EMB Blog: 2020 Training Camp

Connecticut Eagle

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

Warren is the guy I’d boot to bring on Jacquet or some other CB

Given our recent history with RB's (other than basically last season) I wouldn't mind seeing what Warren can do, if given the opportunity.  The guy really had no chance this year because there was no pre-season.  There's only "so much" you can see from a back like him in camp.

Those "big bruiser" type backs can't really "pound" the way they would in a game during camp, when everyone is worried about injuries, etc. 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ManuManu said:

Sounds like Epps will play in three-safety sets in his absence. 

They really like Epps and Craig James, who are two guys I never really considered to be solid prospects. But Howie was pretty effusive about them yesterday.

1 minute ago, jsb235 said:

They really like Epps and Craig James, who are two guys I never really considered to be solid prospects. But Howie was pretty effusive about them yesterday.

Yup. I thought Epps was a total jag last year, but Howie said he’s made a lot of strides. 

There is no change on the OL yet, still stands at 8 players.  Glenn is the only variable and his status can't be clear in couple of days.  That leaves him very little time to get ready for the Washington game.  That indicates that they are rolling with the guys already here. 

Just now, Penn7980 said:

There is no change on the OL yet, still stands at 8 players.  Glenn is the only variable and his status can't be clear in couple of days.  That leaves him very little time to get ready for the Washington game.  That indicates that they are rolling with the guys already here. 

He should be able to officially be signed tomorrow. He’s been here since Friday 

2 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Oh?   Because Ostman has shown so much?     Come on.  What have you ever actually seen Ostman do?  

@FranklinFldEBUpper is right about Ostman.  

He’s shown a hell of a lot more in camp. Avery did nothing in camp. 

1 hour ago, RLC said:

We pretty much kept everyone we wanted to. Losing Noah Togiai is the only disappointment. 

Now the next step of who the waiver wire picks ups and free agent signings . and who goes on IR...

28 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So now we have two open roster spots.  Re sign Strap and sign Cordy Glenn ??

Seems logical.  CB and OT are the most needy for the 1st game.. If they sign Glenn, it will be interesting to  see if he starts from the 1st game or is just the backup... Do you want a newcomer to be  the starter OT straight off?  I think Peters to LT and Pryor to RG as the starters, even if they sign Glenn.. I think Burnett would have come back to the 53 if Reagor had gone on IR, or if they had not signed Huntley... As it is the 2 IR spots look they they will go to CB and OT.  It could be that they just carry 2 TE's on the 53, and will just call up a practice squad TE if needed.  I think that Toohill is a good stick on the 53 as he also looks like  he is a useful special teams player at least at Stanford. I think they need to sign another TE to the practice squad, and drop one of the practice squad RB's. Also they don't have a practice squad QB. But they do have Hurts and Sudfeld who could double up and take the practice squad snaps too, and McCown can always be called up in an emergency for any of the squads if there are injuries...

22 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

He’s shown a hell of a lot more in camp. Avery did nothing in camp. 

Really?   You saw that?

As the roster stands, Burnett will probably be on the main roster week 1 under the new call up designation.

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Sucks for him. Thats the last place Id be looking to join since they are in pure tank mode right now. 

Maybe the best thing that could happen to him. Likely to get some field time

11 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Really?   You saw that?

And you saw Avery do something?
C’mon, everyone who follows camp said Avery has showed zilch since he’s been traded for a damn fourth round pick. Not saying Ostman is some phenom and should have been on the roster but he has shown more than Avery. He looked good in camp last year and reports were he looked pretty good in this years camp. 

2 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

And you saw Avery do something?
C’mon, everyone who follows camp said Avery has showed zilch since he’s been traded for a damn fourth round pick. Not saying Ostman is some phenom and should have been on the roster but he has shown more than Avery. He looked good in camp last year and reports were he looked pretty good in this years camp. 

I'm not beating the drum for Avery.  But this love affair so many have for Ostman is hilarious.  Ostman was a UDFA, who had been cut years ago.  Got injured, and we haven't seen him on the field since.

Yes... reports.   Same reporters talking about him as talking up Deontay Burnett, right?   Who was also cut.  Who was also untouched during the waiver wire period.   So much consternation by folks about roster positions 50, 51, 52 and 53 and its normally an argument about guys that won't matter in a year one way or the other.   But, this year, of all years... there's no real way for the fans to see what is going on with these guys, yet some folks are ready to die on the hill defending their guy.     Avery is a guy they thought highly enough of to trade a pick away to bring him in... in a situation that we don't know... maybe we lean to the side the fact that the team will give the nod to the guy that they invested more in.  But, in the end, it really doesn't matter, as Ostman is back on the PS and can be brought up without having to go through waivers, or dropped again without waivers.   

Ostman is a JAG from everything I've actually seen of him.  Same goes for Avery.  But, Avery is faster and the team invested in him, not in Ostman.  It doesn't surprise me that they'd keep him on roster over Ostman.

8 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'm not beating the drum for Avery.  But this love affair so many have for Ostman is hilarious.  Ostman was a UDFA, who had been cut years ago.  Got injured, and we haven't seen him on the field since.

Yes... reports.   Same reporters talking about him as talking up Deontay Burnett, right?   Who was also cut.  Who was also untouched during the waiver wire period.   So much consternation by folks about roster positions 50, 51, 52 and 53 and its normally an argument about guys that won't matter in a year one way or the other.   But, this year, of all years... there's no real way for the fans to see what is going on with these guys, yet some folks are ready to die on the hill defending their guy.     Avery is a guy they thought highly enough of to trade a pick away to bring him in... in a situation that we don't know... maybe we lean to the side the fact that the team will give the nod to the guy that they invested more in.  But, in the end, it really doesn't matter, as Ostman is back on the PS and can be brought up without having to go through waivers, or dropped again without waivers.   

Ostman is a JAG from everything I've actually seen of him.  Same goes for Avery.  But, Avery is faster and the team invested in him, not in Ostman.  It doesn't surprise me that they'd keep him on roster over Ostman.

I think people want to see Ostman play because of the reports during camp that he was playing well.  Same last year before he got hurt so there is a little hype there.  Also because pass rusher is such a valuable position.  I'd rather they keep Ostman and cut Singleton.  Why keep 6 LBers?

7 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

I look at Jason Avant as an ideal fourth round pick.  Third WR and consistent contributor on STs.  Hollins was going to be the same player.

He wasn't chosen to be a special teamer.  He was chosen to be a WR.  But the ST contribution would be a plus as he played his way into the offense. 

To suggest that any GM would use a fourth round pick on someone just for special teams is just silly.

I dont think its silly to suggest it i think its silly that howie did it and its silly to project him as a WR worth a 4th round pick.

Then to top it off hollins comes out and says he prefers special teams😕

22 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

Being churlish, other than bull rushing Mailata in TC, what has Ostman done?

Inside spin moves on Mailata 

Archived