EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jaguars are building a metal brisket to play their games in. I guess this squashes the idea they had plans for a European division in the near future. 

I like it

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

We should trade Jalen Reagor for Young.  

36 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

Asking price? 

See above

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

You might be of a generation who actually watched DiMaggio and Williams play, so I'm not including you in this overall comment -- but I try to stay away from GOAT arguments that date back before I was alive.  There's only so much that can be taken from anecdotal evidence, statistics, etc. without actually seeing and experiencing those times.

I made a comment a few months ago on the subject of Secretariat, and that it was amazing 50 years later that he still holds the track records in all triple crown races.  Someone replied to me that Man O' War was the better racehorse.  Man O' War raced in 1920; that was 103 years ago now.  It's amazing what people will try to argue, only for the sake of arguing.

Williams was before my time, although he was still playing (barely) when I was born. But my father loved him even though he was an A's fan, not a Red Sox fan, and probably liked the Yankees more than he did the Red Sox. So it was passed down on me from an early age how great Ted was. And I was always a big stats guy and I used to love looking at his career numbers and realizing how much better he was than his contemporaries, including guys like Stan Musial and Joe DiMaggio. Guys who won championships. But just because they won championships didn't mean they were better than Ted. Now I'm sure Joe was a great defensive player who played a more important position (centerfield) compared to Williams who supposedly played a competent but not anything special left field. But still, I don't think that makes up the difference. So in my mind, Ted was the best player ever, other than Babe Ruth. No objective analysis could ever lead anyone to suggest a player was better than Babe. To me, that's not debatable.

It's interesting to me that you mention Secretariat because I'm actually quite a big fan of his. I've watched his races countless times. I even watched the Belmont that year as it unfolded. It was the first Triple Crown race I ever watched. My dad had to explain to me what the Triple Crown meant and how if he won that day, it'd be the first time in a long time that a horse did it. I've read books about him. I even read a book about Sham. I've watched documentaries. I know the ins and outs of Secretariat pretty damn well. It's hard for me to comment on Man O' War since he was from half a century earlier, from an era when horses didn't even come out of a starting gate. They'd all simply line up and start when given the go ahead. And as the story goes, in the only race that he ever lost, he wasn't even facing forward when the race started. But as far as I know, Secretariat's times were better in comparable events, so I consider him to be better. I do know that I thought it was absurd when Secretariat was voted the second best horse of the century. Even though he lost five times, including twice after he set the record in the Belmont, and Man O' War only lost the once, he was better.

But I understand what you're saying about not commenting on players you never saw play. Incidentally the best player I ever saw was Barry Bonds. And it's not even close.

And speaking of great racehorses from the past, one that I think is often overlooked was Dr. Fager. I went on a binge a year or two ago looking at all time greats and he really stood out to me. I think people don't consider him because he didn't race in the Triple Crown races (maybe one of them?) that year.

1 hour ago, TEW said:

I could see expansion teams in Germany and England. Maybe late 2020’s/early early 2030’s.

The NFL definitely wants to expand to Europe.  I think Germany may be a better first stop than London.  There's more NFL fans in Germany than the UK by most estimates.  I also think Germany has had some success with pro-leagues.  The NFL would also benefit from the team being in an EU country because it would mean easier travel to the games from nearby countries.  

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jaguars are building a metal brisket to play their games in. I guess this squashes the idea they had plans for a European division in the near future. 

Terrible.  The death of the outdoor stadium in the NFL continues.

24 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

We should trade Jalen Reagor for Young.  

It's odd how we never found out what the conditions were of thr conditional trade to the Vikings.

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I thought it was fantastic!  And I will say, the Linc is not nearly as intimidating as the Vet was.....doesn't get nearly as loud.  Would love for us to have a new stadium that was covered and hear what that would sound like!

17 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's odd how we never found out what the conditions were of thr conditional trade to the Vikings.

I think the conditions were like 700 yards receiving in a season by 2023.  I have no idea if that's right but I'm pretty sure that's what was reported. 

20 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's an outdoor stadium

A rendering of the Jaguars' new stadium.

Just now, NCiggles said:

I think the conditions were like 700 yards receiving in a season by 2023.  I have no idea if that's right but I'm pretty sure that's what was reported. 

Any of the 3 in a season by 2023

1. 40 receptions

2. 500 yards

3. 5 TD's

Baseball players are so tiny and petite.  Jalen Hurts is a small QB yet makes Bryce Harper look like a child.

7jtg4jf4ai4b1.jpg

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1. 40 receptions

2. 500 yards

3. 5 TD's

It's sad that those are such small benchmarks to hit yet he has no chance of hitting them.

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

It's sad that those are such small benchmarks to hit yet he has no chance of hitting them.

hopefully with Jefferson and Jordan Addison other teams just leave him wide open where he has a 36% chance of catching the ball.  

500 yards/17 games is only 29.41 yards/game.  Just need one big game and then his usual 10-20 yards...  Do playoff yards count also?

13 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

hopefully with Jefferson and Jordan Addison other teams just leave him wide open where he has a 36% chance of catching the ball.  

500 yards/17 games is only 29.41 yards/game.  Just need one big game and then his usual 10-20 yards...  Do playoff yards count also?

I think the 40 receptions might be the most realistic. He came close twice in his career with 33 and 31 and only needs to average slightly more than 2 catches per game.

2 hours ago, garingovt2000 said:

Asking price? 

Ouch, this is selling low.  I'm sure they want a 1st round pick, but they won't get it.  I'd say, maybe a conditional 3rd, which could be elevated to a 2 if he stays healthy?  

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I could definitely see 6 TDs while being used as a Tavon Austin style offensive gadget player 

39 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I think the 40 receptions might be the most realistic. He came close twice in his career with 33 and 31 and only needs to average slightly more than 2 catches per game.

I could definitely see 6 TDs while being used as a Tavon Austin style offensive gadget player 

TDs are the flukiest number, so I think that is our best chance of getting the higher pick. Looks like we all have different answers

22 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

they low on cap... they restrucuring someone or trading Byard?

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

1. 40 receptions

2. 500 yards

3. 5 TD's

Vikings just need to bring Addison along slow enough for Reagor to get to 41. 

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Baseball players are so tiny and petite.  Jalen Hurts is a small QB yet makes Bryce Harper look like a child.

7jtg4jf4ai4b1.jpg

It’s a perspective effect,  Harper is 2 inches taller

Archived