EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

1 minute ago, Green Dog said:

Toohill's the wildcard, but will obviously be inactive if he stays on the 53.

I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't be surprised if he's being earmarked as the Bryan Braman type special teamer. Y'know, the bigger type guy who can run and hit rather than a WR/DB type. Reports out of Stanford at the time he was drafted was that he was a very good special teams guy who wasn't used there all that much because he was a starter on defense. 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I’d be shocked if he were ahead of Curry. We guaranteed him $2M. He likely is the third or fourth DE. 

Avery showed absolutely nothing. How he has a roster spot over Ostman is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, RLC said:

Let's go!

Love the move. I wanted them to keep him with how well he coached up Wentz last year. Weird that hed rather get paid as a PS guy then as a coach though. I guess atleast on the PS he could get the call up from us or another team to play. 

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

What the hell? They have to waste a PS spot on him when he's just sitting on the street and living in TX anyway?

I said it last night, the Eagles use of spots is mind blowing sometimes.  NO ONE is beating down the door for Josh McCown.

What the hell? They have to waste a PS spot on him when he's just sitting on the street and living in TX anyway?

There are 16 spots. McCown will have a bigger impact on the team than signing Kyle Lauletta or any other journeyman QB.

Just now, RLC said:

There are 16 spots. McCown will have a bigger impact on the team than signing Kyle Lauletta or any other journeyman QB.

He's living in TX and is 41....what is the freaking point? They can't just make a deal with him if something happens we are calling you?

1 minute ago, RLC said:

It’s another way to help groom him for a coaching role in Philly. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s another way to help groom him for a coaching role in Philly. 

Yup. And McCown can still be part of gameplanning. 

We all talk about Wentz. Why not find someone who can optimize his abilities?

3 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I said it last night, the Eagles use of spots is mind blowing sometimes.  NO ONE is beating down the door for Josh McCown.

He's living in TX and is 41....what is the freaking point? They can't just make a deal with him if something happens we are calling you?

The point is if he’s not on a roster he’s not getting daily testing sufficient for NFL protocols in place. There would be a 3 day gap to pass the proper protocols. If the situation arises that they need him ASAP, he can fly in and play. I’d prefer they went with a younger guy but it is a creative solution as he doesn’t need the practice. He also can remotely help coach the QBs. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Yup. And McCown can still be part of gameplanning. 

We all talk about Wentz. Why not find someone who can optimize his abilities?

Now let’s find a LT who can block for him!

Interesting, Clowney was almost a Saint. New Orleans tried getting Cleveland to sign him to the initial 1-yr deal for $15M, which would have included a $5M signing bonus. The Saints don't have the cap space to make the $15M offer, so Cleveland would've paid the $5M bonus and the Saints would've sent the Browns a 2nd round pick and would've gotten Clowney for $10M. The league wasn't going to approve it, so Clowney became a Titan.

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Interesting, Clowney was almost a Saint. New Orleans tried getting Cleveland to sign him to the initial 1-yr deal for $15M, which would have included a $5M signing bonus. The Saints don't have the cap space to make the $15M offer, so Cleveland would've paid the $5M bonus and the Saints would've sent the Browns a 2nd round pick and would've gotten Clowney for $10M. The league wasn't going to approve it, so Clowney became a Titan.

That just sounds soo stupid. NFL did the Saints a favor 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That just sounds soo stupid. NFL did the Saints a favor 

I'd have preferred that he signed for the Saints as part of this sly approach and then it would have back fired. 

Paying Clowney 10M, as well as losing a 2nd rounder, for a one-year rental is a sub-optimal decision even for a team in win-now mode. Saints are already down a 2021 3rd & 6th.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

Makes sense.  They need to put someone out there that they can bring back once they can IR some folks.

1 minute ago, RLC said:

Paying Clowney 10M, as well as losing a 2nd rounder, for a one-year rental is a sub-optimal decision even for a team in win-now mode. Saints are already down a 2021 3rd & 6th.

They are also 69 mil over the cap heading into next year. 

4 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, but they hit on impact players more than the Eagles do IMO.  They took a chance on Jaylon Smith who wasn't supposed to play after his knee injury and he's a stud now.  Eagles take a chance on Sidney Jones and he's trash.  The Eagles have to start hitting on picks.  The fact that 9 out of 10 picks made the team this year gives me hope they can develop some of them.

i don't think so gifs | WiffleGif

Archived