Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Gotta ask. Did Wentz like steal your woman or something? Jeez lol. Nobody is saying he had a good game. Down boy. It's one game. No preseason, no online, no RB. 

I gotta ask. Does Wentz let you shine his balls as to why you always defend him? It’s not just one game. He’s been holding onto the ball trying to be a hero his entire time as an Eagle. Relax. You won’t die if you criticize Wentz and you don’t have to make lame excuses for him in order to make him great. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Gotta ask. Did Wentz like steal your woman or something? Jeez lol. Nobody is saying he had a good game. Down boy. It's one game. No preseason, no online, no RB. 

I think the point is that it really isn’t just one game. He’s showing a pattern of making the same mistakes over and over again. Holds the ball too long, refuses to throw the ball away under pressure and sails far too many throws over his receivers’ heads. 

I’ve defended Wentz a lot over the last few years. But now it’s year 5, and these issues still haven’t been fixed. I can’t do it anymore. I hope he fixes his glaring weaknesses but I just don’t have much optimism left that it’s going to happen. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

I gotta ask. Does Wentz let you shine his balls as to why you always defend him? It’s not just one game. He’s been holding onto the ball trying to be a hero his entire time as an Eagle. Relax. You won’t die if you criticize Wentz and you don’t have to make lame excuses for him in order to make him great. 

Where did I defend him? He had a crappy game. Alot of others also did. I appreciate that franchise QBs don't grow on trees. I also remember him getting us to the playoffs with just about zero help. He had an atrocious half. I just have the patience to not run around screaming for changes after every loss. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I think the point is that it really isn’t just one game

He just took us to a division title pretty much by himself. Does everyone forget that?

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Where did I defend him? He had a crappy game. Alot of others also did. I appreciate that franchise QBs don't grow on trees. I also remember him getting us to the playoffs with just about zero help. He had an atrocious half. I just have the patience to not run around screaming for changes after every loss. 

He just took us to a division title pretty much by himself. Does everyone forget that?

In the worst division in the league, and needing to squeak out wins against garbage teams at the end of the year. His poor play and more importantly his turnovers cost them multiple games last year. 

4 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Of course they did.

Don't worry the barrage of excuses will soon follow starting with - He only won because of a weak division.

Wentz when on, is an elite QB. When he is off he is average to below average. The problem is that he tends to start off the season or sometimes the game off, and then turns it on. That and injuries are really what is stopping him from being truly great.

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

In the worst division in the league, and needing to squeak out wins against garbage teams at the end of the year. His poor play and more importantly his turnovers cost them multiple games last year. 

See - I knew it.

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

I don't care if it was the worst division and I don't care how much they won by. It's a division title. In the NFL  Earned while throwing to PS players and College QB's playing WR. I think alot of you are out because he doesn't always play like a top 5 QB. Most don't. We still have a better one than alot of other teams. Wanna go back to the Bradford years?

10 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

You make excuses for him. A lot of players did have a bad game, but he had the worst. He and Doug were terrible in this game. The Eagles didn’t need a franchise quarterback to win a super bowl, and until our franchise quarterback gets it through his skull that he need to do a much better job of protecting himself by getting rid of the football instead of taking stupid sacks and bad hits we will not win anything with him while you apologists will be spending years crying about dirty hits an no talent around him. 

11 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Of course they did.

Don't worry the barrage of excuses will soon follow starting with - He only won because of a weak division.

Wentz when on, is an elite QB. When he is off he is average to below average. The problem is that he tends to start off the season or sometimes the game off, and then turns it on. That and injuries are really what is stopping him from being truly great.

See - I knew it.

"remember him getting us to the playoffs with just about zero help"

So this is not an excuse? Is Miles Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, and one of the best offensive lines in football not help??? 
Is it really an "excuse” to call into question beating teams with a combined record of 15 and 33?

26 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He had an incredible run last season heading into the playoffs.

I think most peoples’ gripe is "why do we need to have ‘miracle runs to begin with?”

Well, based on the last few seasons it’s because of inconsistent play.  It’s not just Wentz though...typically the fault can be spread around.  

But when looking at other "elite” QB’s around the league, how often do they go on 3-4 game runs making the same type of mistakes?

I think it has to do with the fact that Wentz hasn’t been "consistently elite/very good”. He’s been "elite/very good” for about 5-6 games per year.   "Ok/good”  for about 3-4 And pretty "average/below average” for another 3-4.  And pretty bad for at least 1-2 games per year. 

Fun fact: Wentz is 15-16 since his injury in 2017.

Does he look really good at times? Sure. But he looks like hot garbage just as often if not a little more. You know what that's called? Inconsistency. It's what middle of the road journeymen QBs do. At times Fitzmagic looks like a hall of famer. For some reason this is usually against us. At other times he turns the ball over multiple times and can't get out of his own way. Is that the kind of career Wentz is destined for? Too early to say but if I had to bet one way or the other, I'd bet on yes. It doesn't matter what I think. He's the starter for the rest of the season unless he gets hurt. But obviously I'm not the only one who thinks so. The eagles didn't take Hurts in the second round to just be the backup. He's an insurance policy.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

You make excuses for him. A lot of players did have a bad game, but he had the worst. He and Doug were terrible in this game. The Eagles didn’t need a franchise quarterback to win a super bowl, and until our franchise quarterback gets it through his skull that he need to do a much better job of protecting himself by getting rid of the football instead of taking stupid sacks and bad hits we will not win anything with him while you apologists will be spending years crying about dirty hits an no talent around him. 

He had the worst? The right side of the O line says hi. They didn't need a franchise QB to win the SB. But what you always conveniently leave out is they DID need one to get number one seed with the homefield and bye. Stupid sacks? 5 of those sacks the defense had a unguarded run to him. Were not touched. I am not saying Wentz is perfect but I'd rather support my teams QB instead of B ing and whining like you have chosen to do. He's a hell of alot better than we have had in a LONG time so I'm grateful. Maybe you would be happier pulling for the Chiefs because they have the very best? Although the first game he lost I'm sure you'd be out on him. 

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I think most peoples’ gripe is "why do we need to have ‘miracle runs to begin with?”

Well, based on the last few seasons it’s because of inconsistent play.  It’s not just Wentz though...typically the fault can be spread around.  

But when looking at other "elite” QB’s around the league, how often do they go on 3-4 game runs making the same type of mistakes?

I think it has to do with the fact that Wentz hasn’t been "consistently elite/very good”. He’s been "elite/very good” for about 5-6 games per year.   "Ok-decent”  for about 3-4 And pretty "average/below average” for another 3-4.  And really bad for at least 1-2 games per year. 

When it comes down to it I just think we have to accept the fact that Carson Wentz isn’t an elite quarterback. Franchise Quarterback and Elite Quarterbacks are not the same thing. Ultimately he (like everyone else that season) has a nice 2017 run, but in the grand scheme of things he’s not that guy. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

"remember him getting us to the playoffs with just about zero help"

So this is not an excuse? Is Miles Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, and one of the best offensive lines in football not help??? 

He is the first QB in NFL history to throw for over 4,000 yards and having no WR have more then 500 yards receiving?

The Eagles had to maintain long sustained drives all of last year because of of the lack of playmakers on the outside. That is very difficult to do in the NFL.

Complaining about the division being weak is an excuse. The Patriots won Super Bowl after Super Bowl with the worst division in all of football for years. Nobody is taking away from their wins because Miami, NY and Buffalo have been so terrible.

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

When it comes down to it I just think we have to accept the fact that Carson Wentz isn’t an elite quarterback. Franchise Quarterback and Elite Quarterbacks are not the same thing. Ultimately he (like everyone else that season) has a nice 2017 run, but in the grand scheme of things he’s not that guy. 

I think with solid offensive line play and a capable team around him, he can be a 10-12 win QB.  Once you start taking pieces away from him, that number quickly turns into an 8-9 win QB, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

He had the worst? The right side of the O line says hi. They didn't need a franchise QB to win the SB. But what you always conveniently leave out is they DID need one to get number one seed with the homefield and bye. Stupid sacks? 5 of those sacks the defense had a unguarded run to him. Were not touched. I am not saying Wentz is perfect but I'd rather support my teams QB instead of B ing and whining like you have chosen to do. He's a hell of alot better than we have had in a LONG time so I'm grateful. Maybe you would be happier pulling for the Chiefs because they have the very best? Although the first game he lost I'm sure you'd be out on him. 

Carson had two bad picks, fumbled twice, missed key passes, and held the ball too long on more than one occasion that cost the team sacks and points. That’s not whining. Those are facts. You acting like none of this stuff happened just makes you a blind apologist. You’re also full of crap, because you whine and complain about ever other player on the team! 

10 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I think it has to do with the fact that Wentz hasn’t been "consistently elite/very good”. He’s been "elite/very good” for about 5-6 games per year.   "Ok-decent”  for about 3-4 And pretty "average/below average” for another 3-4.  And really bad for at least 1-2 games per year. 

This I completely agree with. He is almost a better Matthew Stafford.

Carson had two bad picks, fumbled twice, missed key passes, and held the ball too long on more than one occasion that cost the team sacks and points. That’s not whining. Those are facts. You acting like none of this stuff happened just makes you a blind apologist. You’re also full of crap, because you whine and complain about ever other player on the team! 

So now you are a liar and a whiner? You are pathetic. I'm done with you. Go be miserable somewhere else. I'll pull for the QB on my team. You have fun complaining. Pathetic. 

Just now, pallidrone said:

He is the first QB in NFL history to throw for over 4,000 yards and having no WR have more then 500 yards receiving?

The Eagles had to maintain long sustained drives all of last year because of of the lack of playmakers on the outside. That is very difficult to do in the NFL.

Complaining about the division being weak is an excuse. The Patriots won Super Bowl after Super Bowl with the worst division in all of football for years. Nobody is taking away from their wins because Miami, NY and Buffalo have been so terrible.

This is a meaningless individual stat that matters little to nothing in the grand scheme of the Eagles winning. I don’t care if he throws for 5000 yards every season from here on out. If the Eagles are an 8 win team that whole time what doe it matter. It’s like having Phillip Rivers as your quarterback. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

So now you are a liar and a whiner? You are pathetic. I'm done with you. Go be miserable somewhere else. I'll pull for the QB on my team. You have fun complaining. Pathetic. 

Dude you just complained about players on the team to defend a Wentz. Go back to hummin on his sack. 

This is a meaningless individual stat that matters little to nothing in the grand scheme of the Eagles winning. I don’t care if he throws for 5000 yards every season from here on out. If the Eagles are an 8 win team that whole time what doe it matter. It’s like having Phillip Rivers as your quarterback. 

Dude you just complained about players on the team to defend a Wentz. Go back to hummin on his sack. 

It is meaningless to you because it doesnt support your theory of Wentz being terrible.

It takes more then a QB to win Super Bowls. Eli Manning won a Super Bowl with a mediocre team where they squeaked into the playoffs even after having a game where he threw 5 INTs.

Football is a team sport, where a lot of teams are on equal footing. The goal is for these teams to make it to the playoffs one way or another. That is all I care about. I dont care how bad a division is. I dont care if the team goes 16-0 or beats WFT 70-0. Get to the playoffs.

Wentz has done that.

Ah that's better. So anyway bad game all around. I hope Lane and Sanders are back this week. We need them. I'm not gonna hit the panic button after week one but our line needs serious help. Get Lane some chicken soup and steroids. Whatever it takes.

Just now, pallidrone said:

It is meaningless to you because it doesnt support your theory of Wentz being terrible.

Just let him be miserable. It's what he wants.

8 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

It takes more then a QB to win Super Bowls. Eli Manning won a Super Bowl with a mediocre team where they squeaked into the playoffs even after having a game where he threw 5 INTs.

Football is a team sport, where a lot of teams are on equal footing. The goal is for these teams to make it to the playoffs one way or another. That is all I care about. I dont care how bad a division is. I dont care if the team goes 16-0 or beats WFT 70-0. Get to the playoffs.

Wentz has done that.

Wentz isn’t terrible and I’ve never stated that. He’s just not the guy everyone thought he was. Frankly with all of the things everyone claims he needs (elite receivers, elite run game, elite line, and elite coaches) in order for him to be called elite I don’t see how anyone can claim he is elite. The NFL is a team sport, but it’s not lost on me the Eagles are 14-14 in Carson’s last 28 starts. It’s also not lost on me that in 2018 after Carson got the team to 5-6, Foles came in and took that team to the playoffs and won a playoff game. Meanwhile every season Carson has been in the league he’s been injured and he’s finished his last three season with an injury. You can’t talk about winning Super Bowls with a guy who can’t stay on the field.

36 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I don't care if it was the worst division and I don't care how much they won by. It's a division title. In the NFL  Earned while throwing to PS players and College QB's playing WR. I think alot of you are out because he doesn't always play like a top 5 QB. Most don't. We still have a better one than alot of other teams. Wanna go back to the Bradford years?

There are plenty of times that he doesn’t even play like a top 10-15 QB. 

11 minutes ago, nipples said:

There are plenty of times that he doesn’t even play like a top 10-15 QB. 

It isn't that often. He has stinkers. Just like every other QB not on the Rushmore of QB all time. I'm way way more worried about the O line.

Wow new to this board, getting pretty heated.  I am middle of the road on Wentz, there are a lot of worse QBs starting in the league in most weeks.  That said, Wentz needs to be smarter with the situation on game day.   He needed to get rid of the ball quicker.    However, the coaches need to adjust play calls that fit that situation.   The O line needs to play better. 

Kelce is the only player on the O line I have any confidence in at present.  I cannot figure out how Lane Johnson's ankle keeps him out of game one.  The medical training staff had the off season to manage this.  Johnson has 10 fewer seasons than Peters but Peters has played more snaps as an Eagle from 2013 through last Sunday.  Johnson needs to be on the field.  

Yeah Wentz was really bad last weekend.  Not as bad as the medical staff and the front office wasting a valuable 2 round pick on your #3 QB.  QB was not a position of need,  Josh McCown nearly beat Seattle in the playoffs.  The Eagles rave about Sudfeld, even though we have barely seen him play.  Greg Ward can play QB in fact given the o line he might be the best option (sarcasm).

This doesn't all fall on Wentz. 

11 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

It isn't that often. He has stinkers. Just like every other QB not on the Rushmore of QB all time. I'm way way more worried about the O line.

It’s more often that you seem to think. 

Regardless, the entire point that some of us are trying to make isn’t that he’s a "bad” QB, but that he’s just not good enough. The majority of Super Bowl winners have an elite QB. It’s hard to win it with a guy who is just good but not great. It makes it even more challenging when that QB isn’t good enough and is being paid big money, taking away from how much can be out into the team around him  

What you DON’T want to do is become the Bengals, hanging onto an above average but not good enough QB for far too long. 

Archived