EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

That's a great move!

That really is such a smart move! Keep him in Texas, keep him clued in but keep him removed in case disaster strikes the QB room.

25 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

Avery showed absolutely nothing. How he has a roster spot over Ostman is beyond me. 

Oh?   Because Ostman has shown so much?     Come on.  What have you ever actually seen Ostman do?  

@FranklinFldEBUpper is right about Ostman.  

15 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

The point is if he’s not on a roster he’s not getting daily testing sufficient for NFL protocols in place. There would be a 3 day gap to pass the proper protocols. If the situation arises that they need him ASAP, he can fly in and play. I’d prefer they went with a younger guy but it is a creative solution as he doesn’t need the practice. He also can remotely help coach the QBs. 

Why have a rational take on this when you can just reflexively fly off the handle like everyone else when the Eagles make a move they didn't anticipate?

21 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

He's living in TX and is 41....what is the freaking point? They can't just make a deal with him if something happens we are calling you?

There's a lot of very short sighted responses to this move.

A QB is not a position that you want to just bring a guy in from the outside.   Let him be around the team, be a coach, work with Wentz, etc.  And if we need him, he's not coming in cold.  QB is the single most position in the NFL, why would you want to try to do a shortcut on that position?   The PS is expanded.  Take advantage of it and leverage the most important position.  He's also likely the best option for running scout teams as well because he's got such experience everywhere.   

23 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s another way to help groom him for a coaching role in Philly. 

So, he's not coming to town?  That seems odd.   But I guess having a quarantined QB makes sense... I hope he's rehabbed that hamstring.

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

It was always amusing to me how many posters on here liked Pumphrey because they thought he was the next Darren Sproles — even though he had never returned a punt or kickoff in college.

Not to mention Pumphrey was built like a stick figure.  Sproles has massive legs and trunk that enabled him to sustain such a long and successful NFL career.  Pumphrey would snap like a pretzel.  This is one of the reasons I can't figure out why they would draft someone like that.  Just look at him.  I can see it.  Why couldn't they??  

Of course, it looks like we can just scratch off that Pumphrey pick and replace him with Boston Scott, so in the end, it doesn't even sting that bad.  

29 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It’s another way to help groom him for a coaching role in Philly. 

I thought he was already hired as some assistant type coach this offseason?

14 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Yep, it makes sense.  And they are already used to doing meetings with virtual participants.  

Let's just hope we never need him.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh?   Because Ostman has shown so much?     Come on.  What have you ever actually seen Ostman do?  

I can't seem to find the tweet showing Avery's play from last year.  He looked good.  Only got a handful of snaps.

26 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Now let’s find a LT who can block for him!

Interesting choice of words for continuity...I have been describing the Eagles offense for years as the basketball equivalent for a continuity offense

7 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Not to mention Pumphrey was built like a stick figure.  Sproles has massive legs and trunk that enabled him to sustain such a long and successful NFL career.  Pumphrey would snap like a pretzel.  This is one of the reasons I can't figure out why they would draft someone like that.  Just look at him.  I can see it.  Why couldn't they??

Sproles_Pumphrey_header.width-696.png

4 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Eskin is wrong.

The fact that he agreed with me was how I knew I was wrong too. 

19 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I think the Ostman cut was more about the ability to get him through waivers vs Avery.  Avery was more likely to be claimed. 

4 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

I think the Ostman cut was more about the ability to get him through waivers vs Avery.  Avery was more likely to be claimed. 

Andrew Berry was in Cleveland when Avery was drafted and here when we traded for him. 

Cleveland also claimed a DE today. 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

Andrew Berry was in Cleveland when Avery was drafted and here when we traded for him. 

He also has game tape and teams are going to be aware of his past production. 

Baltimore added TE Jerrell Adams to its PS, so there goes another potential TE3. 

Just now, NCiggles said:

He also has game tape and teams are going to be aware of his past production. 

Yup.

5 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

That's deflection though.  The question was direct.  What has anyone in here actually seen from Ostman to make him so popular?

Besides, if Ostman was what people seem to want to believe he is... then the risk of losing him would be too great to put him on waivers.   I think the writing on the wall is clear... Ostman just isn't what some sports writers tried to make him out to be.

For the record, my defense of Avery was only for why the Eagles might not have released him. I don’t care about Ostman at all. 

41 minutes ago, RLC said:

Paying Clowney 10M, as well as losing a 2nd rounder, for a one-year rental is a sub-optimal decision even for a team in win-now mode. Saints are already down a 2021 3rd & 6th.

Esp when Titans only paid 12 mill. Just pay the extra 2 mill. Find a way to get it. 

I mean, its not like Ostman didn't have some decent tape from 2 years ago.  He looked aggressive. 

But of course it was against non NFL players and late in those preseason games. 

Happens every year.  I don't blame fans for wanting those guys to make it.

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Esp when Titans only paid 12 mill. Just pay the extra 2 mill. Find a way to get it. 

The deal is worth up to $15M with incentives.

24 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Panthers cut fifth-round pick FS Kenny Robinson. He has some ball skills and can play single high...

4.77 40, he doesnt have a shot here with our track team. 

Archived