EMB Blog: 2023 Camps and Preseason - NO POLITICS

Connecticut Eagle

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

When we played the Chargers in that temporary stadium that held around 30,000 fans, it was like watching an Eagles home game. 

I was there that day. It was an awesome experience. That stadium was fantastic. In addition to the great views, it was about 70% Eagles fans. And the Cowboys lost the early game too!

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I wonder if part of it has anything to do with the fan base. Chargers fans seem passive. Many of the ones I know are (or were) also Raiders, 49ers and Rams fans. If the fans are passive, it's easy for a team to take on that identity on the field. When we played the Chargers in that temporary stadium that held around 30,000 fans, it was like watching an Eagles home game. 

That was a fun fun day.  (I'd had a LOT of Pisco Sour. That helped.)

There was one Chargers fan who spent the entire game trying to get the rest of the Chargers fans riled up.  I was impressed.  Toward the end of the game I climbed over several rows of seats just so that I could compliment him on his persistence, commitment, dedication, etc.  Despite having a loser of a team, that guy was a great fan.

The rest of them were weak.  And the stadium was 2/3 filled with Eagles fans.

Next up...  We need to outnumber the GoatFans at SoFi on Oct. 8.

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

There was one Chargers fan who spent the entire game trying to get the rest of the Chargers fans riled up.  I was impressed.  Toward the end of the game I climbed over several rows of seats just so that I could compliment him on his persistence, commitment, dedication, etc.  Despite having a loser of a team, that guy was a great fan.

It's a bi product of franchises relocating, the fans were fine in San Diego, I'll never understand how the NFL expects to give fans of a team such a huge f' you and then expect the crowds to magically appear in a new city, they said the Chargers were 'going home' to a city they spent one year in over half a century ago.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's a bi product of franchises relocating, the fans were fine in San Diego, I'll never understand how the NFL expects to give fans of a team such a huge f' you and then expect the crowds to magically appear in a new city, they said the Chargers were 'going home' to a city they spent one year in over half a century ago.

The relocation wasn't very far. For people living in CA, that drive is nothing. But I do agree that franchises that move around (like the Raiders and Rams)  affect fan loyalty.

On 6/4/2023 at 5:36 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

Bruh

He is 8th right now in yards per punt return, so he's not far off top punt returners.  

You could innovate with him.  As a QB in High School, he ran extremely often and extremely well.  Never lost a game as QB.  Won the state championship twice. 

He has very good quickness, very good 3 cone and shuttle.  Those are often seen as attributes of a slot wr, or one type of slot wr. 

They could do Philly Special type stuff with him. 

The Eagles have a lot of players with the versatile and the freakbeast.  Could one of them return punts?  Nolan Smith is the size and the speed and the 10 RAS you want for KR and PR.   He did return one punt in college for 29 yards I think, and had a kick return as well.   Carter had a TD catch and Davis had a TD run.   I looked over and that was it, I think.   

But any of those versatile Bulldogs and others as well, could theoretically be good at returning kicks or punts.   The Eagles do not need to bring in someone new with the idea that they would upgrade at PR.  Ben VanS, Michigan State LB, Michigan FB, does have size and speed numbers similar to Nolan Smith,  not quite as 10 RAS,  but 4.45 40 and 231 pounds is close to Saquon Barkley.  He, too, threw some passes in high school, but he was mostly a WR in high school, setting catch records.   It's plausible that a guy who caught more passes than anybody in the county history could also catch a punt or a kickoff.  He's generally good at catching I would think, more catches than anybody.  

15 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Yeah but if he just stayed where we was he would have been able to block the pass rush. Yeah he pancaked some dudes but the play lost yards 

He made the right decision initially because the line slid right.  The DT was Dickerson's block.  He also made a nice block that allowed him to come back and get the looping DE.  

1 hour ago, Random Reglar said:

He is 8th right now in yards per punt return, so he's not far off top punt returners.  

You could innovate with him.  As a QB in High School, he ran extremely often and extremely well.  Never lost a game as QB.  Won the state championship twice. 

He has very good quickness, very good 3 cone and shuttle.  Those are often seen as attributes of a slot wr, or one type of slot wr. 

They could do Philly Special type stuff with him. 

The Eagles have a lot of players with the versatile and the freakbeast.  Could one of them return punts?  Nolan Smith is the size and the speed and the 10 RAS you want for KR and PR.   He did return one punt in college for 29 yards I think, and had a kick return as well.   Carter had a TD catch and Davis had a TD run.   I looked over and that was it, I think.   

But any of those versatile Bulldogs and others as well, could theoretically be good at returning kicks or punts.   The Eagles do not need to bring in someone new with the idea that they would upgrade at PR.  Ben VanS, Michigan State LB, Michigan FB, does have size and speed numbers similar to Nolan Smith,  not quite as 10 RAS,  but 4.45 40 and 231 pounds is close to Saquon Barkley.  He, too, threw some passes in high school, but he was mostly a WR in high school, setting catch records.   It's plausible that a guy who caught more passes than anybody in the county history could also catch a punt or a kickoff.  He's generally good at catching I would think, more catches than anybody.  

Excellent

Can’t believe VanSumeren didn’t go #1 overall.

What a steal.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

The relocation wasn't very far. For people living in CA, that drive is nothing. But I do agree that franchises that move around (like the Raiders and Rams)  affect fan loyalty.

Not very far?  It's a two and half hour drive each way even in light traffic and you can add some more onto that for Monday or Thursday games heading towards LA, all to support a team after Spanos basically gave San Diego the ol' Ron Burgundy sign off?

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Not very far?  It's a two and half hour drive each way even in light traffic and you can add some more onto that for Monday or Thursday games heading towards LA, all to support a team after Spanos basically gave San Diego the ol' Ron Burgundy sign off?

Closer to 3 hours one way to SoFi Stadium.  A drive to FedEx field for a Commies game is only 2 hours and change for Eagles fans. The drive to MetLife for a Giants game is less than 2 hours.

10 hours ago, WentzFan11 said:

They just do it better than everyone else. They aren’t looking to beta test new experiences. They will wait until they have their perfect solution. Most people are okay with that. 

I hear you, but bruh...

20190602_apple_pro_stand_3x2.jpg

8 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Love Pisco Sours...  My wife is Peruvian so we go to Peru every year for about a month and go out to eat almost every day because it's so affordable and usually have one or two each place we go.  

35 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Closer to 3 hours one way to SoFi Stadium.  A drive to FedEx field for a Commies game is only 2 hours and change for Eagles fans. The drive to MetLife for a Giants game is less than 2 hours.

Exactly, who wants to do that every other Sunday for 'home' games.

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He was very good but not great his first year and went the wrong way afterwards, he's right on that cusp where you'd take a good hard look if he was available as a free agent, but he's unlikely to be worth what they'd want in return on the evidence of his last two seasons.

And if he managed to get back to his first year performance we'd find the extension he'll need this year too rich to swallow under the cap.

44 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Any updates on this week’s OTAs?

It's closed to public/media until tomorrow which is their last day, so probably going to be a light day.

10 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Absolutely disagree with this.

You might be of a generation who actually watched DiMaggio and Williams play, so I'm not including you in this overall comment -- but I try to stay away from GOAT arguments that date back before I was alive.  There's only so much that can be taken from anecdotal evidence, statistics, etc. without actually seeing and experiencing those times.

I made a comment a few months ago on the subject of Secretariat, and that it was amazing 50 years later that he still holds the track records in all triple crown races.  Someone replied to me that Man O' War was the better racehorse.  Man O' War raced in 1920; that was 103 years ago now.  It's amazing what people will try to argue, only for the sake of arguing.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

You might be of a generation who actually watched DiMaggio and Williams play, so I'm not including you in this overall comment -- but I try to stay away from GOAT arguments that date back before I was alive.  There's only so much that can be taken from anecdotal evidence, statistics, etc. without actually seeing and experiencing those times.

I made a comment a few months ago on the subject of Secretariat, and that it was amazing 50 years later that he still holds the track records in all triple crown races.  Someone replied to me that Man O' War was the better racehorse.  Man O' War raced in 1920; that was 103 years ago now.  It's amazing what people will try to argue, only for the sake of arguing.

I hear what you are saying, but that wasn't a 'GOAT' discussion.  That was merely a comparison between two players from the same era (though Williams lasted significantly longer in the league than DiMaggio).

Jaguars are building a metal brisket to play their games in. I guess this squashes the idea they had plans for a European division in the near future. 

11 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Jaguars are building a metal brisket to play their games in. I guess this squashes the idea they had plans for a European division in the near future. 

I could see expansion teams in Germany and England. Maybe late 2020’s/early early 2030’s.

20 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Kelce has. Berman has a good article on this if you have an Athletic subscription, but there's other out there

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-jason-kelce-nfl-broadcasting-career-kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-new-heights-podcast

Kelce also mentioned coaching as something he's interested in post playing. I think no matter what he decides, he's going to be related to the game somehow.

Johnson not sure, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would be big into broadcasting. I think he would maybe go into coaching or even being a private O-line coach or something since he's pretty big into the OL Masterminds conference every year. 

Kelce as Stoutland’s successor would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

They assume that people are completely fungible assets so a larger population near Los Angeles means more fans.  

Archived