Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

How about building a crap team around him for starters? Btw Jefferson went over 1000 yards this weekend. You know the obvious choice Howie passed on. 

Wentz has the best TE tandem in the league, a dynamic RB in Sanders, Fulgham was doing well and Ward and Reagor have been productive.  He doesn't have "crap" around him.  And when he had his full strength O line he was playing like garbage with bad throws, bad decisions and bad footwork and pocket awareness.  You have to stop making excuses for Wentz.  He used to be a good player and worked himself out of these ruts. He's been awful this year and everyone in the nation knows it, it's on every talk show, every article and 99% of the fans realize it, even the team has now benched him in the last game.  Wake up.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Wentz has the best TE tandem in the league, a dynamic RB in Sanders, Fulgham was doing well and Ward and Reagor have been productive.  He doesn't have "crap" around him.  And when he had his full strength O line he was playing like garbage with bad throws, bad decisions and bad footwork and pocket awareness.  You have to stop making excuses for Wentz.  He used to be a good player and worked himself out of these ruts. He's been awful this year and everyone in the nation knows it, it's on every talk show, every article and 99% of the fans realize it, even the team has now benched him in the last game.  Wake up.

I have never in my life seen a QB so coddled as we have seen here. I have never in my life seen so many excuses for bad QB play...never. If this had been McNabb or Vick, they would have been benched 5 or 6 games ago. This board was merciless when they F up and it continued throughout the season even when their play got better. 

This is an enigma to me right now.....I have never seen anything like it

Yup if we had fans in the stadium he would have been benched 4 games ago.

I always thought there was absolutely no reason to extend this guy two years early with a premium contract, but the organization always insisted on it like a bunch of emotionally unstable morons.

3 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I have never in my life seen a QB so coddled as we have seen here. I have never in my life seen so many excuses for bad QB play...never. If this had been McNabb or Vick, they would have been benched 5 or 6 games ago. This board was merciless when they F up and it continued throughout the season even when their play got better. 

This is an enigma to me right now.....I have never seen anything like it

Howie Jr's... They just see the cap and what Wentz is being paid. To them that justifies being started.

22 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

McNabb?? He usually had good O-Lines here through his time here. Much more often than not. 

McNabb also mostly had substandard receivers and played under an era where they could get mugged all game. Anyone truly believe Carson could play with Na Brown, Torrance Small, Freddie Mitchell, Charles Johnson, and Jame Thrash for years all they while getting horse collar tackled by Roy Williams? Sorry I don’t think so. 

4 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I always thought there was absolutely no reason to extend this guy two years early with a premium contract, but the organization always insisted on it like a bunch of emotionally unstable morons.

I was definitely not big on them extending him when they did. I wanted them to wait a year at least. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh they've definitely done a fair few things bud. Drafting Hurts was up there. Not giving him a legit OL or addressing the ageing line. Not giving him legit weapons. But that also doesn't absolve him of blame either and that is the key here. 

I absolutely agree that drafting Hurts was dumb, but before this season PFF said the Eagles had a top ten line. It’s not the Eagles, fault they lost two starters before they even played a game. Howie threw money at and drafted receivers for Carson. He arguably has the best TE combination in football. They paid him 100 mil and most of it guaranteed. Other than drafting Hurts I do not buy this idea the Eagles tried to sabotage Wentz. With that being the case if Wentz didn’t finish the last three seasons injured I don’t think they would have drafted Hurts at all. Basically the last 4 years of Wentz career with the Eagles he’s been on the sidelines assuming he finishes this season benched. 

26 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I was definitely not big on them extending him when they did. I wanted them to wait a year at least. 

Everyone said that would cost them even more! I keep hearing how Carson’s contract is such a bargain. Well now they’re stuck to one of the statistically worst quarterbacks in football. 

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Everyone said that would cost them even more! I keep hearing how Carson’s contract is such a bargain. Well now they’re stuck to one of the statistically worst quarterbacks in football. 

They gambled and lost but the money is the least of their issues right now.   Can Wentz be fixed or traded and what happens now?

Just now, Mortimer said:

They gambled and lost but the money is the least of their issues right now.   Can Wentz be fixed or traded and what happens now?

Howie gambled and lost. If nothing else this could cost him his job. 

15 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Changes this off-season need to be made. This coach and QB can’t coexist. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carson asks to be traded either. The Eagles drafted Hurts and already created that rift. 

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I absolutely agree that drafting Hurts was dumb

I'd wager that the current situation shows that drafting another QB was not, in fact, dumb. Wentz has simply failed to prove himself. Given this, it would arguably be negligent not to acquire a potential replacement.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I'd wager that the current situation shows that drafting another QB was not, in fact, dumb. Wentz has simply failed to prove himself. Given this, it would arguably be negligent not to acquire a potential replacement.

Banking that your franchise quarterback will fail or even using a 2nd round pick as some kind of insurance to me is just a terrible move. I will think that even if Hurts becomes a HOF quarterback, because if they felt that way about Wentz then they never should have paid him. No matter how you look at it the Eagles created this mess. They say they believe in Wentz while drafting his replacement at the same time. It makes no sense. 

8 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I liked picking a QB, but not where they did.   But if they waited until the 5th round, they could've gotten another Clayton Thorson. 

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

if they felt that way about Wentz then they never should have paid him.

I think they basically started to feel this way after last season when he got injured in the playoffs. They tried to will this guy into being a franchise QB. It wasn't in the cards, but reality didn't set in until a year too late. Drafting Hurts was an "Oh sh**t!" move to me." It was an indirect admission by the FO that they they might've been wrong with Wentz. They screwed up and gave him a bad contract, so now they're trying to pick up the pieces. I think you can kill the FO all day long for that boneheaded extension, but I won't blame them for drafting an emergency option. It's the only reasonable response to Wentz's regression, if they're being honest with themselves. It would've been worse to continue ingnoring the need for a viable alternative.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

McNabb?? He usually had good O-Lines here through his time here. Much more often than not. 

On 12/7/2020 at 11:55 PM, vsptroops said:

That's ridiculous. Reid always built up through the lines. Mcnabb ran prior to his knee injury because he, like Wentz, excelled in it. It was after his knee surgery where he wanted to be known as a "pocket passer" and decided not to run.  Tra Thomas, Jon Runyan, Jamaal Jackson, Todd Herremans, Evan Mathis, Steve Wisnewski, Jason Peters (obviously prior to these last couple of years), Lane Johnson, and even Vatai are all names that were at the minimum above average to probable hall of famers. 

Yeah Mcnabb pretty much always had a good to very good line that stayed healthy - bad comparison.

A better comparison would be Mcnabb to 2019 Wentz. Both had good lines. The difference was Mcnabb didn’t have TEs as good as Goedert and Ertz for most of his career. And back then DBS could mug receivers.

The point is Mcnabb produced with pretty much no weapons. Cunningham is a better example - his line was much worse. Genuine turnstiles.

2 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah Mcnabb pretty much always had a good to very good line that stayed healthy - bad comparison.

A better comparison would be Mcnabb to 2019 Wentz. Both had good lines. The difference was Mcnabb didn’t have TEs as good as Goedert and Ertz for most of his career. And back then DBS could mug receivers.

The point is Mcnabb produced with pretty much no weapons. Cunningham is a better example - his line was much worse. Genuine turnstiles.

While I agree McNabb didn't have TE's quite as good as Ertz and Goedert, I don't think he had dreck to work with there either. Chad Lewis, Jeff Thomaston, Brent Celek, and even LJ Smith had some moments. 

Now his WRs for most of his time were quite bad.

3 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

While I agree McNabb didn't have TE's quite as good as Ertz and Goedert, I don't think he had dreck to work with there either. Chad Lewis, Jeff Thomaston, Brent Celek, and even LJ Smith had some moments. 

Now his WRs for most of his time were quite bad.

Yeah agreed - TEs were solid for Mcnabb, but Ertz and Goedert were both top 10 TEs last year.

12 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I think they basically started to feel this way after last season when he got injured in the playoffs. They tried to will this guy into being a franchise QB. It wasn't in the cards, but reality didn't set in until a year too late. Drafting Hurts was an "Oh sh**t!" move to me." It was an indirect admission by the FO that they they might've been wrong with Wentz. They screwed up and gave him a bad contract, so now they're trying to pick up the pieces. I think you can kill the FO all day long for that boneheaded extension, but I won't blame them for drafting an emergency option. It's the only reasonable response to Wentz's regression, if they're being honest with themselves. It would've been worse to continue ingnoring the need for a viable alternative.

I see where you’re coming from here. I do recall Howie mentioning that after the season they drafted based on which players were available and which weren’t. They began to have doubts on Wentz pretty much at that moment. I still don’t like how they went about it, but I hope they are right about Hurts. 

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

CARSON WENTZ HAS PLAYED LIKE GARBAGE AND DESERVED TO BE BENCHED!

Having said that, what are you talking about? Ertz and Goedert have barely been on the field together and Ertz just got back. Sanders has been banged up, getting hardly any touches and dropping passes. Fulgham has done nothing but drop the ball for weeks. Reagor has been injured a number of times and has made one great catch and had one great punt return among his lazy routes and drops. Ward has been productive in what way? Fair catching punts? The team has been down starters on the OL since week one (Brooks and Dillard).

He has been on a team ravaged by injuries for years now.

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

CARSON WENTZ HAS PLAYED LIKE GARBAGE AND DESERVED TO BE BENCHED!

Having said that, what are you talking about? Ertz and Goedert have barely been on the field together and Ertz just got back. Sanders has been banged up, getting hardly any touches and dropping passes. Fulgham has done nothing but drop the ball for weeks. Reagor has been injured a number of times and has made one great catch and had one great punt return among his lazy routes and drops. Ward has been productive in what way? Fair catching punts? The team has been down starters on the OL since week one (Brooks and Dillard).

He has been on a team ravaged by injuries for years now.

Man, that Carson Wentz is such a victim. Can't wait to hear all of the excuses when a project rookie QB drafted in the 2nd round out plays him this weekend.

Carson Wentz after the Eagles won the Superbowl to Nick Foles:

'That will be me next year bro'

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Banking that your franchise quarterback will fail or even using a 2nd round pick as some kind of insurance to me is just a terrible move. I will think that even if Hurts becomes a HOF quarterback, because if they felt that way about Wentz then they never should have paid him. No matter how you look at it the Eagles created this mess. They say they believe in Wentz while drafting his replacement at the same time. It makes no sense. 

What if Howie, Doug, and Lurie banked on Wentz. Tried to get everything he needed. Then injuries just happened, then Wentz failed. 

Archived