Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

34 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

If the moron didn’t sign Deangelo he more than likely could have made it work. 

45 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

If the moron didn’t sign Deangelo he more than likely could have made it work. 

If we kept the picks, didn’t trade and sign risto would’ve also worked. The amount of picks and cap space spent on risto & deangelo for a team that should be rebuilding is flat out embarrassing. 

• Like 1

if the flyers organization had a pulse like the rest of the three organizations phillies, eagles, sixers, we probably wouldnt be here at all. that's the major problem with flyers is that they dont listen to the fans when it comes to getting stars, they do things their way and everything goes to crap, that's what i miss about ed snider, he cared so much about the fanbase and he wanted to win, that what his passion and gave us what we wanted, we are ones paying this too. we not paying to see gritty.

what we want is people that gives a s### about this team and listens to us like doing everything in their power to improve this team and give us stars that's all we want.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

If we kept the picks, didn’t trade and sign risto would’ve also worked. The amount of picks and cap space spent on risto & deangelo for a team that should be rebuilding is flat out embarrassing. 

Yup, the order in which he did things was idiotic also.

Signing deangelo and buying out lindblom before trading JvR likely drove the price way up, you can buy someone out or sign someone at any time make the trades first.

But as you said he never should have made the D'Angelo trade to begin with. Keep those picks and 1) moving JvR is way easier and 2) you have more cap to play with. Ellis isn't playing but D'Angelo is not a first pair dman, braun is gonna be back with provorov by game 12 and D'Angelo will be playing with risto on the 3rd pair.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

if the flyers organization had a pulse like the rest of the three organizations phillies, eagles, sixers, we probably wouldnt be here at all. that's the major problem with flyers is that they dont listen to the fans when it comes to getting stars, they do things their way and everything goes to crap, that's what i miss about ed snider, he cared so much about the fanbase and he wanted to win, that what his passion and gave us what we wanted, we are ones paying this too. we not paying to see gritty.

what we want is people that gives a s### about this team and listens to us like doing everything in their power to improve this team and give us stars that's all we want.

Agreed. Snider had his flaws and was far from perfect but you never doubted that his heart was in the right place.  The man wanted to win and was willing to do whatever it took to do so.   I don't need them to take direction from the fans, but there needs to be a plan that is grounded in reality and driven with a focus on winning a championship. Not middling and maybe making the playoffs. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tortorella's schtick is beyond tired at this point. This feels like the official beginning of his downfall in Philly. Even if it's true, these tactics (calling out the players' leadership publicly to the media) won't work with this team in this day and age. The truth is, though, that don't blame him; I blame the monumentally inept ownership and management for thinking that this washed-up re-tread was the answer for rebuilding a storied franchise with severe, deep-seated deficiencies in talent and coaching acumen, and the reason they hired him is because no one of any high stature wanted anything to do with this joke of an organization run by corporate Fwads.

#selltheteam

John Tortorella has ‘major concerns’ about Flyers’ locker room

If you think the Flyers’ locker room is in a bad place without Claude Giroux, John Tortorella probably agrees with you.

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2022/9/8/23342833/john-tortorella-major-concerns-flyers-locker-room

Guys, you missed the part where I said, or at least hinted, that he's not wrong...but it won't work, at least not coming from him, a guy who's played out this movie again and again with the same disappointing results. It was a terrible hire. I would've rather they'd given an unproven assistant or college coach a chance over this perennial disappointment.

If you thought last year was bad, wait until this trainwreck gets underway. I don't think this franchise is even close to rock bottom yet.

Getcha 🍿 ready!!!

I'm all for Torts calling them out.  It's a win win. If his method works and they play more as a team, great. If not and they tumble further than they already are, great. That means a top 2 or 3 pick in next years draft. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

I'm all for Torts calling them out.  It's a win win. If his method works and they play more as a team, great. If not and they tumble further than they already are, great. That means a top 2 or 3 pick in next years draft. 

Yeah but they’ll probably screw up that pick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Yeah but they’ll probably screw up that pick 

Well that's definitely possible with these clowns. Only hope is that if this season is the same or worse than last year, then Fletcher will finally get the axe. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

I thought you were kidding until I looked it up.  They signed a 29 year-old player to an 8-year extension .... 

25 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I thought you were kidding until I looked it up.  They signed a 29 year-old player to an 8-year extension .... 

Yep, he has a lot of mileage. I would have offered 4 years, tops. Granted he would have declined that but so what. Fletcher should have just let his contract run out and let another team overpay for him. Now, it wouldn't be surprising to see him on LTIR for a chunk of this contract. 

Just saw an article headline about how the Flyers are having a "fighting clinic" for rookies, true to Tortorella's washed-up retread form

I always thought fighting in this day and age is sort of beyond comical at this point. These guys all wear helmets with visors now...what are you going to "win" when you drop the gloves, besides a severely bruised or broken hand?

This is going to be one hell of a shitshow this year.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, vsptroops said:

Yep, he has a lot of mileage. I would have offered 4 years, tops. Granted he would have declined that but so what. Fletcher should have just let his contract run out and let another team overpay for him. Now, it wouldn't be surprising to see him on LTIR for a chunk of this contract. 

The only player they should’ve ever been giving 7 to 8 year contract to is Claude giroux. Because he was legitimately a star type player that you wanted to keep. Sean couturier is a good player but he’s not a star. The max should’ve been 5 years. If he declined then trade him and capitalize on his value. Rather than being stuck in a bad contract by year 4 of that deal. They keep giving out these bad contracts to players who don’t deserve 6 to 8 year contracts. 

3 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Ellis done for the season.

#selltheteam

This is gonna wind up being a awful trade. Not because of what they gave up to acquire him. Because that was minuscule. But when you trade for a 30-year-old player who has been injury prone with a massive contract with 5+ years left on it that was idiotic. The writing was on the wall with the guy can’t stay healthy in his 20s. Meanwhile they thought in his 30s he was not gonna decline or have even more injuries. A lot of us said it at that time. A good general manager would be like why is Nashville trading this guy if he’s so talented and going to be fine for basically peanuts. Because they knew that was going to be a problem going forward that he wouldn’t stay healthy and begin to decline and he’s owed a ton of money. 

• Like 3