Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t know what play calling can fix a quarterback missing wide open receivers especially when they’re clearly open before the snap!

Precisely this. Doug is getting a real hard time right now and some of that is far. But right now what kind of scheme can they run with a QB this bad? It is impossible.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wentz biggest problem is his footwork. His foot placement prevents him from stepping into and following through on the throw. He often has his plant foot turned in which prevents fluid motion and follow through but even that isn't consistent. I see him trying to counter the throw by changing his trajectories but his footwork is so chaotic he ends up throwing the ball all over the place. His accuracy issues start with his feet but he'll need to relearn his mechanics once he gets his feet cleaned up to fix the bad habits he's developed from his feet not being right.

He was throwing while in a cast and he still looks like he is throwing with a cast. He never fixed the issues he patterned by throwing in a cast and his plant footwork has regressed. He needs a full off-season to fix all the issues but a few tweaks could get him on a decent path if people were brought in to fix it.

Watch Wentz throwing the int Monday night and go look at TB12 any time he's throwing from the pocket. TB12 is more up right with his feet shoulder length apart and ready to strike. He uses his body as a fulcrum and his foot placement allows him to follow through the throw. Wentz by contrast has his feet so far apart that he can't step into the throw and his plant foot is turned in so even if he could muscle through a wide base his own body placement would prevent a natural follow through. One of his biggest problems coming out of college was his wide foot placement. It takes him from a 6'6" guy to like a 5'10" guy because he's not standing up straight in the pocket. Still more of the same 5 years later.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's been 3 years man, not Clowney.  I think the main reason is Reich and Flip left and their replacements weren't good.  Plus injuries to him, teammate injuries giving him less to work with, and bad coaching.

In 2018 he was recovering from injury and had a chip on his shoulder after watching Foles win, and they erected a statue to him.  People have short memories, but on here a lot of fans were saying Wentz isn't right, he's timid after his injury.  There were reports Carson was working on his mechanics in the offseason.  Criticisms about his footwork and accuracy.

2019 he again was coming off a season ending injury and watching Foles step in and win a playoff game the year before.  He was healthy last year and played all 16 regular season games, but if you recall again people were critical of his decision making, accuracy and hero ball.  He had his starters and was struggling, then somehow at the end of the season with scrub backup receivers and a makeshift O line (granted against weaker teams), played better and closed out the season winning the division but he still had a shaky year.

It's not just this year.  And the status have been show that he's been average since 2018.  What's the main factor after 207?  Reich and Flip left.

THANK YOU!! I really REALLY wish people would stop blaming Clowney for this......

16 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

THANK YOU!! I really REALLY wish people would stop blaming Clowney for this......

I mean it could be a factor if he has any lasting effects from the concussion, and maybe more in his mind having a 3rd season in a row end with injury.  But it's not the main cause.

5 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

BRA, relax. Clowney isnt THE reason wentz is playing like ish regardless if i said clowney broke him. I was CLOWNING around...

!!!

23 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

BRA, relax. Clowney isnt THE reason wentz is playing like ish regardless if i said clowney broke him. I was CLOWNING around...

!!!

Go back from wentz you came!

10 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

!!!

I am very relaxed...however....I have seen more than once people blaming his issues on that one hit......so there is that.....

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

Go back from wentz you came!

LMAO!!

Buuurrrnnnnnn!!

On 12/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, NOTW said:

When he was drafted, the hype about him was that he was really, really smart.  That he was excellent with pre-snap reads and that he was going to eventually be like the next Peyton Manning practically calling his own plays out there because he is so smart and sees things so well, and then post-snap reads the defense so well.  

People are blaming the receivers and the O line and injuries...and then ignore plays like this.  

With wide open players like this I actually feel better about starting Hurts. I mean c'mon,  even Suds would've hit one of those players.

And you're right, a concussion doesn't fully explain stuff like this, but he is playing like a scared rabbit back there. The sacks and hits have definitely taken a toll, even though many of those have been because of Wentz himself.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, EaglesfanfromND said:

This is what makes me think something is still messed up in his head from that concussion. 

It's probably the marriage, I'm not saying it's a bad marriage because I don't have the slightest clue about it, what I do know is what everyone else knows about newlyweds, there's a period of adjustment involved and I'm sure he's still in that period.

Folks can lose themselves during this period of adjustment by spending too much time wondering WTF is wrong with my spouse, only after accepting them for who they are can they carry on with their goals.  

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

It's probably the marriage, I'm not saying it's a bad marriage because I don't have the slightest clue about it, what I do know is what everyone else knows about newlyweds, there's a period of adjustment involved and I'm sure he's still in that period.

Folks can lose themselves during this period of adjustment by spending too much time wondering WTF is wrong with my spouse, only after accepting them for who they are can they carry on with their goals.

I think there have been many, many NFL players, including quarterbacks, who have gotten married in the middle of their careers and not suffered any fall off in quality of play.

35 minutes ago, CHIP72 said:

I think there have been many, many NFL players, including quarterbacks, who have gotten married in the middle of their careers and not suffered any fall off in quality of play.

He thinks the Earth is flat. He’s not happy unless he turns something into a conspiracy. 

On 12/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, EaglesfanfromND said:

This is what makes me think something is still messed up in his head from that concussion. 

I've been saying it for weeks.  This is the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about.  Just because a player "clears" the concussion protocol, does not necessarily mean they are "in the clear" mentally.  Some of the more severe concussions can take months (even years) to recover from.  Another aspect that people seem to conveniently ignore is that every time you get a "new" concussion, they typically get worse and take longer to recover from.  

Anyone who played sports in high school (or even rough house) knows that concussions at that age/level rarely get diagnosed.  College to a lesser extent but they get missed there as well.  And even in the NFL, if you're not "acting funny" or if the hit to the head wasn't blatantly obvious, milder concussions likely get "missed" as well.  So for all we know, Carson may have had several concussions throughout his lifetime which could have made the "Clowney concussion" that much worse.

I truly feel for the guy because if it is the concussions, it's something completely out of his control.   

On 12/2/2020 at 9:43 AM, EricAllenPick6 said:

A big question is the coaching: is Carson not being coached well or is he just not listening to his coach?

This isn't meant to "bash Wentz" but there have been "whispers" around the league since the 2018 season that Wentz was much less coachable than Foles was at the time.  Basically, Foles listened to his coaches, was happy to make adjustments, etc while Wentz relied more on his natural gifted ability...more so than the coaches, etc. 

Wentz is the "hero ball/gunslinger".  The problem with this is that if something happens (injury/concussions, etc) and throws off your mechanics, timing, etc...you continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.  You continue to do what "comes naturally" to you because it's all you know and it's what got you there....but when you do it now, it no longer works because your mechanics are a mess and your decision making/reflexes, etc are all off.

(Whether it's due to the concussion/injuries, etc is anyone's guess but it's obvious he is not the same player he was last year, let alone 2017.)

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He thinks the Earth is flat. He’s not happy unless he turns something into a conspiracy. 

I'll tell you what else I think, I think I'm going to report this comment to the Mods, that'll give you some time to remember what flavor your are.

Just now, EagleVA said:

I'll tell you what else I think, I think I'm going to report this comment to the Mods, that'll give you some time to remember what flavor your are.

What flavor your are? 

Speak English much?

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

What flavor your are? 

Speak English much?

Done, you'll have time to figure it out.

6 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Wentz: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Mandrake: No.
Wentz: But I... I do deny them my essence.

I know this guy is just some random YouTube jamoke, and it’s kind of long, but he does put an interesting spin on Carson’s troubles. He highlights some of Carson’s mechanical issues to go with his questionable decision making. Bottom line he doesn’t  think Carson can be fixed at least until after the season if ever at all. He also makes it clear the Doug is a primary reason this stuff is happening, because he’s putting his substandard quarterback and offense in bad situations. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I know this guy is just some random YouTube jamoke, and it’s kind of long, but he does put an interesting spin on Carson’s troubles. He highlights some of Carson’s mechanical issues to go with his questionable decision making. Bottom line he doesn’t  think Carson can be fixed at least until after the season if ever at all. He also makes it clear the Doug is a primary reason this stuff is happening, because he’s putting his substandard quarterback and offense in bad situations. 

I haven't seen the video, but my thoughts have been Wentz won't be fixed this season obviously, and I also believe he won't be fixed going forward as long as he is under the Howie and Doug structure, which means he needs to be traded, or Lurie needs to clean house. Of course, Wentz needs to fix the things in him he can fix as well.

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I haven't seen the video, but my thoughts have been Wentz won't be fixed this season obviously, and I also believe he won't be fixed going forward as long as he is under the Howie and Doug structure, which means he needs to be traded, or Lurie needs to clean house. Of course, Wentz needs to fix the things in him he can fix as well.

Even if by some chance Lurie brings the entire band back for another year there is ZERO reason to bring back Press Taylor. Carson’s fundamentals have fallen to the point of being egregious. Someone needs to take the blame for this and Doug should permanently lose playcalling. Personally I don’t think Howie should be back and whoever comes in should decide if he wants to stick with Doug or find someone else. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even if by some chance Lurie brings the entire band back for another year there is ZERO reason to bring back Press Taylor. Carson”s fundamentals have fallen to the point of being egregious. Someone needs to take the blame for this and Doug should permanently lose playcalling. Personally I don’t think Howie should be back and whoever comes in should decide if he wants to stick with Doug or find someone else. 

I agree. I have this bad feeling that this team is 2 years beyond the firing of Howie from competing for anything of significance. 

Archived