalie for the next 2 decades like from 2000-2020

NBA free agency starts June 30.  My guess is that Eagles will reveal the Kelly Green uniforms around this date or soon after.  Eagles are all about stealing other local teams news.  Can't see the Phillies doing anything newsworthy this summer bit Sixers re-signing Harden or making some other move is when I expect the Eagles try to steal that local sports talk with the jersey reveal.

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Look really forward to the flyers searching for another goalie for the next 2 decades like from 2000-2020

Any way the franchise can just fold and then restart as an expansion team? That seems to be the way to go in the NHL.

So I have a guy at work that wants to bet me the bears do better than Philly next year 

13 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Man you guys get defensive. It was suggested that Herbert was ranked higher because of his passing stats are better than Hurts

Saying throwing the football is not the most important job of a QB is debatable lol

Herbert was a worse passer than Jared Goff last year (fewer TDs, more Ints, lower ypa). So is Jared Goff better than Hurts, too?

2 minutes ago, tuffstuff07 said:

So I have a guy at work that wants to bet me the bears do better than Philly next year 

Does he have the mental capacity to legally enter into a binding agreement?

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Does he have the mental capacity to legally enter into a binding agreement?

Yes he is older but not that old 

I'm OK if they trade hart but hopefully it's for a equal player back if not better. If it's just for picks I don't understand it. Didn't they just resign him recently? 

Football continues to change. The QB of a few years ago is almost obsolete now. Mahomes is great, not just because he can make every throw but also because he can make them from any platform and off script. We need look no further than the SB two years ago, when the Bucs harassed him and neither he nor Reed had the answers. Off season, Reed radically altered the Chiefs attack, switching to a heavy dose of RPOs, quicker reads, and shorter routes. He moved Mahomes constantly.

Two years ago, Sirianni changed the Eagles offense on the fly, in mid-season. Hurts now runs a very different offense. Yes, it has a lot of RPOs, but it incorporates the read-option and is much more run-heavy. Hurts threw almost 200 fewer passes in 2022 than Mahomes, but the average gain was basically the same, as were the points scored.

Am I saying Hurts is as good as Mahomes? Of course not. I do, however, go back to the often-heard coach mantra of "putting my players in position to make plays". 

There's no one in the league with Mahomes' talent but even then it took Reed a couple of years to figure out what suited him best, from what position he could make plays. It took Sirianni a little less time with Hurts but not all that much. My point is, both coaches changed the offense, and quite radically.

I think too many of us view the best QBs as the best passers and, while there is truth in that, I see it as too limited a view. That's Simms' view and I think it's out of date. Playing QB has evolved.

5 minutes ago, just relax said:

Football continues to change. The QB of a few years ago is almost obsolete now. Mahomes is great, not just because he can make every throw but also because he can make them from any platform and off script. We need look no further than the SB two years ago, when the Bucs harassed him and neither he nor Reed had the answers. Off season, Reed radically altered the Chiefs attack, switching to a heavy dose of RPOs, quicker reads, and shorter routes. He moved Mahomes constantly.

Two years ago, Sirianni changed the Eagles offense on the fly, in mid-season. Hurts now runs a very different offense. Yes, it has a lot of RPOs, but it incorporates the read-option and is much more run-heavy. Hurts threw almost 200 fewer passes in 2022 than Mahomes, but the average gain was basically the same, as were the points scored.

Am I saying Hurts is as good as Mahomes? Of course not. I do, however, go back to the often-heard coach mantra of "putting my players in position to make plays". 

There's no one in the league with Mahomes' talent but even then it took Reed a couple of years to figure out what suited him best, from what position he could make plays. It took Sirianni a little less time with Hurts but not all that much. My point is, both coaches changed the offense, and quite radically.

I think too many of us view the best QBs as the best passers and, while there is truth in that, I see it as too limited a view. That's Simms' view and I think it's out of date. Playing QB has evolved.

An excellent example is Denver.  Denver mixed coaches that insisted on their style of timing plays with Wilson, who excels at the long ball and improvisation. The coaches got themselves fired.  What I like about Nick’s philosophy of designing the plays to fit the players not the other way around.  

Just watched the player interviews and the introduction to Eliot, the LB coach.

Forgot Eliot coached Davion Taylor.  I really hope this year pays off for Taylor and Wallace. 

Gainwell mentioned Kelce a bunch when talking about player input.  Makes sense.  Kelce is the onfield representation of Stout, the running game coordinator.

Both Gainwell and Scott referred to Hurts as J.

and my favorite:

9 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Herbert was a worse passer than Jared Goff last year (fewer TDs, more Ints, lower ypa). So is Jared Goff better than Hurts, too?

I think Goff is better than he's often  given credit for, in the right system he can absolutely put up numbers, like Cousins.

I have no issues with Hurts passing, but all things being equal QB purists are always going to rate passing numbers higher. That's just a fact.

Where Hurts has QB's like Goff and Cousins beaten hollow is in the intangibles, his leadership skills are off the scale.

Things like QB rankings are always subjective and I think Sims is absolutely flat wrong to put Jackson and Lawrence ahead of Hurts, but I can definitely see an argument for the other 4 guys. I don't really see how that's controversial, I'm not saying I'd definitely have Hurts at 5, but in a pure old school QB ranking I can understand the argument being made. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Herbert has a tougher division to play in

Herbert has more than twice the passing TDs

And coaching matters

Ted Williams was the better hitter.  But Joe DiMaggio was the better baseball player.

Hurts isn't even a top-ten thrower of the football.  But if you evaluate the QB position holistically....leadership, situational play, running skill, decision making, etc....the results speak for themselves.

34 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Read the conversation first

31 minutes ago, just relax said:

Chiefs had backup tackles and so Bucs were able to get to Mahomes. There were also a lot of drops. One drop likely would have been highlighted as one of the greatest because Mahomes was parallel to the ground when he threw it mid air but the receiver of course dropped it

Went back and watched Dean highlights from 2021 and it's really hard not to be excited about him being a starter. He was so Fing good in college. Best LB in college football. I know he's not a big guy, but he has all the tools aside from sheer size and it's not like he's some midget.

I know he didn't "stand out" in camp, but I think he will once the games start.

Archived