Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

11 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Seriously, just forget about this team. They don't exist.

What amazes me is the rangers were in the position where the flyers were a couple years back. They decided to just do what they had to with the rebuild and are better off than where they would’ve been if they took the flyers road. James Dolan is a disaster as a nba owner but nhl owner he’s done well over the years 

Could only really happen to the flyers 

Flyers badly need a rebuild and have a poor cap situation going into the future…. Let’s go after DeBrincat 

• Haha 1

Watch him become a stud for tampa 

A tradition unlike any other. Flyers top 5 pick. Flyers take a big bodied winger that likely doesn’t pan out. Meanwhile a good defenseman sitting there at 5 in Jiricek. Nolan Patrick and makar 2.0 

Compare the two breakdowns by the athletic 

5. Philadelphia Flyers: Cutter Gauthier, LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

January 19, 2004 | 6′ 2″ | 200 pounds

Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Player comparable: J.T. Miller

Background: Gauthier was a versatile and important player for the U.S. NTDP this season, playing often on both special teams, lining up at wing and center for full games depending on their roster. He became a go-to player as the season went along, lining up on Cooley’s wing and playing PP1. He’s committed to Boston College.

Analysis: Gauthier has the tools that can make you easily envision him in the NHL. He has a thick 6-foot-2 frame and can skate like an NHL player. With his size and speed he can overpower opponents to force turnovers or in how he attacks the net and it makes him an asset on the PK. Gauthier can create with his skating and skill, but his main offensive weapon is his shot. He can pick corners from distance with a powerful wrist shot. I didn’t love his playmaking early on but that part of his game grew on me as the season went on especially how he made passes on the move. I see a potential very good top-six forward whether at center or the wing with a chance to pop and become a true top of the lineup type.

Thoughts on the pick: Gauthier, like Cooley, is a bet on upside by the Flyers. He has every NHL attribute you look for in a top six center and although his production wasn’t elite this season, this is absolutely a player with star upside if he hits. Flyers have a need for young centers, and I’d say there’s a 50% chance or greater Gauthier is an NHL center. His first season at Boston College, where he will play the middle, will be a big test for him in that regard.

6. Columbus Blue Jackets: David Jiricek, RHD, PLZEN (CZREP)

November 28, 2003 | 6′ 3″ | 189 pounds

Tier: Top of the lineup player

Player comparable: Alex Pietrangelo

Background: Jiricek was playing a notable role on a good Czechia league team and looking very good versus men, before a knee injury at the world juniors knocked him out for the second half. He has since started practicing again and was invited to Czechia’s national team camp. He played games for the senior Czechia team at the Karjala Cup and World Championships. He was also named one of Czechia’s best players at the 2021 world juniors despite being one of the youngest players in the tournament.

Analysis: Jiricek is a big, right-shot defenseman who makes an impact at both ends of the rink. He has great individual skill to make opponents miss. You combine that with very good vision and a hard point shot, and inside the offensive zone he can make a lot happen and be dangerous on a power play. His skating won’t dazzle, but for his size he gets around well enough. What his skating looks like post-knee surgery is something to monitor. He shows some shiftiness to pull away from checks, but lacks ideal speed and burst for the NHL level. Despite that, he defends well due to his reach and a high level of physical play, often punishing opposing forwards with his body. He projects as a top-pair defenseman.

Thoughts on the pick: David Jiricek was the last of what had emerged as a top group of six among teams. He’s exactly what Columbus needs in their organization, a hard two-way defenseman who can provide legit offense and play a ton of minutes. The offense isn’t amazing but it doesn’t need to be on the same club as Zach Werenski.

Draft Class

5. Cutter Gauthier, LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: High-end

Just now, Blazehound said:

Draft Class

5. Cutter Gauthier, LW, USA U-18 (NTDP)

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: High-end

I swear this organization gets enamored every time in the top 5 with big bodied wings/centers and it Fs them over as they never pan out to what they envision. I’d have taken the defenseman jiricek. Higher upside at a position in defenseman thay the flyers have needed for years. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I swear this organization gets enamored every time in the top 5 with big bodied wings/centers and it Fs them over as they never pan out to what they envision. I’d have taken the defenseman jiricek. Higher upside at a position in defenseman thay the flyers have needed for years. 

Yeah, I’m not thrilled. Another big body shooter who is average with the puck and a middling skater. Rather have had Jiricek or trade back a few spots. 

• Like 1

I think he won't pan out just because his first name is Cutter. He sounds like he should own a landscaping company, drive a truck, and split a 30-pack of Miller Lite on the weekends with his buddies.  He just doesn't have the name of a superstar in the making.

It's kind of like NBA players and haircuts.  How many players who spend time on statement haircuts end up being superstars?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.  (Dennis Rodman had the statement hair coloring after he got good.)  Nerlens Noel was destined to be a bust of a pick when he walked around with that flat top.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Lol

Was just about to post this. That’s a lot of picks for a defensemen who doesn’t defend.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Lol

I feel bad for whomever takes over after fletcher and has to clean up his mistakes with less draft picks when they need to rebuild  

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I feel bad for whomever takes over after fletcher and has to clean up his mistakes with less draft picks when they need to rebuild  

I mean maybe he’ll play?  That would be an improvement over Ellis 

27 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I mean maybe he’ll play?  That would be an improvement over Ellis 

That Ellis deal was Fing stupid last year when they made it. Not because of what they gave up because Meyers and Patrick were not likely gonna do be big players here anyway. But you knew Ellis was injury prone. There was a four-year track record where only one season he wasn’t hurt. He was on the wrong side of 30 making a ton of money against the cap for six years. The stupidity was then doubled down when they went and traded for Risto. They gave up what they did and were forced to basically paid or lose him and the capital they gave for him.

The stupid with this franchise is amazing. Fletcher should been fired after this year. Almost everything he’s touched has been a disaster. This organization is going to dig themselves into a hole so deep that it’s gonna just take them 2 to 3 years to get out of those contracts and then start the rebuild they’ve should’ve already started.

This ownership group is gonna learn the hard way that they’re still gonna suck next year. Fans are going to stop caring even more. Then they’re gonna be in these bad contracts that nobody wants that they’re gonna have to give up more capital to other teams to get out of. and eventually get to a rebuild that they wanted to avoid because they wanted to be competitive instead of seeing the writing on the wall and just doing a rebuild that is desperately needed. So avoiding the inevitable is going to catch up and be another 3-5 years of bs shocked with bad contracts. 

And gave him a 2 year $10 mil contract. It’s great that Fletcher is giving away draft picks for years he’s not even gonna be Fing here. This organization should be thanking the coyotes being the worst franchise in the league. 

I’ve never been more apathetic about this team then I am right now. I just have no confidence that we’ll be anything better than middling until this team undergoes a full top down overhaul.  But that won’t happen. 

Gostisbehere and hagg are who cares. But the fact we won’t have a 2nd rounder for 3 consecutive years and likely our highest third next year as well is truly amazing for a GM likely fired before the all star break. Add on stuck in risto’s contract, stuck in Ellis contract and just burning picks 

42 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That Ellis deal was Fing stupid last year when they made it. Not because of what they gave up because Meyers and Patrick were not likely gonna do be big players here anyway. But you knew Ellis was injury prone. There was a four-year track record where only one season he wasn’t hurt. He was on the wrong side of 30 making a ton of money against the cap for six years. The stupidity was then doubled down when they went and traded for Risto. They gave up what they did and were forced to basically paid or lose him and the capital they gave for him.

The stupid with this franchise is amazing. Fletcher should been fired after this year. Almost everything he’s touched has been a disaster. This organization is going to dig themselves into a hole so deep that it’s gonna just take them 2 to 3 years to get out of those contracts and then start the rebuild they’ve should’ve already started.

This ownership group is gonna learn the hard way that they’re still gonna suck next year. Fans are going to stop caring even more. Then they’re gonna be in these bad contracts that nobody wants that they’re gonna have to give up more capital to other teams to get out of. and eventually get to a rebuild that they wanted to avoid because they wanted to be competitive instead of seeing the writing on the wall and just doing a rebuild that is desperately needed. So avoiding the inevitable is going to catch up and be another 3-5 years of bs shocked with bad contracts. 

Yup.  Fletcher has destroyed this team and needs to go ASAP before they are irrelevant for 10 years

8 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Yup.  Fletcher has destroyed this team and needs to go ASAP before they are irrelevant for 10 years

They basically are already there. If not for the 19-20 season, the flyers have been a mediocre franchise. As they’d make and miss the playoffs every other year for a decade. Just last two years the wheels completely fell off and they are complete crap. 

I think the next GM is gonna be Danny briere and I feel bad for him. he’s gonna be stuck with less draft picks and in bad contracts that without those picks take longer to get out of and still need to rebuild. That’s definitely coming and flyers ownership is trying to avoid it but it’s gonna happen.

I give credit to the Rangers because they were willing to take steps back and do a rebuild to take massive steps forward in the future. The Flyers ownership are simply about just being competitive enough so they can get fans to keep coming to games. When they should be worried fans say F it we don’t care anymore as this team while at least competitive in games isn’t close to good enough nor competing for any title any time soon and you’re still gonna have the same problem.

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Gostisbehere and hagg are who cares. But the fact we won’t have a 2nd rounder for 3 consecutive years and likely our highest third next year as well is truly amazing for a GM likely fired before the all star break. Add on stuck in risto’s contract, stuck in Ellis contract and just burning picks 

Here’s the full score card so far

IN:
Owen Tippett.
Cam Atkinson.
Rasmus Ristolainen
Tony DeAngelo
Ryan Ellis (four total games played)
2022 7th rounder (220th overall)
2023 3rd rounder.
2024 1st rounder. 

OUT:
Claude Giroux.
German Rubtsov.
Connor Bunnaman.
Jake Voracek.
Nolan Patrick
Philippe Myers
Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere
2021 1st rounder (13th overall)
2022 2nd rounder (36th overall)
2022 4th rounder (101st overall)
2022 7th rounder (216th overall)
2023 2nd rounder
2023 3rd rounder
2024 2nd rounder.
2024 5th rounder.

3 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Here’s the full score card so far

IN:
Owen Tippett.
Cam Atkinson.
Rasmus Ristolainen
Tony DeAngelo
Ryan Ellis (four total games played)
2022 7th rounder (220th overall)
2023 3rd rounder.
2024 1st rounder. 

OUT:
Claude Giroux.
German Rubtsov.
Connor Bunnaman.
Jake Voracek.
Nolan Patrick
Philippe Myers
Robert Hagg
Shayne Gostisbehere
2021 1st rounder (13th overall)
2022 2nd rounder (36th overall)
2022 4th rounder (101st overall)
2022 7th rounder (216th overall)
2023 2nd rounder
2023 3rd rounder
2024 2nd rounder.
2024 5th rounder.

Is that bad?

9 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Is that bad?

image.gif.923b73a4d68af7042e4f777192189e82.gif

I keep seeing people online talk about the defenseman they traded for as being the "worst guy" or "biggest a-hole" in the league.  I haven't really followed hockey in a few decades so I have no idea.  What did this dude do?